Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

A pox on the shingles vaccine!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pox on the shingles vaccine!

I finally caved to pressure from my primary care doctor, and the fear-mongering tactics of the advertisers, and submitted to a shingles vaccination this year. Good grief. The vaccination itself was painful....I thought it would never end. The next day I had a headache and nausea, and a sore arm. Two days later, a dozen dark red spots on each calf, plus golf-ball sized swelling under each arm (with a walnut-sized lump atop one of these to boot!), major redness around the injection site and increased soreness (pain!). After a few more days my right eyelid swelled up and turned purple.

These symptoms didn't subside for a month, and weren't completely gone for six full weeks. Yes, I filed a complaint with the CDC...as well as with my doctor.

But that wasn't the last of it. Four months later, I had a SECOND round of shingles, confirmed by my doc. Her assessment: "This vaccine is only 50% effective, and you may have had a worse case of shingles if you hadn't had it." My thought....maybe I wouldn't have had it at all?

Now I hear "they" have a new and improved vaccine that is supposedly 100% effective...or some such thing. I remain highly skeptical.

What say you?
    "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Originally posted by christdependent View Post
    I finally caved to pressure from my primary care doctor, and the fear-mongering tactics of the advertisers, and submitted to a shingles vaccination this year. Good grief. The vaccination itself was painful....I thought it would never end. The next day I had a headache and nausea, and a sore arm. Two days later, a dozen dark red spots on each calf, plus golf-ball sized swelling under each arm (with a walnut-sized lump atop one of these to boot!), major redness around the injection site and increased soreness (pain!). After a few more days my right eyelid swelled up and turned purple.

These symptoms didn't subside for a month, and weren't completely gone for six full weeks. Yes, I filed a complaint with the CDC...as well as with my doctor.

But that wasn't the last of it. Four months later, I had a SECOND round of shingles, confirmed by my doc. Her assessment: "This vaccine is only 50% effective, and you may have had a worse case of shingles if you hadn't had it." My thought....maybe I wouldn't have had it at all?

Now I hear "they" have a new and improved vaccine that is supposedly 100% effective...or some such thing. I remain highly skeptical.

What say you?
    So sorry you had to go through all that. I had read that the shingles vaccine can cause the shingles. It always takes some time to get it right. I remember when they first came out with the flu vaccine. It made many people sick and some even died.

My mother had a very serious case of the shingles which she never fully recovered from. It damaged her heart and she died a few years later.

They say 1 in 3 adults will get shingles. I don't know which is worse: doing nothing or risking getting it from a vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake1254 View Post

So sorry you had to go through all that. I had read that the shingles vaccine can cause the shingles. It always takes some time to get it right. I remember when they first came out with the flu vaccine. It made many people sick and some even died.

My mother had a very serious case of the shingles which she never fully recovered from. It damaged her heart and she died a few years later.

They say 1 in 3 adults will get shingles. I don't know which is worse: doing nothing or risking getting it from a vaccine.
      I considered the odds for many years before finally succumbing to all the pressure and scare tactics. Yes, 1 in 3 is what I heard, which automatically means most people will not get it. Now if my statistical analysis is correct, this means that this shingles vaccination can actually be expected to prevent only 50% of 33% of the population from contracting this disease. I don't call that a very good reason for everyone on the planet to be encouraged to take the risk that clearly accompanies the vaccine itself.

I'm sorry your mom had such a bad experience. When it comes to vaccinations, it's all just a crapshoot, methinks....so each person must be proactively engaged in becoming well-informed and doing everything possible to maintain optimum health apart from all these medications. (I've never had more respiratory ailments than I've endured since I finally begun to roll up my sleeve to keep the experts off my back).
      "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Comment

I considered the odds for many years before finally succumbing to all the pressure and scare tactics. Yes, 1 in 3 is what I heard, which automatically means most people will not get it. Now if my statistical analysis is correct, this means that this shingles vaccination can actually be expected to prevent only 50% of 33% of the population from contracting this disease. I don't call that a very good reason for everyone on the planet to be encouraged to take the risk that clearly accompanies the vaccine itself.

I'm sorry your mom had such a bad experience. When it comes to vaccinations, it's all just a crapshoot, methinks....so each person must be proactively engaged in becoming well-informed and doing everything possible to maintain optimum health apart from all these medications. (I've never had more respiratory ailments than I've endured since I finally begun to roll up my sleeve to keep the experts off my back).
        I have been told that those who never had chicken pox cannot get shingles. One needs to have the chicken pox virus still in their body to reactivate later into shingles.

No one in my family remembers if I had chicken pox as a child. I have no existing medical records from my very young childhood. The doctor that cared for me had a tiny private practice in his home. He passed away many years ago and any records that were not claimed have been destroyed.

I would prefer to get whatever protection I can to decrease or prevent my chances of getting shingles. However, unless a vaccine can increase the percentage of success rate, I would rather not receive it.

It was believed that my mom contracted shingles from my niece and nephew who both had chicken pox at the same time. I don't know if that is possible.

Comment

I have been told that those who never had chicken pox cannot get shingles. One needs to have the chicken pox virus still in their body to reactivate later into shingles.

No one in my family remembers if I had chicken pox as a child. I have no existing medical records from my very young childhood. The doctor that cared for me had a tiny private practice in his home. He passed away many years ago and any records that were not claimed have been destroyed.

I would prefer to get whatever protection I can to decrease or prevent my chances of getting shingles. However, unless a vaccine can increase the percentage of success rate, I would rather not receive it.

It was believed that my mom contracted shingles from my niece and nephew who both had chicken pox at the same time. I don't know if that is possible.
          My mom was of hardy country stock and believed that the best way for us all to grow up strong and healthy as horses was to be well exposed to everything that came down the pike. So when she learned that someone in the neighborhood had chicken pox (also mumps), she made sure to take us over there so we got it, too.

We did grow up healthy as horses, but you're right....the shingles virus never leaves once you've had chicken pox. Quite a few people in my big family have had shingles, but I do think I'm the first to have good reason to think it was triggered by the vaccine. And statistically, we're still pretty normal. Most have NOT had shingles.

As I said, though, I am told that "they" are now claiming that the new and improved vaccine is pretty much guaranteed to prevent shingles. If that claim is proven to be true, then I see no reason not to get it....except to adopt a wait and see position for awhile.

Comment

My mom was of hardy country stock and believed that the best way for us all to grow up strong and healthy as horses was to be well exposed to everything that came down the pike. So when she learned that someone in the neighborhood had chicken pox (also mumps), she made sure to take us over there so we got it, too.

We did grow up healthy as horses, but you're right....the shingles virus never leaves once you've had chicken pox. Quite a few people in my big family have had shingles, but I do think I'm the first to have good reason to think it was triggered by the vaccine. And statistically, we're still pretty normal. Most have NOT had shingles.

As I said, though, I am told that "they" are now claiming that the new and improved vaccine is pretty much guaranteed to prevent shingles. If that claim is proven to be true, then I see no reason not to get it....except to adopt a wait and see position for awhile.

I hope you are feeling at least somewhat better. What my mom went through was horrible. Took 6 months before the spots were gone and she got some strength back, but she had a lot of scars.

I am not 60+ which is when they recommend we get vaccinated. I will wait and see what happens when I reach that age.

Your mom sounds a lot like the generation of my grandparents and parents.

Comment

You could have a blood titre done to see if you've had the chicken pox. If it shows you haven't had it then you could get the chicken pox (varicella) vaccine. You can't get the shingles if you've never had the chicken pox, but you can get the chicken pox from somebody who has the shingles.
              Bring together all who wander from the feast you consecrate,
              and restore that grace we squander with divisions we create.

Comment

One of the reasons for the uptick in shingles and therefore the push for the vaccine is because of the chicken pox vaccine being introduced. Adults used to get an immunity boost to the chicken pox virus that lays dormant after having the chickenpox in the body, but can resurface later and cause shingles, every time they came in contact with a child who had the chicken pox, so grandchildren, niece and nephews kids etc. Now they aren't getting that immunity boost so shingles is on the rise. The hope is that those who get the chicken pox vaccine will never get the shingles, but that remains to be seen because some people who get the chicken pox vaccine actually get a mild case of the chicken pox, sometimes unknown to them as it will only be one or two spots. This means at minimum those adults will still be at risk for shingles and honestly nobody knows about the others yet as the vaccine has only been on the schedule for the last 20 years.
                Bring together all who wander from the feast you consecrate,
                and restore that grace we squander with divisions we create.

Comment

What say you?

When I turned 60- I turn 63 this month, the gal at Rite Aid "sold" me on the shingles vaccine as it is included in my health plan.

I didn't have any bad reactions, and I haven't got the shingles either.

Comment

Working...
                  X