Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Has anyone here ever had bronchial pneumonia?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone here ever had bronchial pneumonia?

I am getting over a case of it. I had the flu really badly on New Year's day, which, a few days later, developed into bronchial pneumonia, in my bronchial tubes and upper lungs. I almost passed out at the doctor's office, after getting weighed. I had a fever of nearly 102. I could breathe fine, but had an awful cough. Yes, I got my flu shot and also, 7 years ago, I gotvthe pneumonia shot. It wasn't the Previnar ne, though.

Has anyone else on here ever had that? Is it normal for the cough to linger? My temp has been normal for 17 days. I was put on antibiotics, Tamiflu, and steroids. After 9ne dose of e ach, I could tell the difference. Good stuff!
    "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
    "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
    "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

I haven't had it but I have congenital veinous pulmonic stenosis (narrowing of the pulmonary vein from lung to heart) and am always at risk of developing bronchitis and then worse (like pneumonia). When I get the flu or a cold I suffer through the viral part but then usually get a bacterial infection. Doctors have learned long ago prescribing antibiotics for the flu is a waste of time, effort, money, and medication but in my case the bacterial infection is real (countless lab tests over my 60 years). My medical records help the doctors to know prescription doses of guaifenesin and an albuterol inhaler are sop (the former is now available otc).

I knew a men who died of pneumonia consequent to the flu. He died the same day he'd been seen by the doctor! Doctor sent him home when she should have sent him to the hospital. I was on the phone talking with a housemate when I heard him collapse. CPR resuscitated him and the EMTs reported he was conscious when leaving the house but arrived DOA. Serious stuff. I guess you probably know there are viral, bacterial, and fungal forms of pneumonia. The air sacs of the lungs fill with fluids (mucus and pus) and a person suffocates. The fever is indicative of the bodies immune response to the infection.

I've been feeling better from the cold I suffered for the better part of two weeks and I'm still feeling a little congested but it's turned from a phlegmy cough to more of a "dry" cough. I should probably stay on the guaifenesin but am feeling so much better I'm trying to stop all the meds.

What's "normal" is what's normal for you. Take care of yourself, thank God for the knowledge and wisdom of modern medicine and stick to the med regimen religiously. I'm glad the antibiotics worked. I got sick but no one else in the house has even had a sniffle. I'll add this: we have a sleep number bed with all the bells and whistles and elevating the head of the bed like a hospital bed was great! So if you don't have one of those save your money ($4-8k, but check Craigslist because we paid $1200 still in the unopened box!). One of the best purchases I've ever made. Sleep like I've haven't slept since before the kids were born (20 years ago).
    All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Oh, wow, I have never heard of your condition. I can see how any upper respiratory infection would be serious, even a cold. I am fortunate I had walking pneumonia and my husband came home the day I saw the PA. After one dose of all my meds, I could feel the difference. I am still on 1200 mg. of guaifinisin every 12 hours and take phenylephrine every 4 hours. They reallynhelp. Oddly , I tend to cough more in the daytime, than at night. Hubby was finally able to move back into our bedroom, as I rarely cough at night anymore.

But if I am still coughing next week, I will go back to see the PA, to make sure I do not have a sinus infection or still a touch of pneumonia, though I feel fine and have no temp and my appetite is normal.
      I hope and pray you continue to feel better!
      "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
      "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
      "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
        Oh, wow, I have never heard of your condition. I can see how any upper respiratory infection would be serious, even a cold. I am fortunate I had walking pneumonia and my husband came home the day I saw the PA. After one dose of all my meds, I could feel the difference. I am still on 1200 mg. of guaifinisin every 12 hours and take phenylephrine every 4 hours. They reallynhelp. Oddly , I tend to cough more in the daytime, than at night. Hubby was finally able to move back into our bedroom, as I rarely cough at night anymore.

But if I am still coughing next week, I will go back to see the PA, to make sure I do not have a sinus infection or still a touch of pneumonia, though I feel fine and have no temp and my appetite is normal.
        I hope and pray you continue to feel better!
        Blessings and prayers for you. (and big hugs)

All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Originally posted by Josheb View Post
          Blessings and prayers for you. (and big hugs)
          Thanks, same to you.

I went back yesterday to the Physician's assistant who treated me when I went to him 3 weeks. ago. I still had a lingering cough and a crackling in my chest sometimes, when I breathed deeply, which would make me cough. He listened thoroughly to my chest, front and back and though my lungs were clear, he could hear the crackling. I told him I could hear it when I breathed deeply, and it sounded like a bowl of Rice Crispies, which made him laugh. He said I did not have bronchitis, but bronchiolitis--that is also what the CT scan also showed. He put me on a stronger dose of steroids for the next two weeks, that I will gradually taper off on, and a steroid inhaler. They really worked! i managed to get in two doses of each before bedtime. I slept until 12:30 AM--when I woke up with a violent coughing fit that lasted for several minutes, alarming my husband. I nearly threw up. When I finally quit ,I had a headache from it and was thoroughly exhausted. He said maybe this was the new meds going to work. He may be right, because, after coughing a few more times--just lightly--I suddenly quit. I haven't coughed but once or twice since I got up this morning at 7:30 and took more of my meds. And those coughs were dry. So, I am so glad that I went back the the PA. I guess the bronchioles are getting shrunk by the steroids, so I can finally get rid of all that gunk. My husband jokingly said "Better living through chemistry!" I am so glad I went back!

Comment

Working...
          X