Video Game Violence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Game Violence

Why or why not should teenagers, or adults, be allowed to play violent video games? Are there long term consequences to being exposed to violent video games? Do you think these games are desensitizing the youth and if these games are allowed, what is the appropriate age?

Originally posted by Short Blonde View Post
    Why or why not should teenagers, or adults, be allowed to play violent video games? Are there long term consequences to being exposed to violent video games? Do you think these games are desensitizing the youth and if these games are allowed, what is the appropriate age?
    I have a problem with your use of the word 'allowed'. Especially when connected with adults.

As to the rest of your op, I believe that there can well be long term consequences. My understanding is that the military utilizes these games for very specific reasons. Do these games, and if fact tv shows or movies, have desensitizing effects? Some sya yes, some no. Personally, I really don't know for sure, although I suspect that answer would be yes. But again, I have a potential problem with your use of the word 'allowed'. As to age...again, I can only answer with a resounding "I don't know", but I think it should be an age that parents feel their children can mentally and emotionally deal with the violent aspects of said games. That said, under NO circumstance can I see using "The Game (or movie or TV show) made me do it" as a valid defense in a criminal case. Generally speaking, people are responsible for their actions.
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will suffice. Unknowm Author

"That's Nice" Agnes Brown

ďItís the Holy Spiritís job to convict, Godís job to judge, and itís my job to love.Ē

Comment

Need there be "long-term" consequences? (Though I believe there are.)
      Don't short-term consequences affect this topic?
      I wiped my slate clean and followed only biblical data to see if Unitarianism was true. After 40 weeks, I knew it was impossible.
      After 5 years, only 4 were even capable of interacting with the English part of the exegeses, so I am mostly inactive.

Comment

Originally posted by ACAinstructor View Post
        Need there be "long-term" consequences? (Though I believe there are.)
        Don't short-term consequences affect this topic?
        Short term or long term. Does it really matter which? Ultimately, I think the topic is asking if these games cause problems. To this, I say "I don't know" although I suspect they do. And they can provide yet another built in excuse in a courtroom. I have read numerous articles in the past several years (this is not a new issue) where this has come up concerning tv & movie violence as well as video games.
        For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will suffice. Unknowm Author

"That's Nice" Agnes Brown

ďItís the Holy Spiritís job to convict, Godís job to judge, and itís my job to love.Ē

Comment

I do believe that we are like computers; what we program in comes out in spades!

Comment

When it comes to consequences, it's a tough question to answer. Although, many have claimed that violent video games can potentially have long term consequences particularly on teenagers. With respect to violent video games, the effect may not affect everyone the same way because people don't react to things the same way. It may take some time for the negative impact to hold, but I don't think that it's a wise thing for a christian parent to allow his children to indulge in playing violent video game. Since Satan is an opportunist, this type of activities may give him a pathway in order to make to desensitize young people that are doing this thing.

Comment

I played videos games for a long time, almost always violent. I was raised to value human life, so violence was always something to use to get rid of the bad guys to save innocent people, for example. I would be concerned about a teenager playing, not just violent games, but games where (context) you play the bad guy, the murderer, not the LAW enforcement officer.

Really though, I say its not the violent games that are the issue, but games in general are a problem. For me, games are an opportunity to tune out of the real world, ignore God, and waste my life seeking pleasure, which really isnt all that different from seeking pleasure from other sources, like sex, drugs, attention, etc.

Obviously some people play games for a short time, and stop and go about their day, without the problems I mentioned, and thats great. Only a hedonist would say, on their death bed, "I should have played more games"

Cutting down, or removing games altogether, cannot have negative consequences. Now I dont play games anymore, not even flash games, but I played halo 4 the other day with a friend of mine because he gets lonely and depressed and he's facing surgery and I saw it as an opportunity to do him good. Halo 4 btw, is a futurist WAR game!
              "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth" (not the powerful)
              -Jesus

Comment

Playing video games is the same as a hobby, or a pastime, such as playing a game of backgammon or scrabble. But, I know that the objections will be ask is with the content. So, what is the difference with playing violent video games, than with watching violent television shows, or watching violent movies, or reading violent literature, or viewing violent visual arts?

Why are the complains always restricted to video games, or why are video games treated as "very special" and not to entertainment and popular culture as a whole?

Comment

They should be allowed to because not allowing them to is a violation of their human rights. There are no scientifically verified negative consequences for any given individual having played any amount of violent video games or watching violence in movies/tv. Socially speaking, however, on the whole violence has decreased overall since the rise of violent video games. I have no idea if there is a causal link between the two, and there probably isn't, but there certainly isn't the opposite: that as video games become more prevalent and violent society should expect more violence.

The appropriate age depends on the maturity of the person in question.
                  Some people are educated beyond their intellect.

Comment

I think the reason there is so much violence in video games, is because that the people that make/play these games have pent up anger for the state that they live in. It's a thirst for revolution, not violence. Well, atleast, for some people living in America. I'm not sure about most other countries, since others have it pretty well off.

I'm not advocating communism, I'm just saying.. people are tired of the corrupt hole we live in, and it's starting to subtly show in unregulated industries like these.

Comment

I feel like it should not matter if teen's play violent video game's I know i do all the time with my friend's and we don't go out and go shoot thing's cause of a video game we all know what is right and what is wrong now It's up to the person to make that decision. my friends and I are Christians and we do ministry for god cause we know what we have to do and violent video game's will not stop us from what we are doing.

Comment

Many people have the belief that playing violent video games causes violence in kids. This can be true. James Bulger was a 2 year old in the UK, who was kidnapped in a shopping centre by two 10 year olds. The boys then tortured and killed the boy. They were playing video games. The question is - are you mature enough to play the game(s) and will you understand that it is wrong to be violent in real life?

Comment

Working...
                        X