Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Writing a Christian Fantasy, the book has the real Biblical God as creator.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing a Christian Fantasy, the book has the real Biblical God as creator.

So, My book is an Urban Fantasy and I would like to know what other Christians think of my world building method. I didn't want to make a fake God, I wanted to use the real one. So here it goes.

God creates the world, this world includes Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes Ect.
    God exulted man over all created things, the other created life flourished beside these men. Eventually jealousy burned in the hearts of the non-humans and they rebelled, they all conspired together and tricked the humans into turning on God.
    God punishes them by Erasing all record of there existence, using Noah's flood and banishes them. They may no longer live among men.
    Cause, they were created so long ago and Isolated. They all bare Hebrew names. and cause they are not human, they are taught that they may not receive Christ. (they are wrong).
    Magic is in the book however, It can only be taught to humans that are trained by elves. Evil magic is also in the book, it is the sorcery and such from the bible, it resembles the real life magic and the Elven magic is more like fantasy wizards.

So, let me know what ya think.. ;-)
    Last edited by Philipscot; 09-19-17, 05:43 PM.

Originally posted by Philipscot View Post
    So, My book is an Urban Fantasy and I would like to know what other Christians think of my world building method. I didn't want to make a fake God, I wanted to use the real one. So here it goes.

God exulted man over all created things, the other created life flourished beside these men. Eventually jealousy burned in the hearts of the non-humans and they rebelled, they all conspired together and tricked the humans into turning on God.
    God punishes them by Erasing all record of there existence, using Noah's flood and banishes them. They may no longer live among men.
    Cause, they were created so long ago and Isolated. They all bare Hebrew names. and cause they are not human, they are taught that they may not receive Christ. (they are wrong).
    Magic is in the book however, It can only be taught to humans that are trained by elves. Evil magic is also in the book, it is the sorcery and such from the bible, it resembles the real life magic and the Elven magic is more like fantasy wizards.

Sounds to me like a worthless effort that will only confuse things. Of course if all you want to do is make MONEY - it might work nicely for you - in the short term at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Philipscot View Post

How and why a serpent that was already far more intelligent than us, and already in rebellion against God managed to get access to us alone, right near that particular tree, in the Garden that was still exactly how God had made it...and just how a city of potential wives for the first boys who should have existed on the planet... who the Nephilim, and Giants and Angels are and how do they fit in... the difference between Old Testament times where miracles impressed and Angels visiting was amazing, not just quite the earth shattering event it would be today...making them far more magical times... just how much was forgotten after the flood and which parts were resigned to myth and fairytale...are all unanswered questions which have lead me to invent some of my own probably just fantasy fillers...and I'm not surprised they parallel what you've described pretty well...

I think all of what we do need to know or have access to has been written and preserved in the Bible, and that is saying a lot. Just not everything... There are a lot of unknowns and questions the Bible raises rather than answers, and speculating (or just freeing your imagination to romp) through them is a rather touchy subject to Christians and it's not hard to see why... I'd strongly suggest you pray that God strike you illiterate before He allow you to confuse or mislead anyone in anyway. If it is a task you undertake in His service and for His glory, He will tweak it as you go along... All you need do is then let Him...

[in one of my la la lands, we resisted taking the bite and grew up around the tree making sure it's forbidden nature was the first lesson learned... Today it is [buried away from the public in the compound built up around it since we concluded digging it up and moving it to a secret place probably wasn't smart][...lost in some forest for all the other trees it looks like][unknowing smashed under some Walmart parking lot][..the focus of every secret society who wars for control of it...but how would that Mad Max thing work if we'd never fallen? ...and have we landed yet?] ...Cool subject you won't get much response to... My mind races then hits the wall again leaving half-truth half- *** stories waiting to prove my brilliance once I'm ten feet under and begin to know the real weird facts... like why the idea of a horse with a horn is myth while whales with one is such an easy reality... -k. now I'm done... Good bless and God luck.
      My imaginary friend is smarter, and meaner than me. Both what I would never, and could never dream up if I were able to want to... Proof bites.

Comment

Originally posted by Kokugno View Post

How and why a serpent that was already far more intelligent than us, and already in rebellion against God managed to get access to us alone, right near that particular tree, in the Garden that was still exactly how God had made it...and just how a city of potential wives for the first boys who should have existed on the planet... who the Nephilim, and Giants and Angels are and how do they fit in... the difference between Old Testament times where miracles impressed and Angels visiting was amazing, not just quite the earth shattering event it would be today...making them far more magical times... just how much was forgotten after the flood and which parts were resigned to myth and fairytale...are all unanswered questions which have lead me to invent some of my own probably just fantasy fillers...and I'm not surprised they parallel what you've described pretty well...

I think all of what we do need to know or have access to has been written and preserved in the Bible, and that is saying a lot. Just not everything... There are a lot of unknowns and questions the Bible raises rather than answers, and speculating (or just freeing your imagination to romp) through them is a rather touchy subject to Christians and it's not hard to see why... I'd strongly suggest you pray that God strike you illiterate before He allow you to confuse or mislead anyone in anyway. If it is a task you undertake in His service and for His glory, He will tweak it as you go along... All you need do is then let Him...

[in one of my la la lands, we resisted taking the bite and grew up around the tree making sure it's forbidden nature was the first lesson learned... Today it is [buried away from the public in the compound built up around it since we concluded digging it up and moving it to a secret place probably wasn't smart][...lost in some forest for all the other trees it looks like][unknowing smashed under some Walmart parking lot][..the focus of every secret society who wars for control of it...but how would that Mad Max thing work if we'd never fallen? ...and have we landed yet?] ...Cool subject you won't get much response to... My mind races then hits the wall again leaving half-truth half- *** stories waiting to prove my brilliance once I'm ten feet under and begin to know the real weird facts... like why the idea of a horse with a horn is myth while whales with one is such an easy reality... -k. now I'm done... Good bless and God luck.
        Thank you for your input, As to original sin, I should have made it clearer. Nothing in the Bible is changed in the story, The fantasy characters had there own fall. Man still has theirs and, The fantasy races are actually seen the same as humans, by God. They see themselves as different and that causes their division. My reason for wanting to write it, Is that I love fantasy stories, but I don't like the pagan God's or godless stories. Think of all the atheist that spend time reading fantasy and get excited about these fake God's, let them see how much greater it could be with the real God used as creator.

Comment

I understand your motive and admire your goals...the vehicle is gonna be rough though I'd imagine...(C.S. Lewis was the master imo). As a pre-critique based just on the little you have described..."nothing in the bible is changed in the story" followed by the mention of "fantasy creatures" not in the original version IS changing the story... If God sees them as the exact same, but we see them as worthy of segregation, one has to ask why God bothered to create what would be used to divide us and be the source of rancor and violence (assuming)... Why do you think He created different species and different races of human beings? Does He truly see no differences? or if so where and why? Sprinkling in classic myth or fantasy characters that are just like us but for the superficial appearance isn't going to detract from the Christian themes atheists want to avoid, and you must stick with.

Do you have a quick plot summary you can share? Or is it meant to be the Bible JRR Tolkien version?
          My imaginary friend is smarter, and meaner than me. Both what I would never, and could never dream up if I were able to want to... Proof bites.

Comment

I understand your motive and admire your goals...the vehicle is gonna be rough though I'd imagine...(C.S. Lewis was the master imo). As a pre-critique based just on the little you have described..."nothing in the bible is changed in the story" followed by the mention of "fantasy creatures" not in the original version IS changing the story... If God sees them as the exact same, but we see them as worthy of segregation, one has to ask why God bothered to create what would be used to divide us and be the source of rancor and violence (assuming)... Why do you think He created different species and different races of human beings? Does He truly see no differences? or if so where and why? Sprinkling in classic myth or fantasy characters that are just like us but for the superficial appearance isn't going to detract from the Christian themes atheists want to avoid, and you must stick with.

Do you have a quick plot summary you can share? Or is it meant to be the Bible JRR Tolkien version?
            Sure, Ill share. ;-) Book one is simply, the growth of the Heroin. She goes to the elves with her mother. (Reveals Elven culture and how humans are selected)

King Adniel. An Knight. He trained a pair of twin boys in his youth, they were incredibly close and there bond led them to be an amazing pair. When one died was murdered, the living brother recruited and trained an army, they were the knights templar. Much blood was spilt after the rebellious boy used his training to start the order. Adniel, was greived deeply buy this and wrote the law, only one heir per family and two trained could not be married. He would never again allow two of the same generation to be trained and share close ties.

Eliana (Elven princess), Eliana trained the mother of the Heroin. When said mother, fell in love with another student. The king was outraged and demanded they be separated. Eliana took pity on the girl and allowed the pair to be together. When it all came to a head, the King met privately with his daughter and told her strongly, the two would complete their training and their lines will die with them. The compassionate princess would not relent, she accepted partial responsibility for them and accepted the punishment, she would be able to bring in students, but could never train a student again. (An harsh sentence for elves, they are not saved and love to train these God touched humans.) She does not reveal to her student what has happened, only that her to be husband would not be able to select an heir. Elaian and her protege often squabble about the past, with Eliana insisting that the laws need to be obeyed, and the protege demanding that her daughter not be led to deny her heart.

Patricia, Mother of Diana(Heroin). Patricia is a wizard, trained by Eliana. She is saved and leads by her heart. She often finds herself, leaping before she looks. Lives by faith, but tends to be over confident in her judgments. Her daughter, was afflicted with ammonia and lost her hearing. She has caused great loss for Eliana and has no idea about the cost that has been payed.

Diana, Young girl. She travels to Elvendale to be trained as a great ranger like her father. She is much closer to her mother, but her personality is not suited to a wizards style. she is far too direct and enjoys being active. Not into reading stuffy old books. She also is saved and glows brightly with the spirit.

Paul is a Paladin, His father is a minister and Veteran. His mother is an adulterer. His father hides his wife's affair from the congregation. In book one this paladin is a noble and Godly character that is full of life and submits gladly to God's will. he is on fire for the lord in all he does. In book two, he will be older and broken, The congregation had discovered the affair, the family stays together, but the mother cant get over the anguish she has caused. The father comes home with a heart shaped box of candies to celebrate their anniversary, he finds Paul staring at his mothers corpse and an empty bottle of pills. He sends his son out of the room and Paul hears his dads service revolver click and snap. The boy is lost for a long time, ends up eventually being paid to kill bad guys. And the later twist with his love interest in book two is... well awsome. ;-)

Plot summery.

The child goes off to the elves with her mother, she fights off an attacker. The attacker rejoins his coven after they capture an artifact from the gnomes to use against Florida, want to use evil witchcraft to wipe out the state, without revealing the use of magic.(Hint:They try to cast the spell out in the keys.) The girl gets left behind and trains while her mother joins the Graduated paladin(Paul) Her father and the gnome Thimple. They will likely find more help. Upon return, the girl has progressed, Eliana is now a Christian and Paul saves her from execution when she proclaims her salvation to her father. (Paladins in the book can bathe their swords in flame, only if they remain obedient to God. Even an elven king wont refuse the will of a young paladin with sword ablaze.

Comment

...use against Florida? Why? What'd it do?

Mythtory

Comment

I don't think I've made it through an entire "Hobbit" movie with out a nap or distraction to further entertain me... I like the idea of the genres fantasy world, but lack the focus and lust of choreographed war waged in lush CGI virtuascapes. The attention span the intertwined, geopolitical bloodlines green screening the action's background needs, was surprisingly stunted by my MTV sonic youth, and I must admit to drifting a couple times in your post...no offense at all to you... I like the IDEA of that world...rarely it's execution (just like Indian food).. It lost me...but that's increasingly easy to do, so no specific feedback here...We'll have to go get a brew in Heaven. It'd make a much funner discussion...(and by then I'll have caught most of the movie...)

Comment

I don't think I've made it through an entire "Hobbit" movie with out a nap or distraction to further entertain me... I like the idea of the genres fantasy world, but lack the focus and lust of choreographed war waged in lush CGI virtuascapes. The attention span the intertwined, geopolitical bloodlines green screening the action's background needs, was surprisingly stunted by my MTV sonic youth, and I must admit to drifting a couple times in your post...no offense at all to you... I like the IDEA of that world...rarely it's execution (just like Indian food).. It lost me...but that's increasingly easy to do, so no specific feedback here...We'll have to go get a brew in Heaven. It'd make a much funner discussion...(and by then I'll have caught most of the movie...)
                  Your in my prayers. may the lord fill your heart. BTW, the Florida bit. Veil means, the attackers cant reveal themselves. Draw in a tropical storm and boost it to a Cat 6 storm. Media would go nuts, "Storm proves we have much to understand about mother earth and her ability to evolve new defenses.", say's leading NASA climatologist. Unexplained disaster is always spun against God.

Comment

Working...
                  X