Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Did I make wine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I make wine?

I have been taking a mix of raw apple cider vinegar and honey to help my health. The vinegar is expensive so I thought I would try to make some of my own. Last April I put a lot of chopped apples in a jar with some of the apple cider vinegar I buy with mother in it. Around June or July, I looked at it and it looked like it was changing into the vinegar nicely. I smelled it and stuck my finger into it and tasted it and it tasted good but it looked yucky so I didn't use it. It's been in my food closet ever since then. A couple of days ago I looked at it. The mother is at the bottom of the jar. The vinegar looked clear. So I opened it and I smelled it and it doesn't smell like vinegar. It smells like sweet and when I stuck my finger into it it tastes like a very sweet wine. I'm afraid to try it.

Do you think it is ok to drink an ounce to see if I did make wine?
    Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
    but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

I have no idea. If you have it in a closed container, do the contents make a hissing, slight popping sound, when you open it?

You could ask a doctor about It.
    "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
    "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
    "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Comment

Yes, it's been closed since last July. It's in a mason jar. I didn't hear any noise when I opened it, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a small sound.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
      but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Comment

Do you know any chemists, who could analyze the contents for you?
        "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
        "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
        "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

No, I live near some places that make beer. I suppose I could go and ask them. When I looked on line it sounds like it should be wine. Here is a funny thing. I looked at it on Friday when my daughter was at work. When she came home she handed me a bottle of Apple Wine. It is the first time she ever bought it. I suppose I should taste it, but it is so hot, I'm not in the mood for wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Thekla View Post
            No, I live near some places that make beer. I suppose I could go and ask them. When I looked on line it sounds like it should be wine. Here is a funny thing. I looked at it on Friday when my daughter was at work. When she came home she handed me a bottle of Apple Wine. It is the first time she ever bought it. I suppose I should taste it, but it is so hot, I'm not in the mood for wine.
            Chill the wine first in the fridge. Very refreshing!

If you did make wine, it would be weak.

I am surprised it is so hot where you are, since it is winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post

Chill the wine first in the fridge. Very refreshing!

If you did make wine, it would be weak.

I am surprised it is so hot where you are, since it is winter.
              You have me mixed up with Balshan. She is in Austrailia. I'm in northern Illinois. Today it has cooled down to 82. Almost feels like fall it's been so hot.

Comment

I have been taking a mix of raw apple cider vinegar and honey to help my health. The vinegar is expensive so I thought I would try to make some of my own. Last April I put a lot of chopped apples in a jar with some of the apple cider vinegar I buy with mother in it. Around June or July, I looked at it and it looked like it was changing into the vinegar nicely. I smelled it and stuck my finger into it and tasted it and it tasted good but it looked yucky so I didn't use it. It's been in my food closet ever since then. A couple of days ago I looked at it. The mother is at the bottom of the jar. The vinegar looked clear. So I opened it and I smelled it and it doesn't smell like vinegar. It smells like sweet and when I stuck my finger into it it tastes like a very sweet wine. I'm afraid to try it.

Do you think it is ok to drink an ounce to see if I did make wine?
                I don't know, but I am wondering if you found a recipe for making acv that you liked? Thanks.
                Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Peace,
                BJ -Bear
                VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
                WELS

Comment

Yes, I had the recipe for making apple cider vinegar. It seemed to work well but there was so much mother it looked yucky and I couldn't bring myself to use it. On the other hand I kept thinking I should gird my loins and try it. So it sat in my closet for a year. Now the mother is all at the bottom of the jar and when I opened it, it smells and looks like wine. If I remember correctly, the recipes for the vinegar and wine are the same, it is just the length of time you keep it that differs. The wine takes longer.

Comment

You have me mixed up with Balshan. She is in Austrailia. I'm in northern Illinois. Today it has cooled down to 82. Almost feels like fall it's been so hot.
                    Oh sorry! I must not have had enough coffee when i wrote what I did !

Comment

Oh sorry! I must not have had enough coffee when i wrote what I did !
                      Nice to know yo are thinking of me. Yes it is cold here.

Comment

Originally posted by balshan View Post

Nice to know yo are thinking of me. Yes it is cold here.
                        Define "cold." I just came back from Alaska 2 weeks ago! But glad that it isn't hot!

Comment

Define "cold." I just came back from Alaska 2 weeks ago! But glad that it isn't hot!
                          not sure what it is like in summer in alaska.

However not too bad here - we have had hail, frosts, winds 130 kph, last night was warm 8 degrees above freezing.

Yesterday we were going out had just a cardigan on, run back inside got my blanket top and gloves it felt freezing.

Of course weather depends were you are the snow fields are covered, Darwin not so cold. In fact in winter southerners tend to travel to Queensland when they are sick of the cold, if they can afford it. One of my sons who lives a couple of hours away did get a pathetic snowman listed on the web. He made it on their upstairs balcony. It can get colder if the weather comes up from Antarctica. Hobart really copes it then.

Comment

I"m in northern Illinois. We often get to -18 degrees Celsius in late December and January. A few times we will get even lower than that.

Comment

I don't even like to visit the snowfields. Hate it. They look pretty. But I also hate our really hot weather. I normally don't feel the cold like my husband does. If I get my blanket top it is cold. I felt the cold when visiting my son, I had to get a hat. I hate wearing hats. However there are parts of this country that are in drought desperate for rains.

We need a way of moving the rain around to were it is needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X