Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Eggplants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eggplants

The other day I decided to grab a vegetable/fruit I have not cooked. So I got eggplants now I go and look and think what will I do with them? Ideas anyone? Please.

I love eggplant and I always cooked it the way Italians do. I just cut it in thin slices, dip it in eggs and then bread crumbs and fry it. It is fantastic.

I recently had an eggplant cheese casserole with several types of cheese and tomatoes. It was delicious. I've been trying to find the recipe. If I find it I will post it for you.

There is also a middle eastern dish called Mousaka (not sure if I spelled that right) You can have it with meet if you like or without. I like this too. It is easy to make. You just wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it at 350 until it is completely soft. Then you take it out split the skin and scrape out the inside. You mix it with Tahini (not sure if I spelled that right either). It is really good.

Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
    but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

Comment

Originally posted by Thekla View Post
      I love eggplant and I always cooked it the way Italians do. I just cut it in thin slices, dip it in eggs and then bread crumbs and fry it. It is fantastic.

I recently had an eggplant cheese casserole with several types of cheese and tomatoes. It was delicious. I've been trying to find the recipe. If I find it I will post it for you.

There is also a middle eastern dish called Mousaka (not sure if I spelled that right) You can have it with meet if you like or without. I like this too. It is easy to make. You just wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it at 350 until it is completely soft. Then you take it out split the skin and scrape out the inside. You mix it with Tahini (not sure if I spelled that right either). It is really good.

thanks for the ideas. I wonder if the first one would work if I baked the slices instead of frying. I am trying to lose weight.
      I saw two recipes on net:

eggplant tomatoe pie. The eggplant is boiled and mashed with breadcrumbs, onions, garlic melted butter pesto be. You layer with sliced tomatoes in pie dis topped cheese and parsle. Then baked 30 mins.

Another
      eggplant au gratin

bake eggplant slices after brushing slices with oil. For 16 mins turning halfway. Cool. Layer eggplant, pasta sauce, more rally. Repeat twice top with Parmesan bake uncovered 20 to 25 mins. 350 degrees.

That is my abridged version

I like the sound of the Italian way.

Comment

I think you can probably bake it but I just put a little oil to cover the bottom of the frying pan and then fry them until they get crispy on the outside. Then I put them in my oven as low as it can go to keep it warm while I cook the rest. My husband doesn't like it so I usually have left-overs and believe it or not they taste good cold too when I take them out of the fridge. But I usually nuke them to warm them up.

Your first recipe sounds a little like the one I'm looking for. I wouldn't boil it though, I would wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it until it gets soft and then just take out the inside. When I first heard of cooking it this way I thought they were nuts but it keeps it very tasty. I would think it keeps more vitamins cooking it this way than boiling. It is also so soft you would barely need to mash it. Wait, I have to use both recipes to make the one I had. It had the cheese and tomatoes but was mashed. lol

Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
        but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

Comment

Originally posted by Thekla View Post
          I think you can probably bake it but I just put a little oil to cover the bottom of the frying pan and then fry them until they get crispy on the outside. Then I put them in my oven as low as it can go to keep it warm while I cook the rest. My husband doesn't like it so I usually have left-overs and believe it or not they taste good cold too when I take them out of the fridge. But I usually nuke them to warm them up.

Your first recipe sounds a little like the one I'm looking for. I wouldn't boil it though, I would wrap it in aluminum foil and bake it until it gets soft and then just take out the inside. When I first heard of cooking it this way I thought they were nuts but it keeps it very tasty. I would think it keeps more vitamins cooking it this way than boiling. It is also so soft you would barely need to mash it. Wait, I have to use both recipes to make the one I had. It had the cheese and tomatoes but was mashed. lol

I hadnt thought of frying it that way. It is great the way recipes can be adapted and varied.

Comment

Originally posted by balshan View Post

thanks for the ideas. I wonder if the first one would work if I baked the slices instead of frying. I am trying to lose weight.
            I saw two recipes on net:

eggplant tomatoe pie. The eggplant is boiled and mashed with breadcrumbs, onions, garlic melted butter pesto be. You layer with sliced tomatoes in pie dis topped cheese and parsle. Then baked 30 mins.

Another
            eggplant au gratin

bake eggplant slices after brushing slices with oil. For 16 mins turning halfway. Cool. Layer eggplant, pasta sauce, more rally. Repeat twice top with Parmesan bake uncovered 20 to 25 mins. 350 degrees.

That is my abridged version

I like the sound of the Italian way.
            My husband doesn't like eggplant anymore, so I haven't cooked it in years. i think it can be baked, if it has a little oil layer on it before baking. I seem to remember dipping slices in light mayonnaise, then bread crumbs, then cooking in the oven, then sprinkling cheese on top near the end until it melts. I will see if I can find the recipe.

You can also cut it into thick "sticks' and do the same thing. Just don't cook it as long.

I think this was the recipe:

ITALIAN EGGPLANT CAESAR

1 pound raw eggplant, in thick slices
            6 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise, or a mixture of low fat and fat free
            6 tablespoons grated Romano cheese--get low fat if you an find it
            1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs

Soak eggplant slices in cold water 15 or 20 minute. Drain and blot dry. Spread lightly on both sides with mayo then press lightly into the grated cheese, then into the seasoned crumbs, lightly coating both sides. Spray a shallow non-stick baking pan (or use non-stick aluminum foil) with cooking spray for no-fat frying. Arrange eggplant in a single layer. Spray slices with more cooking spray. Bake in preheated hot (475 degree) oven 5 minutes. Turn and bake an additional 3 or 4 minutes, until eggplant is golden and crisp on the outside, tender inside.

6 servings, 110 calories each serving.
            Last edited by Bonnie; 08-29-18, 04:16 PM.
            "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
            "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
            "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
            "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
            "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post

My husband doesn't like eggplant anymore, so I haven't cooked it in years. i think it can be baked, if it has a little oil layer before baking. I seem to remember dipping slices in light mayonnaise, then bread crumbs, then cooking in the oven, then sprinkling cheese on top near the end until it melts. I will see if I can find the recipe.

You can also cut it into thick "sticks' and do the same thing. Just don't cook it as long.

I think this was the recipe:

ITALIAN EGGPLANT CAESAR

1 pound raw eggplant, in thick slices
              6 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise, or a mixture of low fat and fat free
              6 tablespoons grated Romano cheese--get low fat if you an find it
              1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs

Soak eggplant slices in cold water 15 or 20 minute. Drain and blot dry. Spread lightly on both sides with mayo then press lightly into the grated cheese, then into the seasoned crumbs, lightly coating both sides. Spray a shallow non-stick baking pan (or use non-stick aluminum foil) with cooking spray for no-fat frying. Arrange eggplant in a single layer. Spray slices with more cooking spray. Bake in preheated hot (475 degree) oven 5 minutes. Turn and bake an additional 3 or 4 minutes, until eggplant is golden and crisp on the outside, tender inside.

6 servings, 110 calories each serving.

Sounds tasty

Comment

I made it for my mother in law a couple of times--she loves eggplant--and she liked it. And there are no onions or garlic in the dish, so you should be able to have it.
                "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

I made it for my mother in law a couple of times--she loves eggplant--and she liked it. And there are no onions or garlic in the dish, so you should be able to have it.
                  I thought I would start with the gratin style recipe as my husband is fussy but likes gratins. He said let us not have eggplant again. I enjoyed it. So sad.

Thanks for for remembering my intolerances you are very thoughtful.

Comment

You are welcome. Au gratin is the way to go, but you will have to leave out garlic and onions for yourself--correct?

My husband isn't fussy, but there are a few things he won't eat--liver, lima beans, beets, eggplant, and cilantro. I agree with him about the liver, beets, and cilantro!

Comment

You are welcome. Au gratin is the way to go, but you will have to leave out garlic and onions for yourself--correct?

My husband isn't fussy, but there are a few things he won't eat--liver, lima beans, beets, eggplant, and cilantro. I agree with him about the liver, beets, and cilantro!
                      you are right I substitute garlic infused oil, chives and spring onions the green parts. I love beets and Coriander, hate liver, kidneys, brains, tripe. Kim hates dried fruits which I love but cannot eat.

Comment

Originally posted by balshan View Post

you are right I substitute garlic infused oil, chives and spring onions the green parts. I love beets and Coriander, hate liver, kidneys, brains, tripe. Kim hates dried fruits which I love but cannot eat.
                        Now, that is good--garlic infused oil, and chives. I think you wrote once you canNOT use garlic powder or garlic salt, correct?

Comment

Now, that is good--garlic infused oil, and chives. I think you wrote once you canNOT use garlic powder or garlic salt, correct?

That is true and one bite I know if it is used.

Comment

Oh, wow...but garlic infused oil doesn't bother you? Odd...

Comment

Oh, wow...but garlic infused oil doesn't bother you? Odd...
                              I think it is the fact it is infused flavour and no garlic bits. You only use a little. But I find the fact that one's body reacts to foods is odd. When food is necessary for life.

Comment

Working...
                              X