No announcement yet.

heat what do you eat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure they did. It's funny but when I go shopping now I see a lot of food that is covered with some food I've never eaten. It blows my mind. I try a lot of it and I'm changing somewhat but fish is one of the things I don't mess with. Pizza is another. The idea of pineapple pizza sounds so weird. lol
    Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
    but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

Comment

Originally posted by Thekla View Post

Don't take offense but that sounds disgusting to me. lol Honestly, I like plain fish the best with salt and garlic and pepper, unless they are deep fried.
      Thekla,
      Did you read the dessert as a fish recipe?
      I tend to prefer richness over sweet desserts.
      1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
      1Co 1:31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Comment

Originally posted by balshan View Post
        Our weather is turning and we are already getting weather higher than average, so salads are on the menu. What do others like to eat, when the weather is hot.
        I knew a chef decades ago who asked me to try blanching raw okra to bring out its vivid color. Then serve chilled either with favorite seasoning and/or dip of choice. Squeezed citrus juice atop the chilled okra might be a good idea to brighten the flavor. The okra was fine, the hardest part to deal with considering okra that isn't fried is that gelatinous slimy goo. If you can get past that then okra is pretty palatable. Chilled pickled okra is another odd but pleasant experience for some. Of course I enjoy cracked pepper on that too. Those choices were snacks or appetizers that were usually serve with some grilled Cornish hens that had been marinated in butter and white wine. If you buy the wine in a larger size you can serve it with your meal. Back then, the wine was often Sauvignon blanc.
        1Co 1:30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
        1Co 1:31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Comment

Originally posted by Nic View Post

I knew a chef decades ago who asked me to try blanching raw okra to bring out its vivid color. Then serve chilled either with favorite seasoning and/or dip of choice. Squeezed citrus juice atop the chilled okra might be a good idea to brighten the flavor. The okra was fine, the hardest part to deal with considering okra that isn't fried is that gelatinous slimy goo. If you can get past that then okra is pretty palatable. Chilled pickled okra is another odd but pleasant experience for some. Of course I enjoy cracked pepper on that too. Those choices were snacks or appetizers that were usually serve with some grilled Cornish hens that had been marinated in butter and white wine. If you buy the wine in a larger size you can serve it with your meal. Back then, the wine was often Sauvignon blanc.
          I had a lady from Nigera cook a meal and I had problem with the gelatinous slimy goo. I have hated slimy foods since we were forced to swallow tripe as a kid. But I am sure it can be tasty. I have never had chilled pickled okra is that slimy? I have never had a cornish hen either is it different to chicken. It sounds tasty. I do like an odd glass of white bur rarely drink, in fact, for years I went tea totaller. My dad had a drinking problem.

Comment

I'm sure they did. It's funny but when I go shopping now I see a lot of food that is covered with some food I've never eaten. It blows my mind. I try a lot of it and I'm changing somewhat but fish is one of the things I don't mess with. Pizza is another. The idea of pineapple pizza sounds so weird. lol
            I don't mind what we call an Hawaiian Pizza. But I love different toppings even anchovies.

Comment

I had a lady from Nigera cook a meal and I had problem with the gelatinous slimy goo. I have hated slimy foods since we were forced to swallow tripe as a kid. But I am sure it can be tasty. I have never had chilled pickled okra is that slimy? I have never had a cornish hen either is it different to chicken. It sounds tasty. I do like an odd glass of white bur rarely drink, in fact, for years I went tea totaller. My dad had a drinking problem.
              I was once in a Jamaican community and a beverage caught my eye named Irish Moss. I recall it had nothing to do with Ireland or the Irish. It perhaps was more to do with what was harvested to produce the drink, seaweed. They explained the process but we're talking maybe 1987? Somewhere along the processing the white silky, maybe slimy and slightly frothy "nutritous" concoction was produced. I was given what I ultimately thought was too generous sample. I took one or two tastes and that's was sufficient for me. I also think it was fermented, but thats about all I recall about the drink itself. It was an expensive as I recall, but the servings were large.
              I've never had tripe. How was that prepared? I have beef tongue (Mexican style) before and that was surprisingly good.
              I believe the reason why okra is almost always breaded and fried is to minimize that slimy quality. It is that quality that finds its way into Cajun Gumbo recipes. I've diced and stirred fried with some desirable results (less of the dreaded slime). The pickled okra was good, but I like trying new foods from time to time. It's been awhile but I do recall the pickling also minimizes that more negative quality, but not nearly as much as the frying does. The blanched variety were brightened in color and softened in texture, but the slime remained. For me, it did not take long to get use to it and enjoy the various dips and seasoning.
              Oh those hens were delicious on the outdoor grill. They are young birds less than a couple of pounds. I've have always had a big appetite I usually started with two. LoL. I was always the guest when those were prepared what I recall was the butter and wine as previously mentioned, grilled on lower heat, basting them to keep them moist. Being young birds they're lean. They do taste like chicken. Yeah I suppose most (all) families have their skeletons in their closets. Are you familiar with that idiom? It means all families have secret baggage (problems) that isn't flattering or brings about negative reputations.

​​​​​​​Nic

Comment

I was once in a Jamaican community and a beverage caught my eye named Irish Moss. I recall it had nothing to do with Ireland or the Irish. It perhaps was more to do with what was harvested to produce the drink, seaweed. They explained the process but we're talking maybe 1987? Somewhere along the processing the white silky, maybe slimy and slightly frothy "nutritous" concoction was produced. I was given what I ultimately thought was too generous sample. I took one or two tastes and that's was sufficient for me. I also think it was fermented, but thats about all I recall about the drink itself. It was an expensive as I recall, but the servings were large.
                I've never had tripe. How was that prepared? I have beef tongue (Mexican style) before and that was surprisingly good.
                I believe the reason why okra is almost always breaded and fried is to minimize that slimy quality. It is that quality that finds its way into Cajun Gumbo recipes. I've diced and stirred fried with some desirable results (less of the dreaded slime). The pickled okra was good, but I like trying new foods from time to time. It's been awhile but I do recall the pickling also minimizes that more negative quality, but not nearly as much as the frying does. The blanched variety were brightened in color and softened in texture, but the slime remained. For me, it did not take long to get use to it and enjoy the various dips and seasoning.
                Oh those hens were delicious on the outdoor grill. They are young birds less than a couple of pounds. I've have always had a big appetite I usually started with two. LoL. I was always the guest when those were prepared what I recall was the butter and wine as previously mentioned, grilled on lower heat, basting them to keep them moist. Being young birds they're lean. They do taste like chicken. Yeah I suppose most (all) families have their skeletons in their closets. Are you familiar with that idiom? It means all families have secret baggage (problems) that isn't flattering or brings about negative reputations.

​​​​​​​Nic
                Yes we use the same idiom here. I cannot remember how tripe was prepared but it was served with a white sauce. We had tongue, it was put into one of those pressing tins. We had it on sandwiches for school lunch. Did not tell people what we were eating. I did not like eating it because it was such a strong visual of what we eat - an animal.

Those hens sound delicious. I have cooked kangaroo once, I could not overcome the stress of eating skippy and it tasted usual. I think the taste would be described as gamey.

It is interesting to try things from other countries. We are blessed so much cultural mixing here. You learn different cooking methods. There is a large Indian wholesaler and I would love to find out what a lot of their spices are. We use quite a few but there are others that I have no understanding of. I know going to a chinese grocery they eat the jellyfish which we used to jump and squash on the beach when we were little kids. I have not tried that food group.

Comment

Thekla,
                  Did you read the dessert as a fish recipe?
                  I tend to prefer richness over sweet desserts.
                  Yes, I did. I must have thought Malibu was a fish. lol My brain and eyes need help. I need to eat more fish.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
                  but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Comment

Yes, I did. I must have thought Malibu was a fish. lol My brain and eyes need help. I need to eat more fish.
                    That would be disgusting if it was fish instead of booze. No worries do not laugh, I have been very foggy in the brain and last week the doctor gave me a B12 injection. It has made a big difference when you body is low on things it makes you pay.

Comment

That would be disgusting if it was fish instead of booze. No worries do not laugh, I have been very foggy in the brain and last week the doctor gave me a B12 injection. It has made a big difference when you body is low on things it makes you pay.
                      You are so right on that. I'll see my doctor in two weeks. Hopefully, I'm getting better.

Comment

You are so right on that. I'll see my doctor in two weeks. Hopefully, I'm getting better.
                        I pray you are okay, all the best with your appointment. I am becoming very friendly with my general practitioner.

Comment

Working...
                        X