Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

show me a man's friends and I'll tell you his future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• show me a man's friends and I'll tell you his future

I don't know who first said this statement but from my own personal journey it rings truer than you may know, the people you hang out with today will completely effect your destiny...........even your eternal destiny

any thoughts on this?

Who are friends are does tell us what road we're on, an so where we're headed, but later in this life and then in the next. Thank God, we can change the road we're on. And, it's better to walk the right road alone than to walk the wrong road with a crowd.

Comment

Though I'm not sure how they can have an effect on your eternal destiny, I am pretty sure on how they have an effect on your pressure to do certain wills. It's ashame how some people can become ambivalent towards the discernment of things.
      " God was not made for us; We were made for Him "

Comment

Originally posted by HannahElizaW View Post
        Though I'm not sure how they can have an effect on your eternal destiny, I am pretty sure on how they have an effect on your pressure to do certain wills. It's ashame how some people can become ambivalent towards the discernment of things.
        welcome to this place !
        you said, 'I'm not sure how they can have an effect on your eternal destiny, I am pretty sure on how they have an effect on your pressure to do certain wills.'

yes, they do exert 'peer-pressure'. But we choose the 'bff's and other friends to a large extent. It is our choices of those that we 'hang out with today' that reveal what we like, and therefore, where we're headed. As back2thebible has wisely said.

you said, 'It's ashame how some people can become ambivalent towards the discernment of things.'
        I agree.

As to our choice of friends and our eternal destiny, the Bible says something about the relationship:

"He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed." Prov.13:20

'Everyone desires to 'put his mark on' others. It is natural to want to see our own image in those around us. And, just as naturally, we are moulded by them. It's not a question of 'will we be influenced?'; only what that influence will be? When we walk with the wise- under their instruction, encouragement, and example- we shall be wise! Our principles and habits will become fixed, our interests will be excited, and good resolutions shall be formed in us. "We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you." (Zech.8:23).
        In this connection, we do not value enough, growing up in a godly family, or membership in a good church.

But, in the choice of friendships, a great deal hangs upon our determining that we will be "a companion of all them that fear thee, and of them that keep thy precepts." (Ps.119:63). The world may allure, the ungodly may mock us, and the evil heart will consent to their voices. But seek you strength from the Lord and resolve to "walk with the wise"- as Elisha said to Elijah "As the LORD liveth, and as thy soul liveth, I will not leave thee." (2 Kgs.2:4).

Every time we see a prison, or hear of an execution on death-row, we should be reminded of the truth in 1 Cor.15:33 that "evil communications corrupt good manners.". We cannot join ourselves to a false religion, and not be swept into its influence "They joined themselves also unto Baalpeor, and ate the sacrifices of the dead." (Ps.106:28); nor can we mingle joyfully among the unbelievers without some tarnish to our armor "But were mingled among the heathen, and learned their works." (Ps.106:35).
        It's a step-by-step, gradual, process...down...down..down to hell. The horror of sin, that instinctive recoil from it, gradually lessens. The fear of God -which protects and covers us (see Gen.39:9: Neh.5:15)- is weakened. Our hold on the great hopes of the gospel is relaxed. Other objects, than God, become idols to us, and our ruin is complete!

The first warning to sinners just plucked out of the fire, was "Save yourselves from this untoward generation." (Acts 2:40). And the rule will be to the end "have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them." (Eph.5:11; 2 Cor.6:14-16). Connection we must often have with them (1 Cor.5:10), but let our delight be with the saints of God (Ps.16:3). God Himself may soon decide for those professing christians who halt between two opinions. His patience may be exhausted. His justice may take its course; and those, who are now our companions in folly, will be our tormentors in hopeless misery.' [Charles Bridges]

Comment

When I first started going to church I hung out with my friends that used drugs and drank. The only reason I quit hanging around them was because I quit doing those things and I was bored to death. I also started hanging out with people that didn't always drink but still did bad things. One time I was with them and they stole beer from a store. I didn't drink any of the beer and they even threatened to beat me up if I told anyone. It still bothered my conscience that I was with them when they stole the beer. In my opinion it is best to stay away from people doing bad things. I was a teenager when all of this occured.
          Luke 9:23 And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.
          Every time I deliberately choose to sin I truly deserve to get burned. Thanks for doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by wrallen View Post
            When I first started going to church I hung out with my friends that used drugs and drank. The only reason I quit hanging around them was because I quit doing those things and I was bored to death. I also started hanging out with people that didn't always drink but still did bad things. One time I was with them and they stole beer from a store. I didn't drink any of the beer and they even threatened to beat me up if I told anyone. It still bothered my conscience that I was with them when they stole the beer. In my opinion it is best to stay away from people doing bad things. I was a teenager when all of this occured.
            True, I've been thinking about this too lately. I remember the group I was hanging around with just wanted to site around and smoke weed all day and had no ambitions at all. I had to get away from that group because I didn't want to become like that for the rest of my life. I think choosing the right friends is really important.

Comment

not always i think

Comment

Originally posted by back2thebible View Post
                I don't know who first said this statement but from my own personal journey it rings truer than you may know, the people you hang out with today will completely effect your destiny...........even your eternal destiny

any thoughts on this?
                Amen. As written: bad company CORRUPTS good morals.
                So
                whoever hangs with bad company tends to become like them, and to get corrupted.

Unless, of course, they take frequent time alone every day with YHVH, and do not consort with bad company for any ungodly pleasure nor motive, but only as YHVH directs for HIS PURPOSE and for the GOSPEL'S SAKE, as Yahshua (Jesus) always perfectly obeyed YHVH in all things, every day, all the time, including everyone He spoke to or visited --- and note from HIS WORD that Jesus did not entrust Himself to ANY man (not even His Apostles), BECAUSE He knows what is in man.

Comment

Working...
                X