Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

My Kitty is Gone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My Kitty is Gone

    Pet lovers all experience the passing of our beloved furry friends at some point. Firecracker was only six and brought so much love and warmth to this family. Firecracker saved my son's life when he hissed at a lump in his stomach a few years back. 2 weeks later doctors discovered over one liter of fluid in Owen's kidney.

    Firecracker loved everyone. His biggest fault was his desire to explore; whether longing to go outside or just pawing at the closet. He was a part of this family and will be missed and remembered until this family is no more.
    Last edited by Bluemayskye; 10-20-18, 02:41 AM.
    Salvation belongs to God

  • #2
    Sorry to hear about your kitty's death. I have been there, done that, all too often, though most of our pets lived to a very old age. If I may ask, what did you kitty die of?

    I don't know if Firecracker was allowed outside, but if you get another cat down the road, I would recommend keeping it inside and never allowing it outside, unless in a cat harness on a leash with you. All of our cats we have had for the past 45 years have been indoor cats and all lived to an old age though we had to have one put down for cancer when she was 14 1/2 . It never gets any easier, though....

    The cat we have now is a mostly Maine Coon cat rescue we got through Pet Smart. She was a tiny little thing when we got her, when she was around 13 months old. She had had 3 kittens when she was about 6 months old. A lady was fostering them and would bring her and her kittens into Petsmart and have them there, for folks to look over, from time to time. Bella was a tiny little thing then--having kittens at such a young age had prevented her from growing much--but after she weaned her kittens and we adopted her, she GREW. She was about 7 pounds when we got her and now she is 10 pounds. She is semi-longhaired, like a Maine Coon, so I should have known she would get a LOT bigger! But she is the sweetest, most affectionate cat.

    Hope you feel better, soon. And again, my condolences over the loss of your kitty. It is hard, isn't it?
    "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
    "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
    "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

    Comment


    • #3
      Sorry about your kitty's death. I've had 4 over the last 45 years. I sound just like Bonnie. Mine lived to be 20. 2 were allowed outside and had a 100 kittens or more. I lost track of them. The 2 we have now are around 10 years old and we keep them inside. I don't want the kittens now. I'm too old for that. My last cat I got at anti-cruelty. She is a really sweet cat. My daughter's cat is from hell. She hates men and attacks any that come to my house. She used to attack my husband until he got fed up with it and he showed her that he could strike back. Now she just avoids him except when she is in heat. That is the only time she likes men.

      I hope your son is well. How blessed you are that the cat helped you.
      Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

      “Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
      but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther


      Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Thekla View Post
        Sorry about your kitty's death. I've had 4 over the last 45 years. I sound just like Bonnie. Mine lived to be 20. 2 were allowed outside and had a 100 kittens or more. I lost track of them. The 2 we have now are around 10 years old and we keep them inside. I don't want the kittens now. I'm too old for that. My last cat I got at anti-cruelty. She is a really sweet cat. My daughter's cat is from hell. She hates men and attacks any that come to my house. She used to attack my husband until he got fed up with it and he showed her that he could strike back. Now she just avoids him except when she is in heat. That is the only time she likes men.

        I hope your son is well. How blessed you are that the cat helped you.
        In heat?? Thekla, PLEASE get her spayed! That might help her aggression, Plus make hermuch less likely to have breast cancer! Also, cats usually do not ovulate until they actually mate, and if they do not mate, they can stay in heat constantly, and develop ovarian cysts. THAT could also be making her sporadically aggressive. Please, please get her spayed asap! There are low cost spay and neuter clinics run by some animal orgsnizations and even Petsmart, that you could use, if need be.

        Our Bella is a spayed and indoor cat. She was nervous around my husband at first, since he has a loud, booming voice, even though he is gentle. We think it was a man who dumped her, 3 days before she had her kittens. So, I suggested he feed her in the morning before I got up. After a week, they were best buds, though she still is more my cat than his. Still, she loves him, too.
        "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
        "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
        "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
        "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
        "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

        Comment


        • #5
          She's 10 years old. I didn't know that not being neutered was bad for a cat. I'll tell my daughter what you've written.
          Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

          “Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
          but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther


          Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Thekla View Post
            She's 10 years old. I didn't know that not being neutered was bad for a cat. I'll tell my daughter what you've written.
            Ten! That is getting on in years, but if she is healthy--And she might require baseline blood work atvthatvage, to make sure she is healthy--the operation should go well. I am surprised your daughter's vet didn't recommend spaying! And it does not cause weight gain. ALL of our pets have been neutered/spayed. None had or has a weight problem. Bella gains weight easily, but if we watch her diet, she does fine.
            "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
            "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
            "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
            "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
            "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bluemayskye View Post
              Pet lovers all experience the passing of our beloved furry friends at some point. Firecracker was only six and brought so much love and warmth to this family. Firecracker saved my son's life when he hissed at a lump in his stomach a few years back. 2 weeks later doctors discovered over one liter of fluid in Owen's kidney.

              Firecracker loved everyone. His biggest fault was his desire to explore; whether longing to go outside or just pawing at the closet. He was a part of this family and will be missed and remembered until this family is no more.
              I'm sorry to hear of this tragedy in your life. Reading between the lines, it sounds as though your beloved kitty met his demise in an outdoor exploration, and that has to be even more painful for you, if that's what happened. Please remember that the "normal" condition for animals in this awful, temporary planetary span of time is violent and horrible, and if you made a mistake in allowing him to roam free, at least he was fed and loved for awhile. That's all we can do when we can't turn back the clock on one set of circumstances, while we learn how to do what we can to make it better in the next.

              My heart goes out to you in your grieving process. I've had many years of interaction with animals whom God has sent my way for His purposes, and still beat myself up for some of the mistakes I made....but in the long run, the challenge is to handle it better when the same challenge presents itself in the future.
              "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
                Sorry to hear about your kitty's death. I have been there, done that, all too often, though most of our pets lived to a very old age. If I may ask, what did you kitty die of?

                I don't know if Firecracker was allowed outside, but if you get another cat down the road, I would recommend keeping it inside and never allowing it outside, unless in a cat harness on a leash with you. All of our cats we have had for the past 45 years have been indoor cats and all lived to an old age though we had to have one put down for cancer when she was 14 1/2 . It never gets any easier, though....

                The cat we have now is a mostly Maine Coon cat rescue we got through Pet Smart. She was a tiny little thing when we got her, when she was around 13 months old. She had had 3 kittens when she was about 6 months old. A lady was fostering them and would bring her and her kittens into Petsmart and have them there, for folks to look over, from time to time. Bella was a tiny little thing then--having kittens at such a young age had prevented her from growing much--but after she weaned her kittens and we adopted her, she GREW. She was about 7 pounds when we got her and now she is 10 pounds. She is semi-longhaired, like a Maine Coon, so I should have known she would get a LOT bigger! But she is the sweetest, most affectionate cat.

                Hope you feel better, soon. And again, my condolences over the loss of your kitty. It is hard, isn't it?
                Firecracker developed urinary crystals a couple years ago due to stress from a roommate's dog. We got those cleared up but they returned several weeks ago. We increased his liquids and gave him some recommended supplements. We could not afford to take him in but decided to anyways when he became noticeably ill. He died at the vet that night.

                He was an indoor cat save a couple times he escaped. This was only for a couple minutes each and he never left our one acre property.

                Firecracker was a Maine Coon mix as well and I can personally backup your "sweetest, most affectionate" claim. He fight for love and affection by pushing away obstacles (books, phones, laundry, etc.) in our laps to give all his fluffy love.

                I brought home his ashes yesterday, providing a tangible reminder that he is no longer with us. He was the only one of our four cats that sat with me while I work in my office. I miss him so much!
                Salvation belongs to God

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bluemayskye View Post

                  Firecracker developed urinary crystals a couple years ago due to stress from a roommate's dog. We got those cleared up but they returned several weeks ago. We increased his liquids and gave him some recommended supplements. We could not afford to take him in but decided to anyways when he became noticeably ill. He died at the vet that night.

                  He was an indoor cat save a couple times he escaped. This was only for a couple minutes each and he never left our one acre property.

                  Firecracker was a Maine Coon mix as well and I can personally backup your "sweetest, most affectionate" claim. He fight for love and affection by pushing away obstacles (books, phones, laundry, etc.) in our laps to give all his fluffy love.

                  I brought home his ashes yesterday, providing a tangible reminder that he is no longer with us. He was the only one of our four cats that sat with me while I work in my office. I miss him so much!
                  Bella is on my lap right now, sleeping, while I type this. I am so sorry for your loss. Maybe your cat should have been on a special diet. There is one for cats with urinary problems. The special diet is low in minerals and produces acidic urine. Alkaline urine can lead to urinary tract crystals. One thing I learned from watching TV vet shows, is that canned food is best for cats, because of its high moisture content. So, Bella is on Sheba Perfect Portions. In the morning, at least. It's too expensive to give her twice a day, so at night she is on a grain and soy free dry cat food diet. She is doing fine on it, though she tends to gain weight easily, and I have to watch Miss Pudge's portions.

                  Bella is a rescue kitty from Petsmart. Lots of nice cats available through them.
                  "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
                  "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
                  "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
                  "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
                  "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X