Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Is it sinful to spend millions on animals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnificat
    started a topic Is it sinful to spend millions on animals?

Is it sinful to spend millions on animals?

I was listening to one of my favorite Christian radio talk show hosts the other day. In the program, he said that there are some Christians who say it is wrong and sinful to spend millions of dollars on animals and pets when there are people going without food and shelter. I don't agree first of all,Jesus said we will always have the poor with us,and people can give to charities to help poor people[in fact I think Christians should if they have the money too]. But I believe God wants us to care for the animals too, after all,their His little creatures.

When God drowned the earth,He commanded Noah put 2 of every kind of animal in the ark,so obviously the Lord does care about animals welfare. I personally think God mean't for dogs and cats to be our companion pets,and he wants us to feed them,give them proper shelter[my dog and cat are inside house pets]. and get them medical attention when they need it. And care for them and love them as well.

They have emotional needs as well. Anyone can look in my little dogs sweet big brown eyes and tell he gets his little heart broken easily. When we lost a family member he was close to several years ago he was very sad and wouldn't eat for days. He is always happy and full of joy and wags his little tail when we come home after work. If it wasn't for vets and spay and neuter surgery there would be many more dogs and cats than humans. So I do think it is a good thing to care for the animals. That's my opinion at least. What is everyone's else's opinion on this?
    Last edited by magnificat; 08-25-13, 11:26 PM.

• Fool4Jesus
    replied
    Originally posted by Geumji View Post
    Proverbs 12:10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.
    Matthew 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

A better question: Is the sadism of sport hunting not sinful?
    Snails in my yard are going down along with rats. Coyotes and Hawks I let off with a warning shot across the bough. I think if you needed it for food ok but just for sport ...something has to be wrong with you to have fun killing stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Carabbio
    replied
    Originally posted by magnificat View Post
    there are people going without food and shelter.
    And for the most part we don't give a Rosy Rodent's Posterior about the 'po folks (or the 'po nekkid savages in Oogabalooga)- which is where the "sin" is. It has nothing to do with spending money on "pets" (or cars, or diamond rings, or vacations, etc).

Leave a comment:

• Geumji
    replied
    Proverbs 12:10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.
    Matthew 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

A better question: Is the sadism of sport hunting not sinful?

Leave a comment:

• MarkSC
    replied
    God made us humans accountable for the welfare of animals. This means doing our best to keep them from harm. I find it deeply disturbing now when I see cruelty displayed towards animals. Having my own pets has influenced this. In some countries animals are totally neglected, while others worship some types of animals. Both of these are corruptions of what we are entrusted to do. It also worth reflecting upon why it is that animals like dogs can show undivided loyalty and love that is greater than that shown by many humans. Maybe we should lift our game.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Carabbio
    replied
    Originally posted by Fool4Jesus View Post

Too funny Bob, some animals think the same about you
    When called by a Panther - don't Anther!! (Bennet Cerf)

Leave a comment:

• Fool4Jesus
    replied
    I was listening to one of my favorite Christian radio talk show hosts the other day. In the program, he said that there are some Christians who say it is wrong and sinful to spend millions of dollars on animals and pets when there are people going without food and shelter. I don't agree first of all,Jesus said we will always have the poor with us,and people can give to charities to help poor people[in fact I think Christians should if they have the money too]. But I believe God wants us to care for the animals too, after all,their His little creatures.

When God drowned the earth,He commanded Noah put 2 of every kind of animal in the ark,so obviously the Lord does care about animals welfare. I personally think God mean't for dogs and cats to be our companion pets,and he wants us to feed them,give them proper shelter[my dog and cat are inside house pets]. and get them medical attention when they need it. And care for them and love them as well.

They have emotional needs as well. Anyone can look in my little dogs sweet big brown eyes and tell he gets his little heart broken easily. When we lost a family member he was close to several years ago he was very sad and wouldn't eat for days. He is always happy and full of joy and wags his little tail when we come home after work. If it wasn't for vets and spay and neuter surgery there would be many more dogs and cats than humans. So I do think it is a good thing to care for the animals. That's my opinion at least. What is everyone's else's opinion on this?
    And Jesus is coming back on a white horse and In that day the wolf and the lamb will live together; the leopard will lie down with the baby goat. The calf and the yearling will be safe with the lion, and a little child will lead them all. looks like we are all going to be in heaven to me so we might as well start taking care of then right now. And not let Bob eat to many of them.

Leave a comment:

• Fool4Jesus
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Carabbio View Post

That's your FIRST Mistake. Why would you ever take seriously: "a Radio talk show host's opinion" of anything?? Their JOB is to fill dead air with "sound".

Second Mistake. There are always "Some Christians" who "SAY" any number of idiotic things about everything under the sun - generally judgmental about "somebody else". WHO CARES what "Some Christians say"????!!!

Personally I Love animals!!!! Some of 'em are delicious!!!
    Too funny Bob, some animals think the same about you

Leave a comment:

• Bob Carabbio
    replied
    I was listening to one of my favorite Christian radio talk show hosts the other day.
    That's your FIRST Mistake. Why would you ever take seriously: "a Radio talk show host's opinion" of anything?? Their JOB is to fill dead air with "sound".

he said that there are some Christians who say
    Second Mistake. There are always "Some Christians" who "SAY" any number of idiotic things about everything under the sun - generally judgmental about "somebody else". WHO CARES what "Some Christians say"????!!!

Personally I Love animals!!!! Some of 'em are delicious!!!

Leave a comment:

• afaithfulone4u
    replied

To be kind to animals, have dominion over the animals is surely God's will. But dressed in designer outfits?, left inheritances? included in the family will? Gourmet foods kept with humans food? Sat in a child's seat in our shopping carts? Need to fly in the plane as a passenger? Hotels for dogs? Birthday Party's? Paying Job's? Pet mortuaries? Pet Marriages?
    Beasts allowed in Church? Pet's having more rights than murdered babies? Pet Parents??
    I could go on... but I will let God's Word speak:

Prov 12:10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.
    KJV

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
    KJV

Gen 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

20 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.
    KJV

Leave a comment:

• Jethro77
    replied
    The children of the prince of the power of the air (earthlings) have always paid more attention and spent more money on what they wanted to instead of helping those in need, hungry, thirsty, homeless, ill, or in prison.

The children of YHWH have always spent more on helping others, with no self-consciousness about this - i.e. spontaneously, naturally, as children of YHWH.

Leave a comment:

• Sheepdawg
    replied
    Originally posted by armoredyak View Post
    millions on an animal, is ridiculous....having a pet or animals on a farm, how this is any sort of issue worth worry, is baffling.
    I suppose one of those kind of churches that wants to squeeze you for all you got would want to make sure you give to them and not spend anything on Fido or Socks.

Leave a comment:

• Sheepdawg
    replied
    The pet industry does take in a lot of money, but in the process, it provides jobs for many people.

Leave a comment:

• madame_president
    replied
    Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
    No, so long as giving to the poor isn't neglected. I have always thought one of God's greatest gifts to us is our pets. Look at the joy they bring to us (at least sometimes; I'm not sure about our Pom, Abby, aka, Abby-noxioius...). They also provide services for us, like Seeing Eye Dogs, Hearing Ear Dogs, watchdogs, dogs that help people with seizures, and now there is a fairly new group of dogs--I forget what they are called, but I think it is "Comfort Dogs" that are trained to give comfort to hurting people, esp. children. Our church, the LCMS, helps to sponsor this group. They went to that town in Massachussets, where the gunman shot and killed children and teachers--I've forgotten the name of the town, though, shame on me--and also went to Boston after the Boston Marathon bomber hurt and killed and maimed people. to give comfort to the survivors. And look at the search and rescue dogs during 9/11--!

Even cats have been known to save their owners' lives, through alerting them to fires or danger of some kind.

So, no it isn't sinful to help out abused and starved animals. From what I have read, most of these therapy dogs and special talent dogs come from rescue groups and animal shelters.

The bible says "a good man looks after the life of his beast." And we should.
    Dogs are so useful. Whether you're a farmer needing help with the sheep or cows or you need a watchdog or have an autistic child that tends to wander or you have a medical condition or limitations that the dog can help you to lead a fuller life.

I don't think it makes sense to buy your dog an outfit for every occassion or a diamond collar since we're supposed to be good stewards of our money. However, we have dominion over the animals, they're our responsibility. It's not just a one sided thing where we have responsibility for them but not much to gain. The relationship can be very rich.

The comments you heard on the radio bother me... too often Christianity seems to be a religion of don'ts and shouldn'ts. Didn't Jesus come so we could have life more abundantly? I'm not saying life should be a free for all, but he opened the door to our jail cell and it seems we keep trying to go back in and close the door. Or others are trying to shove us back in the jail cell.
    Last edited by madame_president; 05-12-14, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seminarian
    replied
    Originally posted by christdependent View Post
    Absolutely, God wants us to care for the animals! In fact, the animals were created before Adam was, and were brought to Adam to be named by him. They were Adam's original companions, and they were not violent creatures who were chasing each other down for food.

Proverbs 12:10 says, "A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal...."

Romans 8 describes the groaning of the creation, which has been subjected to futility and corruption and eagerly awaits "the revealing of the sons of God", in expectation of also being delivered from such corruption.

And of course we're all familiar with the Isaiah prophecy of the wolf lying down with the lamb, etc.....a picture of harmony and peaceful coexistence between animals and animals, and animals and people when all is restored.

God emphasizes that we are to LOVE mercy. He doesn't say "love mercy to people and embrace cruelty and neglect of animals."

Some of us, He has hard-wired to care more than most people do. I'm glad to be one of those people.
    I am right there with you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X