Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

deflate gate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deflate gate?

Ok. Everybody knows, or should know what I am talking about.

Last I heard, 11 of 12 balls were deflated (abt. #2 below required). Somebody from the Colts side noticed, and asked the refs to check it out. I am not sure when (I believe the 2nd half) the problem was taken care of, and in the 2nd half there was apparently no ball problem. And, as of now, there is absolutely no evidence...as in nothing...that indicates that Bill Belichick, or any of the players knew it, sanctioned it or had anything at all to do with it. I also understand that someone from the Ravens tipped off the Colts about deflated balls, which, if true would seem to indicate that this was not just a one-off, but rather an orchestrated effort. Anybody got any updated info?

Regardless, I just don't see the Pats getting bounced. I can see, worst case scenario, maybe a couple of suspentions and some hefty fines...maybe a draft pick or two, but thats it. So unless there is some credible evidence (credible evidence meaning not some reporters or radio shock jock's opinion of what should happen) that the league is considering this actually banning them, please don't go down that road.

And be honest...yes, even you Colts fans. The reality is that the Patriots owned the Colts...on both sides of the ball, from the opening kick-off to the final whistle. They ate the Colt's lunch, and came back for supper. The Patriots were so far over the Colts, that it would not have mattered. Sorry, Colts fans, but the reality is that the Pats are simply the best team to send to the Superbowl. Deflated balls or not. Maybe, if the game was close (and not just in score) a case could be made. That is simply not the case. I have already said that if the Patriots get to the Superbowl, they will win. I still believe that. In fact, in a weird way, this plays into the Pats hands. Last I heard, they were 1 point favorites...but this means that they will have to, again, 'prove' themselves.

I do not dislike either team...both are exciting to watch. But I am a huge Tom Brady fan, and would like to see him get his 4th ring. Just wanted to make sure people know that. But still...there is the whole cheating thing. Again. If it turns out that the coaches and/or (especially) the players (specifically Brady) knew about the balls and they go on to win I will always have to put an * by this win. And it will seriously blow my confidence in Brady.
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will suffice. Unknowm Author

"That's Nice" Agnes Brown

ďItís the Holy Spiritís job to convict, Godís job to judge, and itís my job to love.Ē

Originally posted by dale1257 View Post

Last I heard, 11 of 12 balls were deflated (abt. #2 below required). Somebody from the Colts side noticed, and asked the refs to check it out. I am not sure when (I believe the 2nd half) the problem was taken care of, and in the 2nd half there was apparently no ball problem. And, as of now, there is absolutely no evidence...as in nothing...that indicates that Bill Belichick, or any of the players knew it, sanctioned it or had anything at all to do with it. I also understand that someone from the Ravens tipped off the Colts about deflated balls, which, if true would seem to indicate that this was not just a one-off, but rather an orchestrated effort. Anybody got any updated info?

Regardless, I just don't see the Pats getting bounced. I can see, worst case scenario, maybe a couple of suspentions and some hefty fines...maybe a draft pick or two, but thats it. So unless there is some credible evidence (credible evidence meaning not some reporters or radio shock jock's opinion of what should happen) that the league is considering this actually banning them, please don't go down that road.

And be honest...yes, even you Colts fans. The reality is that the Patriots owned the Colts...on both sides of the ball, from the opening kick-off to the final whistle. They ate the Colt's lunch, and came back for supper. The Patriots were so far over the Colts, that it would not have mattered. Sorry, Colts fans, but the reality is that the Pats are simply the best team to send to the Superbowl. Deflated balls or not. Maybe, if the game was close (and not just in score) a case could be made. That is simply not the case. I have already said that if the Patriots get to the Superbowl, they will win. I still believe that. In fact, in a weird way, this plays into the Pats hands. Last I heard, they were 1 point favorites...but this means that they will have to, again, 'prove' themselves.

I do not dislike either team...both are exciting to watch. But I am a huge Tom Brady fan, and would like to see him get his 4th ring. Just wanted to make sure people know that. But still...there is the whole cheating thing. Again. If it turns out that the coaches and/or (especially) the players (specifically Brady) knew about the balls and they go on to win I will always have to put an * by this win. And it will seriously blow my confidence in Brady.
    will someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't both teams play with the same balls, how would this then in fact be an advantage or disadvantage to one team over another, this makes no sense to me what so ever

Comment

Originally posted by back2thebible View Post
      will someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't both teams play with the same balls, how would this then in fact be an advantage or disadvantage to one team over another, this makes no sense to me what so ever

I was thinking the same thing and don't the league itself supply the balls, so how could either team gain access to the balls?
      I bet that whoever supplied the balls had a malfunctioned air pump or it was set improperly.

What I cant figure out is how it took a player to inform the refs, those guys are supposed to check each ball as it is brought into play, every play.
      If you watch, the one side ref, throws a new ball to the line ref and he places it at the spot.
      So if they went unnoticed, then they couldn't have been that deflated.
      I doubt under-inflating or even over-inflating them will help and may actually hurt because the players are used to catching, throwing and handling said ball and anything different cant possibly be a good idea.
      God said "Let there be light"... and scientists took it one step further and made "light bright toys" but they didn't give us enough purple pegs.. we get 87 green, 90 blue, 50 yellow and a whole 12 purples, seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by back2thebible View Post
        It's an advantage or disadvantage in the same way that the floor at the old Boston Gardens helped the Celtics. If one team is accustomed to the defect and the other is not that is an advantage.
        Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Peace,
        BJ -Bear
        VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
        WELS

Comment

Originally posted by WhyMeLord View Post
          I was thinking the same thing and don't the league itself supply the balls, so how could either team gain access to the balls?
          I bet that whoever supplied the balls had a malfunctioned air pump or it was set improperly.

What I cant figure out is how it took a player to inform the refs, those guys are supposed to check each ball as it is brought into play, every play.
          If you watch, the one side ref, throws a new ball to the line ref and he places it at the spot.
          So if they went unnoticed, then they couldn't have been that deflated.
          I doubt under-inflating or even over-inflating them will help and may actually hurt because the players are used to catching, throwing and handling said ball and anything different cant possibly be a good idea.

Apparently from what I have seen Tom Brady and Peyton Manning petitioned the NFL to make the change where teams supplied the balls.
          "Now, what is the Sacrament of the Altar!
          Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink."

Martin Luther "The Large Cathechism"

Comment

Originally posted by dale1257 View Post

Its all much ado about nothing. The problem was corrected at the end of the first half of the AFC championship game. In the second half of the game the pats played with properly inflated balls and they outscored the colts 28-0. This is something the pats shouldn't have done but its all meaningless.
            Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink."

Comment

Originally posted by ignatius View Post
              Apparently from what I have seen Tom Brady and Peyton Manning petitioned the NFL to make the change where teams supplied the balls.
              Does Brady have a hand injury or has he had a hand injury? Otherwise, it seems like an odd request.

Peace,
              BJ -Bear
              WELS

Comment

Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post
                Does Brady have a hand injury or has he had a hand injury? Otherwise, it seems like an odd request.
                Not that I am aware of. Well if its true that a slightly less inflated ball is easier to throw and catch then maybe you can see why they made such a request. Also if its true that they went to the NFL its scary how much power they have to change the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by ignatius View Post
                  Not that I am aware of. Well if its true that a slightly less inflated ball is easier to throw and catch then maybe you can see why they made such a request. Also if its true that they went to the NFL its scary how much power they have to change the rules.
                  Yep. I never had the opportunity to play football in the extreme cold of the northeast but I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a fully inflated football thrown by Elway, Favre, or Rodgers. Ouch!

Peace,
                  BJ -Bear
                  WELS

Comment

Wow 4 months later! We find out they knew about it all along!

Comment

how would this then in fact be an advantage or disadvantage to one team over another, this makes no sense to me what so ever

Comment

Originally posted by fanbrits View Post
                        how would this then in fact be an advantage or disadvantage to one team over another, this makes no sense to me what so ever
                        It would depend upon the physical characteristics of the opposing quarterbacks. For example, a large handed quarterback may prefer a fully inflated or overinflated ball but an average or small handed quarterback may find that disadvantageous, especially in inclement weather.

Peace,
                        BJ -Bear
                        WELS

Comment

Working...
                        X