Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Patriots win.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Patriots win.

    Tom gets his 4th ring.

    In a rare event, I actually called it right. Unfortunately, I am not sure if I can claim victory here or not. Yes, the official score was 28 - 24. But come on. Is there really anybody who does not believe that the win was as much due to an incredibly stupid call by the Seahawks coaching staff as anything else? Is there really anybody who does not, on some level believe that the outcome would have been very different had the just fed Lynch the ball from 1 yard out, and a time out to boot? I suppose bad plays are part of the game, but still....

    I was looking at a win, until Kearse came down with the most improbable catch since Manningham's helmet catch. (Even the look on Brady's face was screaming "Oh NO. Not again!!!" I must say, as stupid as that final call was, it was executed fairly well, and should have scored. Except the next improbable event...an undrafted rookie reading the play. I could not believe what had just happened. And yes...possibly more than any other superbowl, Tom Brady owes Butler. Big time. In a big way.

    A win is a win. I'll take it. Just as Tom will gleefully accept his 4th ring in 6 tries, and he will, some day, accept his first ballot HOF induction.
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will suffice. Unknowm Author

    "That's Nice" Agnes Brown

    ďItís the Holy Spiritís job to convict, Godís job to judge, and itís my job to love.Ē

  • #2
    Originally posted by dale1257 View Post
    Tom gets his 4th ring.

    In a rare event, I actually called it right. Unfortunately, I am not sure if I can claim victory here or not. Yes, the official score was 28 - 24. But come on. Is there really anybody who does not believe that the win was as much due to an incredibly stupid call by the Seahawks coaching staff as anything else? Is there really anybody who does not, on some level believe that the outcome would have been very different had the just fed Lynch the ball from 1 yard out, and a time out to boot? I suppose bad plays are part of the game, but still....

    I was looking at a win, until Kearse came down with the most improbable catch since Manningham's helmet catch. (Even the look on Brady's face was screaming "Oh NO. Not again!!!" I must say, as stupid as that final call was, it was executed fairly well, and should have scored. Except the next improbable event...an undrafted rookie reading the play. I could not believe what had just happened. And yes...possibly more than any other superbowl, Tom Brady owes Butler. Big time. In a big way.

    A win is a win. I'll take it. Just as Tom will gleefully accept his 4th ring in 6 tries, and he will, some day, accept his first ballot HOF induction.
    Its all irrelevant. Whatever play they called it requires execution. Would you have the same attitude if Lynch got the ball and fumbled it or had it stripped and the pats recovered it?

    There is absolutely no reason for the pats to not accept this win proudly. Tom still engineered a great scoring play and put them in the position to win the game. Had he not done that then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

    I always remember the immortal words of Red Auerbach the legendary coach of the boston Celtics,..... "A W is a W".
    "Now, what is the Sacrament of the Altar!
    Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink."

    Martin Luther "The Large Cathechism"

    Comment


    • #3
      No need to get so seemingly defensive. I suppose you missed the part where I mentioned that bad plays are a part of the game. I should probably add here that one of the things I think the Pats have excelled at in the past 10 to 15 years is capitalizing on the other guy's mistakes. This, in fact was one of the reasons I predicted the Pats in the first place. Problem is that ultimately, the Seahawks just did not make alot of the big mistakes. Until the end. And when they did...it was a doozy. The Pats capitalized on their mistake.

      And yes...they deserve the win, because the earned it. The bottom line is that regardless of what play was called, the defense rose to the occasion. It is really that simple.

      But still, if you are a fan then you should also know that half the fun is looking back, and being the 20 20 vision armchair QB. In all of superbowl lore, this call...this play will always rankle especially Seattle fans, and most fans of the game in general, regardless of whom their team is, will endlessly speculate on the coulda, shoulda, woulda.
      Last edited by dale1257; 02-02-15, 04:44 PM.
      For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will suffice. Unknowm Author

      "That's Nice" Agnes Brown

      ďItís the Holy Spiritís job to convict, Godís job to judge, and itís my job to love.Ē

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dale1257 View Post
        No need to get so seemingly defensive. I suppose you missed the part where I mentioned that bad plays are a part of the game. I should probably add here that one of the things I think the Pats have excelled at in the past 10 to 15 years is capitalizing on the other guy's mistakes. This, in fact was one of the reasons I predicted the Pats in the first place. Problem is that ultimately, the Seahawks just did not make alot of the big mistakes. Until the end. And when they did...it was a doozy. The Pats capitalized on their mistake.

        And yes...they deserve the win, because the earned it. The bottom line is that regardless of what play was called, the defense rose to the occasion. It is really that simple.

        But still, if you are a fan then you should also know that half the fun is looking back, and being the 20 20 vision armchair QB. In all of superbowl lore, this call...this play will always rankle especially Seattle fans, and most fans of the game in general, regardless of whom their team is, will endlessly speculate on the coulda, shoulda, woulda.
        You perceived it that way but I assure you I was not defensive. I merely meant that teams must execute not matter what play is called.

        I am a fan of the pats and I was quite confused when they passed it but I was also thrilled when it got intercepted. After what happened to the pats against the giants and the helmet catch so it all averages out in the end
        "Now, what is the Sacrament of the Altar!
        Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink."

        Martin Luther "The Large Cathechism"

        Comment


        • #5
          The play call...why it may not have been such a bad call after all

          A few stats that may be interesting:

          - On the year, Lynch, in the proverbial 'beast' mode, is only 1 - 5 from that distance or less.
          - Passing from that position had resulted in only 1 int. this year...and that was the superbowl play.
          - Numbers show that, NFL wide, from that distance, run gets a TD 50%, pass scores 59%.

          Also keep in mind that the play developed just as intended...it is just that Butler made on helluva outstanding read.

          All the above is true...but frankly, the whole what if thing will plague Seahawks fans (and the rest of us whenever we happen to mention the game when a 'hawks fan is present ). Whatever. Bottom line is that it is over. Time to focus on next year.
          For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will suffice. Unknowm Author

          "That's Nice" Agnes Brown

          ďItís the Holy Spiritís job to convict, Godís job to judge, and itís my job to love.Ē

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dale1257 View Post
            Bottom line is that it is over. Time to focus on next year.
            Yes, but first we have to survive the sporting wasteland that lasts until next football season.
            Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

            Peace,
            BJ -Bear
            VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
            WELS

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post
              Yes, but first we have to survive the sporting wasteland that lasts until next football season.
              No way... the greatest and most difficult game is coming up.... BASEBALL
              "Now, what is the Sacrament of the Altar!
              Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink."

              Martin Luther "The Large Cathechism"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ignatius View Post
                No way... the greatest and most difficult game is coming up.... BASEBALL
                lol! Isn't that the game where both teams just kind of stand around waiting for something to happen?
                Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

                Peace,
                BJ -Bear
                VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
                WELS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post
                  lol! Isn't that the game where both teams just kind of stand around waiting for something to happen?
                  To the untrained eye maybe thats the case but hitting a baseball is the single most difficult thing to do in sports. If you realized just how hard it is you would be properly amazed that the ball ever got it.
                  "Now, what is the Sacrament of the Altar!
                  Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink."

                  Martin Luther "The Large Cathechism"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ignatius View Post
                    To the untrained eye maybe thats the case but hitting a baseball is the single most difficult thing to do in sports. If you realized just how hard it is you would be properly amazed that the ball ever got it.
                    That kind of makes my point, doesn't it? Since men are bigger, stronger, generally faster, and better trained than when baseball was first invented pro baseball should consider increasing the distance from the mound to the plate and the base path. I'm not just picking on baseball because basketball is in the same boat with regard to their baskets and courts. Football hasn't yet outgrown the dimensions of the field.
                    Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

                    Peace,
                    BJ -Bear
                    VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
                    WELS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post
                      That kind of makes my point, doesn't it? Since men are bigger, stronger, generally faster, and better trained than when baseball was first invented pro baseball should consider increasing the distance from the mound to the plate and the base path. I'm not just picking on baseball because basketball is in the same boat with regard to their baskets and courts. Football hasn't yet outgrown the dimensions of the field.
                      No it doesn't make your point as there has been no serious records broken in baseball at least not without the help of PEDs. Batting avgs have not dramatically improved.
                      "Now, what is the Sacrament of the Altar!
                      Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink."

                      Martin Luther "The Large Cathechism"

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        this was gr8

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X