Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Gym Workout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anita View Post
    Can't beat a crossfit workout. Crossfit has totally transformed my body, way of eating and the way I deal mentally with tuff situations.
    Anita,

I agree that CrossFit is a wonderful system. It is similar to what we do before training in Krav Maga self defense. However it can be too taxing on the body for some people (Old, disabled etc).

Lcash
    The quote from Gandhi I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
    -Mahatma Gandhi quotes
    was never said by Gandhi! It is false!

Comment

You need protein and rest. Depending how much you workout and how much you weigh, from 0.6-1.0 grams of protein per pound. Carbs are important as well but dont overdo the carbs. Eat clean and try to stay away from processed foods as much as you can.

Squats and Bench Press are imo the most important workouts.
      Sometimes people want a complex answer to the hard questions to satisfy intellectuality. Jesus is Lord is the simple, beautiful truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
        You need protein and rest. Depending how much you workout and how much you weigh, from 0.6-1.0 grams of protein per pound. Carbs are important as well but dont overdo the carbs. Eat clean and try to stay away from processed foods as much as you can.

Squats and Bench Press are imo the most important workouts.
        You are correct on the protein intake however to stimulate growth and bulk up the best excersises are the Squat and dead lift, not the bench. The reason is that the squat and dead lift strains the entire system which stimulates whole body growth. These should be done at least 2 times per week with good rest in between during a bulking phase. When slimming down to lose the fat from the bulking then go to the higher reps lower weights regime but continue to maximize overall stress to the body. Now that is stricktly from a bodybuilding point of view. My workouts were always geared towards power lifting which is the Bench, Squat and Deadlift. I followed Dave Picard's workout and saw tremendous gains with only 30 minutes per day in the gym.

Lcash
        The quote from Gandhi I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
        -Mahatma Gandhi quotes

Comment

I've moved onto making Bench, Squats and Power Cleans the key parts of my gym regimen. I do deadlifts now and they're great but it's difficult to get the form locked in. Im on a 3 day split now. Great results
          Sometimes people want a complex answer to the hard questions to satisfy intellectuality. Jesus is Lord is the simple, beautiful truth.

Comment

Hmm gym workout is very good for health we can join gym and start working out for any muscle group so that it would he helpful for the good health....

thetransformationspot
            Last edited by David35; 10-13-13, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
              I've moved onto making Bench, Squats and Power Cleans the key parts of my gym regimen. I do deadlifts now and they're great but it's difficult to get the form locked in. Im on a 3 day split now. Great results
              Correct form for a deadlift is as follows. Use an overhand / underhand grip (one had is over the bar and the other under the bar). Keep the weight bar as close to your shins as possible. Pick a spot on the horizon, look at that spot not at the bar and lift until you square your shoulders and lock your knees. Keeping the head up will correct bad posture during the lift and force your legs to do the work. Looking down at the bar during the lift will cause you to lift with your back which is a recipe for disaster.

Lcash
              -Mahatma Gandhi quotes

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                Lcash,

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the extremely late reply - I got lazy.

What you got to know is that I'm only a beginner amateur at the gym. Basically, I go the gym without structure and just to whatever I feel like. However, after reading your post, I will try my best to adapt to it. The reason I wanna go to the gym is bulk up, cause I'm told I'm a skinny ectomorph - so would the suppliments you recommended be too much or too little?

Here's what I did today, tell me if I'm doing it correctly.

Shoulder Press
                Tricep Press
                Fly
                Lateral Raise
                Row/Rear Deltiods
                Chest Press

I don't know all the gym terms but basically, I was told to go to those machines, for example, the fly machine and "push and pull" for 8 times as I push I breathe in and release I breathe out. However, I find this extremely tiring, but I was told I need oxygen in my muscle.

Basically, I have no routine or structure with those machines above, are you able to reccomend a structure?

I dunno how to describe this but I was also told that I should use a small free weight at the start - hold them both in my hands and twist and turn as a warm up for beginners like me.

Thanks

Phil
                As you push, you breathe in, and as you pull, you breathe out? Tell me, are you flexing your muscles (doing the hard work) when you're "pushing" in this case? If so, no wonder you're out of breath: that's the WRONG way to do that. If you were doing that with heavier weights, it's possible to pass out!

You breathe out when you are tightening the muscles. If you are taking too long to do the reps, then you can also get out of breath. You're supposed to take longer relaxing the muscle than tightening it, for example 2 seconds to lift it, and 4 to let it down. For doing heavier lifts, it's more like 1 second to lift, and 2 to relax. The idea is that, since you are maxing out, you are eventually going to pass the amount of breath you can take in to try to make up for how you're working. So, you want to do it at a decent pace, but definitely not fast, so that you don't run out of breath before your muscles are pumped.

You'd be surprised as how much of this stuff you'd figure out if you did what felt right. For instance, your muscles feel deeply worked when you do multiple sets - and that's what you're supposed to do. When you breathe properly, you feel like you're keeping yourself oxygenated and aren't getting light-headed - and that's what you're supposed to do! When you go to increase strength, you feel that you only burn your muscles when using too light of a weight, but can't always hit them deep when doing too heavy of a weight, which is because you can't control it fully. For this reason, it's advisable to start out by doing heavier weights with each set, starting at a weight that is only slightly heavy. Because you aren't used to working out, your muscles probably need to "snap out of it" so-to-speak and get with the program. Actually, everyone's muscles do to a degree when starting your workout - hence, warm-ups.

Knowing what to do right is also the other half of it. In this way, you won't be fooled into doing what "feels right" as in swinging weights to make curls easier. What "feels right" is when you are flexing the muscles you are working specifically, and in a controlled manner. If it's too heavy of a weight, you're going to feel all the tightness on your stronger muscle group being worked, and the lighter ones won't get worked very much. On top of that, they may fatigue, and although you may have some gains, they won't be as meaningful nor as effectual as if you are utilizing all of your relevant muscles properly (no using your legs or back to jerk your curls up).
                Last edited by KronoNomikon; 10-28-13, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Madoc James View Post
                  I do the following at home but I might join the gym soon:

Strength:
                  20 push ups
                  20 bicep curls per arm
                  20 tricep curls per arm

Cardio: Jogging

I guess thats a good start.
                  Hey man, crunches, pull-ups, and squats or lunges or something. Also, something for your lower back! There are at-home workouts for everything...

Comment

Maybe you went too extreme starting off? I've had at least one time where I was weaker than before after having rest. Maybe you hadn't eaten for awhile?

Comment

Working...
                    X