Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

TV and zombies.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV and zombies.

I don't get it; there are so many TV shows in regards to zombies and walking dead.
    There has to be some connection to the bible, but I can't seem to identify it; some seem powerless, others are powerfull.
    The only thing I can think of has to do with messing around with blood and DNA; but what is the connection with the Bible?
    1Peter 1:18,19 Redeemed ... with the precious blood of Christ

Originally posted by PeanutGallery View Post
    I don't get it; there are so many TV shows in regards to zombies and walking dead.
    There has to be some connection to the bible, but I can't seem to identify it; some seem powerless, others are powerfull.
    The only thing I can think of has to do with messing around with blood and DNA; but what is the connection with the Bible?
    I think you are making too much of this. Not so long ago, the big trend was the whole vampire thing. Before that was the 'anti' vampire thing. Point being that trends change. After awhile, people tend to get weary of the same old thing, and move on to something else.
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will suffice. Unknowm Author

"That's Nice" Agnes Brown

ďItís the Holy Spiritís job to convict, Godís job to judge, and itís my job to love.Ē

Comment

Originally posted by dale1257 View Post
      I think you are making too much of this. Not so long ago, the big trend was the whole vampire thing. Before that was the 'anti' vampire thing. Point being that trends change. After awhile, people tend to get weary of the same old thing, and move on to something else.
      I'm not afraid of vampires, zombies or walking death, I'm afraid of bad entertaining.

Comment

What do you mean by "connection"???
        A couple definitions of "zombie" according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary are:
        1. the body of a dead person supernaturally imbued with the semblance of life and set to perform tasks as a mute, will-less slave
        2. A living person enslaved in the same manner after the soul has been magically removed
        Wouldn't that fall under the category of "sorcery/necromancy"? Both of which the Bible condemns, by the way. (They are grouped under "abominations.")

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyRead View Post
          What do you mean by "connection"???
          Subliminal messages to somehow discredit Bible.

A couple definitions of "zombie" according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary are:
          1. the body of a dead person supernaturally imbued with the semblance of life and set to perform tasks as a mute, will-less slave
          2. A living person enslaved in the same manner after the soul has been magically removed
          Wouldn't that fall under the category of "sorcery/necromancy"? Both of which the Bible condemns, by the way. (They are grouped under "abominations.")
          I was thinking about twice-dead;
          Jude 12 These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

Comment

I'm EMBARRASSED to admit it - but I got totally hooked on "The Walking Dead." The zombies really has NOTHING to do with my attachment to the series (it's just the crisis they are dealing with), it's the people as they deal in this apocalyptic world. I DON'T claim it's good TV.... but I sure got hooked.

It has nothing to do with my faith, but it could with my interest in some other topics - war for example; I'm pretty interested in how people dealt with WW 2, at home and also on the front; I think the Walking Dead comes from the same general interest.
            I now post elsewhere.

RCC: "I teach it, therefore it's true."
            Protestant: "It's true, therefore I teach it."

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
              I'm EMBARRASSED to admit it - but I got totally hooked on "The Walking Dead." The zombies really has NOTHING to do with my attachment to the series (it's just the crisis they are dealing with), it's the people as they deal in this apocalyptic world. I DON'T claim it's good TV.... but I sure got hooked.

It has nothing to do with my faith, but it could with my interest in some other topics - war for example; I'm pretty interested in how people dealt with WW 2, at home and also on the front; I think the Walking Dead comes from the same general interest.
              My husband got hooked on it, because he recognized where it was filmed in Georgia--we had seen those places many times. He started watching it just to see what he could recognize, and then got hooked.

Me, ew....not so much.
              "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
              "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
              "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
              "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous

Comment

"Funny" you should ask! I just came to this section of the boards to initiate a thread about the TV program, "Walking Dead." My husband and I watch it every week. I've thought quite a lot about it. It's such a violent, disturbing series, but I think it presents rather direct challenges to one's personal responses that give it some redeeming spiritual value.

For example, when I find myself wanting someone to be "taken out" on the spot....I need to examine that! How does that align with Scriptural principles for God's kids? Does that make me one of the Sons of Thunder, and no better than the very people I'm opposing? Hmmmm.....

The violence is desensitizing, I think. But is it worse than the national barrage of news about atrocities such as hostages being beheaded, in real life?

Hubby and I also watched other series such as "Hell on Wheels"....for awhile. We soon became tired of the manipulation and gratuitous violence, and lack of forward momentum in the overall plot.

It will be interesting to see if we similarly lose interest in ""Walking Dead", now that the "scientist" who was supposed to save the world has been proven to be a liar. Hmmmm....now there's another direct parallel to the true spiritual war, isn't it!

And maybe "walking dead" carries spiritual significance for those who aren't alive in Christ....?
                "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Comment

The character development is better than most series, I think. And it's quite a challenge in "situation ethics". Most of all, it challenges any basic presumption that survival in a post-apocalyptic scenario is much worth pursuing. Which raises more questions about just how much faith one has in God!
                  "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His...." 2 Chronicles 16:9 NASB

Comment

Zombies can't be killed. They're immortal and devil possessed.

Revelation 9
                    5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
                    6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.
                    Last edited by Four Winds; 03-01-16, 07:29 PM.
                    John 3
                    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

I have to admit I was never a zombie fan but love the Walking dead. Of course I do not take it seriously I just like the story lines etc.

Comment

Years later; I'm thinking it is more about situational morality and survival of the fit.

Comment

Same as "Superman". If "Man" doesn't know GOD, then he will manufacture a "god thing" according to the desires, and agenda of his heart.

So we have "Super beings" from other planets, Alternate creation accounts, PERFECT societies, "Mutant Humans" with supernatural powers, Witches, Warlocks, Dr. Strange, Dr. Who, "Chosen ones", Mummies (looking for their girlfriends), Men in black, Secret Societies with supernatural abilities, Gargoyles, Golems, Zombie slayers, Advanced (but murderous) civilizations, you name it. All to fill the void created by the denial of THE GOD.

Comment

TV shows hardly rate as a foundation for understanding our world. More often than not it is a distorted view that it portrays. Have you ever seen a movie or documentary that shows a real Jesus? The area you are dabbling in does more to promote fear than faith.
                            In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe (Hebrews 1:1-2).

Comment

Originally posted by Four Winds View Post
                              Zombies can't be killed. They're immortal and devil possessed.
                              But you CAN destroy 'em by cutting their heads off (The Hollywood kind, anyway).

Comment

Working...
                              X