Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Do you have an old computer but don't want to buy a new one...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have an old computer but don't want to buy a new one...

just because it got left behind when MS stopped supporting XP? Or do you have a pc runs slowly that is struggling to keep up with the hardware requirements of Windows 7, 8, and 10?

If your computer falls into one of the those categories and you'd like to revive an old XP computer or speed up one that is capable of running a newer MS operating system then maybe you should consider one of the Linux distributions which can help with that. For example, I have a twelve year old laptop that got left behind when XP support ended. It has an ancient single core Celeron and 1gb of ram and now runs Xubuntu 18.04. It has programs that can do the stuff that most people want to do, for example, there are office suites, browsers, email clients, and Bible study programs available. The minimum requirements to run Xubuntu are 512mb RAM and 7.5gb of hard disk if installed from live cd.

Another good alternative is Lubunu 18.04. Like Xubuntu it is built upon an Ubuntu base and will run the same programs but the desktop has a little different feel and look. Like Xubuntu it too is mid-weight distribution, that is, after booting into a full GUI it will be using less than 512mb of RAM.

A third mid-weight distrubition which is very responsive is Q4OS. It too has an Ubuntu base and the screens really pop on older hardware. It runs the trinity desktop which is KDE based.

A light weight desktop that works well on older hardware is Puppy Linux. I recommend the Ubuntu based version because you can find answers for almost anything through a search of the Puppy forums or Ubuntu forums.

The last distribution isn't a point and click install and configuration like the distros above but it is small and fast. It is called AntiX and a lot of things are done from the command line. Like all the other distributions above it can be downloaded and run as a live distribution (That means it can run from CD, DVD, or USB). Unless you are up for an adventure and want to learn a little more about your computer and Linux then I don't recommend this distro for those who would rather just point, click, and have stuff work.

You can find information and links for all the distributions above at www.distrowatch.com.
    Test all things and praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Peace,
    BJ -Bear
    VDMA (1 Peter 1:25)
    WELS

Originally posted by BJ BEAR View Post

Another good alternative is Lubunu 18.04. Like Xubuntu it is built upon an Ubuntu base..
    A few months ago I used Lubuntu to give a second life to a old underpowered and hopelessly virus infected XP laptop, and it has been fine as a spare computer. Previously I tried a full Ubuntu installation and it was extremely slow to boot up. Lubuntu seems cleaner.

Comment

Try any of these (ordered approximately from most lightweight to least lightweight):

EDIT link violation
      Last edited by 4Him; 12-18-18, 05:52 PM.
      May the One Who is really the true Lord God (Whom i try to serve) bless you!

Comment

Porteus Kiosk
        Slax
        SliTaz
        Tiny Core
        Puppy Linux
        Peppermint OS

Comment

Originally posted by LeafByNiggle View Post
          A few months ago I used Lubuntu to give a second life to a old underpowered and hopelessly virus infected XP laptop, and it has been fine as a spare computer. Previously I tried a full Ubuntu installation and it was extremely slow to boot up. Lubuntu seems cleaner.
          Agreed. The light weight distributions can make a big difference.

Peace,
          BJ -Bear
          WELS

Comment

Originally posted by TTLG View Post
            Porteus Kiosk
            Slax
            SliTaz
            Tiny Core
            Puppy Linux
            Peppermint OS
            I'm waiting for an X64 version of Noobs, or is there already one?

Peace,
            BJ -Bear
            WELS

Comment

Type in Google Search: '64 bit OS for Raspberry Pi'

There is a version of Suse Linux Enterprise Server (64 bit) for Raspberry Pi 3 model B.

Comment

Originally posted by TTLG View Post
                Type in Google Search: '64 bit OS for Raspberry Pi'

There is a version of Suse Linux Enterprise Server (64 bit) for Raspberry Pi 3 model B.
                Thanks!

Peace,
                BJ -Bear
                WELS

Comment

For an older computer, I think Puppy Linux is great. If you're really into a learning curve go for a rolling distro like Gentoo or Arch; both are super compatible with older hardware (Gentoo is really good because you can roll your own kernel for your hardware).

Comment

Working...
                  X