Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Moved from LDS forum:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moved from LDS forum:

    Originally posted by Magdalena View Post

    Why do you use the excuse of "oh, they're worse than me." Does that somehow make a certain level of snarkiness and insults ok?
    I'm not using an excuse. What I AM pointing out is the sheer hypocrisy of any of you...and I do mean ANY of you...criticizing me for being 'outraged' and 'dramatic' and 'venomous' for using 'sneaky,' obnoxious and 'cowardly' when you are DEFENDING those who use 'traitor,' 'baby killer,' 'pedophile follower,' 'sexual deviants,' 'adulterers,' 'wife beaters,' ..oh, the list of lovely epithets can go on for a long time.

    This isn't a tu quoque; I am not saying that I can insult others because they do it first and worse. I wrote what I did because I honestly am outraged over what was done, and I would have written it precisely the same way no matter how kindly someone else criticized us. I used the strongest language I could honestly come up with to express that language...and that 'strongest language' was 'OBNOXIOUS?" and "cowardly?"

    And you are now attacking ME for that, when you won't so much as mildly chide those who use poisonous insults against us?

    this isn't a tu quoque, Magdalena. This is hypocrisy...and not mine.
    "I have the Book, and if Jesus Christ himself came down and told me that there was something incorrect in this Book, I would turn my back on him and hold to the book" (televangelist while hugging a copy of the bible to his chest)

  • #2
    Originally posted by Magdalena View Post

    Bump for dianaiad.
    Who was it who posted the bit...in support of YOUR point, I believe...where it was proposed to the church that they obey the WoW as a commandment, and the body of the church voted to do so?

    Do you understand the difference between a commandment given by God...which is NOT put to a vote and at most is presented to the church for 'sustaining,' and an actual vote to make a covenant?

    WE decided to make a covenant; to promise to obey the WoW.

    That you don't seem to get the difference may be one reason you are no longer Mormon.

    Of course, traditional (or modern, whichever) is used to making up stuff to be the rules by which they identify themselves, since none of you believe in revelation to help you out; everything you believe is man-made, so I suppose it's not unexpected that you can't see the difference here.
    "I have the Book, and if Jesus Christ himself came down and told me that there was something incorrect in this Book, I would turn my back on him and hold to the book" (televangelist while hugging a copy of the bible to his chest)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dianaiad View Post

      Who was it who posted the bit...in support of YOUR point, I believe...where it was proposed to the church that they obey the WoW as a commandment, and the body of the church voted to do so?

      Do you understand the difference between a commandment given by God...which is NOT put to a vote and at most is presented to the church for 'sustaining,' and an actual vote to make a covenant?

      WE decided to make a covenant; to promise to obey the WoW.

      That you don't seem to get the difference may be one reason you are no longer Mormon.

      Of course, traditional (or modern, whichever) is used to making up stuff to be the rules by which they identify themselves, since none of you believe in revelation to help you out; everything you believe is man-made, so I suppose it's not unexpected that you can't see the difference here.
      I'm no longer a mormon because mormonism didn't come from Christ.

      As your "prophets" said, the reason you covenant to keep the word of wisdom is because it's a commandment for you.

      You're right about one thing though. It didn't come from God.
      There is life, truth and joy after mormonism. Just stay close to Christ.
      You can't follow Christ and false prophets at the same time.
      "Be still and know that I am God." ~ Psalm 46:10

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dianaiad View Post

        Who was it who posted the bit...in support of YOUR point, I believe...where it was proposed to the church that they obey the WoW as a commandment, and the body of the church voted to do so?

        Do you understand the difference between a commandment given by God...which is NOT put to a vote and at most is presented to the church for 'sustaining,' and an actual vote to make a covenant?

        WE decided to make a covenant; to promise to obey the WoW.

        That you don't seem to get the difference may be one reason you are no longer Mormon.

        Of course, traditional (or modern, whichever) is used to making up stuff to be the rules by which they identify themselves, since none of you believe in revelation to help you out; everything you believe is man-made, so I suppose it's not unexpected that you can't see the difference here.
        That was venomous. And wrong.
        There is life, truth and joy after mormonism. Just stay close to Christ.
        You can't follow Christ and false prophets at the same time.
        "Be still and know that I am God." ~ Psalm 46:10

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Magdalena View Post

          That was venomous. And wrong.
          No, 'venomous' would have been if I had said the sort of things the critics in here say about us: (and the following rhetoric HAS been used; I am simply replacing "Mormonism" with " traditional Christianity" for illustrative purposes) that Traditional Christianity was blasphemous, lead by pedophiles and adulterers, that their 'decayed hands' sullied the Word of God, and that there was no truth in it. You know...the sort of typical rhetoric used in here by the critics every day, and by some of them with almost every post, about US?

          but I haven't ever written in that manner, and do not. The worst epithet I have ever used is very mild indeed compared to the above.

          And you know it.

          So, not venomous, certainly not compared to what the critics in here write, and absolutely not wrong. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion that it is wrong, but so am I entitled to mine that it is not.

          What is funny about all this is that as outraged as I am about this, the language I have used to describe it doesn't come CLOSE to what is said to and about us every single day...yet everybody is utterly astounded and upset that I would USE language like 'sneaky' and 'obnoxious,' 'underhanded,' and 'cowardly,"....

          When nobody blinks when someone calls US traitors, pedophile followers, sexually immoral deviants, etc.

          I think that the balance in here is a bit off.
          "I have the Book, and if Jesus Christ himself came down and told me that there was something incorrect in this Book, I would turn my back on him and hold to the book" (televangelist while hugging a copy of the bible to his chest)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dianaiad View Post

            No, 'venomous' would have been if I had said the sort of things the critics in here say about us: (and the following rhetoric HAS been used; I am simply replacing "Mormonism" with " traditional Christianity" for illustrative purposes) that Traditional Christianity was blasphemous, lead by pedophiles and adulterers, that their 'decayed hands' sullied the Word of God, and that there was no truth in it. You know...the sort of typical rhetoric used in here by the critics every day, and by some of them with almost every post, about US?

            but I haven't ever written in that manner, and do not. The worst epithet I have ever used is very mild indeed compared to the above.

            And you know it.

            So, not venomous, certainly not compared to what the critics in here write, and absolutely not wrong. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion that it is wrong, but so am I entitled to mine that it is not.

            What is funny about all this is that as outraged as I am about this, the language I have used to describe it doesn't come CLOSE to what is said to and about us every single day...yet everybody is utterly astounded and upset that I would USE language like 'sneaky' and 'obnoxious,' 'underhanded,' and 'cowardly,"....

            When nobody blinks when someone calls US traitors, pedophile followers, sexually immoral deviants, etc.

            I think that the balance in here is a bit off.
            Why do you use the excuse of "oh, they're worse than me." Does that somehow make a certain level of snarkiness and insults ok?
            There is life, truth and joy after mormonism. Just stay close to Christ.
            You can't follow Christ and false prophets at the same time.
            "Be still and know that I am God." ~ Psalm 46:10

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dianaiad View Post

              I'm not using an excuse. What I AM pointing out is the sheer hypocrisy of any of you...and I do mean ANY of you...criticizing me for being 'outraged' and 'dramatic' and 'venomous' for using 'sneaky,' obnoxious and 'cowardly' when you are DEFENDING those who use 'traitor,' 'baby killer,' 'pedophile follower,' 'sexual deviants,' 'adulterers,' 'wife beaters,' ..oh, the list of lovely epithets can go on for a long time.

              This isn't a tu quoque; I am not saying that I can insult others because they do it first and worse. I wrote what I did because I honestly am outraged over what was done, and I would have written it precisely the same way no matter how kindly someone else criticized us. I used the strongest language I could honestly come up with to express that language...and that 'strongest language' was 'OBNOXIOUS?" and "cowardly?"

              And you are now attacking ME for that, when you won't so much as mildly chide those who use poisonous insults against us?

              this isn't a tu quoque, Magdalena. This is hypocrisy...and not mine.
              This is about what you've been saying here in this topic. And it wasn't just those few mild words you just mentioned. Although cowardly isn't so mild.

              You're always harping about what others say, but I wonder if you're aware of how barbarous some of your comments are. With a snide and sarcastic tone that I guess is supposed to make it excusable somehow. Flippant, as it were.

              Perhaps one of the reasons that it bothers me so much coming from you is that, without all of that, I think you're the kind of person I could be friends with.
              There is life, truth and joy after mormonism. Just stay close to Christ.
              You can't follow Christ and false prophets at the same time.
              "Be still and know that I am God." ~ Psalm 46:10

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Magdalena View Post

                This is about what you've been saying here in this topic. And it wasn't just those few mild words you just mentioned. Although cowardly isn't so mild.

                You're always harping about what others say, but I wonder if you're aware of how barbarous some of your comments are. With a snide and sarcastic tone that I guess is supposed to make it excusable somehow. Flippant, as it were.

                Perhaps one of the reasons that it bothers me so much coming from you is that, without all of that, I think you're the kind of person I could be friends with.
                "Barbarous?"

                No.

                "Barbed?

                yeah.

                I don't see the need to be all that patient and accepting in the face of the stuff that is said to and about us. But Magdalena....


                EDIT PER MOD
                Last edited by 4Him; 07-18-17, 05:14 PM.
                "I have the Book, and if Jesus Christ himself came down and told me that there was something incorrect in this Book, I would turn my back on him and hold to the book" (televangelist while hugging a copy of the bible to his chest)

                Comment

                Working...
                X