Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Please pray for my Pastor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please pray for my Pastor

My church has a prayer chain. We are praying for many people but today our Pastor was added to our list. He is very ill. He has been sick since last December and is getting worse every day. The Doctors have no idea what is causing his problems. This is the prayer request from the prayer chain. Please pray for Pastor Dan.

His nerve and muscle damage continue to progress undiagnosed. A recent C-Scan showed that the nerves in one of his organs were not functioning last week. He was hospitalized on Tuesday, September 4, to drain a large quantity of body fluid that was stressing his heart and kidneys. Pastor continues to serve St. Paul while wearing a temporary abdominal drain while the doctors continue to diagnose the problems. Pastor Dan, with strength from God, intends to continue to honor his call to St. Paul. He is in communication with the NID president continually updating him on his physical condition.
    Mark 9:24 Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
    but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Muretus "Call no man worthless for whom Christ died!"

Will do. Keep us posted.
    "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
    "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
    "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
    "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
    "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Thekla View Post
      My church has a prayer chain. We are praying for many people but today our Pastor was added to our list. He is very ill. He has been sick since last December and is getting worse every day. The Doctors have no idea what is causing his problems. This is the prayer request from the prayer chain. Please pray for Pastor Dan.

His nerve and muscle damage continue to progress undiagnosed. A recent C-Scan showed that the nerves in one of his organs were not functioning last week. He was hospitalized on Tuesday, September 4, to drain a large quantity of body fluid that was stressing his heart and kidneys. Pastor continues to serve St. Paul while wearing a temporary abdominal drain while the doctors continue to diagnose the problems. Pastor Dan, with strength from God, intends to continue to honor his call to St. Paul. He is in communication with the NID president continually updating him on his physical condition.
      Thank you Thekla for telling us about Pastor Dan. I will continue praying for him.
      Romans 1:17, For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written:"The righteous will live by faith.

Comment

Thanks for praying for him and Bonnie too. I hope they find out what is wrong with him soon and are able to help him. He is a very nice man.

“Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things,
        but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.” ― Martin Luther

Comment

Any word yet, Thekla? nt
          "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
          "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
          "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."

Comment

Please pray for Pastor Dan.
            Done and will do.

Perhaps they have already looked into this but let me run this by you and you can consider whether to pass it on to Dan and/or his wife. My father-in-law has very similar symptoms and like Dan the doctors have been unable to find a problem..... other than the likelihood he's suffered neurological problems due to extended use of statin drugs (anti-cholestrol). My wife and I have learned that is a "secret" in the pharmaceutical/medical industry and few doctors are even aware of the need to 1) limit extended usage of statin drugs, and 2) look for neurological side-effect when statins are used long-term. The technical term for this condition is "statin-induced neuropathy" or "statin-induced peripheral neuropathy ("peripheral" because it affects limbs first. My father-in-law has lost the use of his legs and he's had complete neurological workups at Bremerton Naval, National Naval in Bethesda, John's Hopkins, and several private neurologists. Seriously, Thekla, we've had that guy examined from head to toe by some of the best practitioners in the WDC area. No one can find a problem or a treatment. His current diagnosis is "neurogenic claudication." This is usually do to spinal stenosis, or a narrowing of the interior of the spinal column restricting neurological activity, but there's no evidence of stenosis in dad.

So if you have the mind and the opportunity to do so ask if Dan's been on statins for a long time and let them know about stain-induce neuropathy and myopathy (nerves and muscles).

I suspect we will be seeing class action suits (if they haven't begun already) and greater public and medical awareness of the risks involved with statin use. Won't help dad or Dan, but it might spare many.

I'll keep Dan and his family and congregation in prayer. Please keep us updated every few weeks.
            All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
              Any word yet, Thekla? nt
              There wasn't on Sunday, I'll see him again tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Josheb View Post
                Done and will do.

Perhaps they have already looked into this but let me run this by you and you can consider whether to pass it on to Dan and/or his wife. My father-in-law has very similar symptoms and like Dan the doctors have been unable to find a problem..... other than the likelihood he's suffered neurological problems due to extended use of statin drugs (anti-cholestrol). My wife and I have learned that is a "secret" in the pharmaceutical/medical industry and few doctors are even aware of the need to 1) limit extended usage of statin drugs, and 2) look for neurological side-effect when statins are used long-term. The technical term for this condition is "statin-induced neuropathy" or "statin-induced peripheral neuropathy ("peripheral" because it affects limbs first. My father-in-law has lost the use of his legs and he's had complete neurological workups at Bremerton Naval, National Naval in Bethesda, John's Hopkins, and several private neurologists. Seriously, Thekla, we've had that guy examined from head to toe by some of the best practitioners in the WDC area. No one can find a problem or a treatment. His current diagnosis is "neurogenic claudication." This is usually do to spinal stenosis, or a narrowing of the interior of the spinal column restricting neurological activity, but there's no evidence of stenosis in dad.

So if you have the mind and the opportunity to do so ask if Dan's been on statins for a long time and let them know about stain-induce neuropathy and myopathy (nerves and muscles).

I suspect we will be seeing class action suits (if they haven't begun already) and greater public and medical awareness of the risks involved with statin use. Won't help dad or Dan, but it might spare many.

I'll keep Dan and his family and congregation in prayer. Please keep us updated every few weeks.
                That sounds very much like what Pastor is telling us.I'll talk to him tomorrow. Thanks for the prayers. I hope and pray that your dad gets better. My prayers are for his entire family.
                Last edited by Thekla; 09-18-18, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Done and will do.

I remember reading something about this a few years ago, and that it was mostly with statins that are NOT water soluble. My husband was on one of those for years, but the VA finally got Crestor, and it is water-soluble. There is another one that is, and his mom takes it. I forget what it is called.

Do you remember what kind your father in law was on? But you are right--there may be all kinds of law suits down the road, if the connection can be proven.

Comment

Done and will do.

I sent your post to Pastor Dan. Here is his reply.

I have not been on that drug.
                    They are labeling my condition the same type of neuropathy.

Comment

I have not been on that drug. They are labeling my condition the same type of neuropathy.
                      I suppose it's a relief he's not been on statins (Crestor, L!pitor, Lescor, Mevacor, Zocor; there are others). I'll keep him in prayer.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
                        I remember reading something about this a few years ago, and that it was mostly with statins that are NOT water soluble. My husband was on one of those for years, but the VA finally got Crestor, and it is water-soluble. There is another one that is, and his mom takes it. I forget what it is called.

Do you remember what kind your father in law was on? But you are right--there may be all kinds of law suits down the road, if the connection can be proven.
                        My father-in-law (I call him dad)was on L!pitor for at least fifteen years (maybe 20-25!). He's 83(?) and he started having problems bearing his own weight and walking far distances at least in his late 70s. He and his wife were avid backpackers (they section-hiked both the AT and the PCT, and the latter in their 70s!). They do 180-200 miles in ten days! When I went out to Seattle to visit them 6-7 years ago he could barely walk 200 feet. His wife died the following year and at first we thought the inability to walk was part of his severe grief (he suffered a fugue state for about 8 months) and we moved him out to our place. When he suddenly regained his faculties he was still unable to walk very far (maybe fifty feet) and since we were already seeing a variety of folks with lots of letters after their names (he also has a sever heart condition) the focus became the claudication. My recollection could be incorrect her but I don't think he was taken off the statin until he came to live with us and it was at our behest that the cardiologist discontinued the medication. Every physician with whom we spoke was aware of the statin problem but not a single one of them ever initiated disclosure. At least one suggest the risk of cholesterol was greater than that of developing neurological side-effects but since all this began my wife and I have heard many such stories. In the beginning I was a little reluctant because as someone who relies on scientific research to do my job I know the limits of anecdotal reports.

I have also wondered if we're looking at something new. Maybe the CDC will one day track done the etiology of what currently might qualify as a "syndrome." Then maybe it'll get a proper label and the attention it warrants.

I gotta tell y'all a lot of prayer has been rendered on behalf of my dad and although he's not getting better things seem to have plateaued and the body of Christ in more than one congregation have risen to the occasion and supported him with fellowship and transportation. He know longer lives with us and men from at least three completely different congregations (one non-denom, one Baptist, and one Presbyterian routinely come and visit him, take him out (and bring him home ).

Thekla, you might pass this on to Dan if you find it acceptable, but my dad and I were having lunch one day and he said he couldn't for the life of him (no pun intended) imagine why God was keeping him alive. He desperately wants to be with his wife (deceased) and he's spend the better part of three decades mentoring and discipling boys and men in the body of Christ. I suggested to him that he was here to teach how to age in Christ. I think the body sorely lacks this message (and example). I learned quite a bit having in my home for four years until his medical needs exceeded our abilities. Dan has much to teach us by his example but it'll take folks the courage and forbearance to stay involved. Perhaps Dan would consider writing a book. Many years ago I read "Falling Upward," by the Catholic priest, Richard Rohr (I think he's Franciscan). While the book contained some excellent insights it was also laden with non-Christian references that contributed to a "new age" (small "n," small "a") feel and there was a latent pessimism. I think the body of Christ sorely needs a better theology of aging. As I approach 60 and my body makes audible noises as I arise each morning and my children are leaving home I am faced with a variety of concerns to which I cannot recall many speaking. My father-in-law has maintained his faith despite the loss of his vitality and it is encouraging to observe.

Comment

bump

Comment

I have not been on that drug.
                            They are labeling my condition the same type of neuropathy.

Is he diabetic?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Working...
                              X