Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Is gender equality violated by OMOW laws?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats mostly correct yes. A marraige is between a man and a woman. Even that condition is monitored since people in the same family are not allowed to marry one another even if its OMOW. The ONLY condition that ALWAYS applies to individuals seeking a marriage is their gender. Gender applies to EVERYONE

Its both. I believe the deinition of the word "marriage" is important but so is which type of relationship the state/law will sanction. The state COULD say that consenting adult siblings could marry but sanctioning that kind of relationship would be very bad for the perpetuation of the society. Hence the state has no interest in sanctioning those types of marriages or relationships

Trousers were a word used quite extenisvely in the US in the 30s-40s. but pants and trousers are the same thing. If i said trousers to someonethey would come back with a pair of pants. If I sent someone off to get a bicycle they would not come back with something that had a motor on it.

No language is not set in stone but your need to add the words "motor assisted" to the word bicycle indicates its a different TYPE of bicycle but is not a motorcycle.

I understand your lack of interest my point is simply that same sex "marriage" seeks to fundementally change the definition of the word marriage. Same sex couplings represent nothing that has ever been considered a "marriage" in the past not even when polygomy was allowed. There has NEVER been a time when same sex relationships were thought of as a "marriage"
    "Now, what is the Sacrament of the Altar!
    Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink."

Martin Luther "The Large Cathechism"

Comment

Originally posted by ignatius View Post
      Thats mostly correct yes. A marraige is between a man and a woman. Even that condition is monitored since people in the same family are not allowed to marry one another even if its OMOW. The ONLY condition that ALWAYS applies to individuals seeking a marriage is their gender. Gender applies to EVERYONE
      At leased I now understand why you think race is so different from same sex. Thank you very much.

Its both. I believe the deinition of the word "marriage" is important but so is which type of relationship the state/law will sanction. The state COULD say that consenting adult siblings could marry but sanctioning that kind of relationship would be very bad for the perpetuation of the society. Hence the state has no interest in sanctioning those types of marriages or relationships
      I see your point, but a state should be also careful to uphold the constitution while furthering it's interest.
      Not long any more and I will make my case, you helped me quite a lot already.
      Maybe even as soon as in the next post.

Trousers were a word used quite extenisvely in the US in the 30s-40s. but pants and trousers are the same thing. If i said trousers to someonethey would come back with a pair of pants.
      In the US, sure, but does that also work in the UK?

If I sent someone off to get a bicycle they would not come back with something that had a motor on it. No language is not set in stone but your need to add the words "motor assisted" to the word bicycle indicates its a different TYPE of bicycle but is not a motorcycle.
      Today I need to add it, but who is to say how language will look like in the future?

I understand your lack of interest my point is simply that same sex "marriage" seeks to fundementally change the definition of the word marriage. Same sex couplings represent nothing that has ever been considered a "marriage" in the past not even when polygomy was allowed. There has NEVER been a time when same sex relationships were thought of as a "marriage"
      Tradition can be nice, but is no reason to keep a certain definition.
      You surely agree that even though polygamy marriage has been seen as the norm for far more a amount of time than OMOW (and still is considered the norm in different countries today), that this is no reason keep it that way.
      I am living prove that marriage can be thought of as including same sex relationships.
      So are Gay marriage legalised in Denmark
      So are a few states in the US as far I know.

Comment

Very good. I am happy I was able to clarify for you

I believe OMOW upholds the constitution AND meets the states interests. I look forward to your case being laid out

I have no idea since I neither live in the UK or care about what they call pants in the UK. But I would caution that the use of a word as slang is not the same as the actual definition of a word. When kids in the US say something is "sick" according to slang that means "good" but sick still means when you are ill. Does that make sense. But a word like "lift" in the UK is an "elevator" in the US. They point to the same function.

A "motor assisted" bicycle here in the US is referred to sometimes as a moped or a scooter but again no one would confuse either for a bicycle or a motorcycle. But I grasp the concept you are typing to help me see that meanings of words change. While I agree a woman is still called a woman and a man with a make sibling is still a brother. While some things change not everything does.

I agree but as stated even polygomy does not allow 5 men to marry one another. And the interst of the state is best served by OMOW. But a marriage could also be thought of as a brother marrying his sister and there is no good purpose fro the state to sanction such a relationship. "Legalizing" something doesnt make it right
        Answer: It is the true body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, in and under the bread and wine which we Christians are commanded by the Word of Christ to eat and to drink."

Comment

Sorry I have not replied so far. I want to give a lot of thought into my post and so far do not have had the time.
          And it seems I also might not have the time in the next weeks, maybe I can find a free weekend sometime.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Skallagrim View Post
            Sorry I have not replied so far. I want to give a lot of thought into my post and so far do not have had the time.
            And it seems I also might not have the time in the next weeks, maybe I can find a free weekend sometime.

Cheers!
            whenever you are ready

Comment

Edited: Private Debate forum for two posters
              Last edited by Diane S; 12-28-12, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X