Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Is The Emerging/Emergent Church Movement really dead?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is The Emerging/Emergent Church Movement really dead?

Is the Emerging/Emergent Church Movement really dead, or has it merely spread its ideology, infiltrating Christian Churches all over the world?

• George
    replied
    Originally posted by organgrinder View Post

Squeaky wheels are great. IT just depends on how he Holy Spirit is leading. However, there will come a time when leaders will refuse to listen and those given the warnings will need to go for their own spiritual safety and benefit. What is happening in your Methodist church is no different than what happened to the United Methodist Church in Olympia even though I never attended there. Rainbow banners, inclusivity with no ministerial restrictions, social gospel and no solid preaching from the written Word of God. Might as well attend the Universal Unitarian Church where anything goes and all ways lead to heaven (contrary to what the Bible teaches).

We are truly living in the last days as the prophets have foretold.

God bless and I hope you are fellowshipping with other like-minded believers still in that church. You'll need each other.

-Speedy
    Thank you for your support.

Leave a comment:

• George
    replied

Squeaky wheels are great. IT just depends on how he Holy Spirit is leading. However, there will come a time when leaders will refuse to listen and those given the warnings will need to go for their own spiritual safety and benefit. What is happening in your Methodist church is no different than what happened to the United Methodist Church in Olympia even though I never attended there. Rainbow banners, inclusivity with no ministerial restrictions, social gospel and no solid preaching from the written Word of God. Might as well attend the Universal Unitarian Church where anything goes and all ways lead to heaven (contrary to what the Bible teaches).

God bless and I hope you are fellowshipping with other like-minded believers still in that church. You'll need each other.

-Speedy
    Thank you for your support.

Leave a comment:

• organgrinder
    replied
    Originally posted by George View Post

Years ago one of the Pastors of this church said she could not believe Jesus was the only way to God. Pastors who followed her said the same even though Jesus said He was the only way.

A couple years ago the senior Pastor held a study on Islam, which was an apologetic for Islam. He invited a Muslim lady to the last session to answer questions. He allowed her to leave some Islamic literature which included anti-Christian charges. I suggested that the Pastor hold another session so we could addressed those charges, but he refused.

I know I am OK no matter what church I attend. Perhaps THIS church needs a squeaky wheel?

Thanks for your input.

-Speedy

Leave a comment:

• George
    replied

OK. Thought it might be a main-line.Then again, some of the non-denominationals float all over. Like trying to nail jello to the wall. Sad thing about this energent church movement is lack of solid doctrine and an ******* focus on the social gospel. A Lutheran pastor I knew in college 45 years ago concentrated on the social gospel figuring that engaging young people by helping others would draw them to a relationship with Jesus. He figured out it wouldn't work and went back to preaching a person needed to be "born again".

Perhaps time you found a new fellowship that holds to the balanced truth of the Word of God. Unless your Methodist church leaders change, why fellowship in a church led by leaders who are going down the apostate road?

-Speedy
    Years ago one of the Pastors of this church said she could not believe Jesus was the only way to God. Pastors who followed her said the same even though Jesus said He was the only way.

A couple years ago the senior Pastor held a study on Islam, which was an apologetic for Islam. He invited a Muslim lady to the last session to answer questions. He allowed her to leave some Islamic literature which included anti-Christian charges. I suggested that the Pastor hold another session so we could addressed those charges, but he refused.

I know I am OK no matter what church I attend. Perhaps THIS church needs a squeaky wheel?

Thanks for your input.

Leave a comment:

• organgrinder
    replied

United Methodist.
    OK. Thought it might be a main-line.Then again, some of the non-denominationals float all over. Like trying to nail jello to the wall. Sad thing about this energent church movement is lack of solid doctrine and an extreme focus on the social gospel. A Lutheran pastor I knew in college 45 years ago concentrated on the social gospel figuring that engaging young people by helping others would draw them to a relationship with Jesus. He figured out it wouldn't work and went back to preaching a person needed to be "born again".

Perhaps time you found a new fellowship that holds to the balanced truth of the Word of God. Unless your Methodist church leaders change, why fellowship in a church led by leaders who are going down the apostate road?

-Speedy

Leave a comment:

• George
    replied

Which church is the one you are attending ? Having trouble with my wireless keyboard and mouse. Will revert back to a wired connection. Thank you.

-Speedy
    United Methodist.

Leave a comment:

• organgrinder
    replied

I don't understand what you mean by: "so which on is it?" Please clarify what you mean. Thanks.
    Which church is the one you are attending ? Having trouble with my wireless keyboard and mouse. Will revert back to a wired connection. Thank you.

-Speedy

Leave a comment:

• George
    replied

So which on is it? You can PM if you are uncomfortable sharing publically. I lived in Olympia over 50 years.

-Speedy
    I don't understand what you mean by: "so which on is it?" Please clarify what you mean. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• organgrinder
    replied

I have attended this church for about 15 years, but have not joined because this church is too liberal.

I am reading this book:

https://www.christianbook.com/becomi...iAAEgLCI_D_BwE

It has a lot to say about Brian McLaren and his views and some are not pretty.

So which on is it? You can PM if you are uncomfortable sharing publically. I lived in Olympia over 50 years.

-Speedy

Leave a comment:

• George
    replied

Notify your pastor and elders (if there are any) of your position. Then leave. McLaren's teachings are poison.

-Speedy
    I have attended this church for about 15 years, but have not joined because this church is too liberal.

I am reading this book:

https://www.christianbook.com/becomi...iAAEgLCI_D_BwE

It has a lot to say about Brian McLaren and his views and some are not pretty.

Leave a comment:

• organgrinder
    replied
    My church is reading McLaren's book: The Great Spiritual Migration: How the World's Largest Religion Is Seeking a Better Way to Be Christian

The Pastors and all of the Bible Study leaders were very impressed with this book. The Pastor is basing his sermons on it.

I have problems with this book and some of the things McLaren says in it.

He speaks of the "violent God" of the Old Testament vs the God of Love in the New Testament, ignoring that what he sees as a violent God in the Old Testament is God's judgment against sin.

In Chapter 1, McLaren uses Jesus' cleansing of the Temple to say that Jesus did not believe in animal sacrifices.

McLaren said: “It turns out that Jesus wasn’t the first to dare to question the architecture of appeasement.” McLaren mentions Hosea 6:6 and Isaiah 1 and 2 and Psalm 51, verse 17 as proof.

All the verses he cited are about God not accepting sacrifices without the right heart.

He ignored verse 19 in Psalm 51, which says: Then You will delight in righteous sacrifices,
    whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on Your altar.

This is dishonest to say the least.

I am amazed that my church has been taken in by Brian McLaren.

Notify your pastor and elders (if there are any) of your position. Then leave. McLaren's teachings are poison.

-Speedy

Leave a comment:

• George
    replied
    My church is reading McLaren's book: The Great Spiritual Migration: How the World's Largest Religion Is Seeking a Better Way to Be Christian

The Pastors and all of the Bible Study leaders were very impressed with this book. The Pastor is basing his sermons on it.

I have problems with this book and some of the things McLaren says in it.

He speaks of the "violent God" of the Old Testament vs the God of Love in the New Testament, ignoring that what he sees as a violent God in the Old Testament is God's judgment against sin.

In Chapter 1, McLaren uses Jesus' cleansing of the Temple to say that Jesus did not believe in animal sacrifices.

McLaren said: “It turns out that Jesus wasn’t the first to dare to question the architecture of appeasement.” McLaren mentions Hosea 6:6 and Isaiah 1 and 2 and Psalm 51, verse 17 as proof.

All the verses he cited are about God not accepting sacrifices without the right heart.

He ignored verse 19 in Psalm 51, which says: Then You will delight in righteous sacrifices,
    whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on Your altar.

This is dishonest to say the least.

I am amazed that my church has been taken in by Brian McLaren.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Stidham
    replied
    Originally posted by Inzl Kett View Post
    This stuff is like a cancer. It is now infecting mainline churches. Our church just expunged two people that were espousing this stuff. One them left a nasty note in my church inbox a few weeks ago. It's very much alive and gone underground, but it's infecting the mainline churches now.
    That is pretty much what I was going to say. Except for a few independent types, most of the emergent movement has been assimilated into mainline churches.

Leave a comment:

• Sherman
    replied
    This stuff is like a cancer. It is now infecting mainline churches. Our church just expunged two people that were espousing this stuff. One them left a nasty note in my church inbox a few weeks ago. It's very much alive and gone underground, but it's infecting the mainline churches now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X