Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Biblical Responses to the New Age Movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biblical Responses to the New Age Movement

1. God is personal. If God were impersonal, then the following qualities could not be His:
      1. God speaks and has a self-given name: "I AM" (Exodus 3:14).
      2. God is long-suffering (Psalm 86:15; 2 Peter 3:15).
      3. God is forgiving (Daniel 9:9; Ephesians 1:7; Psalm 86:5).
      4. God hates sin (Psalm 5:5-6; Habakkuk 1:13).
    2. Man is not divine but a sinner (Romans 3:23).
      1. He is deceitful and desperately sick (Jer. 17:9).
      2. He is full of evil (Mark 7:21-23).
      3. He loves darkness rather than light (John 3:19).
      4. He is unrighteous, does not understand, does not seek for God (Rom. 3:10-12).
      5. He is helpless and ungodly (Rom. 5:6).
      6. He is dead in his trespasses and sins (Eph. 2:1).
      7. He is by nature a child of wrath (Eph. 2:3).
      8. He cannot understand spiritual things (1 Cor. 2:14).

Originally posted by thomas1961
    Biblical Responses to the New Age Movement

1. God is personal...

2. Man is not divine...
    Fairly succinct. Well done.

But I read nothing telling them where to go to find that which they seek. the already established method of a simple thesis with numbered points and supporting scripture could serve nicely to that end.
    All verses cited or quoted or in the NAS unless otherwise noted.

“if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not win the prize unless he competes according to the rules.” (2 Tim. 2:5)

Comment

1. Salvation is not correct thought but deliverance from the consequence of our sin (Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-9).
        1. Salvation is God's deliverance from damnation (Eph. 2:8-9; Rom. 1:18; 2:5; 5:9).
        2. This salvation is found in no one but Jesus alone (Acts 4:12).
      2. Miracles are from God not from the mind of man (Matthew 8:1-4; Mark 6:30-44; Luke 17:12-19; John 2:1-11).
        1. Miracles imply an action by someone that is greater than ourselves. If God is impersonal, miracles cannot occur; but they do occur today as well as in Bible times and are not simply proper thoughts or understanding.

Comment

That is about the most biased selection of verses possible! So here are some to contradict yours:

Some men are righteous:
        Gen 6:9 Noah was a just man, perfect in his generation.
        I appreciate that Job is probably not a real person so this is not a valid example, but you probably think he was:
        Job 1:1 Job was blameless and upright, feared God and shunned evil.
        2 Sam 22:21-25 (David speaking):
        The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness;
        According to the cleanness of my hands He has recompensed me.
        For I have kept the ways of the Lord, And have not wickedly departed from my God.
        For all His judgements were before me; And as for His statutes, I did not depart from them.
        I was also blameless before Him, And I kept myself from my iniquity.
        Therefore the Lord has recompensed me according to my righteousness,
        According to my cleanness in His eyes.
        Some men do seek after God:
        Acts 17:26-27 [God] marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him.
        Some men seem to even seek and find salvation without knowing about Jesus:
        Rom 2:7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honour and immortality, he will give eternal life.
        Can't you see that picking out some verse that happens to say what you want it to say and then saying "Thus says the Bible" or worse "Thus says GOD" is rather pointless? It convinces no one who doubts it, or maybe even knows that it cannot possibly be true.

What is the point of being delivered from the "consequence of our sin" (quoting thomas1961), if we are not also delivered from our inclination to keep sinning - as the consequences will surely be reinstated?

Take the parable of the unforgiving servant (Matt 18:23). As a result of his plea for mercy the consequence of his sin was simply forgiven (with no penal substitute you might notice!). But then as a result of his bad behaviour toward his fellow servants, the consequences of his previously forgiven sin was reinstated!

I can't give a better description of the difference between forgiveness and real salvation than Sadhu Sundar Singh (speaking for Jesus):
        The forgiveness of sins does not mean full salvation, for that can only come with perfect freedom from sin. For it is possible that a man should die from the disease of his sin, though he has received full pardon for it. For instance, a man had his brain affected owing to an illness of long standing, and whilst thus affected he made an attack upon another man and killed him. When sentence of death was pronounced upon him, his relatives explained the circumstances and appealed for mercy for him, and he was granted pardon for the sin of murder. But before his friends could reach him with the good news, indeed while they were on the way, he had died of the sickness by reason of which he had committed the murder.

What advantage was this pardon to the murderer? His real safety would have been to be cured of his disease, and then he would have had real happiness in his pardon. For this reason I became manifest in the flesh that I might deliver penitent believers from the disease of sin, from its punishment and from death; thus taking away both cause and effect. They will not die in their sins, for I will save them (Matt. 1:21), and they shall pass from death to becomes heirs of eternal life.
        Please don't take this post as being overly critical of yours. I am sure we agree more than we disagree but it is hard to start a beneficial learning exchange starting with simple agreement don't you think?

Comment

Gandalf It has been a few months since this thread was touched, but it's important to note that both Job and Noah's "blamelessness" was not perfection or righteousness before God. The Hebrew word used can just as easily mean "a guy with integrity". https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang...gs=H8549&t=KJV

Outline of Biblical usage:
          1. complete, whole, entire
          2. whole, sound, healthful
          3. complete, entire (of time)
          4. sound, wholesome, unimpaired, innocent, having integrity
          5. what is complete or entirely in accord with truth and fact (neuter adj/subst)
          As you can see, the least common use for that word would be one that intricate a degree of perfection.

Righteousness is only obtained by faith/belief, which Paul points out is a "gift from God, and not of ourselves, lest any man should boast".

Regardless of your perspective on the literal existence of Job, your suppositions about the interpretations of the OT passages are incorrect. Man is incapable of salvation apart from faith in Jesus. That doesn't mean that we can judge if that faith has been provided to any specific individual (though the Bible gives us some good indicators in that regard).

In response to the quote from Romans, the entire context of Romans 1 and the verses following 2:7 indicates that the entire purpose of the passages is to expose the fact that man, as a whole, is incapable of righteousness on their own. See Romans 3:10-31, which is the culmination of the point.
          ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Thaillen View Post
            Gandalf It has been a few months since this thread was touched, but it's important to note that both Job and Noah's "blamelessness" was not perfection or righteousness before God. The Hebrew word used can just as easily mean "a guy with integrity". https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang...gs=H8549&t=KJV

Outline of Biblical usage:
            1. complete, whole, entire
            2. whole, sound, healthful
            3. complete, entire (of time)
            4. sound, wholesome, unimpaired, innocent, having integrity
            5. what is complete or entirely in accord with truth and fact (neuter adj/subst)
            As you can see, the least common use for that word would be one that intricate a degree of perfection.

Righteousness is only obtained by faith/belief, which Paul points out is a "gift from God, and not of ourselves, lest any man should boast".

Regardless of your perspective on the literal existence of Job, your suppositions about the interpretations of the OT passages are incorrect. Man is incapable of salvation apart from faith in Jesus. That doesn't mean that we can judge if that faith has been provided to any specific individual (though the Bible gives us some good indicators in that regard).

In response to the quote from Romans, the entire context of Romans 1 and the verses following 2:7 indicates that the entire purpose of the passages is to expose the fact that man, as a whole, is incapable of righteousness on their own. See Romans 3:10-31, which is the culmination of the point.
            ​​​​​
            1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and there is no truth in us

Comment

1. Christ means "anointed." Jesus was the Christ, the anointed one. It does not mean a consciousness or quality of people. Jesus was the Christ, the Messiah, the Deliverer from sin.
                1. Jesus is the Christ (Matt. 16:16, 20; Luke 9:20).
                2. "Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory" (Luke 24:26).
                3. "Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and rise again from the dead the third day" (Luke 24:46).
                4. " . . . we have found the Messiah (which translated means Christ)" (John 1:41).
                5. "He [David] looked ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ . . . " (Acts 2:31).
                6. " . . . God has made Him both Lord and Christ this Jesus whom you crucified" (Acts 2:36).
                7. "For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly" (Rom. 5:6).
                8. "Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life" (Rom. 6:4).
                9. Christ is crucified (1 Cor. 1:23).
                10. You sin against Christ (1 Cor. 8:12).
                11. The blood of Christ (1 Cor. 10:16).
              2. Only the Bible has the message of Grace. Grace is the unmerited favor of God upon His people. Grace is the undeserved kindness of God. Grace is getting the blessings we do not deserve. At the death of Christ we are blessed; we are given grace; we are given eternal life and forgiveness of sins. Only Christianity has the message of free forgiveness given. Every other religious system on earth has some form of salvation dependent totally or in part on what the adherents do but not so with Christianity.
              3. Humanity is not unlimited but just the opposite: it is under bondage (Romans 5:12). Sin is its master--a deadly and deceitful one at that.
              4. True morality is that which is revealed by God in the Bible (Exodus 20). Anything else is only an imitation--a set of ideas laid down by man that originate from the mind of sinful man.
              5. The Bible opposes almost all the tenets of the New Age Movement. As Christians, we should be watchful to recognize what is false and teach what is true. We should be wary because the Edenic lie still rings strong in the hearts of the deceived--and they want us to believe as they.

Comment

The New Age God is an impersonal force pervading all creation; this is known as Monism meaning “One-ism”. They believe all that exists is derived from a single force of divine energy. This concept was popularized in the movie “Star Wars”, where the Force, was present in the Universe. This view of god harmonizes with the Hindu view of Pantheism. Pantheism believes all that exists is God; God is all that exists. This leads naturally to the concept of the divinity of the individual, that we are all Gods, Gods within the self and throughout the entire universe. The Hindu Vedas read:
                This whole world is Brahma. Tranquil, let one worship. It as that from which he came forth, as that into which he will be dissolved, as that in which he breathes.[2]
                Christian Response
                God is distinct from his creation. He is the source of all that exists but his identity is distinct and eternal from what He created.
                Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, And He who formed you from the womb: "I am the Lord, who makes all things, Who stretches out the heavens all alone, Who spreads abroad the earth by Myself;
                Isaiah 44:24
                Thus says God the Lord, Who created the heavens and stretched them out, Who spread forth the earth and that which comes from it, Who gives breath to the people on it, And spirit to those who walk on it:
                Isaiah 42:5
                24 "God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.
                25 "Nor is He worshiped with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. Acts 17:24-25
                God is also a personal God knowing his creation and having a relationship with them being pleased and displeased.
                7 Then the Lord appeared to Abram and said, "To your descendants I will give this land." And there he built an altar to the Lord, who had appeared to him. Genesis 12:7
                11 So the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. And he would return to the camp, but his servant Joshua the son of Nun, a young man, did not depart from the tabernacle.
                Exodus 33:11

Comment

Man is ultimately God, this follows from the Monist and Pantheistic view of God. This is the being/embodiment relationship, as exemplified primarily in the Eastern religions and philosophies….this relationship simply affirms that all life is one, that I am one with God and can embody Divinity…God and I do not just communicate; we commune and are one. There is no separation except failure to recognize that there is no separation.[3]
                  Shirley MacLaine, a Hollywood voice for the New Age wrote in here book, Out on a Limb,
                  I know that I exist, therefore I AM, I know that the God-source exists. Therefore IT IS. Since I am part of that force, then I AM that I AM.[4]
                  Christian Response

The Bible clearly distinguishes God from Man who was created by God for God’s Glory.
                  7 Everyone who is called by My name, Whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him."
                  Isaiah 43:7
                  5 'I have made the earth, the man and the beast that are on the ground, by My great power and by My outstretched arm, and have given it to whom it seemed proper to Me.
                  Jeremiah 27:5

Comment

Since mankind is not a fallen creature, no salvation is necessary. We only need to rescue from ignorance of our godhood. Once we enter “god-realization”, “enlightenment”, “attunement” or “at-one-ment (With God), we are personally transformed.We already know everything. The knowingness of our divinity is the highest intelligence. And to be what we already know is the free will. Free will is simply the enactment of the realization that you are God, a realization that you are divine.[5]
                    The aim of a Course in Miracles is to lead us from duality to oneness—to the realization of our At-one-ment with God, our Self, and all people---our brothers. In this healing, is our Salvation—we are saved from our misperceptions of ourselves as separated individuals. When our perception is corrected we remember our true or higher Self…Salvation is really enlightenment.[6]
                    Christian Response
                    The Bible clearly teaches that some will be saved and others will not be saved. Salvation is not universal. Individuals live one life and must give an account for that one life.
                    "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
                    "Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?'
                    "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'
                    Matthew 7:21-23
                    27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,
                    Hebrews 9:27

Comment

Jesus Christ The Jesus of the New Age is differs from the Biblical Jesus. The New Age separates Jesus from Christ. Jesus was one of many Christs or teachers, who came to show the way. Christ is seen as office being held by an avatar or teacher.
                      Jesus differed but little from other children, only that in past lives he had overcome carnal propensities…Jesus was a remarkable child, for by ages of strenuous preparation he was qualified to be an avatar, a savior of the world. [7]
                      In every age Teachers have come forth from this spiritual centre to enable mankind to take its next evolutionary step; we know them, among others, as Hercules, Hermes, Rama, Mithra, Vyasa, Sanskaracharya, Krishna, Buddha, and the Christ. All perfect men in their time, all sons of men who became Sons of God, for having revealed their innate Divinity.[8]
                      Christian Response
                      Jesus is God incarnate, God the Son born of a virgin, who came into the world and died on a cross. Jesus is the only means of salvation.
                      6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
                      John 14:6
                      4 And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you.
                      5 "For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many.
                      Matthew 24:4-5
                      25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.
                      26 "And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this
                      John 11:25-26

Comment

Christian Response
                        Astrology and Horoscopes are not new but repackaged paganism condemned in the Bible. The stars of the Universe were created for light on the earth. They are not to be worshipped or used for
                        12 "Stand now with your enchantments And the multitude of your sorceries, In which you have labored from your youth-Perhaps you will be able to profit, Perhaps you will prevail.
                        13 You are wearied in the multitude of your counsels; Let now the astrologers, the stargazers, And the monthly prognosticators Stand up and save you From what shall come upon you.
                        Isaiah 47:12-15
                        2 Thus says the Lord: "Do not learn the way of the Gentiles; Do not be dismayed at the signs of heaven, For the Gentiles are dismayed at them.
                        Jeremiah 10:2
                        19 "And take heed, lest you lift your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun, the moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven, you feel driven to worship them and serve them, which the Lord your God has given to all the peoples under the whole heaven as a heritage.
                        Deuteronomy 4:19

Comment

31 'Give no regard to mediums and familiar spirits; do not seek after them, to be defiled by them: I am the Lord your God.
                          Leviticus 19:31
                          6 'And the person who turns to mediums and familiar spirits, to prostitute himself with them, I will set My face against that person and cut him off from his people.
                          'A man or a woman who is a medium, or who has familiar spirits, shall surely be put to death; they shall stone them with stones. Their blood shall be upon them.' "
                          Leviticus 20:6,27
                          19 And when they say to you, "Seek those who are mediums and wizards, who whisper and mutter," should not a people seek their God? Should they seek the dead on behalf of the living?
                          Isaiah 8:19
                          16 Now it happened, as we went to prayer, that a certain slave girl possessed with a spirit of divination met us, who brought her masters much profit by fortune-telling.
                          17 This girl followed Paul and us, and cried out, saying, "These men are the servants of the Most High God, who proclaim to us the way of salvation."
                          18 And this she did for many days. But Paul, greatly annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, "I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her." And he came out that very hour.
                          19 But when her masters saw that their hope of profit was gone, they seized Paul and Silas and dragged them into the marketplace to the authorities.
                          Acts 16:16-19

Comment

Christian Response
                            Reincarnation is a Hinduism and Buddhist belief introduced via the New-Age movement.
                            Scripture clearly teaches that we have one life, after this life we must give an account. For this reason, Christ died on the cross, to pay for our sins. Reincarnation is salvation through works, as the soul has a 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc..turns at redemption. This deceives people into thinking they will have another opportunity at salvation if they don’t make it in this life.

And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,
                            Hebrews 9:27
                            Lazarus and the rich man
                            19 "There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day.
                            20 "But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate,
                            21 "desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
                            22 "So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried.
                            23 "And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
                            24 "Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.'
                            25 "But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented.
                            26 'And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.'
                            27 "Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house,
                            28 'for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'
                            29 "Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.'
                            30 "And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'
                            31 "But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' "
                            Luke 16:19-31

Comment

Demons: daimovnion Daimonion (dahee-mon'-ee-on); Word Origin: Greek, Noun Neuter, Strong #: 1140. Demons are fallen angels who fell with Satan, when he rejected God’s authority. According to Revelation 12 1/3 of the Angels rebelled with Satan against God. Demons refers to these fallen angels.

Comment

Working...
                              X