Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

We are all Gods.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are all Gods.

This gets insane.

How do you define "god"?

The gods of Ancient Greece were much like us, they weren't omnipresent, nor were they omniscient. In Pompeii, blasphemous graffiti was found painted on walls evidencing this (of course, it seems like they pissed Hephaestus off).

I'm not saying we are all gods, but the idea is one that's hard not to enjoy. Controlling typhoons, making money appear from nothing, getting people drunk on sight. I'd prefer to be a demigod, though. A hero, on a quest to save the world, and stuff. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Or, here's one beyond imagination.

We start as a failing college student (not failing, but confused) who wants something out of life that is remarkable. They have million dollar ideas like the rest of us, but this person cashes out on it. They save up and get clothes and mechanical attachments to make them run faster and jump higher. They get jet packs and such. They save up for genetic modification to improve neural processing and blood cell growth, making themselves superhuman.

Maybe they fight crime

They finish college and become a biologist focused on improving the human body and repairing it. From there, they use the immortal jellyfish to figure out cell regeneration, being the first human to fully realize immortality. They then continue pursuing power indefinitely, somehow making themselves beyond human in scope of power and understanding.

No human has ever done something like that. It's on the verge of our abilities to do anything of the sort. While I don't think anyone will accomplish this, it's fun to think about, maybe a fun plot point for a novel.

Just a fun play on men and women thinking themselves gods.
    Eterna Pope of Fnords. Hail Eris!

Originally posted by Yuki Euphoric View Post
    This gets insane.

How do you define "god"?

The gods of Ancient Greece were much like us, they weren't omnipresent, nor were they omniscient. In Pompeii, blasphemous graffiti was found painted on walls evidencing this (of course, it seems like they pissed Hephaestus off).

I'm not saying we are all gods, but the idea is one that's hard not to enjoy. Controlling typhoons, making money appear from nothing, getting people drunk on sight. I'd prefer to be a demigod, though. A hero, on a quest to save the world, and stuff. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Or, here's one beyond imagination.

We start as a failing college student (not failing, but confused) who wants something out of life that is remarkable. They have million dollar ideas like the rest of us, but this person cashes out on it. They save up and get clothes and mechanical attachments to make them run faster and jump higher. They get jet packs and such. They save up for genetic modification to improve neural processing and blood cell growth, making themselves superhuman.

Maybe they fight crime

They finish college and become a biologist focused on improving the human body and repairing it. From there, they use the immortal jellyfish to figure out cell regeneration, being the first human to fully realize immortality. They then continue pursuing power indefinitely, somehow making themselves beyond human in scope of power and understanding.

No human has ever done something like that. It's on the verge of our abilities to do anything of the sort. While I don't think anyone will accomplish this, it's fun to think about, maybe a fun plot point for a novel.

Just a fun play on men and women thinking themselves gods.
    Satan is false god!

Comment

Psalm 86:8

Good News Translation (GNT)

[SIZE=2]8 [/SIZE]There is no god like you, O Lord,
      not one has done what you have done.

Comment

Exodus 20:3

Good News Translation (GNT)

[SIZE=2]3 [/SIZE]“Worship no god but me.

Comment

Well I thought it was a funny notion :l
          Eterna Pope of Fnords. Hail Eris!

Comment

How many Gods are there, one or many?

cf. Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6, 8 and Genesis 1:26; 3:22; 11:7; 1 Cor. 8:5; I John 5:8

1. One God
              1. (Deuteronomy 6:4) - "Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one!"
              2. (Isaiah 43:10) - ". . . Before Me [YHWH] there was no God formed, and there will be none after Me."
              3. (Isaiah 44:6) - ". . . there is no God besides Me."
              4. (Isaiah 44:8) - ". . . And you are My witnesses. Is there any God besides Me, or is there any other Rock? I know of none."
            2. Many gods
              1. (Genesis 1:26) - "Then God said, 'Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness . . . .'"
              2. (Genesis 3:22) - "And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil . . ."
              3. (Genesis 11:7) - "Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."
              4. (1 Corinthians 8:5) - "For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords")."
              5. (1 John 5:8) - "For there are three that bear witness, the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement."
            The Bible tells us that there is only one God in all existence (Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8). However, it also mentions "other gods." For example there is Adrammelech and Anammelech (2 Kings 17:31), Asherah (1 Kings 18:19), Baal (Judges 3:7), Chemosh (Num. 21:29), Dagon (1 Sam. 5:2), Molech (Lev. 18:21; 20:2-5), etc. The Bible is not contradicting itself. When the Bible speaks of other gods it is speaking of false gods that have no true existence. Gal. 4:8 says, "Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods." See also, Isaiah 37:19 and Jeremiah 2:11. God tells us that he alone is the true God and that all of the invented gods of man do not exist except in their own minds. So, we can see that the Bible is not contradicting itself regarding how many gods there are in existence. There is only one.
            Note: in the verses in Genesis that have God saying "Let us make..., Let us go down . . . , etc." are clues to the Trinitarian nature of God. God is a Trinity of persons: a Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. There are not three Gods, but one. There are those who insist that the Trinity is polytheistic. But it is not. Trinitarians believe in a single being who is God.

Comment

Question: Can we become gods? Answer: No. Some Eastern religions mistakenly teach that we can become gods or goddesses through good works and reincarnation. Some even say that this is how Jesus became a god. Oddly, some cults teach that a person becomes a god when he becomes a Christian, or can become one in the next life. One of Satan’s lies to Adam and Eve was, “You shall be as gods” (Genesis 3:5). Many people still believe that lie. Satan himself tried to become a god and was thrown out of Heaven (Isaiah 14:12 -15). It is high blasphemy and self-idolatry to try to become a god. It is not only a ridiculous idea, but a futile attempt. It only brings a person down to Hell (Ezekiel 28:6-9). There is only one true God, but many false gods (I Corinthians 8:5-6). Jesus was not a man who became a god, but was the true God who became the God-Man (John 1:1,14). When we believe in Christ, we become children of God by adoption (Galatians 4:5). We do not become little gods, however. Christians will be made perfect in Heaven one day, but they will always remain human, not be made divine.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuki Euphoric View Post
                Well I thought it was a funny notion :l
                And you worship false god Satan!

Comment

Question: "What does the Bible mean by 'you are gods' / 'ye are gods' in Psalm 82:6 and John 10:34?"

Answer:
                  Let’s start with a look at Psalm 82, the psalm that Jesus quotes in John 10:34. The Hebrew word translated “gods” in Psalm 82:6 is Elohim. It usually refers to the one true God, but it does have other uses. Psalm 82:1 says, “God presides in the great assembly; he gives judgment among the gods.” It is clear from the next three verses that the word “gods” refers to magistrates, judges, and other people who hold positions of authority and rule. Calling a human magistrate a “god” indicates three things: 1) he has authority over other human beings, 2) the power he wields as a civil authority is to be feared, and 3) he derives his power and authority from God Himself, who is pictured as judging the whole earth in verse 8.

This use of the word “gods” to refer to humans is rare, but it is found elsewhere in the Old Testament. For example, when God sent Moses to Pharaoh, He said, “See, I have made you like God to Pharaoh” (Exodus 7:1). This simply means that Moses, as the messenger of God, was speaking God’s words and would therefore be God’s representative to the king. The Hebrew word Elohim is translated “judges” in Exodus 21:6 and 22:8, 9, and 28.

The whole point of Psalm 82 is that earthly judges must act with impartiality and true justice, because even judges must stand someday before the Judge. Verses 6 and 7 warn human magistrates that they, too, must be judged: “I said, `You are gods; you are all sons of the Most High.' But you will die like mere men; you will fall like every other ruler.” This passage is saying that God has appointed men to positions of authority in which they are considered as gods among the people. They are to remember that, even though they are representing God in this world, they are mortal and must eventually give an account to God for how they used that authority.

Now, let’s look at how Jesus uses this passage. Jesus had just claimed to be the Son of God (John 10:25-30). The unbelieving Jews respond by charging Jesus with blasphemy, since He claimed to be God (verse 33). Jesus then quotes Psalm 82:6, reminding the Jews that the Law refers to mere men—albeit men of authority and prestige—as “gods.” Jesus’ point is this: you charge me with blasphemy based on my use of the title “Son of God”; yet your own Scriptures apply the same term to magistrates in general. If those who hold a divinely appointed office can be considered “gods,” how much more can the One whom God has chosen and sent (verses 34-36)?

In contrast, we have the serpent’s lie to Eve in the Garden. His statement, “your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil” (Genesis 3:5), was a half-truth. Their eyes were opened (verse 7), but they did not become like God. In fact, they lost authority, rather than gaining it. Satan deceived Eve about her ability to become like the one true God, and so led her into a lie. Jesus defended His claim to be the Son of God on biblical and semantic grounds—there is a sense in which influential men can be thought of as gods; therefore, the Messiah can rightly apply the term to Himself. Human beings are not “gods” or “little gods.” We are not God. God is God, and we who know Christ are His children.

Read more: http://www.*****************/Printer/...#ixzz2jnNsmrWm

Comment

Isaiah 43:10
                    "People of Israel, you are my witnesses; I chose you to be my servant, so that you would know me and believe me and understand that I am the only God. Besides me there is no other god; there never was and never will be."

Isaiah 44:6
                    The Lord, who rules and protects Israel, the LORD Almighy, has this to say: "I am the first; the last, the only God; there is no other god but me."

Isaiah 44:8-9
                    "Do not be afraid, my people! You know that from ancient times until now I have predicted all that would happen, and you are my witnesses. Is there any other god? Is there some powerful god I never heard of?" All those who make idols are worthless, and the gods they prize so highly are useless. Those who worship these gods are blind and ignorant - and they will be disgraced.
                    Last edited by thomas dickensheets; 11-05-13, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Jer 10:10-11
                      But you, Lord, are the true God, you are the living God and the eternal king. When you are angry, the world trembles; the nations cannot endure your anger. You people must tell them that the gods who did not make the earth and the sky will be destroyed. They will no longer exist anywhere on earth.

Comment

Jer. 16:19-20
                        "Our ancestors had nothing but false gods, nothing but useless idols. Can people make their own gods? No, if they did, those wouldn't really be gods."

Comment

“You shall have no other gods before Me” (Exodus 20:3). He condemns all pagan gods. “All the gods of the nations are idols” (Psalm 96:5). “They sacrificed to demons, not to God” (Deuteronomy 32:17; I Corinthians 10:20 ).

Comment

Deut. 32:21

With their idols they have made me angry, jealous with their so-called gods; gods that are really not gods.

Comment

For the emperor! Who sits on his golden throne, the immortal god king of 1 billion planets. Cleanse and purge that's what I always say!

Comment

Working...
                              X