Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

We are all Gods.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RecoveringSBaptist View Post
    You shouldn't start a sentence with and. Your god should reveal that to you.
    And you worship Satan!

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlit View Post
      What you describe is an interesting fantasy; but the idea of a human being a god has a number of practical iterations in various religions. It is a very Neo-Pagan, and has less to do with superpowers, and more to do with self-determination.

There are also times when it is taken very literally; in Wicca, rituals such as Drawing Down the Moon or the Great Rite require the high priest and high priestess of the coven to become the Goddess and the God; in Nepal, the Kumari child is worshiped by Hindus as the living incarnation of the goddess Durga; the Dalai Lama is considered by Tibetan Buddhists to be the living incarnation of Avalokiteshvara, the bodhisattva of compassion; in Shinto, national heroes or leaders can be deified, though often posthumously - speaking of which, there are lots of groups that worship ancestors as gods.

And so on. What it entails and how it is perceived varies by religion. It may seem like a weird notion, but I'm pretty sure there are aspects of every religion that are incomprehensible, laughable or off-putting when viewed from the outside.
      They are false god!

Comment

Originally posted by Yuki Euphoric View Post
        This gets insane.

How do you define "god"?

The gods of Ancient Greece were much like us, they weren't omnipresent, nor were they omniscient. In Pompeii, blasphemous graffiti was found painted on walls evidencing this (of course, it seems like they pissed Hephaestus off).

I'm not saying we are all gods, but the idea is one that's hard not to enjoy. Controlling typhoons, making money appear from nothing, getting people drunk on sight. I'd prefer to be a demigod, though. A hero, on a quest to save the world, and stuff. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

Or, here's one beyond imagination.

We start as a failing college student (not failing, but confused) who wants something out of life that is remarkable. They have million dollar ideas like the rest of us, but this person cashes out on it. They save up and get clothes and mechanical attachments to make them run faster and jump higher. They get jet packs and such. They save up for genetic modification to improve neural processing and blood cell growth, making themselves superhuman.

Maybe they fight crime

They finish college and become a biologist focused on improving the human body and repairing it. From there, they use the immortal jellyfish to figure out cell regeneration, being the first human to fully realize immortality. They then continue pursuing power indefinitely, somehow making themselves beyond human in scope of power and understanding.

No human has ever done something like that. It's on the verge of our abilities to do anything of the sort. While I don't think anyone will accomplish this, it's fun to think about, maybe a fun plot point for a novel.

Just a fun play on men and women thinking themselves gods.
        John 10:34 Jesus answered them, “Has it not been written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? 35 If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?
        "The dead came back from Jerusalem, where they did not find what they were seeking." C.G. Jung, 7 Sermons to the Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystic View Post
          John 10:34 Jesus answered them, “Has it not been written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? 35 If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’?
          2 Corinthians 4:4
          Satan is addressed as "god." Since it is obvious that Satan is a false god, he is addressed as "god" because people who do not honor the true God serve him just as the pagans throughout history serve false idol "gods" made of wood and stone.

Comment

Scripture reveals that all other "so-called gods" are not gods by nature but are false gods (1 Cor. 8:5-6; Gal 4:8)

Comment

JOHN 10:34: “…‘I said you are gods’?”
              Jehovah’s Witnesses often assert that when Jesus pointed to the so-called “gods” of Psalm 82:6, he was somehow aligning Himself with the category of human judges who were called “gods,” rather than claiming to be the one true God Himself. Was Jesus saying that the Pharisees had no right to judge His claim to Deity because other human judges were also called “gods”? No, this is not what He was saying. Let’s examine the context. Immediately following His statement that He is “one” with the Father, the Jews accused Jesus of claiming to be God. This passage reads as follows:
              “…The Jews answered Him, ‘For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.’ Jesus answered them, ‘Has it not been written in your Law, “I said, you are gods”? If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), do you say of Him, whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, “You are blaspheming,” because I said, “I am the Son of God”?….believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in Me, and I in the Father.’ Therefore they were seeking again to seize Him, and He eluded their grasp.”—John 10:32-36, 38-39
              Why did Jesus quote Psalm 82:6 to the Pharisees to support His claims of being God? We know that He was not aligning Himself with the deity claims of these false human judges in Psalm 82:6 because these wicked judges were acting as false “gods” in that context. There is no way that Jesus would put Himself in that category of a false “god” to whom Jehovah proclaimed death and victory over. So, why did Jesus mention them? He was contrasting His Deity claims as the one true God against these false “gods” and the Pharisees who were acting JUST like these wicked judges when they were judging the true Son of God of blasphemy! By contrasting His claims against these false “gods” to whom God’s judgment was pronounced (Psalm 82:7-9), Jesus demonstrated that what these judges claimed in falsehood, He is in reality—the one true God. Listen to how Jesus proclaimed the full nature of His Deity and Oneness with the Father in the following verses:
              JESUS DOES WHATEVER JEHOVAH GOD DOES: “…the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner.” —John 5:19
              WE MUST GIVE JESUS AS MUCH WORSHIP AS WE GIVE JEHOVAH GOD: “…For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son, in order that all may honor the Son, even as they honor the Father, He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.” —John 5:22-23
              SEEING/BELIEVING JESUS IS SEEING/BELIEVING JEHOVAH: “…I and the Father are one. …Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. …Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how do you say, ‘Show us the Father’?” —John 10:30; 14:1, 9
              EVERYTHING JEHOVAH OWNS BELONGS TO JESUS: “…All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said, that He takes of Mine, and will disclose it to you.” —John 16:15
              These verses above are some of the many claims Christ made that convinced His followers that He is indeed the one true Jehovah God. Thus, we see that far from trying to correct the Jews’ so-called “misunderstanding” concerning His Deity claims, He rather affirmed that they understood Him correctly. Therefore, by quoting Psalm 82 where God proclaimed the judgment of “death” upon the wicked false “gods” of ancient times, Jesus at John 10:34 was reminding the Pharisees of the serious consequences of judging Him (the true God) of blasphemy. Indeed, He is both the Son of the ONLY TRUE God (John 17:3) and the only TRUE God Himself as the following Scripture proclaims:
              “…we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.…the eternal life, which was with the Father and was manifested to us.…” —1 John 5:20; 1:2

http://4jehovah.org/jesus-is-god-cha...n-the-trinity/

Comment

This gets insane.

How do you define "god"?

The gods of Ancient Greece were much like us, they weren't omnipresent, nor were they omniscient. In Pompeii, blasphemous graffiti was found painted on walls evidencing this (of course, it seems like they pissed Hephaestus off).

I'm not saying we are all gods, but the idea is one that's hard not to enjoy. Controlling typhoons, making money appear from nothing, getting people drunk on sight. I'd prefer to be a demigod, though. A hero, on a quest to save the world, and stuff. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

We start as a failing college student (not failing, but confused) who wants something out of life that is remarkable. They have million dollar ideas like the rest of us, but this person cashes out on it. They save up and get clothes and mechanical attachments to make them run faster and jump higher. They get jet packs and such. They save up for genetic modification to improve neural processing and blood cell growth, making themselves superhuman.

Maybe they fight crime

They finish college and become a biologist focused on improving the human body and repairing it. From there, they use the immortal jellyfish to figure out cell regeneration, being the first human to fully realize immortality. They then continue pursuing power indefinitely, somehow making themselves beyond human in scope of power and understanding.

No human has ever done something like that. It's on the verge of our abilities to do anything of the sort. While I don't think anyone will accomplish this, it's fun to think about, maybe a fun plot point for a novel.

A false god!

Comment

This gets insane.

How do you define "god"?

Maybe they fight crime

Is that polytheism? That the Bible forbids (Is 43:10; 44:6, 8; 45:21-23)

Comment

Exo 20:3
                    "Worship no god but me."

Comment

1 Cor 8:5-6; Gal 4:8 "so-called gods"
                      1 Cor 8:5-6
                      Even if there are so-called "gods", whether in heaven or on earth, and even though there are many of these "gods" and "lords", yet there is for us only one God, the Father, who is the Creator of all things and for whom we live; and there is only one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things were created and through whom we live.
                      Gal 4:8
                      In the past you did not know God, and so you were slaves of being who are not gods.
                      Not gods by nature but are false gods.
                      Read more: edit thetruth.freeforums edit/threa...#ixzz59CPFerVG
                      Last edited by CARM Admin; 03-08-18, 05:46 PM. Reason: edit link/no forum links permitted

Comment

The Bible tells us that there is only one God in all existence (Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8). However, it also mentions "other gods." For example there is Adrammelech and Anammelech (2 Kings 17:31), Asherah (1 Kings 18:19), Baal (Judges 3:7), Chemosh (Num. 21:29), Dagon (1 Sam. 5:2), Molech (Lev. 18:21; 20:2-5), etc. The Bible is not contradicting itself. When the Bible speaks of other gods it is speaking of false gods that have no true existence. Gal. 4:8 says, "Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods." See also, Isaiah 37:19 and Jeremiah 2:11. God tells us that he alone is the true God and that all of the invented gods of man do not exist except in their own minds. So, we can see that the Bible is not contradicting itself regarding how many gods there are in existence. There is only one.

Note: in the verses in Genesis that have God saying "Let us make..., Let us go down . . . , etc." are clues to the Trinitarian nature of God. God is a Trinity of persons: a Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. There are not three Gods, but one. There are those who insist that the Trinity is polytheistic. But it is not. Trinitarians believe in a single being who is God.

https://carm.org/how-many-gods-are-there-one-or-many
                        Last edited by CARM Admin; 03-08-18, 05:45 PM. Reason: edit embedded links/post now working

Comment

Exodus 34:
                          14 “Do not worship any other god, because I, the Lord, tolerate no rivals. 15 Do not make any treaties with the people of the country, because when they worship their pagan gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you to join them, and you will be tempted to eat the food they offer to their gods. 16 Your sons might marry those foreign women, who would lead them to be unfaithful to me and to worship their pagan gods.

17 “Do not make gods of metal and worship them.

Comment

To a small insect a human being must seem like a god.

Comment

Working...
                            X