Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

How are the unjust raised ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are the unjust raised ?

Does the full preterist have any answer to this ?

Acts 24:15 (KJV)
    15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

Now full preterists sometimes define resurrection as being raised up to heaven - The unjust do not experience this rather their destiny is noted here

Matthew 25:41 (KJV)
    41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

And sometimes they refer to resurrection as a raising up to spiritual life but only the righteous transition to spiritual life from spiritual death when they believe

John 5:24 (KJV)
    24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

So what is left to define the resurrection of the unjust ?

It seems to me Full preterist have a dilemma here

and a true answer to the question has the potential to take a wrecking ball to their entire eschatology

Thus I have seen at least one full preterist stumble when trying to come up with a definition of resurrection which would encompass the unjust
    Last edited by TomL; 07-29-18, 08:17 PM.
    Let God's word speak and everyman be silent

Originally posted by TomL View Post
    Does the full preterist have any answer to this ?

Acts 24:15 (KJV)
    15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

Now full preterists sometimes define resurrection as being raised up to heaven - The unjust do not experience this rather their destiny is noted here

Matthew 25:41 (KJV)
    41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

And sometimes they refer to resurrection as a raising up to spiritual life but only the righteous transition to spiritual life from spiritual death when they believe

John 5:24 (KJV)
    24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

So what is left to define the resurrection of the unjust ?

It seems to me Full preterist have a dilemma here

and a true answer to the question has the potential to take a wrecking ball to their entire eschatology

Thus I have seen at least one full preterist stumble when trying to come up with a definition of resurrection which would encompass the unjust
    Could you explain the dilemma? I'm not quite getting it.

Comment

Originally posted by reformedguy View Post

Could you explain the dilemma? I'm not quite getting it.
      Tom replies

Are you a full preterist ?

Full Preterist deny the resurrection of the body

They need a definition for resurrection that would allow for a resurrection of the unjust

It cannot be stated the unjust receive spiritual life as that is promised to believers only nor can it be stated

they are raised up to heaven. They don't go there.

Comment

Tom replies

Are you a full preterist ?

Full Preterist deny the resurrection of the body

They need a definition for resurrection that would allow for a resurrection of the unjust

It cannot be stated the unjust receive spiritual life as that is promised to believers only nor can it be stated

they are raised up to heaven. They don't go there.
        I think they deny the resurrection body is physical in nature given flesh and blood will not inherit the kingdom of God. As far as being a full Preterist, I have not decided yet. I am partial for sure. Still studying the various views.

Comment

I think they deny the resurrection body is physical in nature given flesh and blood will not inherit the kingdom of God. As far as being a full Preterist, I have not decided yet. I am partial for sure. Still studying the various views.
          Tom replies

I think they try to use that as justification. The fact is a physical resurrection destroys their eschatology

BTW the resurrected Christ was flesh and bones do you think he could be denied access to heaven based on that ?

Luke 24:39 (KJV)
          39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Comment

Tom replies

I think they try to use that as justification. The fact is a physical resurrection destroys their eschatology

BTW the resurrected Christ was flesh and bones do you think he could be denied access to heaven based on that ?

39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

Flesh and bones that went through walls and disappeared at will? Clearly there was something different about it. I would also point out that His flesh and blood was sinless of course and ours is tainted by sin. Christ also said His kingdom was not of this world. It is a spiritual kingdom

Last edited by reformedguy; 08-02-18, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Flesh and bones that went through walls and disappeared at will? Clearly there was something different about it. I would also point out that His flesh and blood was sinless of course and ours is tainted by sin. Christ also said His kingdom was not of this world. It is a spiritual kingdom

Tom replies

Still one cannot rationalize away what scripture plainly states

He was not a spirit and had flesh and bones

Comment

Tom replies

Still one cannot rationalize away what scripture plainly states

He was not a spirit and had flesh and bones

I'm not rationalizing anything. Just pointing out a few things as to why I have not made up my mind. Literal flesh and blood do not simply walk through stone walls or appear and reappear at will. Another point to ponder is the verse you cited is before the ascension. As I said before flesh and blood do not inherit the kingdom of God. There are so many questions. For instance, with your resurrection body at what age do you appear? When your 30, 40, 10? Aging is because of sin. I might be over thinking this a little but that's how I am. What I believe must be logical and consistent

Comment

I'm not rationalizing anything. Just pointing out a few things as to why I have not made up my mind. Literal flesh and blood do not simply walk through stone walls or appear and reappear at will. Another point to ponder is the verse you cited is before the ascension. As I said before flesh and blood do not inherit the kingdom of God. There are so many questions. For instance, with your resurrection body at what age do you appear? When your 30, 40, 10? Aging is because of sin. I might be over thinking this a little but that's how I am. What I believe must be logical and consistent
                  Tom notes

I did not mention you. I specifically stated one. The point being we have a definite statement as to Christ's resurrection nature. It would not be proper interpretation to speculate that he was not resurrected physically because of how one interprets what may have been a supernatural event

Comment

Tom notes

I did not mention you. I specifically stated one. The point being we have a definite statement as to Christ's resurrection nature. It would not be proper interpretation to speculate that he was not resurrected physically because of how one interprets what may have been a supernatural event
                    I have a definitive statement also. The Bible says we are sewn a natural body and raised a spiritual body. It's not as cut and dried as you seem to think it is. Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God but a spiritual can apparently.

Just the same physical bodies do not walk through walls and disappear at will but a spiritual body might.

Comment

I have a definitive statement also. The Bible says we are sewn a natural body and raised a spiritual body. It's not as cut and dried as you seem to think it is. Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God but a spiritual can apparently.

Just the same physical bodies do not walk through walls and disappear at will but a spiritual body might.
                      Tom replies

Now you just need to determine what a spiritual body is

A) From scripture

It is not a body composed of Spirit

1 Corinthians 2:15 (KJV)
                      15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

1 Corinthians 3:1 (KJV)
                      1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

1 Corinthians 10:3 (KJV)
                      3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

1 Corinthians 10:4 (KJV)
                      4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

1 Corinthians 14:37 (KJV)
                      37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

As none of these men were mere Spirit

and spiritual meat and drink refer to the physical manna and water the Israelite partook of in the desert

B) from lexical sources

Complete Word Study Dictionary, The
                      πνευματικός

πνευματικός [See Stg: <G4152>]

pneumatikós; fem. pneumatikḗ, neut. pneumatikón, adj. from pneśma <G4151>, spirit. Spiritual.

(I) Pertaining to the nature of spirits. "A spiritual body" (1 Cor. 15:44) means a body dominated by the Spirit, in contrast to a natural or soulish body (sṓma psuchikón [sṓma <G4983>, body; psuchikón <G5591>, pertaining to soul]) which obeys one's natural instincts or soul. In Eph. 6:12, tį pneumatikį tḗs ponērķas (<G4189>, iniquity) means the evil spirits.

(II) Pertaining to or proceeding from the Holy Spirit, tó pneśma tó hįgion (see pneśma 3, D).

(A) Of persons who are spiritual, enlightened by the Holy Spirit, enjoying the influences, graces, gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 2:13, 15; 3:1; 14:37; Gal. 6:1).

(B) Of things spiritual, communicated or imparted by the Holy Spirit: Rom. 15:27; 1 Cor. 2:13, meaning those things pertaining to the Spirit (tį toś Pneśmatos [as in 2:14]); 1 Cor. 9:11; 12:1; 14:1, the things pertaining to the Spirit; Eph. 1:3; 5:19; Col. 1:9; 3:16, "spiritual songs," meaning those composed in the Spirit on spiritual and instructive subjects. In 1186Rom. 7:14 "the law is spiritual" means it is according to the mind and will of the Spirit. In Rom. 1:11 chįrisma pneumatikón (chįrisma <G5486>, gift), "a spiritual gift," means a gift relating to the mind or spirit of Christians as enlightened and quickened by the Holy Spirit (cf. in 1:12, and see pneśma, III, D, 2, e). Also spoken of things in a higher and spiritual sense, not literal or corporeal, including also a reference to the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 10:3, 4, they ate spiritual food and drank spiritual drink; 1 Pet. 2:5 "a spiritual house").

Deriv.: pneumatikṓs <G4153>, spiritually.

Ant.: phusikós <G5446>, natural, pertaining to or governed by natural instincts; psuchikós <G5591>, soulish, pertaining to or governed by the soul, the lower part of the immaterial natural in man. Both of these words, phusikós and psuchikós, stand in contrast to pneumatikós, spiritual (1 Cor. 2:14; 15:44, 46; James 3:15); sarkikós <G4559>, pertaining to the flesh, carnal; sįrkinos <G4560>, made of flesh.

Comment

Tom replies

Now you just need to determine what a spiritual body is

A) From scripture

It is not a body composed of Spirit

1 Corinthians 2:15 (KJV)
                        15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

1 Corinthians 3:1 (KJV)
                        1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

1 Corinthians 10:3 (KJV)
                        3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat;

1 Corinthians 10:4 (KJV)
                        4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

1 Corinthians 14:37 (KJV)
                        37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

As none of these men were mere Spirit

and spiritual meat and drink refer to the physical manna and water the Israelite partook of in the desert
                        B) from lexical sources

Complete Word Study Dictionary, The
                        πνευματικός

πνευματικός [See Stg: <G4152>]

pneumatikós; fem. pneumatikḗ, neut. pneumatikón, adj. from pneśma <G4151>, spirit. Spiritual.

(I) Pertaining to the nature of spirits. "A spiritual body" (1 Cor. 15:44) means a body dominated by the Spirit, in contrast to a natural or soulish body (sṓma psuchikón [sṓma <G4983>, body; psuchikón <G5591>, pertaining to soul]) which obeys one's natural instincts or soul. In Eph. 6:12, tį pneumatikį tḗs ponērķas (<G4189>, iniquity) means the evil spirits.

(II) Pertaining to or proceeding from the Holy Spirit, tó pneśma tó hįgion (see pneśma 3, D).

(A) Of persons who are spiritual, enlightened by the Holy Spirit, enjoying the influences, graces, gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 2:13, 15; 3:1; 14:37; Gal. 6:1).

(B) Of things spiritual, communicated or imparted by the Holy Spirit: Rom. 15:27; 1 Cor. 2:13, meaning those things pertaining to the Spirit (tį toś Pneśmatos [as in 2:14]); 1 Cor. 9:11; 12:1; 14:1, the things pertaining to the Spirit; Eph. 1:3; 5:19; Col. 1:9; 3:16, "spiritual songs," meaning those composed in the Spirit on spiritual and instructive subjects. In 1186Rom. 7:14 "the law is spiritual" means it is according to the mind and will of the Spirit. In Rom. 1:11 chįrisma pneumatikón (chįrisma <G5486>, gift), "a spiritual gift," means a gift relating to the mind or spirit of Christians as enlightened and quickened by the Holy Spirit (cf. in 1:12, and see pneśma, III, D, 2, e). Also spoken of things in a higher and spiritual sense, not literal or corporeal, including also a reference to the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 10:3, 4, they ate spiritual food and drank spiritual drink; 1 Pet. 2:5 "a spiritual house").

Deriv.: pneumatikṓs <G4153>, spiritually.

Ant.: phusikós <G5446>, natural, pertaining to or governed by natural instincts; psuchikós <G5591>, soulish, pertaining to or governed by the soul, the lower part of the immaterial natural in man. Both of these words, phusikós and psuchikós, stand in contrast to pneumatikós, spiritual (1 Cor. 2:14; 15:44, 46; James 3:15); sarkikós <G4559>, pertaining to the flesh, carnal; sįrkinos <G4560>, made of flesh.
                        All this is nice Tom but extra biblical. The Bible does not define exactly what is meat by a spiritual body. "A body dominated by the Spirit" would seem to indicate then that our spiritual body is different than our physical body then. They are not exactly the same thing which is what I'm saying. 1 Corinthians 15 deals specifically with the resurrection body which I believe points this out. We are raised a spiritual body that can enter heaven of which flesh and dlood cannot inherit.
                        Last edited by reformedguy; 08-06-18, 11:56 AM.

Comment

All this is nice Tom but extra biblical. The Bible does not define exactly what is meat by a spiritual body. "A body dominated by the Spirit" would seem to indicate then that our spiritual body is different than our physical body then. They are not exactly the same thing which is what I'm saying. 1 Corinthians 15 deals specifically with the resurrection body which I believe points this out. We are raised a spiritual body that can enter heaven of which flesh and dlood cannot inherit.
                          Tom replies

Er the scripture verses I quoted were not extra biblical

Please read again

and perhaps think about why you would want to interpret the bible contrary to Christ's express statement that he was not a spirit and the bible promise that we shall be like him

Comment

Tom replies

Er the scripture verses I quoted were not extra biblical

Please read again

and perhaps think about why you would want to interpret the bible contrary to Christ's express statement that he was not a spirit and the bible promise that we shall be like him
                            Lets try to stick to scripture that actually deals with the resurrection in context such as 1 Corinthians 15. That's what im thinking. Scripture ping pong does no one any good. So shall we take a look at it or not?

Your last sentence I will ignore as it is sort of childish to accuse me of such a thing because I don't toe your company line

Comment

Lets try to stick to scripture that actually deals with the resurrection in context such as 1 Corinthians 15. That's what im thinking. Scripture ping pong does no one any good. So shall we take a look at it or not?

Your last sentence I will ignore as it is sort of childish to accuse me of such a thing because I don't toe your company line
                              Tom replies

I quoted scripture showing the use of spiritual

They showed spiritual need not mean composed of spirit

That leaves us with Jesus statement he was not a spirit

and the bibles promise that we shall be like him

Philippians 3:21 (KJV)
                              21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

1 John 3:2 (KJV)
                              2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

its not about my company line but scripture

Comment

Working...
                              X