Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Full Preterism's problem with the 1000 year reign

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Preterism's problem with the 1000 year reign

Full Preterism has a problem with this passage

Revelation 20:1-4 (KJV)
    1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
    2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
    3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
    4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

I will explain below

Full Preterism believes Christ came in 70 A.D. and fulfilled all prophesy.
    The 1000 years must therefore logically have transpired before 70 A.D.

A literal 1000 years reign would place the reign's beginning at no earlier than 930 A.D.

Of course many do not view the 1000 years as literal but symbolic of a very long period of time.
    The problem here is most who hold to a symbolic 1000 years equate it to the entire church age.
    or at least to a very long time larger than a 1000 years

A further complication for Full Preterism is that it holds the second coming was immediately after the tribulation
    so the 1000 year reign logically must be before the tribulation as well

but the 1000 years in addition to being a period where Satan is bound is also a period where those who were beheaded
    for their testimony of Christ and not worshipping the beast during the tribulation live and reign with Christ

How can you have tribulation martyrs living and reigning when there was of yet no tribulation and therefore no tribulation Martyrs

The difficulties faced by full preterist were in evidence in a pair of discussions I had with Full Preterists regarding this matter

One full preterist noting mention of a first and second resurrection separated by the 1000 year period and referencing
    the fact the resurrection was on the last day

John 6:39 (KJV)
    39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

John 6:40 (KJV)
    40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:44 (KJV)
    44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:54 (KJV)
    54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 12:48 (KJV)
    48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

claimed the 1000 year period was really but one day or a part thereof

Is this the impression one gets from the mention of a 1000 year period ?

Hardly

Another Full Preterist I dialogued with affirmed

Yes the 1000 years are before the tribulation but also The 1000 year period encompasses the entire church age and that we are still in the 1000 year period

How the 1000 year period could be ongoing today and before the tribulation in a belief system where the tribulation is stated to have transpired around 70 A.D.
    is never logically explained

Let God's word speak and everyman be silent

Tom adds

Update said second preterist has clarified position and does not hold to the entire church age to be the period in which Satan is bound but rather claims Satan was bound until the fifth seal.

The upshot is said preterist must cram the 1000 years into a period that is roughly between 30 and 67 A.D. or less than 40 years

This more typically what is claimed by Full Preterists

so I will ask the readers to determine for themselves is that what you would imagine the inspired author was trying to convey with the phrase a 1000 years

An interesting corollary to this is said preterist believes the right to reign a 1000 years with Christ (the period in which Satan is bound); is granted to all believers and quotes

1 Peter 2:5-9 (NASB)
    5 you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
    6 For this is contained in Scripture: "BEHOLD, I LAY IN ZION A CHOICE STONE, A PRECIOUS CORNER stone, AND HE WHO BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED."
    7 This precious value, then, is for you who believe; but for those who disbelieve, "THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED, THIS BECAME THE VERY CORNER stone,"
    8 and, "A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE"; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed.
    9 But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God's OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

as a proof text

Are we to understand believers are a royal priesthood, a chosen race , living stones only between the years of 30 and 67 A.D. ?

I guess the believers of the first century lost their right to reign and be a chosen nation after 36 years or so and those born after 67 A.D. never are granted that right at all ?

or are we to believe that 1000 years is of a different value than the 1000 years Satan is bound

Such are the vagaries of Full Preterism
    Last edited by TomL; 08-07-18, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TomL View Post
      Tom adds

Update said second preterist has clarified position and does not hold to the entire church age to be the period in which Satan is bound but rather claims Satan was bound until the fifth seal.

The upshot is said preterist must cram the 1000 years into a period that is roughly between 30 and 67 A.D. or less than 40 years

This more typically what is claimed by Full Preterists

so I will ask the readers to determine for themselves is that what you would imagine the inspired author was trying to convey with the phrase a 1000 years

An interesting corollary to this is said preterist believes the right to reign a 1000 years with Christ (the period in which Satan is bound); is granted to all believers and quotes

1 Peter 2:5-9 (NASB)
      5 you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
      6 For this is contained in Scripture: "BEHOLD, I LAY IN ZION A CHOICE STONE, A PRECIOUS CORNER stone, AND HE WHO BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED."
      7 This precious value, then, is for you who believe; but for those who disbelieve, "THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED, THIS BECAME THE VERY CORNER stone,"
      8 and, "A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE"; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed.
      9 But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal PRIESTHOOD, A HOLY NATION, A PEOPLE FOR God's OWN POSSESSION, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;

as a proof text

Are we to understand believers are a royal priesthood, a chosen race , living stones only between the years of 30 and 67 A.D. ?

I guess the believers of the first century lost their right to reign and be a chosen nation after 36 years or so and those born after 67 A.D. never are granted that right at all ?

or are we to believe that 1000 years is of a different value than the 1000 years Satan is bound

Such are the vagaries of Full Preterism
      Here is the first resurrection:
      1 COR 15

23 But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christís at His coming,

That is the first resurrection after the rise of Christ Himself.... at the coming. The second resurrection is 1000 years after that.

Rev 20
      5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed.

So the first resurrection contained this people indicated in Rev 20:4 , those who were killed for testimony of Jesus and resisted the breast. They were all righteous, no wicked people in in.

Matthew 25:31 to 46 tells us of another resurrection which DOES have wicked in it and that resurrection is pegged at being at the coming also... the same day. The same day or last day is indicated in John 6:40 and John 12:48. The bible speaks of 1000 years to God being one day so no problem. Having said that there is indications that Jesus had destroyed death earlier than 70 AD so some feel the resurrection may have began for a special few earlier than 70 AD You would have to ask them for details.

Daniel 12: also talks about resurrection close to the great trib which is fine tuned for us in Daniel 12:13 at being at the end of that age. Of course the end of the age is here:
      1 Corinthians 10:11 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
      11 Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

My guess at the symbolism and a guess is all anybody ha got, is that there are two time factors described in Rev 20:4 and 6. One is the time BETWEEN the two resurrections which I say is one day and there is the time each resurrecttee will reign will with Jesus and I say that is forever.

Whether that is right or not couldn't matter less because the whole thing was over 2000 years ago anyway!

noble

Comment

Tom replies

Noble highlights the full Preterist problem with the 1000 years

According to Noble it is less than a whole day as he tries to squeeze the first resurrection, the 1000 years and the second resurrection
        into the last day

So I guess when the bible states god owns the cattle on a 1000 hills he rreally own the cattle on just a single hill

and when we are told God keeps covenant and mercy for a 1000 generations he really only does so for a single generation

absurdity upon absurdity

and while he alludes to Daniel 12 it does not speak of two separate resurrections nor does the verse actually state what Noble claims

what it does do is announce the ultimate destiny of those who are and are not written in the book at the resurrection

In any case all who believe or will ever believe are raised at the last day

so the last cannot have been at 70 A.D.

Comment

TomL;

Here is the post Tom, deal with what is written in that.... you can explain what the verse should say

1 COR 15

23 But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christís at His coming,

That is the first resurrection after the rise of Christ Himself.... at the coming. The second resurrection is 1000 years after that.

Rev 20
          5 The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed.

So the first resurrection contained this people indicated in Rev 20:4 , those who were killed for testimony of Jesus and resisted the breast. They were all righteous, no wicked people in in.

Matthew 25:31 to 46 tells us of another resurrection which DOES have wicked in it and that resurrection is pegged at being at the coming also... the same day. The same day or last day is indicated in John 6:40 and John 12:48. The bible speaks of 1000 years to God being one day so no problem. Having said that there is indications that Jesus had destroyed death earlier than 70 AD so some feel the resurrection may have began for a special few earlier than 70 AD You would have to ask them for details.

Daniel 12: also talks about resurrection close to the great trib which is fine tuned for us in Daniel 12:13 at being at the end of that age. Of course the end of the age is here:
          11 Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

My guess at the symbolism and a guess is all anybody ha got, is that there are two time factors described in Rev 20:4 and 6. One is the time BETWEEN the two resurrections which I say is one day and there is the time each resurrecttee will reign will with Jesus and I say that is forever.

Whether that is right or not couldn't matter less because the whole thing was over 2000 years ago anyway!

noble

Comment

Originally posted by noble View Post
            TomL;

Here is the post Tom, deal with what is written in that.... you can explain what the verse should say

1 COR 15

23 But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ’s at His coming,

Rev 20

noble
            Tom replies

You already posted that elsewhere

Stick to the op

Tom replies

Noble highlights the full Preterist problem with the 1000 years

According to Noble it is less than a whole day as he tries to squeeze the first resurrection, the 1000 years and the second resurrection
            into the last day

So I guess when the bible states god owns the cattle on a 1000 hills he rreally own the cattle on just a single hill

and when we are told God keeps covenant and mercy for a 1000 generations he really only does so for a single generation

absurdity upon absurdity

and while he alludes to Daniel 12 it does not speak of two separate resurrections nor does the verse actually state what Noble claims

what it does do is announce the ultimate destiny of those who are and are not written in the book at the resurrection

Comment

TomL;

I explained how I see the resurrections/1000 years a s a full preterist but I guess you missed it so here it is again...

1 COR 15

Rev 20

You already posted that elsewhere
              Oh you saw it? Well then why not respond to it?

Stick to the op
              You mean the one about the 1000 years? That's what I did....

into the last day
              Yea, yea, you got it!

That guess is as good as any.... but actually He doesn't like cows , he is more into lama , sheep and goats.

Another guess.. except this one contradicts scripture.
              There is no wonder you don't understand heavenly things. Daniel is talking about righteous and wicked being raised which is only ONE of the resurrections, the second one! It takes time to learn Tom, even longer when you refuse to listen.

Okay.... that would be righteous and wicked wouldn't it?

You have missed the point by x miles.

The DEAD who are resurrected are all people who physically died BEFORE the last trump. Since that last trump there is no need for any resurrections because nobody ever sleeps waiting for a resurrection after that last trump. From then on no righteou person ever dies so there is no need of a resurrection. There is a judgment after death which will determine instantly whether we make the cut or we don't.

So Tom there is no future resurrections of the dead , they were boh 2000 years ago. You, me and all others face the judgment seat of Christ after our death.

noble

Comment

Tom replies

I don't need your repetitions Noble

The bottomline is you define the period known as the 1000 years as less than a single day

So I guess you believe the Martyrs reward for not worshipping the beast and giving up their lives is less than one day of reigning with Christ

and Satan was stopped from deceiving the nations for but part of a single day

Clearly you demonstrate the full preterist's problem with the 1000 years

Comment

TomL;

I don't need your repetitions Noble
                  Yes Tom you do. In fact in most posts you don't retain a thing....we have to give it to you over and over and over and .....

The bottomline is you define the period known as the 1000 years as less than a single day
                  That is how I see the symbolism yes. The same last day. Let's go thru it briefly again....

1 COR 15:23 tells us the first resurrection is at the coming. That first resurrection has only righteous in it. SO John 6:40 tells us righteous are raised the last day. However there are a lot more righteous people who died prior to the last trump than just those of Rev 20:4 and 6. Daniel was a righteous guy and he was raised to eternal life at the end of the age which is somehow close to the great tribulation.SO there are righteous in that resurrection to so that means they would have been raised the last day. As Matt 25:31 tells us that was sometime near the coming..... same day!!!!!!!!
                  There was also wicked raised at the end of the age as Daniel was... again same day..

So I guess you believe the Martyrs reward for not worshipping the beast and giving up their lives is less than one day of reigning with Christ
                  No, as I told you that would be symbolic for ...forever! I told you , I see the symbolism for the 1000 years referring to two things, one - the time between the resurrections, two the length of the reign. 2 Peter 3:8 makes each possible.
                  and Satan was stopped from deceiving the nations for but part of a single day
                  Yes and he did something for a short while and then got abyssed for good...Satan is gone but the evil he had with him will stay on earth forever... you just will never see any talking snakes.

]
                  Clearly you demonstrate the full preterist's problem with the 1000 years
                  Bet you another 6 doughnut holes you can't put a biblical hole in the explanation... please try, I want to know if there is anything biblical that contradicts me.In case you didn't know , believing what the bible DOESN'T say benefits you nothing!

noble

Comment

Tom replies

Sorry you cant escape it Noble

You have Satan bound for less than a single day

A 1000 year binding reduced to less than a day

It's rather irrational Noble

I guess you also believe that when the bible states God keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations you believe it is but one generation ?

That we owns the cattle not on a thousand hills but one hill ?

He remembers his word but for one generation ?

Rev 20 shows us the Martyrs reign is coterminous with the binding of Satan

So you have a one day reign despite your protests

It's rather obvious you have a major problem with the 1000 years

Comment

TomL;
                      Sorry you cant escape it Noble
                      I could escape my belief system easy. All I need is a reason to believe differently than I do now. I'm not dumb, I know that believing what the bible DOES NOT say is dumber than a sack full of hammers.

You have Satan bound for less than a single day

A 1000 year binding reduced to less than a day
                      And he needed it too!

I guess you also believe that when the bible states God keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations you believe it is but one generation ?
                      I think you better quit guessing , you're off track pretty bad.

That we owns the cattle not on a thousand hills but one hill ?
                      He can have as many cattle as He wants.

He remembers his word but for one generation ?
                      Let me point out just how ridiculous that is....The events of Matt 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21 will be seen by ONE generation. Jesus will return to ..John 14... that is all generations all believers for all time... YOU have to get a grip on what the bible is talking about.... nice little Catholic bible study?????

Not only is it coterminous, it's at the same time too!!!!!

So you have a one day reign despite your protests
                      The reign with Jesus is forever. The time between the resurrections is one day.

It's rather obvious you have a major problem with the 1000 years
                      You find a problem because it doesn't fit your doctrine.... don't be surprised by that.

noble

Comment

Previous conversation went

Noble states

Tom replies

There you have it readers

Noble believes the Martyr reign for but part of a single day

We already know he believes Satan was bound for but a part of a single day

There is no need to say anything further

Comment

TomL

Noble states

Tom replies

Whoops... Satan was ... well here is from John...

3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that,
                          he must be set free for a short time.
                          So after the symbolic 1000 years Satan would be abyssed again... anybody who has ever been abyssed would know how hindering it is!!!

We already know he believes Satan was bound for but a part of a single day
                          Yes, then let go and then done in for good... the sulfur lake wasn't it?

There is no need to say anything further
                          Ah, yes there is a God...thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noble

Comment

Originally posted by noble View Post
                            TomL

Noble states
                            [LEFT][COLOR=#252C2F][FONT=Helvetica]Not only is it coterminous, it's at the same time too!!!!!

Tom replies

Whoops... Satan was ... well here is from John...

3 He threw him into the Abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended. After that,

So after the symbolic 1000 years Satan would be abyssed again... anybody who has ever been abyssed would know how hindering it is!!!

Yes, then let go and then done in for good... the sulfur lake wasn't it?

Ah, yes there is a God...thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom replies

If you are happy with the confession

I am happy to let you live with it

Comment

Originally posted by TomL View Post

Tom replies

If you are happy with the confession

I am happy to let you live with it

Boy you sure have trouble grasping stuff.... the martyrs reign with Christ forever, just as all of us who believe will do. However, Satan was abyssed only during the time between the two resurrections... know how I know????

7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison 8 and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earthóGog and Magogóand to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. 9 They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded the camp of Godís people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them

noble

Comment

Working...
                              X