Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Calvin's Institutes and Full Preterism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calvin's Institutes and Full Preterism

An online article challenges those who think Calvinism compatible with Hyper Preterism

https://media.reformed.info/john-cal...ull-preterism/

3. Here we must guard against the diabolical imagination of Servetus, who, from a wish, or at least the pretence of a wish, to extol the greatness of Christ, abolishes the promises entirely, as if they had come to an end at the same time with the Law. He pretends, that by the faith of the Gospel all the promises have been fulfilled; as if there was no distinction between us and Christ. I lately observed that Christ had not left any part of our salvation incomplete; but from this it is erroneously inferred, that we are now put in possession of all the blessings purchased by him; thereby implying, that Paul was incorrect in saying, We are saved by hope, (Rom 3:24). I admit, indeed, that by believing in Christ we pass from death unto life; but we must at the same time remember the words of John, that though we know we are the sons of God, it does not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is, (1 John 3:2). Therefore, although Christ offers us in the Gospel a present fulness of spiritual blessings, fruition remains in the keeping of hope, until we are divested of corruptible flesh, and transformed into the glory of him who has gone before us. Meanwhile, in leaning on the promises, we obey the command of the Holy Spirit, whose authority ought to have weight enough with us to silence all the barkings of that impure dog. We have it on the testimony of Paul, that Godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come, (1 Tim 4:8); for which reason, he glories in being an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus (2 Tim 1:1). And he elsewhere reminds us, that we have the same promises which were given to the saints in ancient time (2 Cor 7:1). In fine, he makes the sum of our felicity consist in being sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise. Indeed we have no enjoyment of Christ, unless by embracing him as clothed with his own promises. Hence it is that he indeed dwells in our hearts and yet we are as pilgrims in regard to him, because we walk by faith, not by sight, (2 Cor 5:6, 7). There is no inconsistency in the two thingsviz. that in Christ we possess every thing pertaining to the perfection of the heavenly life, and yet that faith is only a vision of things not seen, (Heb 11:1). Only there is this difference to be observed in the nature or quality of the promises, that the Gospel points with the finger to what the Law shadowed under types.

Institutes of the Christian Religion.Book 2 ch 9

Look for Calvinist input
    Let God's word speak and everyman be silent

I've dealt with some hyper-preterism in the past, particularly at one point, their usage of Spurgeon to support their view. It doesn't surprise me that they're using Calvin. Do you have some examples of their use of Calvin? I would like to see which contexts they think supports their view.

Comment

Originally posted by James Swan View Post
      I've dealt with some hyper-preterism in the past, particularly at one point, their usage of Spurgeon to support their view. It doesn't surprise me that they're using Calvin. Do you have some examples of their use of Calvin? I would like to see which contexts they think supports their view.
      I would think it is also important to define hyper-Preterism.

Comment

Originally posted by James Swan View Post
        Tom notes

The article simply states

Those who think Calvinism and hyper (full) preterism are compatible reveal their complete ignorance of Calvin. Those who think Calvin would have been open to the new developments of hyperpreterists reveal their complete ignorance of Calvin and what he actually DID confront in his own day.

Some Calvinistic Full preterists - Sam Frost come to mind later rejected Full Preterism

Rejection of Historic creeds was one reason he left Full Preterism

Comment

Originally posted by reformedguy View Post

I would think it is also important to define hyper-Preterism.
          Tom notes

Basically Hyper Preterism is Full Preterism in distinction from those who may be partial preterists

Comment

Originally posted by TomL View Post

Tom notes

Basically Hyper Preterism is Full Preterism in distinction from those who may be partial preterists
            That's not really defining what you consider a hyper-preterist. Full Preterist would deny being hyper-preterist

Comment

That's not really defining what you consider a hyper-preterist. Full Preterist would deny being hyper-preterist
              Tom replies

Its not my definition

Full and hyper all refer to the same thing

Read the article

Full Preterism refers to a belief all prophesy was fulfilled by 70 A.D.

I think you know that
              Last edited by TomL; 09-11-18, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Tom replies

Its not my definition

Read the article

I think you know that
                Full and hyper are not the same thing. Apparently you don't know that

Comment

Full and hyper are not the same thing. Apparently you don't know that
                  Tom replies

The author of the article disagrees with you

Just like Wikipedia
                  Full preterism

Full preterism differs from partial preterism in that full preterists believe that the destruction of Jerusalem fulfilled all eschatological or "end times" events, including the resurrection of the dead and Jesus' Second Coming, or Parousia, and the Final Judgment.[40][page needed] Other names of full preterism include:
                  • preterism (because the term itself means "past")
                  • consistent preterism
                  • true preterism
                  • hyper-preterism (a pejorative term used by opponents of preterists)
                  • pantelism. (The term "pantelism" comes from two Greek roots: (pan), "everything", and - (tel-), referring to completion).
                  • Covenant Eschatology
                  • Fulfilled Eschatology[41]

You will have to deal with them

Comment

Tom replies

The author of the article disagrees with you

Just like Wikipedia
                    Full preterism

Full preterism differs from partial preterism in that full preterists believe that the destruction of Jerusalem fulfilled all eschatological or "end times" events, including the resurrection of the dead and Jesus' Second Coming, or Parousia, and the Final Judgment.[40][page needed] Other names of full preterism include:
                    • preterism (because the term itself means "past")
                    • consistent preterism
                    • true preterism
                    • hyper-preterism (a pejorative term used by opponents of preterists)
                    • pantelism. (The term "pantelism" comes from two Greek roots: (pan), "everything", and - (tel-), referring to completion).
                    • Covenant Eschatology
                    • Fulfilled Eschatology[41]

You will have to deal with them
                    I don't care about the author. Full preterism is not hyper-preteristm.

Comment

I don't care about the author. Full preterism is not hyper-preteristm.
                      Tom replies

Well the author of the article believes what he stated applies to full Preterism

as he argues against the idea all prophesy had been fulfilled by 70 A.D.

Again read the article

Comment

Tom replies

Its not my definition

Read the article

I think you know that
                        And full preterism is not hyper-preteristm. There are several things a hyper-preterist believes a full-preterist does not such as universalism.

Comment

And full preterism is not hyper-preteristm. There are several things a hyper-preterist believes a full-preterist does not such as universalism.
                          Tom replies

Some do make that distinctions others apparently don't

See previous comments

I have even seen where an author denies hyper Preterism includes universalism

Again, neither full preterism nor hyperpreterism is universalism. First of all, a hyperpreterist could not be a universalist because, according to the hyperpreterists, no one after AD 70 has eternal life. This view clearly denies universalism. After all, universalism says that all men everywhere throughout all time have or will have eternal life through any path they take.

In any case as noted

the author of the article believes what he stated applies to full Preterism

Comment

Tom replies

Some do make that distinctions others apparently don't

See previous comments

I have even seen where an author denies hyper Preterism includes universalism

Again, neither full preterism nor hyperpreterism is universalism. First of all, a hyperpreterist could not be a universalist because, according to the hyperpreterists, no one after AD 70 has eternal life. This view clearly denies universalism. After all, universalism says that all men everywhere throughout all time have or will have eternal life through any path they take.

In any case as noted

the author of the article believes what he stated applies to full Preterism

Actually it teaches everyone is saved because sin was done away with. Point being there are major points of difference between full and hyper despite your vain attempts to lump the two together.

Comment

Actually it teaches everyone is saved because sin was done away with. Point being there are major points of difference between full and hyper despite your vain attempts to lump the two together.
                              Tom replies

That is not what the article states

Again, neither full preterism nor hyperpreterism is universalism. First of all, a hyperpreterist could not be a universalist because, according to the hyperpreterists, no one after AD 70 has eternal life. This view clearly denies universalism. After all, universalism says that all men everywhere throughout all time have or will have eternal life through any path they take

As noted there are various views on this issue

and again it was the author who linked them not me

Those who think Calvinism and hyper (full) preterism are compatible reveal their complete ignorance of Calvin.
                              For a guy who claims to be undecided why do you show so much concern

However if you want to erase hyper from his words I am ok with it

Those who think Calvinism and full preterism are compatible reveal their complete ignorance of Calvin.

Tell me being reformed do you view the creeds as a standard of unity ?

If so which ones ?

Comment

Working...
                              X