Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Calvin's Institutes and Full Preterism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reformedguy View Post
    And full preterism is not hyper-preteristm. There are several things a hyper-preterist believes a full-preterist does not such as universalism.
    I would agree that the terms are not interchangeable. Both though are heretical, the later being more severe than the former. I had a friend involved with full preterism a few years ago. There was not any sort of consistent theological grid for those embracing "full preterism." Some of his friends were universalists, some simply denied eternal punishment, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by James Swan View Post

I would agree that the terms are not interchangeable. Both though are heretical, the later being more severe than the former. I had a friend involved with full preterism a few years ago. There was not any sort of consistent theological grid for those embracing "full preterism." Some of his friends were universalists, some simply denied eternal punishment, etc.
      ok I guess it is all a matter of perspective. Previously the information I had seen equated the two and from a partial preterist perspective that would make sense. As there has been movement in the position other ideas have come forth even more radical and from the original full perspective hyper Preterism.
      Thanks for posting

Let God's word speak and everyman be silent

Comment

Originally posted by TomL View Post

Tom replies

That is not what the article states

Again, neither full preterism nor hyperpreterism is universalism. First of all, a hyperpreterist could not be a universalist because, according to the hyperpreterists, no one after AD 70 has eternal life. This view clearly denies universalism. After all, universalism says that all men everywhere throughout all time have or will have eternal life through any path they take

As noted there are various views on this issue

and again it was the author who linked them not me

For a guy who claims to be undecided why do you show so much concern

However if you want to erase hyper from his words I am ok with it

Those who think Calvinism and full preterism are compatible reveal their complete ignorance of Calvin.

Tell me being reformed do you view the creeds as a standard of unity ?

If so which ones ?
        Why do you assume this article has any authority whatsoever? It's one man's opinion.

They can be a standard of unity, of course. Does that mean one must walk in lockstep with every jot and tittle of any particular creed? Your not judging ones salvation on conformity to any particular creed are you Tom? This is why we Reformed are often charged with putting our creeds above scripture.

Comment

Why do you assume this article has any authority whatsoever? It's one man's opinion.

They can be a standard of unity, of course. Does that mean one must walk in lockstep with every jot and tittle of any particular creed? Your not judging ones salvation on conformity to any particular creed are you Tom? This is why we Reformed are often charged with putting our creeds above scripture.
          Tom replies

So being reformed I should consider his opinion worthless ?

In any case it was a discussion starter

As for the creeds we are talking a whole lot more than a jot or a title

I have not mentioned salvation

I mentioned a standard of unity among the reformed

Do you hold to the creeds ?

Which ones ?

Comment

Tom replies

So being reformed I should consider his opinion worthless ?

In any case it was a discussion starter

As for the creeds we are talking a whole lot more than a jot or a title

I have not mentioned salvation

I mentioned a standard of unity among the reformed

Do you hold to the creeds ?

Which ones ?

I didn't say worthless did I? It's one of how many?

Westminster, Belgic, basically the three forms of unity. Do I agree with everything in those confessions? Nope. A confession is a summary not a standard by which to judge.

Comment

I didn't say worthless did I? It's one of how many?

Westminster, Belgic, basically the three forms of unity. Do I agree with everything in those confessions? Nope. A confession is a summary not a standard by which to judge.
              Tom replies

Lets start with the Westminster

Observe some parts which Full Preterist are not in accord with

I. Our first parents, begin seduced by the subtilty and temptations of Satan, sinned in eating the forbidden fruit. This their sin God was pleased, according to his wise and holy counsel, to permit, having purposed to order it to his own glory.

II. By this sin they fell from their original righteousness and communion with God, and so became dead in sin, and wholly defiled in all the faculties and parts of soul and body.

VI. Every sin, both original and actual, being a transgression of the righteous law of God, and contrary thereunto, doth, in its own nature, bring guilt upon the sinner, whereby he is bound over to the wrath of God, and curse of the law, and so made subject to death, with all miseries spiritual, temporal, and eternal.

Westminster Confession of Faith (1646).

II. At the last day, such as are found alive shall not die, but be changed: and all the dead shall be raised up with the self-same bodies, and none other, although with different qualities, which shall be united again to their souls forever.

III. The bodies of the unjust shall, by the power of Christ, be raised to dishonor; the bodies of the just, by his Spirit, unto honor, and be made conformable to his own glorious body.

On the third day he arose from the dead, with the same body in which he suffered; with which also he ascended into heaven, and there sitteth at the right hand of his Father, making intercession; and shall return to judge men and angels, at the end of the world.

I. God hath appointed a day, wherein he will judge the world in righteousness by Jesus Christ, to whom all power and judgment is given of the Father. In which day, not only the apostate angels shall be judged; but likewise all persons, that have lived upon earth, shall appear before the tribunal of Christ, to give an account of their thoughts, words, and deeds; and to receive according to what they have done in the body, whether good or evil.

Comment

Tom replies

Lets start with the Westminster

Observe some parts which Full Preterist are not in accord with

I. Our first parents, begin seduced by the subtilty and temptations of Satan, sinned in eating the forbidden fruit. This their sin God was pleased, according to his wise and holy counsel, to permit, having purposed to order it to his own glory.

II. By this sin they fell from their original righteousness and communion with God, and so became dead in sin, and wholly defiled in all the faculties and parts of soul and body.

VI. Every sin, both original and actual, being a transgression of the righteous law of God, and contrary thereunto, doth, in its own nature, bring guilt upon the sinner, whereby he is bound over to the wrath of God, and curse of the law, and so made subject to death, with all miseries spiritual, temporal, and eternal.

II. At the last day, such as are found alive shall not die, but be changed: and all the dead shall be raised up with the self-same bodies, and none other, although with different qualities, which shall be united again to their souls forever.

III. The bodies of the unjust shall, by the power of Christ, be raised to dishonor; the bodies of the just, by his Spirit, unto honor, and be made conformable to his own glorious body.

On the third day he arose from the dead, with the same body in which he suffered; with which also he ascended into heaven, and there sitteth at the right hand of his Father, making intercession; and shall return to judge men and angels, at the end of the world.

I. God hath appointed a day, wherein he will judge the world in righteousness by Jesus Christ, to whom all power and judgment is given of the Father. In which day, not only the apostate angels shall be judged; but likewise all persons, that have lived upon earth, shall appear before the tribunal of Christ, to give an account of their thoughts, words, and deeds; and to receive according to what they have done in the body, whether good or evil.

Yes and? So what. What's your view of the LBCF and it's differences with the WCF? Are Reformed Baptists heretics?

Comment

Yes and? So what. What's your view of the LBCF and it's differences with the WCF? Are Reformed Baptists heretics?
                  Tom replies

So what ? Those are the standards of unity among the reformed

Full Preterism obviously does not meet the standards

The reformed Baptist don't deny any of what I noted

LBCF ? Long beach Christian fellowship Don't know a thing about them.

Are they the same as the Long Beach Christian Reformed Church ?

Are they pertinent to the discussion ?

Comment

Tom replies

So what ? Those are the standards of unity among the reformed

Full Preterism obviously does not meet the standards

The reformed Baptist don't deny any of what I noted

LBCF ? Long beach Christian fellowship Don't know a thing about them.

Are they the same as the Long Beach Christian Reformed Church ?

Are they pertinent to the discussion ?
                    London Baptist Confession of Faith, lol. Ignorance is bliss they say.

So your judging orthodoxy based on a confession of faith?

Comment

London Baptist Confession of Faith, lol. Ignorance is bliss they say.

So your judging orthodoxy based on a confession of faith?
                      Tom replies

No I am judging a standard of unity among those who say they are reformed

as claimed by the reformed church itself

BTW you would not be claiming the London Baptist confession of faith disavows
                      the items I noted would you ?

PS I looked at the confession (1689) and it seems a pretty standard Calvinist doctrine at first glance

certainly nothing like what Full Preterists believe

So why do you mention them ?
                      Last edited by TomL; 09-17-18, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Tom replies

No I am judging a standard of unity among those who say they are reformed

as claimed by the reformed church itself

BTW you would not be claiming the London Baptist confession of faith disavows
                        the items I noted would you ?
                        They do claimed to be Reformed and disavow infant baptism those who adhere to the LBCF. Uh oh! What say you heresy hunter? Are they Reformed really?

Comment

They do claimed to be Reformed and disavow infant baptism those who adhere to the LBCF. Uh oh! What say you heresy hunter? Are they Reformed really?
                          Tom replies

Once again I need remind you it is a standard of unity among the reformed which is being addressed here

not a matter of heresy

and I am not reformed so I would not automatically view non conformity to a reformed creed especially on the matter of baptism a heresy

Seems to me however they certainly are in more conformity to say the Westminster creed than are full Preterists

And remember it is the Westminster creed you cited as a standard of unity not the London Baptist confession of faith

Comment

[QUOTE=TomL;n5505241]

Tom replies

Once again I need remind you it is a standard of unity among the reformed which is being addressed here

not a matter of heresy

and I am not reformed so I would not automatically view non conformity to a reformed creed especially on the matter of baptism a heresy

Seems to me however they certainly are in more conformity to say the Westminster creed than are full Preterists

And remember it is the Westminster creed you cited as a standard of unity not the London Baptist confession of faith

The LBCF and the WCF are virtually identical, baptism being one of the differences. So on most issues we would be unified. On the topic of baptism we would not.

So if your not Reformed what are you? Let's hear the denomination that all agree 100% of the time. Totally unified on every and all issues.

Comment

[QUOTE=reformedguy;n5510809]

Tom replies

not a matter of heresy

The LBCF and the WCF are virtually identical, baptism being one of the differences. So on most issues we would be unified. On the topic of baptism we would not.

So if your not Reformed what are you? Let's hear the denomination that all agree 100% of the time. Totally unified on every and all issues.
                              Tom replies

No denomination agrees 100 % of the time but you are missing the point, These are not mere peripheral issues we are talking about

Full Preterism rejects essentials accepted by every Christian denomination. It is not just a matter of eschatology for to maintain its eschatology Full

Preterism compromises other doctrines such as the future return of Christ, the resurrection, the universal Judgment, the nature of the fall, the full redemption that is in Christ and his final victory over all enemies

Why trivialize the differences ?

Comparing the WCF and the LBCF does not come anywhere near such disagreements

Comment

[QUOTE=TomL;n5511819]

Tom replies

No denomination agrees 100 % of the time but you are missing the point, These are not mere peripheral issues we are talking about

Full Preterism rejects essentials accepted by every Christian denomination. It is not just a matter of eschatology for to maintain its eschatology Full

Preterism compromises other doctrines such as the future return of Christ, the resurrection, the universal Judgment, the nature of the fall, the full redemption that is in Christ and his final victory over all enemies

Why trivialize the differences ?

Comparing the WCF and the LBCF does not come anywhere near such disagreements

They dont? Lol Really?

Full Preterist believe in the fall, the resurrection, universal judgement, full redemption, the return of Christ when He said He would return. I think you have some homework to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X