Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Law, sin, and Death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law, sin, and Death

Romans 5:12-21 (KJV)
    12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
    13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
    14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
    15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
    16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
    17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
    18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
    19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
    20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
    21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

The bible is clear death is a result of sin and sin exists only when law exist;

Sin being a violation of law

Full Preterist however claim God's natural plan for man was death

How could this be ?

Had Adam been born with sin ?

Had he violated a law before any law existed

Was he born a sinner under condemnation of death for a sin he had yet committed ?

Let God's word speak and everyman be silent

Originally posted by TomL View Post
    12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
    13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
    14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
    15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
    16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
    17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
    18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
    19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
    20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
    21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

How could this be ?

Was he born a sinner under condemnation of death for a sin he had yet committed ?

Full preterist would have you to believe

that physical death is not in view

They would have you to believe physical death is natural and was always God's plain for man

This overlooks the fact atonement covering for sin always requires physical death - blood atonement

When they first sinned Adam and Eve sought to cover themselves with a fig leaf

Genesis 3:7 (KJV)
    7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

This was an attempt to cover their sin.

It was insufficient

Genesis 3:11-21 (KJV)
    11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
    12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
    13 And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.
    14 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
    15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
    16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
    17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
    18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
    19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
    20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
    21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

God had to make coats of animal sin to cover them. An animal life would be forfeited to cover their sin

Here we have the introduction of substitutionary atonement

The next development in this concept is seen here

Exodus 29:36 (KJV)
    36 And thou shalt offer every day a bullock for a sin offering for atonement: and thou shalt cleanse the altar, when thou hast made an atonement for it, and thou shalt anoint it, to sanctify it.

Leviticus 4:20 (KJV)
    20 And he shall do with the bullock as he did with the bullock for a sin offering, so shall he do with this: and the priest shall make an atonement for them, and it shall be forgiven them.

Hebrews 9:21-22 (KJV)
    21 Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry.
    22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

An animal must be sacrificed to make atonement for sin

Death was required

Ultimately animal sacrifice was insufficient and had to ne continually made until the perfect sacrifice was provided

The sacrifice of the son of God

The Lord Jesus Christ

Hebrews 10:1-13 (KJV)
    1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
    2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
    3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
    4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
    5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
    6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
    7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
    8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
    9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
    10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
    11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
    12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
    13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.

Hebrews 9:12-15 (KJV)
    12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
    13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
    14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
    15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Romans 5:6-11 (KJV)
    6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
    7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
    8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
    9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
    10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
    11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

If physical death is not a consequence of sin why did Christ have to die to pay our sin death

Comment

How could this be ?

It's called God isomniscient.

Comment

Originally posted by reformedguy View Post

It's called God isomniscient.
        Tom replies

The important question is

so is physical death the result of sin ?

Comment

Tom replies

The important question is

so is physical death the result of sin ?
          Some say yes, some say no.

Comment

Some say yes, some say no.
            Tom replies

No copouts

What do you say ?

Comment

Tom replies

No copouts

What do you say ?
              Well we know that the day he ate the apple God said he would die. Obviously he did not die physically so it would seem he suffered spiritual separation from God or died spiritually. I would fall on the side of physical death was also involved in the curse but I couldn't prove it using the Genesis account.

Comment

Well we know that the day he ate the apple God said he would die. Obviously he did not die physically so it would seem he suffered spiritual separation from God or died spiritually. I would fall on the side of physical death was also involved in the curse but I couldn't prove it using the Genesis account.
                What about exclusion from the garden and the tree of life ?

What is 1Co 15 5 referring to ?

Comment

What about exclusion from the garden and the tree of life ?

What is 1Co 15 5 referring to ?
                  What about it?

Comment

What about it?
                    Tom replies

Are you seriously trying to indicate you did not know I was asking you about the relationship between physical death and sin in 1Corinthians 15 ?

Comment

Tom replies

Are you seriously trying to indicate you did not know I was asking you about the relationship between physical death and sin in 1Corinthians 15 ?
                      I'm not trying to indicate anything. I said what I believe about the Genesis account. That's what we're discussing right? Physical death and the fall? You have a tough time staying focused don't you.

Comment

I'm not trying to indicate anything. I said what I believe about the Genesis account. That's what we're discussing right? Physical death and the fall? You have a tough time staying focused don't you.
                        Tom replies

I also asked you about 1Co 15

and its association of sin and physical death

It was pretty apparent the focus is on the relationship between the two not just the book of Genesis.

Do you care to address it ?

Comment

Tom replies

I also asked you about 1Co 15

and its association of sin and physical death

It was pretty apparent the focus is on the relationship between the two not just the book of Genesis.

Do you care to address it ?

The question was about Adam and Eve and physical death. You want to discuss that? Fine. I'm not chasing your rabbit trails. Try to stay focused if you can. Concentrate

Comment

The question was about Adam and Eve and physical death. You want to discuss that? Fine. I'm not chasing your rabbit trails. Try to stay focused if you can. Concentrate
                            Tom replies

1Co 15 discusses Adam's sin and death.

Why are you afraid to discuss it ?

Comment

Tom replies

1Co 15 discusses Adam's sin and death.

Why are you afraid to discuss it ?
                              We were discussing the Genesis account specifically which I am happy to do if you could only stay focused. When were done with Genesis then we can discuss 1 Corinthians 15. Deal?

Comment

Working...
                              X