Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Joel Osteenís Church Has a $90 Million Annual Budget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joel Osteenís Church Has a $90 Million Annual Budget

Mega-pastor Joel Osteen may not know theology very well, but he sure knows how to rake in the bucks. To put it another way, Osteen is an expert at getting your down-on-their-luck relatives to hand over their money to his "ministry." The proof is in the pudding, so they say, because the Houston Chronicle is reporting that Lakewood Church's annual budget is around 90 million dollars a year.

Lakewood Church's fiscal budget was revealed during the newspaper's series titled "The Preacher's Son." The series "explores the origins and spectacular growth of Houston's Lakewood Church under pastor Joel Osteen." However, the Chronicle and writer Katherine Blunt decided to run a separate piece breaking down the church's budget.

There are two related things that I find sad, albeit not surprising, about how Osteen and company spend their many millions. Most of that big pile of money is spent on furthering Osteen's brand while a tiny fraction of it is spent on evangelizing the lost. And by a tiny fraction, I mean just a bit over 1 percent.

from ://pjmedia.com/faith/joel-osteens-church-has-a-90-million-annual-budget/

By any stretch of the imagination, this is frankly OBSCENE and surely a PLAGUE on the real church of Jesus Christ. At this point the only good thing thing I can say, is that he is not begging his followers for a $54 millions Dessault jet.
    MY FOUR APOLOGETIC AXIOMS

1. Any verse ripped from its context is a pretext 100% of the time

2. We attack lies so others will see the truth; that is proof of our love for all cultists, not our hatred .

3. Inconsistency is a tiny hobgoblin haunting every cult

4. "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire

Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
    Matthew 7:20*-‬23 KJV
    ---> wof, insert your denial here. <---

Comment

(Luke 9:50) " And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us."

Quantrill

Comment

Did anyone notice this estimation of his theology?

Mega-pastor Joel Osteen may not know theology very well
        At least some of the WOFers can do better than him

2. We attack lies so others will see the truth; that is proof of our love for all cultists, not our hatred .

4. "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Quantrill View Post
          (Luke 9:50) " And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us."

Quantrill
          2 Timothy 4:3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,
          4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
          5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
          ESV

It is never wrong to expose false teachers for what they are: plagues upon the body of Christ, having nothing to do with the free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ alone, and everything to do with enriching their own wallets.
          Last edited by john t; 06-02-18, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by john t View Post
            Did anyone notice this estimation of his theology?

At least some of the WOFers can do better than him
            Is Osteen Word of Faith?

Osteen's church may be wealthy but it is spiritually bankrupt, with him for a pastor. I have listened to a number of his sermons and they were all basically pep-talks--God wants you to succeed; my father started with nothing and look what he accomplished, etc. Not one word about sin (too negativ), not one word about the Good News of Jesus Christ, not one word about redemption and how Jesus suffered, bled, and died so we can have forgiveness of sins and life eternal in heaven with God after we die. He gives his "spiritual twinkies" that may "taste" good initially, but in the end, people will die of spiritual malnutrition if they stick with him. Osteen never even mentions Jesus in the "sermons" of his I have listened to, except at the end, when he prays "in Jesus' name, amen."

Osteen tells people what they WANT to hear, rather than what they NEED to hear. That they are sinners and Jesus is the remedy for their sins. Sad.
            "I am tired of being treated like a mushroom--they keep me in the dark and feed me manure!" (reasons why a Mormon was leaving the LDS church)
            "What people don't realize is how much religion costs. They think faith is a big electric blanket, when of course, it is the cross."--Flannery O'Connor
            "I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran--NOT REFORMED/CALVINIST. PLEASE learn the difference."
            "The truth may hurt for a little while, but a lie hurts forever."--anonymous
            "If Jesus isn't THE WAY, then there is nothing else."--Bob

Comment

Quantrill
              But take note of this, that in the last days there will be difficult times ; for the people will be lovers of self, lovers of money , braggarts , arrogant , abusive , disobedient to parents , ungrateful , unholy , unloving, unforgiving , slanderous , uncontrolled , untamed , not loving the good , treacherous, reckless , conceited , loving pleasure rather than loving God , having the appearance of godliness but denying its power; and so avoid these people .
              2 Timothy 3:1-5
              1 Cor 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallen View Post
                Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
                Matthew 7:20*-‬23 KJV
                Pray that you might not be one of those Jesus talked about.

Without Love we are nothing more than noise makers.

Comment

Originally posted by spokenword View Post
                  Pray that you might not be one of those Jesus talked about.
                  You to.
                  ---> wof, insert your denial here. <---

Comment

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,
                    4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
                    5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
                    ESV

It is never wrong to expose false teachers for what they are: plagues upon the body of Christ, having nothing to do with the free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ alone, and everything to do with enriching their own wallets.
                    Does Olsteen disregard the free gift of salvation in Jesus Christ alone? Why is he a 'false teacher'?

Quantrill

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey1967 View Post

But take note of this, that in the last days there will be difficult times ; for the people will be lovers of self, lovers of money , braggarts , arrogant , abusive , disobedient to parents , ungrateful , unholy , unloving, unforgiving , slanderous , uncontrolled , untamed , not loving the good , treacherous, reckless , conceited , loving pleasure rather than loving God , having the appearance of godliness but denying its power; and so avoid these people .
                      2 Timothy 3:1-5
                      Ok. So you are saying these things describe Osteen?

Quantrill

Comment

Does Olsteen disregard the free gift of salvation in Jesus Christ alone? Why is he a 'false teacher'?

Quantrill
                        Are you asking because you want to learn about him, or you asking because you are a follower of him?

Each question requires a different answer, that is why I ask.

Do a web search on him. I found an article from the Huffington post, and one by someone called "Albert Mohler" from 2014. Read them. and if you can bear it, watch a video and see if he is merely giving a "pep talk" or is pointing to Jesus Christ alone, using the Scriptures in context.

Comment

Are you asking because you want to learn about him, or you asking because you are a follower of him?

Each question requires a different answer, that is why I ask.

Do a web search on him. I found an article from the Huffington post, and one by someone called "Albert Mohler" from 2014. Read them. and if you can bear it, watch a video and see if he is merely giving a "pep talk" or is pointing to Jesus Christ alone, using the Scriptures in context.
                          I am not a follower of him. But I know he has a big church. And I don't trust what the media says about any Christian. Do you?

Do you just get your information from the 'media'?

Quantrill

Comment

Quantrill
                            Yes. He is recorded on Oprah not agreeing that Jesus is the only way of Salvation
                            1 Cor 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Comment

Ok. So you are saying these things describe Osteen?

Quantrill
                              Many. Also Copeland and Duplantis.

Comment

Working...
                              X