Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

wof and Tithing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spokenword View Post

But we do have a High Priest incase you forgot.
    I guess you can't read. The Lord is not a Levitical Priest, The Law of the tithe does not apply to Him..., as the Law is specific about.
    ---> Insert your denial here. <---

Comment

• Originally posted by Tallen View Post

I guess you can't read. The Lord is not a Levitical Priest, The Law of the tithe does not apply to Him..., as the Law is specific about.
      So now you are not under the law but are now under grace. Shouldn't we now be giving over 10 % since Jesus elevated the law.

Without Love we are nothing more than noise makers.

Comment

So now you are not under the law but are now under grace. Shouldn't we now be giving over 10 % since Jesus elevated the law.

Showing us how bad you comprehend what people say?

Comment

So to whom did Abraham give of his tithe.?

Comment

So to whom did Abraham give of his tithe.?
            Where is it commanded that anyone should pay a constant tithe to him?

Comment

Where is it commanded that anyone should pay a constant tithe to him?
              I'm curious, Ted...where did Abraham find it to tithe to Melchizedek...and why did he do it?

Since you cannot answer this question, it seems to me that most discussions around tithing hover around the Law that Jesus deepened, without ever getting to the depth.
              Pete

~(8-[)}<><===> (flames of new anointing, béret, non-prescription glasses to help critics and their ilk feel more secure, mustache, beard...and tie.) I serve a God who walked this earth, for thirty years before He did a single miracle.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbeachhead View Post

I'm curious, Ted...where did Abraham find it to tithe to Melchizedek...and why did he do it?
                Tithing was a common practice among the various people's of Abraham's time. It was common to give a tithe from the spoils of war to various princes and heads of tribes in order to keep peace and establish good will to avoid future conflict with the one the tithe was given to and to illicit a good relationship for an ally against future conflict with other party's.

Abraham's tithe was not anything commanded by the Lord, it was a customary gift to help establish good relationships. The Melchizedek type, is a type of princehood and priesthood that points to Christ and His current role to Israel, the current body of believers. He is the Priest that keeps our good relationship with YHWH.

The tithe that Moses established was a social and religious payment to help the Levites perform their duties and ministry to the Israelites prior to Messiah's atoning efforts. With the death of Messiah, he ended the ministry of the Levites, per the epistle of Hebrews, and therefore ended any tithe to the Levites. There is no Levitical Priesthood to tithe to per Moses' Law. It's impossible, therefore abrogated by the death and resurrection of Messiah.

Comment

Tithing was a common practice among the various people's of Abraham's time. .
                  Why is it that it is not mentioned in Scripture. Where are you getting your info?

Comment

Abraham's tithe was not anything commanded by the Lord...
                    That's right! So me tithing to God through my church is strictly voluntary. Even though God has made promises to those who tithe, which I eagerly accept, is not the reason that I do it. I would tithe even if there were no promises attached to it.

I don't offer to God my time and money because of what he will give me, I offer them to him because I love him and it's a way I can express that love.
                    Allen (Unless noted otherwise, Bible quotations are from the 1984 edition of the NIV)

Faith--Sees the invisible, believes the incredible, and receives the impossible.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlFin View Post

That's right! So me tithing to God through my church is strictly voluntary. Even though God has made promises to those who tithe, which I eagerly accept, is not the reason that I do it. I would tithe even if there were no promises attached to it.

I don't offer to God my time and money because of what he will give me, I offer them to him because I love him and it's a way I can express that love.
                      To Me its also a form of worship unto the Lord.

Comment

Tithing was a common practice among the various people's of Abraham's time. It was common to give a tithe from the spoils of war to various princes and heads of tribes in order to keep peace and establish good will to avoid future conflict with the one the tithe was given to and to illicit a good relationship for an ally against future conflict with other party's.
                        Do you have a source for that claim...I'm not being derisive. I like your sources!

I'm stuck reading the last book you recommended...and watching everything Michael ever posted on YouTube!

Abraham's tithe was not anything commanded by the Lord, it was a customary gift to help establish good relationships. The Melchizedek type, is a type of princehood and priesthood that points to Christ and His current role to Israel, the current body of believers. He is the Priest that keeps our good relationship with YHWH.
                        The type I know the claim.

Melchizedek was...that's a given...and he's made a mystery by the writer of Hebrews...making me absolutely sure that there is much more to him that Hebrews doesn't bother to tell us.
                        The tithe that Moses established was a social and religious payment to help the Levites perform their duties and ministry to the Israelites prior to Messiah's atoning efforts. With the death of Messiah, he ended the ministry of the Levites, per the epistle of Hebrews, and therefore ended any tithe to the Levites. There is no Levitical Priesthood to tithe to per Moses' Law. It's impossible, therefore abrogated by the death and resurrection of Messiah.
                        (I'm not posting this here...and it's only between you and me...but...why did they eat the tithe for two years, and give it to the Levites the third?) As far as abrogated goes, you might remember how I feel about that...If I'm with my church, and we're actively pooling our resources for our community and beyond, our testimony in the town is strong, and we're effectively functional, then 10% is only a beginning.

I've always said I'd rather tithe 90% and keep the ten...but I don't have my first jet yet.
                        Pete

~(8-[)}<><===> (flames of new anointing, béret, non-prescription glasses to help critics and their ilk feel more secure, mustache, beard...and tie.) I serve a God who walked this earth, for thirty years before He did a single miracle.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbeachhead View Post
                          Do you have a source for that claim...I'm not being derisive. I like your sources!
                          Yes several, but it would take some time to dig them up. My time is at a premium at the moment.

I'm stuck reading the last book you recommended...and watching everything Michael ever posted on YouTube!
                          I find Heiser an interesting fellow.

The type I know the claim.

Melchizedek was...that's a given...and he's made a mystery by the writer of Hebrews...making me absolutely sure that there is much more to him that Hebrews doesn't bother to tell us.

(I'm not posting this here...and it's only between you and me...but...why did they eat the tithe for two years, and give it to the Levites the third?) As far as abrogated goes, you might remember how I feel about that...If I'm with my church, and we're actively pooling our resources for our community and beyond, our testimony in the town is strong, and we're effectively functional, then 10% is only a beginning.

I've always said I'd rather tithe 90% and keep the ten...but I don't have my first jet yet.
                          You can't tithe 90%. Tithe is 10%. We can only give as the Lord leads and provides for us to do so. I agree, I would rather give 90% and enjoy seeing many helped. There has been times in my life I was able to give over 50% of my income to help and share with others. Most often it was with groceries and other necessities that my wife and I had stored in our pantry to give to those the Lord has brought to our attention.

How I see our ministry is through the eyes of what the good Samaritan's eyes saw..., not through a law that determines a minimum of duty.

Comment

• BTW, Abraham gave 10% of the spoils of war to the Prince of Peace.

and blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
                            Genesis 14:20 KJVA

Then, he gave the rest of the spoils to the king of Sodom.

And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself. And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lifted up mine hand unto the Lord , the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth, that I will not take from a thread even to a shoe-latchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich: save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.
                            Genesis 14:21-24 KJVA

So here's my questions to those who want to use this passage for a reason to tithe...

If Abraham is your example for a reason to tithe..., why then don't you follow the rest of the example and give the remaining 90% away to the ones you got it from? If Abraham is the reason for the tithe, shouldnt you follow the whole example and not selectively use the scripture for an unbiblical teaching? And how does only one recorded event establish a continuous weekly, monthly or yearly tithe in the NT?

This is a good example of people misusing scripture, like sw, and reading presupposition in the scriptures and ignoring the whole of the teaching.
                            Last edited by Tallen; 03-14-19, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• If Abraham gave a tithe to the king of Salem and 90% to the king of Sodom, why don't you?

What is the king of Sodom a type of?

Comment

BTW, Abraham gave 10% of the spoils of war to the Prince of Peace.

Who is this Prince of Peace in the NT?

Comment

Working...
                                X