Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Why spelling and grammar matter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Danny of America View Post
    I'm thankful to and for anyone and everyone who has ever fought or served in defense of the God-given, unalienable rights of Americans. Those who deny those rights? I'd like to give 'em something.

I couldn't make out the photo in the video. It's funny to imagine someone's supposed to believe a dedicated enemy of America is palsy with THIS R.Lee Ermey:

(language is a bit not-so-nice in a couple of spots)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCBBv9LVGmc
    Who are you calling "a dedicated enemy of America"?

R. Lee Ermey is an actor.
    Reality rules, Honor the truth - For Chemist99a

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Comment

• Originally posted by stiggywiggy View Post
      I also thank him for his alleged service, if it actually occurred. His excuse about not wanting his picture shown is a bit fishy though. Years ago, when I first came to CARM, most people, including myself, had their pictures on file for all to see. What's he afraid of? If he's truly the big bad Marine he claims to be, why the fear of his picture being shown?
      This is beneath you, Stiggy. No way in heck am I putting my picture up here, either. Why don't you show us how it is done, and put up your own picture and real name? And heck, if you wanted to be deceitful, why wouldn't you just throw up some random pic off the net? Or one of your third cousin twice removed?

Give it a rest.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Comment

• Originally posted by Bandersnatch View Post
        This is beneath you, Stiggy. No way in heck am I putting my picture up here, either. Why don't you show us how it is done, and put up your own picture and real name? And heck, if you wanted to be deceitful, why wouldn't you just throw up some random pic off the net? Or one of your third cousin twice removed?

Give it a rest.
        My picture was up on CARM for years, back in the day, before I got kicked out and came back. I even know what HRG looks like, and limana and IceMonkey, all those posters of yore. Besides, I'm not trying to verify that I'm some big tough Marine. And what manner of man would get all bent out of shape over this? No one ever questioned whether he was a Marine in the first place. Why on earth would he begin to boast about it? Most Marines I have known are pretty humble people.
        Last edited by stiggywiggy; 10-27-14, 11:16 AM.
        Signature? You want a signature? I'll show you a signature!
        John Hancock

Comment

My picture was up on CARM for years, back in the day, before I got kicked out and came back. I even know what HRG looks like, and limana and IceMonkey, all those posters of yore. Besides, I'm not trying to verify that I'm some big tough Marine. And what manner of man would get all bent out of shape over this? No one ever questioned whether he was a Marine in the first place. Why on earth would he begin to boast about it? Most Marines I have known are pretty humble people.
          If I served my country as a Marine, I would get bent out of shape if anyone said, or implied, that I was lying about it. There is simply no reason to doubt it. It isn't as though he's claiming to be a brain surgeon/fortune 500 CEO/yacht racer or anything. He seems proud of his service, and he should be.

Comment

If I served my country as a Marine, I would get bent out of shape if anyone said, or implied, that I was lying about it. There is simply no reason to doubt it. It isn't as though he's claiming to be a brain surgeon/fortune 500 CEO/yacht racer or anything. He seems proud of his service, and he should be.
            Oh please...

This whole gag's an appeal-to-emotion.

This is the internet. The honest don't lie, and the dishonest seek opportunities to leverage their dishonesty into an advantage. I don't believe for one instant this gag wasn't 3 days in planning, at least, at club evo. "If you say you're a vet, he's gotta praise you no matter what. Look - he did a thread on the Marine Corps, so let's use that."

Well use it. Milk it. Go for it. If you can't act like a Marine, guess what?

And no scoffer here has the acting skills.
            "Ignore" feature no longer in use due to whining.

"I have lately read Morelyís 'Life of Voltaire', and he insists strongly that direct attacks on Christianity (even when written with the wonderful force and vigor of Voltaire) produce little permanent effect; real good seems only to follow the slow and silent side attacks." - Chas. Darwin

Comment

Perhaps. But if someone boasted about being a Fortune 500 CEO yacht/racer, when it had no relevance to a thread, I would at least think he was a chump.
              Signature? You want a signature? I'll show you a signature!
              John Hancock

Comment

Perhaps. But if someone boasted about being a Fortune 500 CEO yacht/racer, when it had no relevance to a thread, I would at least think he was a chump.
                Oh, trust me; I have frequently heard/read such bizarre claims, usually from a poster who spends a lot of time on the evo board. It's a running joke, there.

Comment

• Oh, no link was posted, but the appeal-to-emotion now has its own thread:

http://forums.carm.org/vbb/showthrea...embers-on-CARM
                  "Ignore" feature no longer in use due to whining.

"I have lately read Morelyís 'Life of Voltaire', and he insists strongly that direct attacks on Christianity (even when written with the wonderful force and vigor of Voltaire) produce little permanent effect; real good seems only to follow the slow and silent side attacks." - Chas. Darwin

Comment

• Originally posted by MrObvious View Post
                    Let's take a look at the title of one of your recent threads, it is quite a gem.

"Evoking the word "theism" makes the atheist assertion straw based"

Wowsers! This is something. Where do I begin?

First, "evoking" should be "invoking.Ē This is because invoking is direct and evoking is passive. I "invoke" the spirits and they "evoke" my passion.

Second, who is "the atheist?" Which atheist do you mean: Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, me? Even if you do mean a singular person, "atheist" should be possessive. Were you trying to say "make atheist assertions straw-based?"

Finally, the compound word "straw based" should be hyphenated.

One sentence, three mistakes. You don't want to play this game with me Nouveau.
                    So why do you disrespect professionals?

I donít even want to keep typing. Iím done with CARM for a while. The haters can turn that into whatever moral victory they like, I donít care. Some battles just arenít worth fighting.

My peers treat "vets" that PTSD. Why do atheists hate creationists?

Why do they troll Christian discussion board and hate Christians?

Comment

No. Here's where you are supposed to say:

"Not all geological epochs were conducive to fossilization, though I myself cannot give the geological explanations for that in individual cases, and nor for why fossils are found for certain species in the same time frame in which the hypothesized missing fossils for other species are supposed to have occurred, i.e. why during these alleged non-conducive periods, some species got fossilized whle others did not, so in lieu of my ignorance on this subject, I'll resort to my default position of calling people who question all this, [SIZE=4]'stupid'."[/SIZE]
                      Name calling? Classy, eh?

Comment

Your words:

"I am supremely confident that scientists think creationists are stupid."

And yet many scientists are creationists. So you think they think that they themselves are stupid?

Look, calling a large group of scientists, who are obviously brighter than you, "stupid" obviously backfires and just makes you look stupid.
                        Originally posted by MrObvious View Post
                        The overwhelming majority believe in evolution, regardless of their beliefs about God.
                        As a scientist in several fields, I know some rather brilliant young earth scientists that are creationists. Several I have know for decades that discovered hydrocarbons in The Williston Basin. Long before it was called the Bakken Boom.

Comment

"Patriot" eh?

All military personnel take an oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. This includes Marines.

Said Constitution exists to protect the God-given, unalienable rights of Americans. You are here supporting a false religion which denies the existence of all rights.

Of course it has never been a secret, the deal about oaths and atheists.

"Lastly, Those are not at all to be tolerated who deny the Being of a God. Promises, Covenants, and Oaths, which are the Bonds of Humane Society, can have no hold upon an Atheist. The taking away of God, though but even in thought, dissolves all. Besides also, those that by their Atheism undermine and destroy all Religion, can have no pretence of Religion whereupon to challenge the Privilege of a Toleration. As for other Practical Opinions, though not absolutely free from all Error, yet if they do not tend to establish Domination over others, or Civil Impunity to the Church in which they are taught, there can be no Reason why they should not be tolerated." - John Locke, A Letter concerning Toleration
                          [SIZE=3]If you would be mistaken for an American, let alone for a Marine, you should eschew behavior which is inconsistent therewith. That means no cowardice, which means no Alinskyism, no straw manning, no refusal to own one's own position, no misdefinitions, no elitism, no revisionism, no me-so-ugly, no me-so-stupid, no Sgt Schultzing.
                          [/SIZE]
                          Whoever put you up to claiming to be a Marine gave you some bad advice. Either you'll show yourself to be a fraud, or you'll be of no use to the local crew.
                          Amen

Comment

Oh, no link was posted, but the appeal-to-emotion now has its own thread:

http://forums.carm.org/vbb/showthrea...embers-on-CARM
                            Emotion

You're about to look like even more of an idiot!
                            You are a moron.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrObvious View Post
                              Ok, sure, I should give ESL writers a pass. I make mistakes too, but when you see the same mistakes from native English speakers repeatedly, it gets old. That type of person canít know anything about anything, certainly not the heady discussion that goes on here.
                              Hi, Mrs. Munson! I haven't heard from you since I was in your sixth grade English class!

Comment

• Originally posted by JenkScars View Post
                                or Darwinichigan, maybe the NoGod people on these forums should form their own Darwin Country too....and their slogan be

Come to Darwinichigan!

Where there is NO TRUTH!

Where there is NO LIE

Where you can live what ever morals you want! Your opinion is what counts!

Where actually, NOTHING made Darwinichigan! Awesome right? Well come on in!
                                Is "there" culture similar to the culture of Darwinistan?

Comment

Working...
                                X