Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Challenge to edit Atheists who Blame Christianity for Atrocities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HRG View Post

"Rip out your eye if it troubles you" did encourage French Catholics to persecute Huguenots as heretics; it was the topic of many anti-Huguenot sermons.. That this verse was interpreted in this way is a historical fact; that you interpret it differently is irrelevant.
    Find me one verse in the New Testament which encourages believers to kill their enemies or infidels.
    Signature? You want a signature? I'll show you a signature!
    John Hancock

Comment

Originally posted by stiggywiggy View Post
      Find me one verse in the New Testament which encourages believers to kill their enemies or infidels. When you fail miserably at that task, let me know how many verses you'd like ME to put up encouraging believers to love and forgive their enemies. As I said earlier,today, blaming Christianity for atrocities committed several hundred years ago in the supposed name of Christ is as stupid as blaming Ronald Reagan for a bank robbery perpetrated by a thug wearing one of those Reagan masks.

Let's see those verses, atheists.
      Matthew 5:18 - "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

That's Jesus talking.

Heaven and earth have not passed, so all the laws are still in effect. This means OT laws, so the OT is now fair game, and we can draw verses from anywhere we like.
      Dillahunty said it - that settles it.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkUK View Post

Matthew 5:18 - "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."
        Yep. HE will fulfill it, not His believers.

Heaven and earth have not passed, so all the laws are still in effect.
        Then explain why when nearly every time Jesus quotes the OT, He follows it up with a "But I say unto you."

What's the matter? Can't find any NT verses telling believers to kill infidels like I asked you to?

John Hancock

Comment

Originally posted by juglans1 View Post
          Irrelevant, since Matt 5:17-19 clearly says that OT law applies until heaven and earth pass. Or are you claiming that the commandments are totally man-made and have nothing whatsoever to do with a god which the writers of those commandments created in their images and likenesses?
          Commandments are much more ancient than OT record. SomeOne promoted them through Moses. Check 42 Principles of Maat. OT tells us that Sons of Israel were directed to Egypt and their consciousness was raised in the process - transformation of the brothers who initially considered killing Joseph because jealousy but sold Joseph to slavery into Egypt. Promoting Commandmant throughout the world was a deliberate task. Commandments were revolutionary for Cain type of consciousness.
          Passing away of Heaven and Earth is set on enlightenment, so, those can pass only upon Commandmants evolved to become essential part of our being not just a few lines in a scroll.
          Last edited by Baltic; 01-10-17, 09:42 AM.
          AT-FIRST-IN-PRINCIPLE, he-created, AElohim (he caused to be, he brought forth in principle, HE-the-Gods, the Being-of-beings), the-selfsameness-of-heavens, and-the-selfsameness-of-earth. Translation of Genesis by Fabre d'Olivet.

Comment

Find me one verse in the New Testament which encourages believers to kill their enemies or infidels. When you fail miserably at that task, let me know how many verses you'd like ME to put up encouraging believers to love and forgive their enemies. As I said earlier,today, blaming Christianity for atrocities committed several hundred years ago in the supposed name of Christ is as stupid as blaming Ronald Reagan for a bank robbery perpetrated by a thug wearing one of those Reagan masks.

Let's see those verses, atheists.
            Those verses don't exist. Why then does Christianity have a bloody history?

Comment

Originally posted by Kastewart View Post
              Those verses don't exist.
              Exactly. So why do so many boneheaded atheists claim that Christianity is responsible for atrocities?

Why then does Christianity have a bloody history?
              It doesn't. Why are you claiming it does when you just admitted that the New Testament does not sanction bloody atrocities/ Stop waffling and make up your mind.

John Hancock

Comment

Those verses don't exist. Why then does Christianity have a bloody history?
                problem is that politicians took over teaching of Christ almost the next day...
                they ignored Jesus's and St. Paul 's direction that spiritual element must teach and lead the movement.
                They ignored agape teaching.
                AT-FIRST-IN-PRINCIPLE, he-created, AElohim (he caused to be, he brought forth in principle, HE-the-Gods, the Being-of-beings), the-selfsameness-of-heavens, and-the-selfsameness-of-earth. Translation of Genesis by Fabre d'Olivet.

Comment

Exactly. So why do so many boneheaded atheists claim that Christianity is responsible for atrocities?

It doesn't. Why are you claiming it does when you just admitted that the New Testament does not sanction bloody atrocities/ Stop waffling and make up your mind.
                  Not all self-described Christians derive their Christianity exclusively from the NT.

Comment

Find me one verse in the New Testament which encourages believers to kill their enemies or infidels.
                    There isn't one. So what justification did the various Christian leaders use to justify slaughtering Muslims and pagans (etc, at various times)?

Jesus Christ certainly didn't give this kind of 'direction', even non Christians know that. The Christians who justified war and murderousness made it all up. They sort of had to, as Jesus Christ provided relatively little direction except for an individual's proper relationship to him and/or God and your brethren. Over time, Christians have had to put a TON of stuff in Jesus's mouth to justify many things, and they continue to do so. This shouldn't be a revelation.

The lack of 'direction' in the New Testament to kill enemies or infidels doesn't 'erase' that enemies and infidels are/were killed in the name of Christ. This is not a question to demand of non Christians, it's a question for Christians to ask themselves! As if not finding a scripture in the NT means Christianity is off the hook! As if modern Christians (well, True ones ) can dismiss past slaughter committed as being done by Untrue Christian Christians.

Modern Christians have their own problems, no one here is 'blaming' past slaughterings done in the name of Christ on modern Christians.

Comment

I just did. That it encouraged some believers to kill their Huguenot enemies as infidels is a historical fact. Does "St. Bartholomew's Night" mean something to you ?

BTW, they expressed their love for Huguenots by killing them so that at least their souls were saved.
                      Regards, HRG.

"The universe doesn't care what happens to its inhabitants, but its inhabitants do" (Tyrrho).

Comment

Originally posted by MarkUK View Post

Not all self-described Christians derive their Christianity exclusively from the NT.
                        Exactly. Thus it has nothing to do with actual Christianity. Thanks for bolstering my point. "SELF" described is right.

John Hancock

Comment

There isn't one.

Exactly.

So what justification did the various Christian leaders use to justify slaughtering Muslims and pagans (etc, at various times)?
                          What Christian leaders? Give me a name or two.
                          John Hancock

Comment

Originally posted by Baltic View Post

problem is that politicians took over teaching of Christ almost the next day...
                            they ignored Jesus's and St. Paul 's direction that spiritual element must teach and lead the movement.
                            They ignored agape teaching.
                            They sure did. And Christianity continues to be politicized. Most major world religions are, depending on the native religion of the nation in question. In America today, modern conservatism is basically married to Christianity, Christians even divide themselves into 'liberal' vs 'conservative' Christians without a second thought. I'd like to know what scripture(s) in the NT tell Christians to identify with conservative politics vs liberal politics? I wonder what scriptures in the NT direct Christians to deny human-caused climate change and which scriptures support nationalism, or protest against taxation, or involving themselves in any way in the World's scramble to elect presidents and senators?

There aren't any scriptures in the NT that support the Christian Right's endeavors to use the government to enforce certain Christian religious doctrines against same sex marriage either.

So demanding the skeptics and atheists to come up with a scripture from the NT that directed Christianity's past war mongering and slaughter of heretics and infidels is looking kind of ridiculous at this point. Christians, including modern ones, don't take their direction from the NT for ways of being Christian they take completely for granted. Lets' see those scriptures telling Christians to vote. How about scriptures that direct Christians to get law degrees and become politicians? How about a scripture that directs Christians to support or refuse support for a presidential candidate, or attempt to undermine, even verbally, a current president? This whole thread is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by HRG View Post
                              I just did.
                              No you didn't. **EDIt per mod *** I repeat:

Give me one verse from the NT advocating killing one's enemies or infidels.

That it encouraged some believers to kill their Huguenot enemies as infidels is a historical fact.
                              Asinine. Does the fact that some who read "Macbeth" might have been encouraged to kill their parent mean that Shakespeare advocated parricide?

Last edited by cdrom1; 01-10-17, 02:15 PM. Reason: alert:12
                              John Hancock

Comment

Exactly. Thus it has nothing to do with actual Christianity. Thanks for bolstering my point. "SELF" described is right.
                                The OT has nothing to do with actual Christianity?

Comment

Working...
                                X