Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Challenge for anyone who wants to prevent our German lady from having to eat crow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stiggywiggy View Post

You screwed up and you know it. Compounding your blunder with arrogance makes you look real small.

Well if you are determined to ignore what both The Pixie and I have posted, you have demonstrated your mindset for everyone to see.

I really can no longer be bothered with someone who exhibits such dedication to reject and dismiss the known facts.
    A CARM poster on the 1st century Hellenised world:

"Paper, writing utensils, the very act of writing was rare and dear."

"If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament"

Gloria Steinem

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Well if you are determined to ignore what both The Pixie and I have posted, you have demonstrated your mindset for everyone to see.
      You WISH I would ignore your miserable failure to produce a quote by Calvin or Luther advocating that Christians kill Muslims, Not happening.
      Signature? You want a signature? I'll show you a signature!
      John Hancock

Comment

You WISH I would ignore your miserable failure to produce a quote by Calvin or Luther advocating that Christians kill Muslims, Not happening.
        nrwt

Gloria Steinem

Comment

No more "***********" than the ridiculous claim that the words of Luther are not his.
          You have proved they were his - ie you never present evidence for your claims - atheists never do.
          "darwin/nature is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance"óme

Comment

Well if you are determined to ignore what both The Pixie and I have posted....
            Your *********** assertions SHOULD be ignored - present some evidence and this will go better.

Comment

Originally posted by juglans1 View Post
              And killing and persecuting Jews and anti-Semitism too
              "On the Jews and Their Lies" is proof enough of Luther being a vicious anti-semite. Let's see Stiggy try to dodge that.
              "All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine - THE AGE OF REASON

Comment

Originally posted by bob1 View Post
                "On the Jews and Their Lies" is proof enough of Luther being a vicious anti-semite. Let's see Stiggy try to dodge that.
                None so blind as those that won't see.

If it wasn't so funny it would be tragic.

Gloria Steinem

Comment

Originally posted by ferengi View Post

Your *********** assertions SHOULD be ignored - present some evidence and this will go better.
                  They got nothing. Time to eat some greasy bird, hyp.
                  "The beautiful cry of 'Death to America' unites our nation."
                  Hassan Rouhani, President of Iran

“An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”
                  Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by JamesTheLesser View Post
                    They got nothing. Time to eat some greasy bird, hyp.
                    LOL! So true - I love popeyes chicken!

Comment

Originally posted by bob1 View Post
                      What's there to dodge? Luther WAS an antii-semite. What's that have to do with all the atheists around here falsely claiming he advocated killing Muslims? You're obviously not paying attention.

John Hancock

Comment

None so blind as those that won't see.
                        Tautology.

Still looking for those Luther quotes advocating killing Muslims?

John Hancock

Comment

She had claimed that Calvin and Luther justified Christians killing Muslims and pagans. Thus far she has been unable to provide evidence for this. Can anyone help her out?
                          I don't often post on this forum, so I don't know any of you nor your agendas.

In regard to Luther and the Muslims... Luther was in favor of suppressing the Turk that was invading Europe. See On War Against the Turk, 1529 (LW 46:155), so in that sense, Luther was in favor of Christian Europe (through secular authorities) "killing Muslims." The editors of LW 46 state:

Luther makes it clear that a war against the Turks cannot and must not be a crusade or religiously motivated and led by the church. Emphatically he states that it is not the business of church and clergy to promote and wage warfare. Lutherís concern throughout the book is to teach men how to fight with a clear conscience. In so doing he develops two major points. There are, he says, only two men who may properly fight the Turk. The first of these is the Christian, who by prayer, repentance, and reform of life takes the rod of anger out of Godís hand and compels the Turk to stand on his own strength. The second man who may wage war is the emperor. The Turk has wrongfully attacked the emperorís subjects, and by virtue of the office to which God has appointed him, the emperor is duty-bound to protect and defend the subjects with whose care God has entrusted him (LW 46:159).
                          In an eschatological sense, Luther believed that the Muslim's were the tool of the Devil and would suffer an eternal death, so in that sense Luther was in favor of "killing Muslims." See his Preface and Afterword to Brother Richard (1542) in LW 60:251.

In regard to Luther wanting "pagans" killed, I think someone in this discussion went on to bring up the category of witches. Like almost all of Europe in the 16th Century, witchcraft was not looked kindly upon. The death penalty was a typical response, and Luther was in agreement. I recall an account of witches executed in Wittenberg in the 1540's, but I don't recall there being any historical record that Luther had anything to do with it.

Comment

In his/her narrative "whisp of inference" is rock solid evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by James Swan View Post
                              I don't often post on this forum, so I don't know any of you nor your agendas.

In regard to Luther and the Muslims... Luther was in favor of suppressing the Turk that was invading Europe. See On War Against the Turk, 1529 (LW 46:155), so in that sense, Luther was in favor of Christian Europe (through secular authorities) "killing Muslims." The editors of LW 46 state:
                              So you would categorize FDR's role in WWII as advocating killing all Germans?

In an eschatological sense, Luther believed that the Muslim's were the tool of the Devil and would suffer an eternal death, so in that sense Luther was in favor of "killing Muslims."
                              So you would categorize Christians who believe unbelievers will suffer eternal torment as advocating Christians killing unbelievers?
                              John Hancock

Comment

So you would categorize FDR's role in WWII as advocating killing all Germans?
                                I'm not sure exactly how your question follows from what I posted, particularly the phrase "all Germans."

So you would categorize Christians who believe unbelievers will suffer eternal torment as advocating Christians killing unbelievers?
                                No, Most Christians I know do not wish any to suffer eternal punishment.

Comment

Working...
                                X