Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Ecclesiastes question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecclesiastes question

This posting is not intended to be a debated topic. I'm simply looking for secular/atheistic thoughts on the book of Ecclesiastes. Let us cut to the chase however. Yes, I am well aware that you probably think of the Bible as a collection of fairy stories and fiction. With that out of the way, I would like to know your thoughts on the actual content in the book. What is the book discussing? What literary devices are being used? What are some of the sub points? Finally, how do you evaluate it's message(s)?

Yes, I'm also aware of the source critical views as well, but could we please keep this focused upon the actual content of the book. If you decide to comment, thanks for your time.

Originally posted by His clay View Post
    This posting is not intended to be a debated topic. I'm simply looking for secular/atheistic thoughts on the book of Ecclesiastes. Let us cut to the chase however. Yes, I am well aware that you probably think of the Bible as a collection of fairy stories and fiction. With that out of the way, I would like to know your thoughts on the actual content in the book. What is the book discussing? What literary devices are being used? What are some of the sub points? Finally, how do you evaluate it's message(s)?

Yes, I'm also aware of the source critical views as well, but could we please keep this focused upon the actual content of the book. If you decide to comment, thanks for your time.
    I believe in God, but I'm not a Christian, but my answer now is identical to when I was an atheist. Hope it's ok that I answer.

Probably the most thought provoking book in the Bible. Certainly many truths/principles within.

1. The book is discussing "truths" and musings on universal principles according to the content and the author.

2. There are various literary devices used throughout. Not sure which to focus on to address the concerns?

3. Gosh, there's tons of sub points. More than half is bound to be sub points.

4. I evaluate its message personally..the way it makes the most sense to me and my life and through the lens of various philosophical viewpoints.

Comment

Like Zaphod, I am neither a Christian nor an atheist.

I understand the book of Ecclesiastes to be exploring the human condition; more specifically, the meaning and significance of human life is discussed.

There seems to be several literary devices used. One in particular that I detect is subtle satire, though I wonder if that is my own interpretation.

I think the subpoints consist mainly of conclusions on the vanity and perceived ultimate meaninglessness of facets of human living and ambition.

I believe the book of Ecclesiastes to be profoundly human and personal, if that makes sense. At times, it reads like a diary of sorts, offering glimpses into the author's perception and insight on the human condition. Above all, I think the book can be approached and appreciated by anyone, carrying what baggage of humanity they may.
      "There is but one religion of god, and that is not to be evil." - Corpus Hermeticum XII.23b

Comment

the musings of a man who had experienced ALL life has to offer and came to one conclusion toward the end of his life.
        "Vanity, all is vanity"
        He deprives the leaders of the earth of their reason; he makes them wander in a trackless waste.
        Job 12:24

Tick Tock, Israel is Yahweh's clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

I believe in God, but I'm not a Christian, but my answer now is identical to when I was an atheist. Hope it's ok that I answer.

Probably the most thought provoking book in the Bible. Certainly many truths/principles within.

1. The book is discussing "truths" and musings on universal principles according to the content and the author.

2. There are various literary devices used throughout. Not sure which to focus on to address the concerns?

3. Gosh, there's tons of sub points. More than half is bound to be sub points.

4. I evaluate its message personally..the way it makes the most sense to me and my life and through the lens of various philosophical viewpoints.
          Thanks for taking the time to let me know your thoughts. I'm using my phone, so my post will be brief.

Comment

Originally posted by junkyardboy View Post

the musings of a man who had experienced ALL life has to offer and came to one conclusion toward the end of his life.
            "Vanity, all is vanity"
            Thanks junkyardboy,
            Do you fall under the atheist, agnostic, or secular label, with reference to your beliefs?

Comment

Originally posted by CelticSpice View Post

I understand the book of Ecclesiastes to be exploring the human condition; more specifically, the meaning and significance of human life is discussed.

There seems to be several literary devices used. One in particular that I detect is subtle satire, though I wonder if that is my own interpretation.

I think the subpoints consist mainly of conclusions on the vanity and perceived ultimate meaninglessness of facets of human living and ambition.

I believe the book of Ecclesiastes to be profoundly human and personal, if that makes sense. At times, it reads like a diary of sorts, offering glimpses into the author's perception and insight on the human condition. Above all, I think the book can be approached and appreciated by anyone, carrying what baggage of humanity they may.
              Very interesting response that deserves a bit more comment than my phone will allow at the moment. Thanks for the thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by CelticSpice View Post

Well, since I have had some time now to study the book in a bit more depth, I think that you are absolutely right with regard to the use of satire. Where would you place the satire?

Also, after having done some study on the structure, your comment about how "it reads like a diary of sorts" is rather quite accurate, to a certain degree.

Also, for others who may be reading this, I was hoping for a bit more feedback from some others. It is only 12 chapters long, and it really does not take very long to read. I've been studying it now for about a month, and I'm definitely fascinated.

Comment

Thanks junkyardboy,
                  Do you fall under the atheist, agnostic, or secular label, with reference to your beliefs?
                  why would the musings of a man reflecting on his wasted life be an atheist belief?
                  He deprives the leaders of the earth of their reason; he makes them wander in a trackless waste.

Comment

why would the musings of a man reflecting on his wasted life be an atheist belief?
                    The antecedent of "you" is junkyardboy; it is not Qohelet. Therefore, how would you answer the question pertaining to your position?

Comment

It's good to see His clay here. He's congenial and is a VERY good Theologian; if you want to really get into some good discussion/debate, treat him with a little respect and it could be quite interesting...
                      Isaiah 53:10-11 NKJV 'When You make His soul an offering for sin, God shall see the labor of His soul, and be satisfied.'

Providence ~ The red headed Stepchild of Contemporary Theologians...
                      New-Protestant Reformation Dec 2009

Comment

The antecedent of "you" is junkyardboy; it is not Qohelet. Therefore, how would you answer the question pertaining to your position?
                        I am not atheist, I am Christian

Comment

I am not atheist, I am Christian
                          Ok, thank you. This helps me to understand who I am talking to and how to evaluate.

Comment

Still looking for others to comment. Have the atheists here not read Ecclesiastes?

Comment

The book consists of 12 chapters. It can easily be read in one sitting in a relatively brief amount of time.

Comment

Working...
                              X