Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

Edited to add more information for posters:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Socratic Method vs. Scientific Method?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socratic Method vs. Scientific Method?

I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the logic rules people use here. When do you use the Socratic Method to prove things are true? When do you use the Scientific Method?

It seems like the Scientific Method relies on empirical evidence - so if something exists in our universe then it can be tested. The Socratic Method is used for things you cannot test with empirical evidence like concepts, emotions, etc

Is there a rule for what to apply when? Thanks for educating me
    Humata, Hukhta, Huvarshta (Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds) - Zoroaster

The Socratic method is when you ask questions of someone and elicit a series of answers, then derive a contradiction from the answers given. This is the method used by Socrates in most of Plato's dialogues, which is where it gets its name. The Socratic method establishes that there is a contradiction in someone's worldview, but it doesn't usually tell you which of the beliefs leading to the contradiction is false (it could be just one or all of them).

Science is systematic knowledge gained by the application of logic to observation. We first learn some obvious things about how the world works through uncontrolled observation, like "a ball will roll when I push it." This works for very simple things, but sometimes there are multiple alternative explanations that we can't narrow down just by looking. In these cases, we actively intervene in nature to control all of the variables that are irrelevant to the hypothesized causal connection, which is what we call an experiment.

So, here's how I would sum it up: Science proves a theory about how the world works, and the Socratic method criticizes ideas by trying to find contradictions in them.
    "There is no singular thing in nature that is more useful to man than a man who lives according to the guidance of reason."
    ~ Spinoza, Ethics, 4p35c1

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthearted Athiest View Post
      I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the logic rules people use here. When do you use the Socratic Method to prove things are true? When do you use the Scientific Method?

It seems like the Scientific Method relies on empirical evidence - so if something exists in our universe then it can be tested. The Socratic Method is used for things you cannot test with empirical evidence like concepts, emotions, etc

Why do you think they're different?

Comment

Occam has nailed it.

The Socratic method is used in the context of discussion, and only to falsify claims/ideas. Roughly speaking, it challenges the truth of a certain proposition, presenting information in the form of arguments, logic or answers to questions which ultimately calls the truth into question.

The Euthyphro dilemma is a classic example of this. A snippet taken from the Wiki entry:

Euthyphro proposes (6e) that the pious is the same thing as that which is loved by the gods, but Socrates finds a problem with this proposal: the gods may disagree among themselves (7e). Euthyphro then revises his definition, so that piety is only that which is loved by all of the gods unanimously (9e).

At this point the dilemma surfaces. Socrates asks whether the gods love the pious because it is the pious, or whether the pious is pious only because it is loved by the gods (10a). Socrates and Euthyphro both contemplate the first option: surely the gods love the pious because it is the pious. But this means, Socrates argues, that we are forced to reject the second option: the fact that the gods love something cannot explain why the pious is the pious
        The Socratic method can't be used to prove/validate/justify a proposition.
        Anyone who actually believes in the existence of sin will avoid lying about others and misrepresenting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Occam View Post
          The Socratic method is when you ask questions of someone and elicit a series of answers, then derive a contradiction from the answers given. This is the method used by Socrates in most of Plato's dialogues, which is where it gets its name. The Socratic method establishes that there is a contradiction in someone's worldview, but it doesn't usually tell you which of the beliefs leading to the contradiction is false (it could be just one or all of them).

Science is systematic knowledge gained by the application of logic to observation. We first learn some obvious things about how the world works through uncontrolled observation, like "a ball will roll when I push it." This works for very simple things, but sometimes there are multiple alternative explanations that we can't narrow down just by looking. In these cases, we actively intervene in nature to control all of the variables that are irrelevant to the hypothesized causal connection, which is what we call an experiment.

So, here's how I would sum it up: Science proves a theory about how the world works, and the Socratic method criticizes ideas by trying to find contradictions in them.
          Thanks
          Using your examples, the socratic method pushed Darwinism out the door in terms of it being a science in any way. Darwinism DOES NOT prove how evolution works. It just casts labels on it.

Comment

I see little actual purpose to the Socratic method. Just a way to obfuscate what someone wants to claim, usually with loaded and leading questions.

It can be useful as a henpeck device, if that is your purpose, to just annoy.
            "The beautiful cry of 'Death to America' unites our nation."
            Hassan Rouhani, President of Iran

“An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”
            Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

Originally posted by Nouveau View Post

Thanks
              Using your examples, the socratic method pushed Darwinism out the door in terms of it being a science in any way. Darwinism DOES NOT prove how evolution works. It just casts labels on it.
              It can't be repeated or witnessed.

Comment

Originally posted by CrowCross View Post
                It's component parts can be, which is all that science requires.
                "It is a kindness neither to science nor religion to leave unchallenged inadequate arguments for the existence of God... Belief cannot be alive & relevant unless it is responsive to the most serious criticism that can be mustered against it." - Sagan

Comment

The process of evolution can be witnessed.

Tests on the evidence the process left behind over deep time can be both witnessed and repeated.

Another science FAIL for the Creo.
                  Last edited by Tim H; 10-12-17, 10:53 AM. Reason: typo
                  "We have a pathological liar in the White House, unfit intellectually, emotionally, and psychologically to hold this office, and the whole world knows it, especially those around him every day." - Gregg Popovich

Comment

Originally posted by Nouveau View Post

. Darwinism DOES NOT prove how evolution works.
                    How is it someone with a claimed 5 science PhDs doesn't understand science doesn't prove things but merely provides supporting evidence?
                    "We have a pathological liar in the White House, unfit intellectually, emotionally, and psychologically to hold this office, and the whole world knows it, especially those around him every day." - Gregg Popovich

Comment

No event can be exactly repeated; and scientists don't "witness", they observe. Observations need not be made with the naked eye, or from close-by in space and time. Didn't we just observe the merging of two black holes, an event which happened a billion years ago ?

And witnesses must be present for cross-examination. Reading what was written 2000 years ago is not a listening to a witness, it is a rather indirect and unreliable method of observation.
                      Regards, HRG.

"The universe doesn't care what happens to its inhabitants, but its inhabitants do" (Tyrrho).

Comment

Originally posted by Spacemonkey View Post
                        It's component parts can be, which is all that science requires.
                        No it can't. nice try though.

Comment

Originally posted by Occam View Post
                          The Socratic method ...[snip]
                          Thanks Occam - that makes sense. What confuses me is when people use logic arguments to prove God is real. It seems like the scientific method is appropriate to prove if anything exists, I do not understand how apologetics like Cosmological argument or Teleological argument are even the right tools to prove if something is real.

So I am confused. When I ask for evidence that God is real why do people answer with the Teleological argument instead of empirical evidence?

It feel like we are using the wrong tool for the job.

Humata, Hukhta, Huvarshta (Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds) - Zoroaster

Comment

Thanks Occam - that makes sense. What confuses me is when people use logic arguments to prove God is real. It seems like the scientific method is appropriate to prove if anything exists, I do not understand how apologetics like Cosmological argument or Teleological argument are even the right tools to prove if something is real.

So I am confused. When I ask for evidence that God is real why do people answer with the Teleological argument instead of empirical evidence?

It feel like we are using the wrong tool for the job.
                            A deductively valid argument establishes its conclusion if there is sufficient evidence for the premises. Science uses deductive arguments to make predictions about what will happen in the future, to explain known phenomena, and to figure out what must have happened in the past.

If that doesn't convince you, notice that when you reject the claim that God exists, you're making a deductive argument:

1. Every claim requires evidence. (The Burden of Proof Principle)
                            2. There is no evidence for God.
                            3. Therefore, we should reject the claim that God exists.

So there's nothing sinister about deduction.

If you take issue with the evidence for the premises of the arguments for God, then that's something you would address with whoever is making the argument.
                            "There is no singular thing in nature that is more useful to man than a man who lives according to the guidance of reason."
                            ~ Spinoza, Ethics, 4p35c1

Comment

No it can't. nice try though.
                              Let's see. The components of evolution are:
                              1. Mutations: observed. Check.
                              2. Selection: observed. Check.
                              3. Genetic drift: observed. Check.
                              4. Speciation: observed. Check.
                              5. Symbiosis: observed. Check.
                              6. DNA exchange (for bacteria and archaea): observed. Check.
                              Regards, HRG.

"The universe doesn't care what happens to its inhabitants, but its inhabitants do" (Tyrrho).

Comment

Working...
                              X