Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Genesis 1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AV1611VET View Post

I do!
    Thanks for answering. I'm curious - when you go into a science class and they are teaching how the planets formed after the sun, what do you think? When they put up the equations that explain gravity and how the planets formed do you think the math is wrong? Do you think the theories of how elements formed in exploding stars, basic gravity, and Relativity are wrong?

I am not trying to sound insulting. But it seems that if you believe the Earth came first then all those science theories would have to be wrong, yes? Or do I misunderstand your view?
    Humata, Hukhta, Huvarshta (Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds) - Zoroaster

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria

The book is a little more complex than that. It might prove too difficult for you.
      Obviously it's too difficult for YOU, since you can't muster up a single passage to support your cockamamie idea about redactions from Genesis. Why are you recommending a book you remember nothing about?
      Signature? You want a signature? I'll show you a signature!
      John Hancock

Comment

• Originally posted by ferengi View Post

Prove it says that
        Genesis 1:1 says, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

I thought that meant that In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. It isn't until Genes 16 that God creates the Sun and other stars ("God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.")

Do you believe there is another way to interpret that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lighthearted Athiest View Post
          Thanks for answering. I'm curious - when you go into a science class and they are teaching how the planets formed after the sun, what do you think?
          I think they are wrong.

And the reason they are wrong is because they think the planets "formed."

The planets weren't "formed."

That takes too long.

God created them ex nihilo in an instant of time.
          THE BIBLE SAYS IT, THAT SETTLES IT.

Comment

I think they are wrong.

That takes too long.

Haven't you stated here that you're not a young earth creationist? The above would seem to be consistent with that school of thought...
            She will descend on a fiery cloud of demons to the place of round bread, and garnish them with the body and blood of young vegetables
            ~Podestaronomy 11:6 and 7

Comment

Genesis 1:1 says, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
              No, it doesn't.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Comment

• Originally posted by stiggywiggy View Post

Obviously it's too difficult for YOU, since you can't muster up a single passage to support your cockamamie idea about redactions from Genesis. Why are you recommending a book you remember nothing about?
                Not doing your homework for you stigs.
                What passes for "rational" thought on the alt-Right:
                "The Guardian is a rabid right-wing loony left rag" Sebastian Gorka

Comment

I think they are wrong.

That takes too long.

That makes sense. Thank you. So if I understand correctly you believe Genesis 1:1 is the truth and our current theories of gravity and relativity are wrong, yes? When these mathematical equations and relativity are used to make Google Maps work on your phone do you believe that is coincidence? I am not sure how they can use incorrect math and physics successfully every day. Do you believe there is another explanation for why the math and physics seem to work in so many areas of daily life?

Again - I am trying to understand - I hope I do not sound condescending. I just do not understand how someone could not believe in Relativity or the theories of gravity in 2018. But I'd like to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Not doing your homework for you stigs.
                    You told me to read a book you know nothing about. Teachers don't normally assign homework they are too stupid to do themselves.

Signature? You want a signature? I'll show you a signature!
                    John Hancock

Comment

No, it doesn't.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
                      I got mine from the NiV. But I think we can agree that changing 'heavens' to 'heaven' does not change the main point. There are hundreds of Bibles. I usually look to the NiV but I'd be happy to refer to the one you believe to be true.

Comment

• Originally posted by America View Post
                        Haven't you stated here that you're not a young earth creationist?
                        Yes.

Originally posted by America
                        The above would seem to be consistent with that school of thought...
                        Except I believe God embedded age into His creation the moment He created it.

In other words, He made the earth as old as He willed it.

2 Peter 3:5a For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old,

As Adam Clarke puts it:

It appears that God created every thing, not only perfect as it respects its nature, but also in a state of maturity, so that every vegetable production appeared at once in full growth; and this was necessary that man, when he came into being, might find every thing ready for his use.

Comment

That makes sense. Thank you. So if I understand correctly you believe Genesis 1:1 is the truth and our current theories of gravity and relativity are wrong, yes?
                          What does gravity have to do with God bringing the earth into existence faster than someone turning on a light?

Originally posted by Lighthearted Atheist
                          I hope I do not sound condescending.
                          Not at all.

Comment

I got mine from the NiV. But I think we can agree that changing 'heavens' to 'heaven' does not change the main point.
                            Actually it does.

And Paul even warns us that making a key word plural can lead to wrong thinking.

Galatians 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

It's not until you get to Genesis 2, when all of creation is finished, that we see "heavens" plural.

Comment

I believe God embedded age into His creation the moment He created it.

In other words, He made the earth as old as He willed it.
                              Don't YECs say the same thing? Any age apparent in man's understanding of the universe was either put there by God, or is otherwise a misunderstanding?

I'm not asking you to explain YEC or OEC to me, or necessarily that you should defend your POV on this issue; it's a bit off-topic, and my intention isn't to derail existing discussion. However, I will point out that it looks to me as if your position is similar to that of the young earth school of thought (based only on these comments).

I apologize if I'm wrong about this.
                              She will descend on a fiery cloud of demons to the place of round bread, and garnish them with the body and blood of young vegetables
                              ~Podestaronomy 11:6 and 7

Comment

Genesis 1 & 2 comprise what is known as a frame story.
                                No they are not. That is later interpretation to explain two contradictory accounts of the creation myth.

If we compare them in tabular format we find:

[1] Genesis 1 - 2: 4a:

The original state of the universe is a watery chaos.
                                The work of creation is assigned to Elohim and is divided into six separate operations, each belonging to one day.
                                The order of creation is :-

[a] Light.
                                [b] The firmament – heaven.
                                [c] The dry land – earth. Separation of earth from sea.
                                [d] Vegetation – three orders.
                                [e] The heavenly bodies – sun, moon and stars.
                                [f] Birds and fishes.
                                [g] Animals and man, male and female together.

[2] Genesis 2: 4b – 25:

The original state of the universe is a waterless waste without vegetation.The work of creation is assigned to Yahweh – Elohim and no note of time is given.
                                The order of creation is :-

[a] Man, made out of the dust.
                                [b] The garden, to the east in Eden.
                                [c] Trees of every kind, including the Tree of Life and the
                                Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.
                                [d] Animals, beasts and birds (no mention of fish).
                                [e] Woman, created out of man
                                What passes for "rational" thought on the alt-Right:
                                "The Guardian is a rabid right-wing loony left rag" Sebastian Gorka

Comment

Working...
                                X