Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Atheist and Nazi unity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stiggywiggy View Post

So you think the Bible was meant as a policy paper for geopolitical issues?

What "position" does the Bible take on the minimum wage?
    One thing is fer sure fer sure, a random catholic actor has all the answers!
    “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”
    Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesTheLesser View Post

You are welcome to state it, if you believe it there.

I am quite sure, in your mind, there is a fundagelical somewhere to blame.
      The fact is that many evangelical and fundamentalist Christians have emphatically stated that the Bible does condemn such things. And so have you.

And no I do not have a link, so the assertion "James the Less has made the argument that the Bible does certainly and unambiguously denounced the near genocide of a people" is without basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post

The fact is that many evangelical and fundamentalist Christians have emphatically stated that the Bible does condemn such things. And so have you.
        You should back off your silly "fact" declarations, fella.

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
        And no I do not have a link, so the assertion "James the Less has made the argument that the Bible does certainly and unambiguously denounced the near genocide of a people" is without basis.
        So, here ya go Pixie.

Simplicio has declared the scriptures denounce US Colonists treatment of Native Americans.

I'm sure he will lay out his biblical case in short order.....surely. I'm sure you are quite interested in what he has to say. I'm sure you two will have a rip rorrin argument over it. This is all rhetorical, ya know.
        “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”
        Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

You should back off your silly "fact" declarations, fella.

So, here ya go Pixie.

Simplicio has declared the scriptures denounce US Colonists treatment of Native Americans.

I'm sure he will lay out his biblical case in short order.....surely. I'm sure you are quite interested in what he has to say. I'm sure you two will have a rip rorrin argument over it. This is all rhetorical, ya know.
          Why should I back off from the fact that evangelicals have argued both on this page and elsewhere on CARM that the Bible does definitely denounce those things. Even you.

Funny how yesterday's arguments are denied today. It is almost like the faith changes from day to day and is not rooted in eternity.

Comment

Here is your oh so important question again.

"Okay, so let us discuss the killing of Native Americans by US colonists. Was that morally right, do you think?"

There isn't a specific biblical position that I know of, therefore it matters little to me.

Thus endeth your question.
            Oh, I see. If it is not in the Bible, then you can have no opinion on its morality.

With regards to what the Nazis did, is there a "specific biblical position"? Or does that not matter either?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
              Oh, I see. If it is not in the Bible, then you can have no opinion on its morality.
              Close, though seemingly tainted with septic skepticism.

If it is not in the bible, then I feel no need to "go beyond what the scriptures teach" <----yes, that is in the bible.

So when you intimate the scriptures condemn American Colonists, I must say I don't see it. Not that I don't have opinions on the matter, but I don't claim to be capable of condemning nations. If I were to do that, England would get my first condemnation, and every other nation on this earth. You seem to be under the impression that America equals the church. It doesn't.

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
              With regards to what the Nazis did, is there a "specific biblical position"? Or does that not matter either?
              You conflate the scriptures not speaking directly to nations and their 'rights', with "does not matter"

Yet another reason why your septic attitude gets little from me. I see most atheists here as not really desiring to understand what the bible teaches, just potshot commentary. If you can rise above it, more may discuss with you.
              Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

Why should I back off from the fact that evangelicals have argued both on this page and elsewhere on CARM that the Bible does definitely denounce those things. Even you.

Funny how yesterday's arguments are denied today. It is almost like the faith changes from day to day and is not rooted in eternity.
                I have no idea what evil I have done, according to your manufactured "facts"

Shoot, half the time I can't even make sense of what you are saying. But I do know I am bad, bad, bad, and all fundagelicals belong to me.....or some such.
                Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
                  With regards to what the Nazis did, is there a "specific biblical position"?
                  Yeah: It's not a good idea to gas to death 6,000,000 of God's chosen people. You need it IN WRITING?

Signature? You want a signature? I'll show you a signature!
                  John Hancock

Comment

I have no idea what evil I have done, according to your manufactured "facts"

Shoot, half the time I can't even make sense of what you are saying. But I do know I am bad, bad, bad, and all fundagelicals belong to me.....or some such.
                    I was discussion your argument made earlier, an argument which is at odds with your previous arguments and the arguments of other evangelicals.

Now the Bible is silent on the actions taken by European Christians which resulted on the depopulation of the Native Americans. Who on earth really believes that?

Comment

Now the Bible is silent on the actions taken by European Christians which resulted on the depopulation of the Native Americans. Who on earth really believes that?
                      The Bible, written many centuries ago, say nothing about stuff that happened on the other side of the globe a mere three centuries ago, This surprises you? Are you also surprised that it didn't tell us about the JFK assasination?

Last edited by stiggywiggy; 04-16-18, 10:04 AM.
                      John Hancock

Comment

• Originally posted by stiggywiggy View Post
                        The Bible, written many centuries ago, says, nothing about stuff that happened on the other side of the globe a mere three centuries ago, This surprises you? Are you also surprised that it didn't tell us about the JFK asassination?

But it does tell us quite a bit about morality. Which is the usual positions of Christians here on CARM. Now it seems that it is silent because it does not include specific details.

Is that really an exegetical principle?

Comment

I was discussion your argument made earlier, an argument which is at odds with your previous arguments and the arguments of other evangelicals.
                          Really? I was commenting upon your earlier facts, which were at odds with your previous facts, and arguments of other facts not in factual evidence.

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                          I keep waiting for you to provide. Seems beyond you I guess.
                          Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

But it does tell us quite a bit about morality.
                            Make up your mind. Is it an exhaustive historical document or a dissertation on ethics?

Which is the usual positions of Christians here on CARM. Now it seems that it is silent because it does not include specific details.
                            Obviously we are silent on non-existent things. It is simply absurd on your part to expect Christians to discuss how the Bible deals with native Americans. May as well ask how it deals with OJ Simpson.

Your posts make less and less sense every day.

John Hancock

Comment

It is already clear the average atheist on carm thinks God can do literally anything, and yet we see God saying with man, He cannot.
                              Where?

The thing is, according to the Bible, God has already cured people of disease which is the point I've been arguing. Why didn't God cure people of the Black Death, which He created in the first place, as He has cured others, for example in Matthew 8. You have been saying God can't do everything because He isn't omnipotent in response to me asking why He didn't cure people of the Black Death, and yet He can cure disease in the form of Jesus as demonstrated in Matthew 8.

Originally posted by JamesTheLesser View Post
                              Mans choices can thwart God.
                              Man didn't choose the Black Death.

You cannot seem to account for it in your canned, childish thinking.
                              Account for what exactly? You're being vague again.

And so, I wait for you to deal with it, watch you reach high and low for insults, diversions, and just silliness. But there it is, for all to read, and here you are, claiming God can do anything you can dream up. When you make effort to resolve this, I may listen to what you have to say. Maybe.
                              Iv'e made my points, and here we see the usual Lesser excuse not to actually discuss something he finds difficult, as usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whatsisface View Post
                                Where?
                                You don't know?

Originally posted by Whatsisface View Post
                                The thing is, according to the Bible, God has already cured people of disease which is the point I've been arguing. Why didn't God cure people of the Black Death, which He created in the first place, as He has cured others, for example in Matthew 8. You have been saying God can't do everything because He isn't omnipotent in response to me asking why He didn't cure people of the Black Death, and yet He can cure disease in the form of Jesus as demonstrated in Matthew 8.
                                You will need to ponder why God did not heal in Mark 6. Lets see how you do.

Originally posted by Whatsisface View Post
                                Iv'e made my points, and here we see the usual Lesser excuse not to actually discuss something he finds difficult, as usual.
                                I've made my points, and the usual whats his face is in over his head, or just whining, or both.
                                Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

Working...
                                X