Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Atheists die younger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Heart
    started a topic Atheists die younger

Atheists die younger

One of the evidences of greater adaptability is longevity. Simply put, research reveals that religious people live longer. Here is part of the abstract of another recent study:

Self-reported religious service attendance has been linked with longevity. However, previous work has largely relied on self-report data and volunteer samples. Here, mention of a religious affiliation in obituaries was analyzed as an alternative measure of religiosity. In two samples (N= 505 from Des Moines, IA, and N = 1,096 from 42 U.S. cities), the religiously affiliated lived 9.45 and 5.64 years longer, respectively, than the nonreligiously affiliated. Additionally, social integration and volunteerism partially mediated the religion–longevity relation.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full...48550618779820

• Whatsisface
    replied
    Originally posted by Open Heart View Post

I've given my opinion of the article. I'm not going to say more about it. You are not saying anything new, but rehashing your same old points, which I have supplied full answers to. Discussion is essentially over.
    What a dodge. I remember you've done this sort of thing before. When presented with evidence that challenges your case you shut down the discusion.

There are points I've made that you have not responded to. For those who may be following this, these are the said points.

You..
    What I'm saying is that Sweden might have a higher life expectancy than other more religious nations because it has a better diet or something. In order to compare like with like, we would have to compare the life expectancy WITHIN SWEDEN of those who are religiously affiliated to those who are not, just as we did with those in the US..
    Me...from the same article I linked to..
    "When we compare people living in the same country, religious people enjoy a health advantage if they are part of a large majority, as is true of the U.S. That advantage disappears if religious people are in the minority."
    You have not responded to this. It is dishonest of you to dismiss it.

Further...Here is what you brushed under the carpet re persecution of atheists....
    GENEVA (Reuters) - Atheists and other religious skeptics suffer persecution or discrimination in many parts of the world and in at least seven nations can be executed if their beliefs become known, according to a report issued on Monday.

The study, from the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU), showed that “unbelievers” in Islamic countries face the most severe - sometimes brutal - treatment at the hands of the state and adherents of the official religion.

But it also points to policies in some European countries and the United States which favor the religious and their organizations and treat atheists and humanists as outsiders..
    You have not responded to this either. Disgraceful behaviour on your part.

Leave a comment:

• Open Heart
    replied
    Originally posted by Whatsisface View Post

Here is what you brushed under the carpet re persecution of atheists....

You have yet to comment on this.

We were also talking about your survey pointing to higher life expectancy of the religious, and this is the part you have also brushed under the carpet...

You...

I then provided the answer to this as per your suggestion...

Me...

...and you've ignored it.
    I've given my opinion of the article. I'm not going to say more about it. You are not saying anything new, but rehashing your same old points, which I have supplied full answers to. Discussion is essentially over.

Leave a comment:

• Open Heart
    replied
    Originally posted by backup View Post

not sure what your point is

This study looks like it was just the US. If you follow the "logic" you would choose the religion where people live the longest, Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses.

On a global scale, the lowest life expectancy is in places with near universal religious belief and the longest lived people on the planet, the Japanese, are largely atheistic.
    Well, you would look at Mormonism and JW and try to find out what precisely it is about those two faiths that is increasing longevity, and imitate it. It needs further study to narrow down the exact cause. I went into my thoughts in detail in another post.

Leave a comment:

• Whatsisface
    replied

So you have nothing new to add. Alright.
    Here is what you brushed under the carpet re persecution of atheists....
    GENEVA (Reuters) - Atheists and other religious skeptics suffer persecution or discrimination in many parts of the world and in at least seven nations can be executed if their beliefs become known, according to a report issued on Monday.

The study, from the International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU), showed that “unbelievers” in Islamic countries face the most severe - sometimes brutal - treatment at the hands of the state and adherents of the official religion.

But it also points to policies in some European countries and the United States which favor the religious and their organizations and treat atheists and humanists as outsiders..
    You have yet to comment on this.

We were also talking about your survey pointing to higher life expectancy of the religious, and this is the part you have also brushed under the carpet...

You...
    What I'm saying is that Sweden might have a higher life expectancy than other more religious nations because it has a better diet or something. In order to compare like with like, we would have to compare the life expectancy WITHIN SWEDEN of those who are religiously affiliated to those who are not, just as we did with those in the US".
    I then provided the answer to this as per your suggestion...

Me...
    from the same article I linked to.."When we compare people living in the same country, religious people enjoy a health advantage if they are part of a large majority, as is true of the U.S. That advantage disappears if religious people are in the minority."
    ...and you've ignored it.
    Last edited by Whatsisface; 07-22-18, 09:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• backup
    replied
    One of the evidences of greater adaptability is longevity. Simply put, research reveals that religious people live longer. Here is part of the abstract of another recent study:

Self-reported religious service attendance has been linked with longevity. However, previous work has largely relied on self-report data and volunteer samples. Here, mention of a religious affiliation in obituaries was analyzed as an alternative measure of religiosity. In two samples (N= 505 from Des Moines, IA, and N = 1,096 from 42 U.S. cities), the religiously affiliated lived 9.45 and 5.64 years longer, respectively, than the nonreligiously affiliated. Additionally, social integration and volunteerism partially mediated the religion–longevity relation.

not sure what your point is

This study looks like it was just the US. If you follow the "logic" you would choose the religion where people live the longest, Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses.

On a global scale, the lowest life expectancy is in places with near universal religious belief and the longest lived people on the planet, the Japanese, are largely atheistic.

Leave a comment:

• Open Heart
    replied
    Originally posted by bob1 View Post
    You fail to realize, in that little list of yours, that some people are VASTLY more persecuted, bullied, etc. than others.
    You apparently haven't been following the conversation. I began my whole critique of the subject by saying to Occam to become a Jew, and THEN he can complain about being persecuted for his beliefs. One has only to visit the FBI statistic for hate crimes to know who really bears the brunt and who doesnt. For example, racial hate crimes are by far the most common sort of hate crimes.Some forms of hate are so built into society that we just pay them no mind. For example, no one is turned down a job because they are an atheist, but people are turned away from jobs all the time because they are obese or ugly.

At any rate, if you look at the post you quoted it does say the following, referring to my earlier posts:
    AND there is a statistical difference between the smidgeon of hate crimes against atheists and the half of religious hate crimes directed at Jews, so let's get PERSPECTIVE. Just like I, as a Jew in the US, am very grateful to live here, rather than in France.
    This is probably the most critical post on the subject, #42:

Lets put the internet aside, because we all know the net is full of trolls of all sorts. In real life, have you ever be accosted on the streets for being an atheist? Because I have been accosted for being a Jew. Do you know anyone close by who has been shot for being an atheist? Because I know two men who were shot going to morning prayers at the shul down the street. The synagogue I went to was set on fire by a bomb. I just doubt that you've been through anything like what I've been through. I don't think atheists know what persecution is really like. You guys have it pretty easy.
    Last edited by Open Heart; 07-22-18, 12:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Open Heart
    replied
    And asians are apparently some of the most adaptable people around, since they statistically live longer than other races.
    Yes it's very impressive. We need to copy their diet. Apparently, as their diet is changing to become more westernized, their life expectency is now lowering.

Leave a comment:

• Open Heart
    replied

I am singularly unimpressed with your answer.

From my post, that you think is whining..

And what you ignored...
    So you have nothing new to add. Alright.

Leave a comment:

• bob1
    replied

I am singularly unimpressed with your article. It throws out a lot of ideas that are entirely unsubstantiated. For virtually all of history women were excluded from politics, yet except for death from childbirth, women outlive men.

I'm dismissing it as whining because the rate is so low. Almost every person in this life puts up with discrimination of some sort. They are fat, or they are a geek, or they are ugly, or too short, or they talk too much, or they are autistic, or they are introverted, or they are prudish, or they need a wheelchair, or they are bipolar, or they are gay, or they like to write poetry, or they spend all their time taking care of pidgeons, or they are transgender, or they homeschool, or they are a Sikh, or they are a teetotaler, or they have a fake arm, or they are vegan, or they dress inappropriately, my gosh I could go on for a page or so.

I'm not saying that bullying is okay. I'm very opposed to it, and I fight back against bullies whether they are kids, adults, or international leaders. All I'm saying is that life is rough, and part of growing up is developing a tough skin.

AND there is a statistical difference between the smidgeon of hate crimes against atheists and the half of religious hate crimes directed at Jews, so let's get PERSPECTIVE. Just like I, as a Jew in the US, am very grateful to live here, rather than in France.
    You fail to realize, in that little list of yours, that some people are VASTLY more persecuted, bullied, etc. than others.
    Your claim that EVERYONE puts up with discrimination or persecution of some sort is a slap in the face to those that have suffered or are suffering.

Leave a comment:

• bob1
    replied
    LOL clearly women are more adaptable than men, but we cannot procreate on our own.
    And asians are apparently some of the most adaptable people around, since they statistically live longer than other races.

Leave a comment:

• Whatsisface
    replied

I am singularly unimpressed with your article. It throws out a lot of ideas that are entirely unsubstantiated. For virtually all of history women were excluded from politics, yet except for death from childbirth, women outlive men.

I'm dismissing it as whining because the rate is so low. Almost every person in this life puts up with discrimination of some sort. They are fat, or they are a geek, or they are ugly, or too short, or they talk too much, or they are autistic, or they are introverted, or they are prudish, or they need a wheelchair, or they are bipolar, or they are gay, or they like to write poetry, or they spend all their time taking care of pidgeons, or they are transgender, or they homeschool, or they are a Sikh, or they are a teetotaler, or they have a fake arm, or they are vegan, or they dress inappropriately, my gosh I could go on for a page or so.

I'm not saying that bullying is okay. I'm very opposed to it, and I fight back against bullies whether they are kids, adults, or international leaders. All I'm saying is that life is rough, and part of growing up is developing a tough skin.

I am singularly unimpressed with your answer.

From my post, that you think is whining..

And what you ignored...

You..."What I'm saying is that Sweden might have a higher life expectancy than other more religious nations because it has a better diet or something. In order to compare like with like, we would have to compare the life expectancy WITHIN SWEDEN of those who are religiously affiliated to those who are not, just as we did with those in the US".

Me...from the same article I linked to.."When we compare people living in the same country, religious people enjoy a health advantage if they are part of a large majority, as is true of the U.S. That advantage disappears if religious people are in the minority."

Leave a comment:

• Open Heart
    replied
    Research also indicates that women live longer than men on average. Your point?
    LOL clearly women are more adaptable than men, but we cannot procreate on our own.

Leave a comment:

• Open Heart
    replied

From the same article I linked to....

It seems that this subject is linking in to discrimination against atheists as discused earlier in this thread, that you dismissed as whining.

Leave a comment:

• bob1
    replied

Research also indicates that women live longer than men on average. Your point?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X