Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

ferengi claims god exists... doesn't present evidence...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LeoTheLibrarian

You would need to show that you can create a conscious being without you being conscious.
    Originally posted by MarkUK View Post
    Why? How would my inabiity to do it help your argument?
    1. Define "greater".
    2. Humans who can't multiply fifty-digit numbers in less than one second can build machines that can. The machine is greater than the man in that regard.
    I don't know what "more conscious" means, but a landslide can turn a (simple) mountain into a (complex) pile of rubble with no conscious input apparently required.
    Again, define "greater".
    So, not infinite.There's no such thing as "close to infinite";
    no finite number is closer to infinity than any other finite number.1 is no closer to infinity than is 1 quadrillion.
    I applaud your best efforts! Good work.
    - Do for others as you would want them to do for you: this is the foundation of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets. -

Comment

• Originally posted by LeoTheLibrarian View Post

I applaud your best efforts! Good work.
      OK... thanks?

Would you care to address the failure to establish that a conscious being created the universe/was necessary for creation of the universe?
      Dillahunty said it - that settles it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkUK View Post

OK... thanks?

Would you care to address the failure to establish that a conscious being created the universe/was necessary for creation of the universe?
        Oh, I was only concerned about consciousness creating consciousness. It's well established that like creates like.
        As far as the creation of a rock, I guess even a rock is smart enough to create another rock.
        Hypothetically, I'll give a rock that much credit.

If you'd like to argue that one cosmos is smart enough to spawn another Cosmos, I won't argue against that.
        - Do for others as you would want them to do for you: this is the foundation of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets. -

Comment

• Originally posted by LeoTheLibrarian View Post

Oh, I was only concerned about consciousness creating consciousness. It's well established that like creates like.
          1. Again, this reasoning applies within the universe, not necessarily to the universe.
          2. If I asked which conscious being created your conscious universe-creator, what would be your response?

If you'd like to argue that one cosmos is smart enough to spawn another Cosmos, I won't argue against that.
          My argument is that "an uncreated conscious being was required for the universe" has not been sufficiently evidenced.

Comment

1. Again, this reasoning applies within the universe, not necessarily to the universe.
            2. If I asked which conscious being created your conscious universe-creator, what would be your response?
            3. My argument is that "an uncreated conscious being was required for the universe" has not been sufficiently evidenced.
            1. That's all I have to work with. Feel free to step out further.
            2. The original. The most excellent question!
            3. Keep on truckin on, Keep on truckin on.

Comment

• Originally posted by ferengi View Post

Still no proof of your claim
              I knew you didn't have evidence to back up your claim, typical Christian.
              If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him. - Voltaire

Comment

• Originally posted by Pragmatic View Post

bump for ferengi (master of unsupported claims).

Comment

Of course it is typical. There are many gods (idols) as Nietzsche tells us. But the One True God is a Hidden God. No evidence at all.

My friend Pascal explains why we have no proof.

"Who then will blame Christians for not being able to give a reason
                  for their belief, since they profess a religion for which they
                  cannot give a reason? They declare, in expounding it to the world,
                  that it is a foolishness, stultitiam: and then you complain that
                  they do not prove it! If they proved it, they would not keep their
                  word; it is in lacking proofs, that they are not lacking in sense."
                  Blaise Pascal, Thoughts,233.

We admit that to be loved by a God known only in Jesus is foolish yet that is what we believe. So understand that we are honest and we have sense.

Jesus taught us to recognize our need to change and trust in Him. That is the best advice in the world. We don't need to prove anything.

JohnR

Comment

OK... thanks?

Our God is a Spiritual God. Not some kind of provable being. He is known ONLY in Jesus.

Yet we are created in His image. If you inquire into that you will benefit. If you continue to look for evidence you will not.

There is no evidence. He is a Hidden God. If I could provide proof of Him for you He would not be hidden.

Col 1:15 "Jesus is the image of the Hidden God."

JohnR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whatsisface View Post

It's all very well saying it, but what counts is when you show it.
                      Cannot show God. He is hidden and found only in Jesus. Col 1:15 "Jesus is the image of the Hidden God."

JohnR

Comment

ferengi claims god exists. Show us the evidence.

Remember that ferengi claims the Bible and links are not evidence.
                        God, like gravity, is invisible.

Not just to our eyes, not just to radar or sonar, but to everything and anything we can build to detect Him.

So, like gravity is also invisible, we must look for cause-and-effect evidence.

And it's there that we find plenty:

1. Martyrs.

2. Churches and other edifices, including Christian schools.

3. Iconography & statuary, including symbols, drawings, and artwork.

4. The Bible and other books written about our LORD, including tracts.

5. Songs, hymns and carols venerating Jesus Christ.

6. Holidays such as Christmas and Easter.

7. Debates, programs, cartoons, and specials on TV.

8. Time divided into BC/AD.

9. Mottos such as IN GOD WE TRUST, and ONE NATION UNDER GOD, and ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL, and ENDOWED BY THEIR CREATOR.

10. Resistance by unbelievers who invest time and money to eradicate God from public view, including changing greetings such as MERRY CHRISTMAS to HAPPY HOLIDAYS and SEASONS GREETINGS.
                        THE BIBLE SAYS IT, THAT SETTLES IT.

Comment

I knew you didn't have proof I made that claim - typical atheist
                          "darwin/nature is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance"óme

Comment

• Originally posted by highrigger View Post

Our God is a Spiritual God. Not some kind of provable being. He is known ONLY in Jesus.

Yet we are created in His image. If you inquire into that you will benefit. If you continue to look for evidence you will not.

There is no evidence. He is a Hidden God. If I could provide proof of Him for you He would not be hidden.

Col 1:15 "Jesus is the image of the Hidden God."

JohnR
                            I don't see why any true thing shouldn't have evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by highrigger View Post

Cannot show God. He is hidden and found only in Jesus. Col 1:15 "Jesus is the image of the Hidden God."

JohnR
                              But the poster I replied to wasn't talking about God specifically.
                              "My own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose." JBS Haldane.

Comment

• Originally posted by ferengi View Post

I knew you didn't have proof I made that claim - typical atheist
                                Denying that you believe god exists is the same as denying that your a Christian. Ferengi uses absurdities to avoid the OP and shift the burden - typical.

Comment

Working...
                                X