Let's summarize

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's summarize

CARM atheists are on record, here at CARM, condemning slavery.
    We can find no record of God condemning slavery.
    Therefore CARM atheists are more moral than God.

Signature? You want a signature? I'll show you a signature!
    John Hancock

Originally posted by stiggywiggy View Post
    Therefore CARM atheists are more moral then God.
    With that in mind, why is it I still want to worship God instead of Treepixie?
    John Hancock

Comment

Recent history has shown the horrible conditions of slaves, the results of 'modern' 'slavery' / death, brokenness, beatings, suffering/
      and
      that kind of slavery is opposed by anyone with a living conscience , a caring heart.

Biblical slavery was "compassionate", kind, and benefited everyone - slaves, owners, community, in many ways , allowing the poor to maintain much better living conditions including a roof over their head, regular food to eat, and so on.

Biblical slavery is absolutely and totally different than what people today think of as slavery. There is simply no comparison at all - nothing similar.

Meanwhile,

a different , far far worse, slavery goes on not only without challenge mostly, but actually PROMOTED!! by most agencies of all society (except those who are Biblical).

Only a few escape.

Comment

PEOPLE are more moral than your god character. People would stop rapes, murders, accidents etc.. if they had the power to do so. Your god character allows that to happen (supposedly, if it existed).

Your god character committed world wide genocide, according to the Bible, when the humans of earth didn't live up to It's expectations. Most humans would not be that despicable and immoral.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro77 View Post
          Recent history has shown the horrible conditions of slaves, the results of 'modern' 'slavery' / death, brokenness, beatings, suffering/
          and
          that kind of slavery is opposed by anyone with a living conscience , a caring heart.

Biblical slavery was "compassionate", kind, and benefited everyone - slaves, owners, community, in many ways , allowing the poor to maintain much better living conditions including a roof over their head, regular food to eat, and so on.

Biblical slavery is absolutely and totally different than what people today think of as slavery. There is simply no comparison at all - nothing similar.

Meanwhile,

a different , far far worse, slavery goes on not only without challenge mostly, but actually PROMOTED!! by most agencies of all society (except those who are Biblical).

Only a few escape.
          Oh, you were there back then?
          If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him. - Voltaire

Comment

I thought of how worshiping a landscaper or a magic dust person would go......it might go better if they were pretty women maybe. Maybe if I think of them as pretty women, it might be possible?

Not sure. I kinda doubt it.

Looking at their posts, I am starting to doubt they are more moral than God, or are even pretty.
            “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”
            Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

Correct

However, the position held by most people on slavery is just one of many positions that elevates the average person's morality above God's morality

Comment

You don't have to worship anyone, Stiggy

Comment

and

Meanwhile,

Only a few escape.
                  Regardless of how a slave might have been treated and regardless of any benefit that slavery might have had for society, the very idea of one human being owning another human being as a piece of property is morally abhorrent

Biblical slavery most certainly DID entail such a concept

Comment

Originally posted by New Tide View Post

PEOPLE are more moral than your god character. People would stop rapes, murders, accidents etc.. if they had the power to do so. Your god character allows that to happen (supposedly, if it existed).
                    This is a thread about God doesn't condemn slavery, I do, therefore I'm more moral than god, but if you want to make one about god doesn't stop bad stuff and somehow I would, therefore god not as good as me, there are many extant thread where people are parroting that more general line.

Last edited by stiggywiggy; 02-15-19, 12:12 PM.
                    John Hancock

Comment

Originally posted by Treeplanter View Post
                      You don't have to worship anyone, Stiggy
                      Correct, and for 26 years I did not.
                      John Hancock

Comment

Originally posted by New Tide View Post

Your god character committed world wide genocide, according to the Bible, when the humans of earth didn't live up to It's expectations. Most humans would not be that despicable and immoral.
                        So world wide genocide is immoral? What standard of morality are you appealing to?

Comment

Biblical slavery was "compassionate", kind,
                          You've either forgotten about or never read Exodus 21:20-21.

Biblical slavery is absolutely and totally different than what people today think of as slavery.
                          See above.
                          Dillahunty said it - that settles it.

Comment

Originally posted by reformedguy View Post

So world wide genocide is immoral? What standard of morality are you appealing to?
                            I would not appeal to a standard of morality, whatever that means, but to morality. It's wrong to harm others. No one has the right to harm others. Don't you agree?
                            "My own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose." JBS Haldane.

Comment

Premise 1: It is more moral to condemn slavery than to not condemn slavery.
                              Premise 2: We can find no record of God condemning slavery.
                              Premise 3: Carm atheists have condemned slavery.
                              Conclusion: Until we find a record of God condemning slavery, Carm atheists are more moral than God.

Comment

Working...
                              X