Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Let's summarize

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LeoTheLibrarian View Post

Romans 13:1-7
    Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.
    ...Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

So there you go. Scripture says to obey your governing authorities, rather than God's law written in ink or on stone.
    You lost me, and that is ok.
    “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”
    Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesTheLesser View Post

You lost me, and that is ok.
      NP. Read it again. I'm very aware that people don't get it.

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.
      ...Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.
      - Do for others as you would want them to do for you: this is the foundation of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets. -

Comment

• Originally posted by Lighthearted Athiest View Post

Asking for evidence that policies work as intended has nothing to do with atheism
        It doesn't have anything to do with christians either.

If an atheist politician made a claim like, 'we should raise taxes by 11%' then I would expect us to demand evidence supporting why this is a good idea. Morality has nothing to do with it.
        Again, nothing to do with Christianity.

Feel free. But since atheism has no stance on abortion, transsexual rights, LGBTQ rights, or the other things you said I'll just ignore them as irrelevant.
        Then I see nothing for you to be upset over.

Christian churches are exempt from taxes so taxes and Christianity have much in common - Christians need to prove why they are exempt but a dry cleaner is not.
        Christians and churches are what propel charity in this country, much of it is generated from churches. If you want a history of how it came about in the US, I can provide.

Truly, christians don't need to prove anything to you, you just need to research some history.

Christians use their faith to oppose some healthcare laws like access to healthcare options for women so Christianity has a big role in healthcare legislation - Christians need to explain why the proposed healthcare options are bad for the country or women in general. And 'just believe in Jesus' is not an acceptable answer as a basis for secular law in a country with diverse religious views.

I can't see how Christianity has anything to do with border security though. I still want evidence for how any proposal will keep us safer but that is a critical thinking thing - not an atheist/Christian thing.
        You just seem to be randomly complaining. If you desire to discuss laws regarding abortion, science proves a baby is a baby, so you lose there as well, unless you want to throw your precious atheist morality out the window when you want to kill your baby.
        “An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God.”
        Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

NP. Read it again. I'm very aware that people don't get it.

I understand scripture just fine.

You are not tying what you are saying into what was said.

You can dumb it way down, explain which comment, and your rwsponse, I'm kinda slow.
          Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

I understand scripture just fine.

You are not tying what you are saying into what was said.

You can dumb it way down, explain which comment, and your rwsponse, I'm kinda slow.
            After you read/grasp it, then you'll understand how it relates to the world.

- Do for others as you would want them to do for you: this is the foundation of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets. -

Comment

After you read/grasp it, then you'll understand how it relates to the world.

Ok, don't explain it, who cares.
              Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

Truly, christians don't need to prove anything to you, you just need to research some history.
                In a democracy you do. If you think you deserve tax exemption you have to prove why to the rest of us voters. If you want to base laws on Christian faith then you have to explain the secular logic. If you arrogantly say that Christians are above question and they can get Federal tax breaks and pass laws using the tax money of atheists, Muslims, Jews and Hindus then you are in for a fight.

And I do not think a historical analysis of Christianity is going to help you. As a Christian you see the charity and the good. You seem to ignore the inquisition, crusades. witch burning, and the 700 children abused by Southern Baptist leaders in the last 20 years.

You need to back every claim or new law with logic and evidence explaining how it will benefit Americans. Historical stories, faith, and Leviticus are not adequate.
                When I say 'no evidence' I always mean that there is no evidence that I have seen. When I say 'no God' I always mean that I do not believe in God. God may exist and there may be evidence for him - I have yet to see it.

Comment

Ok, don't explain it, who cares.
                  Right. WHO cares what scripture says.

Comment

In a democracy you do. If you think you deserve tax exemption you have to prove why to the rest of us voters.
                    And people have, that is why they have tax exemption. Even some atheist organizations have tax exempt status.

Originally posted by Lighthearted Athiest View Post
                    If you want to base laws on Christian faith then you have to explain the secular logic. If you arrogantly say that Christians are above question and they can get Federal tax breaks and pass laws using the tax money of atheists, Muslims, Jews and Hindus then you are in for a fight.
                    You sound like you are boxing with shadows.

IAnd I do not think a historical analysis of Christianity is going to help you.
                    Historical analysis of tax exemptions for charities, is going to help you. Which was the point.

IAs a Christian you see the charity and the good. You seem to ignore the inquisition, crusades. witch burning, and the 700 children abused by Southern Baptist leaders in the last 20 years.
                    You ignore the mass murders of hundreds of millions by atheists.

IYou need to back every claim or new law with logic and evidence explaining how it will benefit Americans. Historical stories, faith, and Leviticus are not adequate.
                    Oh ya ok. If it is your logic, no thanks, it can't even have a rational conversation.
                    Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

In a democracy you do. If you think you deserve tax exemption you have to prove why to the rest of us voters. If you want to base laws on Christian faith then you have to explain the secular logic. If you arrogantly say that Christians are above question and they can get Federal tax breaks and pass laws using the tax money of atheists, Muslims, Jews and Hindus then you are in for a fight.
                      "the tax money of atheists, Muslims, Jews and Hindus then you are in for a fight."

Those groups also have tax exempt organizations. Exempt organizations
                      must support charitable work and their profits are limited and not offered
                      to outside shareholders.

Comment

"the tax money of atheists, Muslims, Jews and Hindus then you are in for a fight."

Those groups also have tax exempt organizations.
                        Kudos. I hadn't realized there were tax-exempt atheist organizations.
                        Atheism > Oneness forum trolls

Comment

Right. WHO cares what scripture says.
                          Oh please.

Here, let me help you.

If you find yourself born into a Communist country, obey the authorities as much as you possibly can, but obey God first if you have a conflict. I was born under capitalism, and it is a much easier row to hoe.

Is your strange curiosity fulfilled, or do I have to continue to play "find the criticism" with you?
                          Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

• Originally posted by America View Post
                            Kudos. I hadn't realized there were tax-exempt atheist organizations.
                            Sure. It's has nothing to do with religious beliefs.
                            It's simply a method of organising your business
                            that proves a public good and is not profit motivated.
                            Becoming a 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Organization

Comment

Oh please.

Here, let me help you.

If you find yourself born into a Communist country, obey the authorities as much as you possibly can, but obey God first if you have a conflict. I was born under capitalism, and it is a much easier row to hoe.

Is your strange curiosity fulfilled, or do I have to continue to play "find the criticism" with you?
                              Scripture says to obey local authority. There is not one passage teaching civil disobedience for religious exemptions.

There are a few stories describing civil disobedience and the dire consequences.
                              In one.....every non-believer is diced into chunks of meat, including any family and friends.
                              I don't recommend it.

Comment

Scripture says to obey local authority. There is not one passage teaching civil disobedience for religious exemptions.

There are a few stories describing civil disobedience and the dire consequences.
                                Sounds great, awesome. But.....are you sure about that? How sure are you?

Except for me, I will obey God if man is trying to tell me to do what God says not to do. Too bad, so sad.
                                Carl Sagan

God is love.

Comment

Working...
                                X