Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

The issue of why God created people who go to hell.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MarkUK View Post

You answered one of my questions, but not this one:

If you knew in advance that a child you would create would end up in hell after they died, would you have said child?

If you had answered it I wouldn't be asking again.
    I reject the question because #1, I haven't the power to create children, and # 2 I haven't the ability to see in advance what the child would choose to do.
    If he had meant to cast you away he would have done so long ago. If he wanted reasons for rejecting you he had reasons from all eternity, for he knew what you would be. No sin in you has been a surprise to him. — C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

• Originally posted by Zaphod View Post
      Nope. I have never said that anyone chooses their beliefs. Try to pay attention.
      OK. So Christians don't choose their beliefs but they are compelled to believe what they believe based upon the compelling truth of the evidence for their belief; is that right?

Originally posted by Zaphod
      Huh? What are you talking about? I have been gracious and charitable to your claims the entire time.
      Thank you for being gracious and charitable, Zaphod.
      If he had meant to cast you away he would have done so long ago. If he wanted reasons for rejecting you he had reasons from all eternity, for he knew what you would be. No sin in you has been a surprise to him. — C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

• Originally posted by Howie View Post
        OK. So Christians don't choose their beliefs but they are compelled to believe what they believe based upon the compelling truth of the evidence for their belief; is that right?
        Nope. Please go back and read what I wrote. They are compelled. How are they compelled? We’ve literally been through the mechanism four times.

Thank you for being gracious and charitable, Zaphod.
        Yep

Comment

Nope. Please go back and read what I wrote. They are compelled. How are they compelled? We’ve literally been through the mechanism four times.
          Why are they compelled one way, but not the other way, Zaphod?

Comment

Your first statement is my point. NO ONE is compelled to believe or not believe that Jesus Christ exists or does not exist in the same way EVERYONE is compelled to believe that 1 + 1 = 2.

The truth of 1 + 1 =2 must be accepted, unlike the choice that one must make regarding the existence or non-existence of Jesus Christ based upon the available evidence. Therefore, Whatsisface's "logic" isn't applicable in this context, but it "sux" (as it almost always does regarding theology, IMO).

That's all...
            Your contention was that belief in God is a choice, as said above. The logic of 1+1=2 is absolute and inescapable so you don't choose to believe it, you're compelled to believe it. Are you acknowledging that at last now?

The way atheists view evidence in general and the so called evidences for God in particular means that they cannot go against where their view of the evidences inevitably leads them, ie I cannot believe in God, in the same way as it's inevitable for them that 1+1=2.

The conclusion atheists come to is inevitable for them rather than a choice, as 1+1=2 is inevitable and not a choice.
            "My own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose." JBS Haldane.

Comment

Why are they compelled one way, but not the other way, Zaphod?
              Because belief is compelled by a number of factors. People tend to believe what they are told from someone they trust.

You have a friend or family member that you trust greatly. Imagine that person tells you he bumped the garbage can with his car yesterday. You’ll probably believe that report because you are compelled by the evidence of his character as you have previously determined. I never saw my grandmothers dead body, but I was compelled to believe she died by the actions of my family and her church members and the funeral service and the actions taken by those who serve when combine has died.

Comment

I reject the question because #1, I haven't the power to create children, and # 2 I haven't the ability to see in advance what the child would choose to do.
                That's what the "if" was for - assume you can create children and you have the ability, then answer.

(If you want to say "no", but don't want to make Yahweh look like a tool for doing exactly that, feel free not to answer.)
                Dillahunty said it - that settles it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whatsisface View Post
                  Your contention was that belief in God is a choice, as said above. The logic of 1+1=2 is absolute and inescapable so you don't choose to believe it, you're compelled to believe it. Are you acknowledging that at last now?
                  I've never denied it.

Originally posted by Whatsisface
                  The way atheists view evidence in general and the so called evidences for God in particular means that they cannot go against where their view of the evidences inevitably leads them, ie I cannot believe in God, in the same way as it's inevitable for them that 1+1=2.

The conclusion atheists come to is inevitable for them rather than a choice, as 1+1=2 is inevitable and not a choice.
                  OK. I see that. I believe it's semantics.

I can believe in God in the same way that I believe 1 + 1 = 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkUK View Post

That's what the "if" was for - assume you can create children and you have the ability, then answer.

(If you want to say "no", but don't want to make Yahweh look like a tool for doing exactly that, feel free not to answer.)
                    My answering your question has no bearing upon what Yahweh, "looks like" to you, or to me. That's an appeal to emotion.

I've heard your positions about God for decades now, mkay?

Further, I believe the Scripture's position is that, as a result of the fall, you cannot believe in God unless/until He gives you the ability to believe in Him. So, God did create people He knew would go to hell because of His choice not to save them.

Does that alter your opinion of God at all?

How about me; does that alter your opinion of me at all?
                    Last edited by Howie; 07-11-19, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I've never denied it.

OK. I see that. I believe it's semantics.

Exactly. You have been compelled to beleive as you do.

Comment

I've never denied it.
                        But you repeatedly ignored it with no explanation as to why.

Originally posted by Howie View Post
                        OK. I see that.
                        That's great. But I've been saying "that" all along.

Originally posted by Howie View Post
                        Then by you own admission above you don't choose to, which is what you claimed for yourself and atheists all along.
                        "My own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose." JBS Haldane.

Comment

But you repeatedly ignored it with no explanation as to why.
                          And by that you were compelled to believe that I denied it. Compelled wrongly.

Originally posted by Whatsisface
                          Then by you own admission above you don't choose to, which is what you claimed for yourself and atheists all along.
                          No. We both choose our positions.

Comment

Exactly. You have been compelled to beleive as you do.
                            We both (atheists and Christians) choose what we believe, Zaphod.

Comment

No. We both choose our positions.
                              I said...

To which you replied...
                              OK. I see that.
                              You now seem to be going back on that by saying belief is a choice, after agreeing it wasn't. You are contradicting yourself.

Comment

You now seem to be going back on that by saying belief is a choice, after agreeing it wasn't. You are contradicting yourself.
                                By definition and logic, belief is a choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X