Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Question for atheists who reject all beliefs for which there is no empirical evidence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for atheists who reject all beliefs for which there is no empirical evidence

Do you believe child rape is wrong?

If so, could you please provide empirical evidence for your belief?

Signature? You want a signature? I'll show you a signature!
    John Hancock

Originally posted by stiggywiggy View Post

I donít believe child rape is wrong, I KNOW it is wrong.

No, I cannot provide empirical evidence that child rape is wrong. I know it is wrong by applying the moral standards by which I know any action is right or wrong. Anyone who doesnít know child rape is wrong is someone Iím not interested in having any conversations with unless it is some sort of scientific study to serve a purpose in fighting crime or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

I donít believe child rape is wrong, I KNOW it is wrong.

No, I cannot provide empirical evidence that child rape is wrong.
      Yet you know it is. Have you ever made a CARM post criticizing Christians for holding beliefs for which they can provide no empirical evidence?
      John Hancock

Comment

Yet you know it is. Have you ever made a CARM post criticizing Christians for holding beliefs for which they can provide no empirical evidence?
        Only if they are asking me to believe something because otherwise bad things will happen to me. If I was interested in changing someoneís mind to my perspective on baby rape, I would appeal to their sense of morality. I wouldnít use empirical evidence and I wouldnít threaten them with an eternity of fiery torture.

Comment

Please disregard my responses. You changed your title AFTER I posted. I am not an atheist and I believe plenty of ideas without empirical evidence. So Iím doubly disqualified from being your intended recipient.

Comment

Only if they are asking me to believe something because otherwise bad things will happen to me. If I was interested in changing someone’s mind to my perspective on baby rape, I would appeal to their sense of morality. I wouldn’t use empirical evidence and I wouldn’t threaten them with an eternity of fiery torture.
            So if you admit there are things you believe without being able to provide empirical evidence, aren't you being hypocritical when you criticize Christians for the same thing?
            John Hancock

Comment

The bruises and physical injury that result from said rape. The observable emotional trauma that results.

"My own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose." JBS Haldane.

Comment

Please disregard my responses. You changed your title AFTER I posted.
                That is not true.

But thanks for revealing your inconsistency.
                John Hancock

Comment

Originally posted by Whatsisface View Post

The bruises and physical injury that result from said rape. The observable emotional trauma that results.
                  Can you provide empirical evidence for your belief that causing such trauma is wrong?
                  John Hancock

Comment

Can you provide empirical evidence for your belief that causing such trauma is wrong?
                    Yes. I'll come round your house and cause similar injury to you, your wife and kids, and ask you if what was done was wrong or not. Or will you ask for empirical evidence as to whether what I'd done was wrong or not before calling the police?
                    Last edited by Whatsisface; 09-07-19, 08:33 PM.
                    "My own suspicion is that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose." JBS Haldane.

Comment

Yes. I'll come round your house and cause similar injury to you, your wife and kids, and ask you if what was done was wrong. Or will you ask for empirical evidence as to whether what I'd done was wrong or not?
                      I would not. I know it's wrong without empirical evidence. So I take it that you have never criticized Christians for holding beliefs for which they have no empirical evidence. Fine.

How about you, HRG?
                      John Hancock

Comment

I would not. I know it's wrong without empirical evidence.
                        So do I. But the empirical evidence is part of why it's wrong. So what's your point?

So I take it that you have never criticized Christians for holding beliefs for which they have no empirical evidence. Fine.
                        I have criticised Christians for holding beliefs with no demonstrable evidence be it empirical or otherwise.

Comment

I don’t believe child rape is wrong, I KNOW it is wrong.

No, I cannot provide empirical evidence that child rape is wrong.
                          Your words in one of your OPs:

......god belief is NOT rocket science. Rocket science can be demonstrated and independently verified by experiment and measurement. No such verification or demonstration is possible with Christianity
                          Can OUR belief that child rape is wrong "be demonstrated and independently verified by experiment and measurement?"
                          John Hancock

Comment

As we got to in another thread, beliefs that claim something external to ones consciousness -like trees and gods - do require empirical evidence for rational belief. Beliefs or perceptions without referent to something outside consciousness- like qualia - cant have empirical evidence.

Dont confuse in that distinction the qualia of perceiving a tree with a claim that a tree exists The qualia is all within consciousness, the tree isnít.

Comment

So do I. But the empirical evidence is part of why it's wrong.
                              What empirical evidence? Can you present it?

I have criticised Christians for holding beliefs with no demonstrable evidence be it empirical or otherwise.
                              So explain why you're not being hypocritical for holding your belief that child rape is wrong while being incapable of providing demonstrable evidence that it is.
                              John Hancock

Comment

Working...
                              X