Clear All

• Atheeistism the same as hedonism. Pleasure is sales pitch

Hedonism

Originally posted by NoOtherName View Post

I'm no philosopher, but here's my steps:

I exist in a physical world.

I experience pleasure and pain.

I prefer pleasure over pain.

People other than me also live in this world, and they have similar preferences.

The world works out better for everyone, including me, if we create a system to promote pleasure and limit pain for the maximal number of people and scenarios.

It can be objectively determined what actions can cause maximal pleasure and minimal pain in given scenarios.

The system that promotes these goals for the maximal number of people and scenarios is called morality.

There. That's pretty much it. Simplistic, to say the least, but that's how you build a purely secular morality.

Hardline hedonism

The Bible doesn't mention morality.
    The Bible doesn't sell pleasure, promise pleasure nor suggest an expectation of pleasure.(our Constitution offers a right to"pursue" happiness.)

I sure have seen a massive amount of joy in Church people.

Doing what is right may even cost your life.

The world of Jeffreak Epstein was hardline hedonism.

Here is the BOTTOM LINE

Atheeism promises bucket loads of pleasure, in fact you should feeel a buzz 'cause you are bright and rational and nobody else has attained such nirvanna.

In reality all occupants in an atheeist culture are poor and miserable except the rulers who are miserable, paranoid and rich.

Originally posted by Nouveau View Post
    Hedonism

Hardline hedonism

The Bible doesn't sell pleasure, promise pleasure nor suggest an expectation of pleasure.(our Constitution offers a right to"pursue" happiness.)

Here is the BOTTOM LINE

Atheeism promises bucket loads of pleasure, in fact you should feeel a buzz 'cause you are bright and rational and nobody else has attained such nirvanna.

In reality all occupants in an atheeist culture are poor and miserable except the rulers who are miserable, paranoid and rich.
    Is there a point to this thread?
    Do you have PPA?
    With all the conflicting religious beliefs in the world, they can’t all be right. But they can all be wrong.
    Herb Silverman.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post
      Do you have PPA?
      You missed the point. Again

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post
        Do you have PPA?
        Apparently he assumes the following two statements are equivalent:

1) an atheist here argues that the best basis for morality is to choose the actions which result in the most overall pleasure and the least overall pain (Utilitarianism, essentially), and

2) atheism tries to seduce people into abandoning God by promising untold pleasure in return.

Since the two statements obviously have no resemblance to one another other than the fact that each includes the word "pleasure," I guess we can wrap up the thread now. (Won't happen, of course, but one can dream.)
        I promise that if you treat me as a reasonable person -- someone who is open to good arguments and clear explanations -- I will treat you as one in return.

If, on the other hand, you don't consider me a reasonable person, why would you want to talk to me, and why would I want to listen to you?

Comment

Originally posted by ajarntham View Post

1) an atheist here argues that the best basis for morality is to choose the actions which result in the most overall pleasure and the least overall pain (Utilitarianism, essentially), and

2) atheism tries to seduce people into abandoning God by promising untold pleasure in return.

Since the two statements obviously have no resemblance to one another other than the fact that each includes the word "pleasure," I guess we can wrap up the thread now. (Won't happen, of course, but one can dream.)
          How much pleasure is experienced when someone hops on the Hedonism band wagon?

Comment

He may also be claiming that the best way to get pleasure is through religion.

Comment

Are you planning to not show what causes your speculation?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrrho View Post

He may also be claiming that the best way to get pleasure is through religion.
                Maybe. Or maybe the opposite. Or maybe both. It's a question requiring much more research, but alas I'll have to decline participating in it.
                I promise that if you treat me as a reasonable person -- someone who is open to good arguments and clear explanations -- I will treat you as one in return.

If, on the other hand, you don't consider me a reasonable person, why would you want to talk to me, and why would I want to listen to you?

Comment

Hedonism

Hardline hedonism

Here is the BOTTOM LINE

You need to check the beam in your own eye, nouveau. Pleasure is the Christian sales pitch.

Atheism only says there is no God; there is no promise of pleasure if you become an atheist. The sales pitch is that you should become an atheist because atheism is true.

On the other hand, Christianity promises you an afterlife in heaven. It very much is using pleasure (in the afterlife) as a sales pitch.

Comment

Hedonism sold pleasure and the gift was STD 's The gift that keeps on giving.

Comment

Hedonism sold pleasure and the gift was STD 's The gift that keeps on giving.
                      Keep your pants on, junior.
                      A disordered kook can ramble on for years with increasingly disturbing, weird, unhinged from reality ideas, and we let it go on and on, gathering momentum...

Comment

Hedonism

Hardline hedonism

Here is the BOTTOM LINE

Please read psalm 16, specifically vs 10.
                        also, please read Isaiah 32, specifically vs 17.

Then Romans 8, vss 13-27, 2 Corinthians 4, 10 and I believe Revelation 21-22.

It seems to me that it's pretty clear that in eternity, we're going to experience extensive pleasure, satisfaction, joy, happiness and all that results from righteousness and God's grace.

God is real. He can be known. You only cheat yourself by giving what you call reasons, and are nothing more than excuses. There's an old saying:
                        an excuse is nothing more than a skin of reason, over a skeleton of lies.

Comment

Working...
                        X