X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promethean
    started a topic Altruism: It's evolution

Altruism: It's evolution

Religion often takes credit for altruism in humans but throughout history natural philosophers and then scientists have noted self-less behavior in nonhuman animals.
    There are many ways to look at altruism from an evolutionary perspective, many of them described in this open access primer. One I don't often read about is the honest signal; looking at at altruism is as an honest signal of such superior fitness that you can afford to spend resources on another.

"After so much progress with kin selection, it seems today difficult to conceive that helping behaviour among relatives could ever have been viewed as a challenge to Darwinism. The appearance of altruism was based on sloppy reasoning, such as ignoring inclusive fitness effects."

Altruism

Altruistic actions are generally seen as ‘noble’. Yet some ‘lowly’ organisms are apt to match the most heroic human acts of devotion and self-sacrifice. To use a widely-quoted example, consider Dicrocoelium dendriticum, also known as brainworm. These parasites spend some of their stages in the innards of cows, exit in the feces and, in the form of cercaria, are eaten by ants a few stages later. Once ingested, a gang of cercaria will break through the ant's stomach wall. One of them makes it to the brain of the ant, and causes it to climb on the tips of grass blades, thus exposing itself to be taken up by the grazing cattle. The other cercaria form cysts in the ant's body, ready to pursue their life-cycle within the cow that swallows them. But the one who made it to the brain — the ‘brainworm’ — dies without leaving offspring. It has effectively sacrificed itself for the survival of its gang. In humans, comparable feats would be the stuff of epic poetry.
    Small wonder that evolutionary biologists feel challenged by such behaviour and see it as a high priority aim ‘to take the altruism out of altruism’. To begin this task, they define the term ‘altruism’ in purely Darwinian terms, devoid of any moralistic undertones. An action performed by individual A and affecting individual B is said to be altruistic if it increases the fitness — the reproductive success — of the recipient B, and decreases the fitness of A. In this context, one may as well give names to the other possible scenarios: if the action increases the fitness of both A and B, one speaks of cooperation; of spite, if it decreases both fitnesses; and of selfishness if A's fitness is enhanced and B's fitness diminished. Both altruistic and spiteful traits lower the reproductive success of their bearers and seem at first inconsistent with the action of natural selection. Yet they abound.

• D Laurier
    replied
    Originally posted by marke View Post

It is very funny, but subtle.
    It is pointless and irrelevant.

Leave a comment:

• marke
    replied
    Originally posted by D Laurier View Post

And this crap again.
    Why do you keep posting this video?
    It is very funny, but subtle.

Leave a comment:

• Promethean
    replied
    Originally posted by Nouveau View Post

Has evo applied for Junior college?
    Has creo passed primary?

Leave a comment:

• Nouveau
    replied
    Originally posted by Promethean View Post

Which is more than a creo dropout who pretends to have multiple advance degrees
    Has evo applied for Junior college?

Leave a comment:

• Promethean
    replied

He has an MBA lol
    Which is more than a creo dropout who pretends to have multiple advance degrees

Leave a comment:

• AV1611VET
    replied

He has an MBA lol
    Ouch!

Leave a comment:

• Nouveau
    replied
    Originally posted by Promethean View Post

Ignored. Reason: Unintelligible, off topic
    no science

Leave a comment:

• Promethean
    replied
    Altruism is a mental construct.
    Ignored. Reason: Unintelligible, off topic

Leave a comment:

• Nouveau
    replied
    Originally posted by AV1611VET View Post
    Then how did Frances Kelsey get it further tested?

It must not have been blocked too hard.

And for the record, the Internet doesn't always keep everything available for viewing, else I would be able to still watch one of my favorite videos.

I'll say this though:

They do however have one of my favorites still playing:

He has an MBA lol

Leave a comment:

• D Laurier
    replied
    By not being under German or British rule.
    In those days, America still had safety standards for drugs. Germany had none.
    German advertising circumvented British safety rules, which were poorly enforced due to war time funding cuts.
    The result was a tragedy that could have been prevented if Germany had any scientists willing to risk their careers by speaking out.
    Alas, they were all terrified of being accused of being unreconstructed Nazis. Many had in fact participated in use of forced human test subjects during the Nazi era.
    They all kept their heads down to protect themselves from exposure or accusation.
    The fact that half the British upper nobility had invested in rebuilding the German pharmaceuticals industry, and wanted to prevent a scandal.... Just made things worse.

Only by the house of lords. At the time, the only block more solid was a military trench line with artillery support.

And for the record, the Internet doesn't always keep everything available for viewing, else I would be able to still watch one of my favorite videos.
    If they were ever digitized and posted online, they exist somewhere.

I'll say this though:
    ok....

ok...

And this crap again.
    Why do you keep posting this video?

Leave a comment:

• Nouveau
    replied

So a journalism student then. Got it.
    A Yale student is NOT automaticaly qualified to grasp biology.
    A Yale JOURNALISM student is a perfect example of just that problem.

People camped outside of college are not qualified to do academic testing.

Leave a comment:

• D Laurier
    replied
    Well maybe this first-year Yale student should have checked with her mathematics department before posting something so easily spotted as "an abyss of ignorance" ... ya think?
    Not at all.
    She should have checked with the biology department, not the mathematics department.
    But that would require going to another school.

I think, in this case, I'll just go with what the Yale student said, over what a marketing consultant said.
    So a journalism student then. Got it.
    A Yale student is NOT automaticaly qualified to grasp biology.
    A Yale JOURNALISM student is a perfect example of just that problem.

No offense to HRG.
    ok...

Would you ask Betty Crocker for advice on what grade of gasoline is best for your truck?
    Of course not. Alas, you are doing just that. Asking Lois Lane's assistant for advice on behavioural biology.
    You have picked a first year JOURNALISM student, as your authority on a scientific field that she has ZERO training in.

Leave a comment:

• Nouveau
    replied
    Altruism is a mental construct.

Leave a comment:

• AV1611VET
    replied
    The fact that greedy corporate investors blocked efforts by scientist to extend testing on the drug Thalidomide, in order to start selling for profit sooner, has ziltch to do with the internet preserving everything.

I'll say this though:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X