Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D Laurier View Post
    So back to reality.
    So what can we do to help Joey's dad see his error, so he won't make it again?
    THE BIBLE SAYS IT, THAT SETTLES IT.

Comment

Originally posted by AV1611VET View Post
      I'm making up this fake conversation between my son and myself to show how I view things:

AV JR: Daddy, do unicorns exist?
      AV VET: What does the Bible say?
      Junior: But do they exist today?
      VET: I doubt it. They probably went extinct for awhile.
      Junior: Joey's dad says they're probably hippopotamuses or something.
      VET: Joey's dad can't spell, can he?
      Junior: What do you mean?
      VET: Spell "unicorn".
      Junior: U N I C O R N
      VET: Now spell "hippopotamus".
      Junior: Okay, I see what you mean.
      VET: Who named the hippopotamuses in the Bible?
      Junior: Adam.
      VET: And who named the Unicorns in the Bible?
      VET: Good job. Now go play.

Your thoughts?
      Is it possible that the flood that Noah experienced made the unicorn extinct?
      "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

" It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

Comment

Originally posted by inertia View Post
        Is it possible that the flood that Noah experienced made the unicorn extinct?
        I don't think so, since unicorns are mentioned well after the Flood.

Numbers 23:22 God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.

Numbers 24:8 God brought him forth out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn: he shall eat up the nations his enemies, and shall break their bones, and pierce them through with his arrows.

Deuteronomy 33:17 His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

Job 39:9 Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?

Job 39:10 Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?

Psalm 29:6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.

Psalm 92:10 But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

Isaiah 34:7 And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

Comment

So what can we do to help Joey's dad see his error, so he won't make it again?
          point out that it is all just a silly story, made up by ignorant nomadic tribesmen.
          When evil is powerful, good men are silenced.

Comment

I'm making up this fake conversation between my son and myself to show how I view things:

AV JR: Daddy, do unicorns exist?
            AV VET: What does the Bible say?
            Junior: But do they exist today?
            VET: I doubt it. They probably went extinct for awhile.
            Junior: Joey's dad says they're probably hippopotamuses or something.
            VET: Joey's dad can't spell, can he?
            Junior: What do you mean?
            VET: Spell "unicorn".
            Junior: U N I C O R N
            VET: Now spell "hippopotamus".
            Junior: Okay, I see what you mean.
            VET: Who named the hippopotamuses in the Bible?
            VET: And who named the Unicorns in the Bible?
            VET: Good job. Now go play.

Your thoughts?
            Excellent prep for a career ditchdigger...

Comment

Originally posted by cloudsrider View Post
              Excellent prep for a career ditchdigger...
              He's going to be a jitney transport operator like his dad.

And the retirement is out of this world!

Comment

That big?

Then had rhinoceroses walk past him, while he named them.
                Then unicorns walked pst Adam...Adam said "another horse?" Whats that protruding from your forehead?

Comment

Originally posted by CrowCross View Post
                  Then unicorns walked pst Adam...Adam said "another horse?" Whats that protruding from your forehead?
                  LOL

I don't think unicorns looked anything like Hallmark portrays them.

Just like the cherub.

A cherub is not a cute little baby, posing for Hallmark cards.

A cherub is an elite fighting angel.

Comment

LOL

I don't think unicorns looked anything like Hallmark portrays them.

Just like the cherub.

A cherub is not a cute little baby, posing for Hallmark cards.

A cherub is an elite fighting angel.
                    I'm not an unicorn expert. But I did find this.

Comment

Originally posted by CrowCross View Post
                      I'm not an unicorn expert. But I did find this.
                      The thing with folklore, myth, and other whatnot is simply this:

In folklore, myths, and whatnots, the object of the lore is either made up from scratch (i.e., a figment of one's imagination), or it takes valid objects (e.g., cherubs, unicorns, satyrs) and reduces them to something they are not.

Thus the unicorn, probably some type of super ox, becomes a horse with a horn growing out of its head.

Jewish farmers had mules at their disposal, which could do the work of several people at once.

If they could afford it, they had an ox, which could do the work of about two mules at once.

But if they had a unicorn ... well ... they could plow their fields in no time.

A unicorn is no more a horse than a car is a golf cart.

Academia perpetuates myth at the expense of the real thing.

Comment

The thing with folklore, myth, and other whatnot is simply this:

In folklore, myths, and whatnots, the object of the lore is either made up from scratch (i.e., a figment of one's imagination), or it takes valid objects (e.g., cherubs, unicorns, satyrs) and reduces them to something they are not.

Thus the unicorn, probably some type of super ox, becomes a horse with a horn growing out of its head.

Jewish farmers had mules at their disposal, which could do the work of several people at once.

If they could afford it, they had an ox, which could do the work of about two mules at once.

A unicorn is no more a horse than a car is a golf cart.

Just imagine if they used a deer. They could accomplish much, much more. Peronally I'd call the deer.... John.

Comment

Originally posted by crowcross View Post

but if they had a unicorn ... Well ... They could plow their fields in no time.

just imagine if they used a deer. They could accomplish much, much more. Peronally i'd call the deer.... John.
                          lol

Comment

Yah, academia perpetuates unicorns.

Happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by barchan View Post
                              Yah, academia perpetuates unicorns.

Happens all the time.
                              I said "perpetuates," not "advertises."

Comment

I said "perpetuates," not "advertises."
                                Yah, I did too. I always read about unicorns in academic articles.

Comment

Working...
                                X