Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Fake Conversation on Unicorns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barchan View Post
    Yah, I did too. I always read about unicorns in academic articles.
    Please don't play innocent with me, barchan.

I'm not buying it.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'd surmise you're right up there with the rest of academia interpreting a unicorn as a narwhal, or rhinoceros, or mythical horned horse, or anything but what it is:

A now-extinct animal.

Academia won't even consider a unicorn a "cryptid," will it?

After all, that would give a shout-out to the Bible, wouldn't it?
    THE BIBLE SAYS IT, THAT SETTLES IT.

Comment

Originally posted by AV1611VET View Post

I'm not buying it.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'd surmise you're right up there with the rest of academia interpreting a unicorn as a narwhal, or rhinoceros, or mythical horned horse, or anything but what it is:

A now-extinct animal.

I find it kind of fruitless to speculate about creatures that are not shown to have ever existed.

And I wouldn't consider it to be a burning issue to anyone in academia.

Comment

I find it kind of fruitless to speculate about creatures that are not shown to have ever existed.

I'm just wondering how many times grave robbers have dug one up and attributed it to an ox's common ancestor?

Comment

I'm just wondering how many times grave robbers have dug one up and attributed it to an ox's common ancestor?
          I have no idea what you are trying to say. One post, it's academicians and the next it's grave robbers ....

I'm just wondering when you might be able to focus on a single train of thought.

Comment

I have no idea what you are trying to say. One post, it's academicians and the next it's grave robbers ....

I'm just wondering when you might be able to focus on a single train of thought.
            "Grave robbers" is my term for paleoarcheologists.

And I'm on record saying that Neanderthals and Cro-magnons were human beings at one time, until God punished them with a bone-altering disease.

So if grave... if paleoarchaeologists dug one up, they would say it is an ancestor of modern man.

Applying that logic to the unicorn, I believe they have unicorn fossils, only they think they are the ancestor of the ox.

In Genesis 1, God created the unicorn here, and the ox over there.

They both lived at the same time.

Comment

Ya ... well ... the Bible is full of creatures you'd find fruitless to speculate about.

Straw-eating lions, unicorns, satyrs, four-legged locusts, behemoths, leviathans, dragons, cud-eating hares, angels, and one or two more I can't remember.

That's enough to keep academia in denial until the Rapture, isn't it?

Comment

Neat.

I wouldn't be too sure.

God's amanuenses lived on three continents, you know.

And Noah would have seen them on his Ark.

So any academian telling my son a unicorn is a rhinoceros is wrong.
                They weren't allowed on the ark. They kept poking holes in it.

Wow it took until post 12 for an academian to raise it's head.
                I was quite surprised that Joey's dad wasn't accused of being an academian..

Comment

Actually the ivory towers of academia are made from Unicorn horns.

Comment

Like the fossil remains of billions of intermediary links between species that should be in the fossil record but are not.
                    I am not a NPB-Onlyist (No Perfect Bible Onlyist), nor a NA/UBS-Onlyist. Marke

If this book be not infallible, where shall we find infallibility? We have given up the Pope, for he has blundered often and terribly; but we shall not set up instead of him a horde of little popelings fresh from college. C. H. Spurgeon

For that Revised Version I have but little care as a general rule, holding it to be by no means an improvement upon our common Authorized Version. C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

The thing with folklore, myth, and other whatnot is simply this:
                      yes.....

In folklore, myths, and whatnots, the object of the lore is either made up from scratch (i.e., a figment of one's imagination), or it takes valid objects (e.g., cherubs, unicorns, satyrs) and reduces them to something they are not.
                      So which of those things exists?

Thus the unicorn, probably some type of super ox, becomes a horse with a horn growing out of its head.
                      Or it was made up from pure fantasy.

Jewish farmers had mules at their disposal, which could do the work of several people at once.
                      Jewish holy law was pretty hostile to farmers. It was a religion of herdsmen, who despised farmers.

If they could afford it, they had an ox, which could do the work of about two mules at once.
                      Or they had slaves do the farming. Or they raided farming cultures.

But if they had a unicorn ... well ... they could plow their fields in no time.
                      No. Not even close. If they had a unicorn, all their warriors would be dead, and all their virgins would be safe.

A unicorn is no more a horse than a car is a golf cart.
                      Indeed.
                      A unicorn is a composite creature, with the head of a horse, the body of a lion, and the legs of a goat

Academia perpetuates myth at the expense of the real thing.
                      Academia has nothing to do with it.
                      FOLK RELIGION created and perpetuated chimeras such as the unicorn.
                      Illiterate peasants, herdsmen, hunter/gatherers, and labourers. Not academia.
                      When evil is powerful, good men are silenced.

Comment

"Grave robbers" is my term for paleoarcheologists.
                        Yes. You do that a lot. Using the wrong word, or making up a new word.

And I'm on record saying that Neanderthals and Cro-magnons were human beings at one time, until God punished them with a bone-altering disease.
                        And you are wrong, as usual.
                        Neandertals were ALWAYS human beings.
                        Cro-Magnons were AND STILL ARE human beings.
                        Neither species punished with a bone altering disease.
                        You are a Cro-Magnon.
                        I am a Cro-Magnon.
                        Every living human being with ANY European ancesrors, is a Cro-Magnon.

So if grave... if paleoarchaeologists dug one up, they would say it is an ancestor of modern man.
                        Only if there was evidence do support such a claim.
                        A case in point, NO paleoarcheologist, has said that a Neandertal is an ancestor of modern man.

Applying that logic to the unicorn, I believe they have unicorn fossils, only they think they are the ancestor of the ox.
                        Ok. So you are wrong again.

In Genesis 1, God created the unicorn here, and the ox over there.
                        Thats nice.

They both lived at the same time.
                        Except an ox actualy exists.

Comment

About zero times

Comment

He isnt.
                            Dont make bizzare accusations AV

I'm not buying it.
                            You only buy fantasy and nonsense.
                            You wont buy flour in a famine. But you will buy magic beans

And since no part of academia has ever interpreted a unicorn as ANY OF THE ABOVE...

A now-extinct animal.
                            Or an entirely imaginary animal

No. Why should they?
                            It is a CHIMERA. An impossible creature, created by mythology.

Not even close.

There is NO SUCH THING AS unicorns.

Comment

Originally posted by marke View Post
                              Like the fossil remains of billions of intermediary links between species that should be in the fossil record but are not.
                              How many do you need? You have been shown hundreds (well, if you actually clicked on the links, which I'm pretty sure you didn't).

Comment

How many do you need? You have been shown hundreds (well, if you actually clicked on the links, which I'm pretty sure you didn't).
                                Hundreds of assumed intermediaries? What about the still missing billions which should be more plentiful in the fossil record than the remains of 'fully evolved' life forms?
                                I am not a NPB-Onlyist (No Perfect Bible Onlyist), nor a NA/UBS-Onlyist. Marke

If this book be not infallible, where shall we find infallibility? We have given up the Pope, for he has blundered often and terribly; but we shall not set up instead of him a horde of little popelings fresh from college. C. H. Spurgeon

For that Revised Version I have but little care as a general rule, holding it to be by no means an improvement upon our common Authorized Version. C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                                X