Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

Bright Evols?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bright Evols?

Bright Evols?

I laughed at this. Maybe you will too. Or maybe you think this bunk-bit is serious? What do you think? Anything? Anything at all? lol.

"Dogs' eyes evolve to appeal to humans." By Sean Coughlan. 18 June 2019.

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-48665618

IMO, one particularly jocular bit was this quickly "evolved" funny bunny:

“ … The findings, from UK and US researchers in anatomy and comparative psychology, show that the facial change has developed over thousands of years of dogs living alongside humans.
    Previous research has shown that dogs are more likely to use this “puppy eyes” expression when a human is looking at them - suggesting that it is a deliberate behaviour and intended for human consumption.
    Anatomist and report co-author, Professor Anne Burrows of Duquesne University in the US, says that in evolutionary terms the changes to dogs' facial muscles was "remarkably fast" and could be "directly linked to dogs' enhanced social interaction with humans".
    The findings, says Professor Bridget Waller of the University of Portsmouth, show "how important faces can be in capturing our attention, and how powerful facial expression can be in social interaction”… “

n>Maybe Lenski should be using dogs instead of E. coli in that famous LTEE! Oh, wait! Is this OP offensive? Too harsh? Gonna start preaching that I should be nicer in order to convert you to creos? lol!
    Mouser Larry Roy: "yippee ki yay"
    “... see the loonies in their cages… are they not witty… how much amusement they afford… ours is a human world, theirs is a bestial world… " Bedlam

Originally posted by noemail001 View Post
    Bright Evols?

I laughed at this. Maybe you will too. Or maybe you think this bunk-bit is serious? What do you think? Anything? Anything at all? lol.

“ … The findings, from UK and US researchers in anatomy and comparative psychology, show that the facial change has developed over thousands of years of dogs living alongside humans.
    Previous research has shown that dogs are more likely to use this “puppy eyes” expression when a human is looking at them - suggesting that it is a deliberate behaviour and intended for human consumption.
    Anatomist and report co-author, Professor Anne Burrows of Duquesne University in the US, says that in evolutionary terms the changes to dogs' facial muscles was "remarkably fast" and could be "directly linked to dogs' enhanced social interaction with humans".
    The findings, says Professor Bridget Waller of the University of Portsmouth, show "how important faces can be in capturing our attention, and how powerful facial expression can be in social interaction”… “

n>Maybe Lenski should be using dogs instead of E. coli in that famous LTEE! Oh, wait! Is this OP offensive? Too harsh? Gonna start preaching that I should be nicer in order to convert you to creos? lol!
    Hello noemail001!

Love that you dug this one up! Just fyi, you will catch more bees with honey and pre shaming your audience does not often lead to productive discussion.

Dogs are amazing. Most of the breeds we now recognize have been bred in the past 150 years. The concept that this same creature could develop means to communicate with humans is not really a stretch.

We are still expanding our understanding of consciousness, with some diligently and lovingly working to understand man's bestie. One aspect I found fascinating about this study was how these dogs reacted differently. Some were more excited when a stranger offered them food than when their person did.

We all the crust of this planet quickened by the light of the world. We spark, we digest and process dead plants and animals inside us, we fall into decay and feed the plants and animals around us, and continually change.
    I want to hear it from your lips;
    What's it worth shining for?

Rishloo - Scissorlips

Comment

Bright Evols?

Always easier to laugh than to learn.

Voting is a lot like driving...D to go forward, R to go backward.

Comment

Bright Evols?

So you equate a microscopic bacterium with a highly evolved mammal?
        Not too "bright".
        With all the conflicting religious beliefs in the world, they can’t all be right. But they can all be wrong.
        Herb Silverman.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiedave View Post
          So you equate a microscopic bacterium with a highly evolved mammal? Not too "bright".
          n>Maybe you do. Nobody else would be so _.
          “... see the loonies in their cages… are they not witty… how much amusement they afford… ours is a human world, theirs is a bestial world… " Bedlam

Comment

Then what are we to make of this comment of yours?
            Hmmmm?
            With all the conflicting religious beliefs in the world, they can’t all be right. But they can all be wrong.
            Herb Silverman.

Comment

AD>So you equate a microscopic bacterium with a highly evolved mammal? Not too "bright".

Then what are we to make of this comment of yours?

AD>Hmmmm?[/QUOTE]

n>Hilarious. Somehow your mind has my highlighted statement as me equating:

AD>So you equate a microscopic bacterium with a highly evolved mammal? Not too "bright".

n>Maybe you do. Nobody else would be so _. What I am actually doing -- most peeps might have figured this out -- contrasting them... not, as your joke says, "equating them". Oh, wait! Maybe you don't know the troubles Lenski's gang is having showing speciation after many generations? And maybe you failed to read the article in the OP? Did you not read this? " in evolutionary terms the changes to dogs' facial muscles was "remarkably fast" and could be "directly linked to dogs' enhanced social interaction with humans"." Now do you see the contrast? Slllllooooooooooooooooooow evol... so sllllooooooooooooowwwww nobody is showing it happening under lab conditions, are they? The article contrasted that. Please read before spitting and embarrassing smart and honest evol... if there ever was such a species.

"Very entertaining, that stuff is." Yoda

Comment

AD>Hmmmm?

n>Maybe you do. Nobody else would be so _. What I am actually doing -- most peeps might have figured this out -- contrasting them... not, as your joke says, "equating them". Oh, wait! Maybe you don't know the troubles Lenski's gang is having showing speciation after many generations? And maybe you failed to read the article in the OP? Did you not read this? " in evolutionary terms the changes to dogs' facial muscles was "remarkably fast" and could be "directly linked to dogs' enhanced social interaction with humans"." Now do you see the contrast? Slllllooooooooooooooooooow evol... so sllllooooooooooooowwwww nobody is showing it happening under lab conditions, are they? The article contrasted that. Please read before spitting and embarrassing smart and honest evol... if there ever was such a species.

"Very entertaining, that stuff is." Yoda
                A lot of bluster and posturing (nothing new there) and contrasting is just another term for comparing in this instance.
                Bacteria are just a tad different to dogs.
                I await further squirming and posturing.
                Go.
                Herb Silverman.

Comment

AD>Then what are we to make of this comment of yours?

AD>Hmmmm?

n>Maybe you do. Nobody else would be so _. What I am actually doing -- most peeps might have figured this out -- contrasting them... not, as your joke says, "equating them". Oh, wait! Maybe you don't know the troubles Lenski's gang is having showing speciation after many generations? And maybe you failed to read the article in the OP? Did you not read this? " in evolutionary terms the changes to dogs' facial muscles was "remarkably fast" and could be "directly linked to dogs' enhanced social interaction with humans"." Now do you see the contrast? Slllllooooooooooooooooooow evol... so sllllooooooooooooowwwww nobody is showing it happening under lab conditions, are they? The article contrasted that. Please read before spitting and embarrassing smart and honest evol... if there ever was such a species. "Very entertaining, that stuff is." Yoda

A lot of bluster and posturing (nothing new there) and contrasting is just another term for comparing in this instance.
                  Bacteria are just a tad different to dogs. I await further squirming and posturing. Go.
                  n>Hilarious. Now atheists have magically, suddenly, made "contrast" synonymous to "comparison". Wow. Ever since I remember they have always been antonyms***. wow. Maybe down under they are turned inside down and POOF! Shazam! all antonyms are now synonyms! wow. Or maybe in an atheist mind things do whatever needs done now matter...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antonym

Comment

... "Dogs' eyes evolve to appeal to humans." By Sean Coughlan. 18 June 2019.

Originally posted by Bluemayskye View Post

Hello noemail001!
                    Love that you dug this one up! Just fyi, you will catch more bees with honey and pre shaming your audience does not often lead to productive discussion.
                    Dogs are amazing. Most of the breeds we now recognize have been [URL="https://www.businessinsider.com/dog-breeds-victorian-england-origins-2016-2"]bred in the past 150 years. The concept that this same creature could develop means to communicate with humans is not really a stretch.
                    We are still expanding our understanding of consciousness, with some diligently and lovingly working to understand man's... One aspect I found fascinating about this study was how these dogs reacted differently. Some were more excited when a stranger offered them food than when their person did.
                    We all the crust of this planet quickened by the light of the world. We spark, we digest and process dead plants and animals inside us, we fall into decay and feed the plants and animals around us, and continually change.
                    n>1) About this: "Just fyi, you will catch more bees with honey and pre shaming your audience does not often lead to productive discussion." Look in a mirror and preach that. For all your talk about honey, you are one of the worst abusers of truth and honesty. You have repeatedly shown the way out extremes you will take.
                    2) About your "pre shaming". That is a scream. In case you missed it, this is CARM. Know what the "C" stands for? Look it up sometime. People like you come here by the dozens to blast away and the Bible, Christians, and Christianity -- like you do. Now you preach at me about pre shaming. Again, take your bunk to the mirror. I reject what you try to sell.
                    3) My perspective is way different than yours. Your "honey" is different than mine. The sweetest, best "honey" I know is truth and reality. Have some sometime.
                    4) About your spin on the article in my OP. If you'd bothered to read it carefully, you will maybe see that you went a very direction than the article did. I will speak to you some honey: The article is about evolution. Look again. You either got confused or you are up to some bitter tasting shenanigans. You are trying -- maybe -- to take the stench off evol by talking about breeding. Surely you know the difference, right? That kinda reminds me of a bloke here a long time ago. I had asked for someone to show speciation happening. That poor feller -- now long gone -- used your dog breeding example as speciation... that those many breeds are species. (To his/her credit, he/she later admitted the error.) Surely you are not trying to pull that, right? Surely. Hope you like the honey. Or don't.

Comment

HAH! You have to love a Creo complaining about "Bright Evols" when the Creo has been posting for over 9 years and still hasn't figured out how to use the quote function.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim H View Post
                        HAH! You have to love a Creo complaining about "Bright Evols" when the Creo has been posting for over 9 years and still hasn't figured out how to use the quote function.
                        The self pawning is so amusing to behold and so easy to farm from this one.
                        Herb Silverman.

Comment

n>1) Ironic. The OP is about dogs evolving. Yet you show the opposite for atheists like yourself. Instead of developing your debate/arguments you are devolving into, "how to use the quote function". Maybe that is all atheists are left with after exposing their pathetic ideas that lose, and brings doubt about atheism. Maybe all you peeps have not is deflect and run?
                          2) Ironic also in that since you peeps lose everything, at least you use the quote function the way atheists like. Congrats.
                          3) I sure hope you never figure out that your proper quote function does not help you much in winning arguments, or getting smarter, or avoiding shame, or keeping records straight, or a variety of search functions, or many other goodies. At least atheists can fade away knowing they do quotes the way they like them. Great satisfaction, that, no doubt, for the brightest of the brights.
                          4) About my complaining about bright evols. I guess I've not be as clear as I want. Allow me to clarify. I love evols to spout and sprout. Keep it up. Who knows, maybe one of you brights can actually solve the stupid dilemma made by those stupid peeps I quoted -- not like atheists quote, of course -- in the OP.
                          5) If you quote the quotes to suit you, then would you address the stupid dilemma those idiots got themselves into... you know... the issues in the OP? If not, I understand your limitations, so continue crying about the quote function... that shows sensitivity so peeps might forget the atheist atrocities over the years.

Comment

Bright Evols?
                            It's a completely valid line of inquiry. Domestic dogs come from wild wolves. I was just at the zoo last week where we could almost pet the wolves.
                            I've lived with dogs my entire life, and know how they look and move. Dogs do come from wolves.
                            Nothing is funnier than watching my Cav-a-poodle howling at the moon like his ancestors.

And because all dogs are artificially selected for breeding, a feature like "puppy eyes"
                            if likely to be popular. If you've seen the cold stare of a wolf, it's something I would breed out if possible.

- Do for others as you would want them to do for you: this is the foundation of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets. -

Comment

Ad hominem (Latin for "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a falstaffian argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.
                              - Do for others as you would want them to do for you: this is the foundation of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets. -

Comment

Working...
                              X