Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

BEAUTIFUL - Beautiful patterns in Math

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by inertia View Post

Since Euler did not place specific boundary conditions on it, I'll hold off from here.

I'm convinced of it's divergence based on L'Hopital's rule as shown above. Maybe Euler was trying to get his students to think instead of appealing to his authority.

Maybe the following rearrangement will make this preposterous statement easier to visualize:

...+ 1/x3 + 1/x2 + 1/x = - ( 1 + x + x2 + x3 +...)

The limit x --> infinity on the rhs is -(infinity) by visual inspection alone. On the lhs the limit x --> infinity is zero by visual inspection too.

So, saying zero is equal to infinity is well...(fill in the blank )
    I would sure like to look at it in your book. But unfortunately the link that you gave me only directs me to where I might purchase the book.

Comment

Originally posted by cisco qid View Post

I would sure like to look at it in your book. But unfortunately the link that you gave me only directs me to where I might purchase the book.
      Here you go: https://avionicsengineering.files.wo...-finney-9e.pdf

Comment

Here is the quote from a later version: https://books.google.com/books?id=mX...ts+limitations
        "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge." ( Psalm 19:1-2 )

Comment

Originally posted by Pragmatic View Post

When I examine graphs that contain a series like (1/xn + 1/xn+1...) if the n is odd then the graph indicates that y = -1 when x = -1. If n is even then y = 0 when x = -1. While I am unsure how to prove this, the trend I see indicates that if (x + x2...) = 0 then you would be left with (-1) + 1 + (0) = 0. I am no mathematician so I am ready to be corrected on this.
          Interesting

For the series in question ...+ 1/x3 + 1/x2 + 1/x +1 + x + x2 + x3 +... = 0 , it states that any x-value you choose will always sum to zero. If it is correct, then any x you choose should always provide a y =0, always.

A "p series test" helps for part of the series*.

For the form: ...+ 1/xp + 1/xp + 1/x +1 ..., it will always converge if p > 1 and will diverge if p is less than or equal to 1. The p-term for 1/x is 1.

Cisco qid's correct assessment of a power series like: 1 + x + x2 + x3 +..., is useful where rules for domain provide boundary conditions.

Example: 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 +..., with a domain of (-1 < x < 1) works.

However, for the series in question neither of these approaches is adequate to analyze its behavior. Your result using n is odd or even is interesting, but I believe that it does not provide enough information. Maybe I will try a graphical approach too.

* See: https://math.oregonstate.edu/home/pr.../p-series.html
          Last edited by inertia; 01-30-18, 03:13 PM.
          "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge." ( Psalm 19:1-2 )

Comment

Interesting

For the series in question ...+ 1/x3 + 1/x2 + 1/x +1 + x + x2 + x3 +... = 0 , it states that any x-value you choose will always sum to zero. If it is correct, then any x you choose should always provide a y =0, always.

A "p series test" helps for part of the series*.

For the form: ...+ 1/xp + 1/xp + 1/x +1 ..., it will always converge if p > 1 and will diverge if p is less than or equal to 1. The p-term for 1/x is 1.

Cisco qid's correct assessment of a power series like: 1 + x + x2 + x3 +..., is useful where rules for domain provide boundary conditions.

Example: 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 +..., with a domain of (-1 < x < 1) works.

However, for the series in question neither of these approaches is adequate to analyze its behavior. Your result using n is odd or even is interesting, but I believe that it does not provide enough information. Maybe I will try a graphical approach too.

* See: https://math.oregonstate.edu/home/pr.../p-series.html
            Not to beat a dead horse to death but if you want to see something really weird - you can actually derive the expression,

...+ 1/x3 + 1/x2 + 1/x +1 + x + x2 + x3 +... = 0, as follows:

Start with the expression:

S = 1/x + 1/x2 + 1/x3

Then

S = 1/x(1 + 1/x + 1/x2 + ) = 1/x(1 + S) = 1/x + S/x

or

S - S/x = 1/x => S = 1/(x 1) = -1/(1-x) = - (1 + x + x2 + x3 ....) = 1/x + 1/x2 + 1/x3

And we get out result which we know is false since,

1/x + 1/x2 + 1/x3 = 1/(x 1) can't be true because x = 0 is not allowed on the LHS while it is allowed on the RHS.

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse to death but if you want to see something really weird - you can actually derive the expression,

S = 1/x + 1/x2 + 1/x3

Then

S = 1/x(1 + 1/x + 1/x2 + …) = 1/x(1 + S) = 1/x + S/x

or

S - S/x = 1/x => S = 1/(x – 1) = -1/(1-x) = - (1 + x + x2 + x3 ....) = 1/x + 1/x2 + 1/x3

1/x + 1/x2 + 1/x3 … = 1/(x – 1) can't be true because x = 0 is not allowed on the LHS while it is allowed on the RHS.
              It is undefined but if you graph the left (make the right y) then the trend is that if n is odd in (1/x​​​​​​n + 1/x n+1+...) then x approaches -1 as y ​​​approaches -1.

If the trend is true then we simply show that (x + x2 + x3 ....) is 0 when x is -1 and we are left via substitution with (0 + 1 - 1 = 0).

I am no mathematician so if you find an error above then keep that in mind.
              If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him. - Voltaire

Comment

S = 1/x + 1/x2 + 1/x3

Then

or

S - S/x = 1/x => S = 1/(x – 1) = -1/(1-x) = - (1 + x + x2 + x3 ....) = 1/x + 1/x2 + 1/x3

1/x + 1/x2 + 1/x3 … = 1/(x – 1) can't be true because x = 0 is not allowed on the LHS while it is allowed on the RHS.
                Nice!

Heisenberg

Comment

It is undefined but if you graph the left (make the right y) then the trend is that if n is odd in (1/x​​​​​​n + 1/x n+1+...) then x approaches -1 as y ​​​approaches -1.

If the trend is true then we simply show that (x + x2 + x3 ....) is 0 when x is -1 and we are left via substitution with (0 + 1 - 1 = 0).

I know I can't find an error because I don't know how to graph and infinite series.

Comment

S = 1/x + 1/x2 + 1/x3

Then

or

That's in effect what I wrote several posts ago. But I won't charge you franchise fees

Regards, HRG.

"The universe doesn't care what happens to its inhabitants, but its inhabitants do" (Tyrrho).

Comment

Originally posted by HRG View Post

That's in effect what I wrote several posts ago. But I won't charge you franchise fees

What you stated was Sx = S and since x is arbitrary S must be zero, which we all now know is false, while I derived the original series. Charging for someone else's intellectual property is copyright infringement.
                      Last edited by cisco qid; 02-12-18, 06:31 PM.

Comment

What you stated was Sx = S and since x is arbitrary S must be zero, which we all now know is false, while I derived the original series. Charging for someone else's intellectual property is copyright infringement.
                        If x is arbitrary (i.e. a variable), then we can insert 4 for X. From 4S = S we can infer that S = 0. Thus it's you who infringed my intellectual property.
                        Regards, HRG.

"The universe doesn't care what happens to its inhabitants, but its inhabitants do" (Tyrrho).

Comment

Originally posted by HRG View Post

If x is arbitrary (i.e. a variable), then we can insert 4 for X. From 4S = S we can infer that S = 0. Thus it's you who infringed my intellectual property.
                          I believe Euler would have objected since he stated it first.

Comment

When I examine graphs that contain a series like (1/xn + 1/xn+1...) if the n is odd then the graph indicates that y = -1 when x = -1. If n is even then y = 0 when x = -1. While I am unsure how to prove this, the trend I see indicates that if (x + x2...) = 0 then you would be left with (-1) + 1 + (0) = 0. I am no mathematician so I am ready to be corrected on this.
                            Here is what I get when modeled by symbolic Matlab up to the tenth power:

sum(1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + x^5+ x^6 + x^7 + x^8 + x^9 + x^10+ 1/x + 1/x^2 + 1/x^3 + 1/x^4 + 1/x^5 + 1/x^6 + 1/x^7 + 1/x^8 + 1/x^9 + 1/x^10,x=1..infinity )

infinity

Trying again starting at zero:

sum(1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + x^5+ x^6 + x^7 + x^8 + x^9 + x^10+ 1/x + 1/x^2 + 1/x^3 + 1/x^4 + 1/x^5 + 1/x^6 + 1/x^7 + 1/x^8 + 1/x^9 + 1/x^10,x=0..infinity )

infinity

Trying again from - infinity to + infinity

sum(1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + x^5+ x^6 + x^7 + x^8 + x^9 + x^10+ 1/x + 1/x^2 + 1/x^3 + 1/x^4 + 1/x^5 + 1/x^6 + 1/x^7 + 1/x^8 + 1/x^9 + 1/x^10,x=-infinity..infinity )

infinity

Heisenberg

Comment

Here is what I get when modeled by symbolic Matlab up to the tenth power:

sum(1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + x^5+ x^6 + x^7 + x^8 + x^9 + x^10+ 1/x + 1/x^2 + 1/x^3 + 1/x^4 + 1/x^5 + 1/x^6 + 1/x^7 + 1/x^8 + 1/x^9 + 1/x^10,x=1..infinity )

infinity
                              I also found this result interesting: From x = -500 to 500

sum(1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + x^5+ x^6 + x^7 + x^8 + x^9 + x^10+ 1/x + 1/x^2 + 1/x^3 + 1/x^4 + 1/x^5 + 1/x^6 + 1/x^7 + 1/x^8 + 1/x^9 + 1/x^10,x = -500..500)
                              Error: Singularity. [sum::sum]

This next one makes sense: From x = -1 to 1

sum(1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + x^4 + x^5+ x^6 + x^7 + x^8 + x^9 + x^10+ 1/x + 1/x^2 + 1/x^3 + 1/x^4 + 1/x^5 + 1/x^6 + 1/x^7 + 1/x^8 + 1/x^9 + 1/x^10,x = -1..1)
                              Error: Division by zero. [_power]
                              Evaluating: sum::sum

Getting a result that = 0 was...err...difficult indeed. As expected....

Heisenberg

Comment

Here is what I get when I graph the equation:

It is easy to see why the equation can never provide a sum equaling zero. Thanks for the graphing idea.

Heisenberg

Comment

Working...
                                X