Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

What's that time stuff ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by inertia View Post

If this model reflected objective reality then time travel should be trivial since the difference between past, present, and the future is an illusion. To this end, the late Stephen Hawking conducted an experiment where invitations were sent for future recipients. "You are cordially invited to a reception for Time Travelers," the invitation read.

Nobody came to the party at the designated time.
    If this model reflected objective reality then time travel should be trivial since the difference between past, present, and the future is an illusion. To this end, the late Stephen Hawking conducted an experiment where invitations were sent for future recipients. "You are cordially invited to a reception for Time Travelers," the invitation read.

Nobody came to the party at the designated time.[/QUOTE]

The difference between past, present, and future IS an illusion. Einstein realized this, and not just as a statement of consolation for the passing of his friend Michele Besso.
    "Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

The purpose of the link was to show that even your peers, or at least one of them, has recognized that only in this instantaneous instant is there any possible connection with any and all experience, objective, subjective, or otherwise.

Here's another regarding the above illusion that you postulate and an explanation of how real that illusion actually is.

http://www.physics-astronomy.com/201...l#.WwMo4kgvyM9

I understand your responses are from what you understand to be definitions for objective physical reality, but you quoted Jeremiah 33:25! You brought to this thread that God established the laws of nature.
    Certainly science is recognizing some of these at their fringe, without any credit to God. I am having difficulty understanding how you are a believer, yet reference the scientific definition of things as dominant to God's. Or is my assumption about your beliefs in error. That would solve my dilemma!

Cheers Inertia.
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Justification of the model resides in its applicability and usefulness on the basis of quantifiable measurements. Any relation to subjective reality is intuitive. It's also difficult to provide consistent measurements for comparison to a "reality" that resides only within the mind .

Difficult? How about impossible. How does "usefulness on the basis of quantifiable measurements trump the obvious? What is wrong with intuition? How can one obtain any measurement of a subjective reality? None of this however invalidates the direct evidence each and everyone of us has, whether we acknowledge it or not, that Observation creates experience only in this instant. I have asked, but you have not yet answered how you can have any experience, objective or otherwise, at any time except this present instant? Especially experience of physical reality. Again, you cannot employ any of the five physical senses except "right now". I know you do not accept that there is a "now" in physics, but the direct evidence is not only is there a "now" but there can only ever be a "now". Please, show me how a millisecond ago is as real now as it was then. Not referring to the memory of a millisecond ago, but the actual physical experience. Actually, this distinction is mute since neither can be experienced except right now. This is so blatantly obvious as well.

Physics occurs whether or not a detector is present. In this case the impact of a tree will produce longitudinal waves (sound) within the air because fixed laws require it to be so -independent- of the detection of the waves.

How do you know what is unknowable? How can you state a thing occurs without awareness of it?

Yes - time is not a restriction for God. In fact, the premise that God views time differently than we do is a dependable position.

Agreed, especially since God created "time", as well as light, which you know has no time experience at 186,000 MPS.

Yes - God has knowledge and wisdom far beyond ours. After all, He created the universe.

Then why are you not willing to consider the potential for knowledge and wisdom contradictory to science?

Even so we are directed to get understanding even if it costs all we have.

" The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Cherish her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you. She will give you a garland to grace your head and present you with a glorious crown. " ( Proverbs 4: 7-9 )
      [/QUOTE]

You are equating wisdom from this scripture to mean scientific understanding, which doesn't acknowledge God in any way shape or form?

1Corinthians 2:14-But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Spiritually discerned Inertia. No, there are no measurements there. Nothing there is useful on the basis of quantifiable measurement, so obviously God's word has to be foolishness based on the quantifiable model.

My apology if I am being harsh, but I also think God has not gotten you full attention since we started this thread either!

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by RockyMidnight View Post
        ..The difference between past, present, and future IS an illusion. Einstein realized this, and not just as a statement of consolation for the passing of his friend Michele Besso.

"Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."...
        He said this because our equations do not reflect an arrow-of-time. Backward or forward, our equations simply don't provide temporal directionality. That said, motion through spacetime will make us disagree on time and the length of objects as Einstein's special relativity shows. The light-cone diagram provided in an earlier response is from Einstein's special relativity.

What's really cool is that there is more [as your link describes]. S = k*log(W)

Entropy and initial conditions contribute to time's irreversible direction. When coupled with our equations the temporal distinctions emerge even when subjectively analyzing a rock splash into a pool of water. Subjectively, the rock never reverses its direction with backward drops of water to completely recover the still section of the pond before the rock impacted its surface.

You know this is true without a technical physical analysis.

Originally posted by RockyMidnight View Post
        ..The purpose of the link was to show that even your peers, or at least one of them, has recognized that only in this instantaneous instant is there any possible connection with any and all experience, objective, subjective, or otherwise.
        Actually, the word used in the link (hosted by Dr. Brian Greene) was the word "moment". It was defined by stipulation as the specific tick of a clock for example. None of the hosts were being quantitative here.

..I understand your responses are from what you understand to be definitions for objective physical reality, but you quoted Jeremiah 33:25! You brought to this thread that God established the laws of nature...;
        Yes. The passage is relevant to our discussion. The laws are fixed and we now have an indication on how fixed is fixed too. It took us a while, but we have verified Jeremiah 33:25.

..Certainly science is recognizing some of these at their fringe, without any credit to God...
        There are scientists that do give credit to God.

...I am having difficulty understanding how you are a believer, yet reference the scientific definition of things as dominant to God's. Or is my assumption about your beliefs in error. That would solve my dilemma!..
        The accusation "dominant to God's" is untrue. Who told you this lie?

What's relevant to me in your statement above is that you recognized that I am a believer even when I never stated that I was a believer to you. Thanks! It's great to know that the Holy Spirit works through my words.

Jesus is my savior. He is the creator and Lord.

God's fingerprints are found within the universe and we are just beginning to comprehend His handiwork. I have reason to believe that science is a great tool and it helps me understand scripture. See: Psalm 19:1-2 written in blue below...
        Last edited by inertia; 05-22-18, 01:38 AM.
        "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

" It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

Comment

Before a discussion some facts* are in order:

1.) Time is slower at the center of the Earth.

2.) A second in time is: 9,912,631,770 periods of the transition between two hyperfine energy states in a Cesium 133 atom.

3.) Dinosaurs experienced 370 days per year instead of our current 365.25 days due to the moon's gravitational drag on Earth's orbit.

4.) The smallest amount of time is the Planck time. [ Example: During a -fast- blink of the eye, there are approximately five hundred and fifty thousand trillion, trillion, trillion Planck time units. ]

5.) There is no "now" in Physics. The fabric of the universe, spacetime, is closer to a fluid specified by coordinates and affected by gravity. Past, present, and future are a construction for our reference only.

6.) The Sun's light currently reaching us is eight minutes and twenty seconds old. From Proxima Centrauri is about four years old.

7.) Our perception of time seems shorter as one gets older. ( the oddball effect )

8.) The most precise clock is a strontium clock varying only a second in 15 billion years.

9.) The oldest known object in the universe is 13.1 billion years old. ( Dwarf Galaxy z8_GND_5296 )

10.) Next week your watch will be one second slow due to the Earth's spin deceleration. ( see the international earth rotation service )

Inertia

*Blog reference: Sci-techuniverse . blogspot . com /2016/01/13-facts-about-time-that-will-hurt-your.html
          - Time is a dimension, initiated at the Big Bang where the laws of physics break down, specified by coordinates we have assigned to it, coupled to entropy.

Spacetime has perceived fluid-like properties because entropy continues to increase.

Entropy never decreases. When we -rewind- time's coordinates understanding that the past, present, and future are on equal footing according to the laws of physics, decay isn't reversed because we simply change its coordinates. Ultimately the current physical universe is subject to the law of decay. The rate change of decay as a function of time is a property that cannot be avoided. It's hardwired into reality.
          Last edited by inertia; 05-22-18, 11:25 AM.
          "The exact sciences also start from the assumption that in the end it will always be possible to understand nature, even in every new field of experience, but that we make no a priori assumptions about the meaning of the word "understand"."

Heisenberg

" It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, and it is the glory of a king to search out a matter. " ( Proverbs 25:2 )

Comment

He said this because our equations do not reflect an arrow-of-time. Backward or forward, our equations simply don't provide temporal directionality. That said, motion through spacetime will make us disagree on time and the length of objects as Einstein's special relativity shows. The light-cone diagram provided in an earlier response is from Einstein's special relativity.

What about God's Equations then?

What's really cool is that there is more [as your link describes]. S = k*log(W)

Words cannot described how ecstatic I am that you found their definition of Entropy so "really cool!"

Entropy and initial conditions contribute to time's irreversible direction. When coupled with our equations the temporal distinctions emerge even when subjectively analyzing a rock splash into a pool of water. Subjectively, the rock never reverses its direction with backward drops of water to completely recover the still section of the pond before the rock impacted its surface.

You know this is true without a technical physical analysis.

You mean just like I know Scripture is true without a technical physical analysis.

Actually, the word used in the link (hosted by Dr. Brian Greene) was the word "moment". It was defined by stipulation as the specific tick of a clock for example. None of the hosts were being quantitative here.

Moment, present moment, this instant, instantaneous; what's the difference? How do you describe the indescribable?

Yes. The passage is relevant to our discussion. The laws are fixed and we now have an indication on how fixed is fixed too. It took us a while, but we have verified Jeremiah 33:25.

If you have verified Jeremiah 33:25, then why not 1Corinthians 2:14-But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. Again Inertia, Spiritually discerned. No, there are no measurements there. Nothing there is useful on the basis of quantifiable measurement, so obviously God's word has to be foolishness based on the quantifiable model.

There are scientists that do give credit to God.

I would greatly appreciate your references on this, especially any scientific papers published to this fact.

The accusation "dominant to God's" is untrue. Who told you this lie?

Who told me this lie? You did! All your responses to points I posted are based on scientific, quantitative formulas and analysis. Only two responses were scriptural. You have a predilection for answering or ignoring questions that do/do not involve scientific explanations. For example, a recurring point I presented is the fact that no experience can occur except in the indescribable now. Despite you own direct evidence of that, you cannot admit that it's a fact, because it's involves subjective experience and cannot be "measured". Yet, there is no objective experience without subjective experience. It's self evident and obvious, except when you insist on a conviction that what cannot be measured cannot be valid. You can't measure Hebrews 11;1-3 either, so is that also invalid since it depends upon faith and a subjective acceptance? Do you see my point here? It is not a criticism, but my observation of your replies..

What's relevant to me in your statement above is that you recognized that I am a believer even when I never stated that I was a believer to you. Thanks! It's great to know that the Holy Spirit works through my words.

Jesus is my savior. He is the creator and Lord.

God's fingerprints are found within the universe and we are just beginning to comprehend His handiwork. I have reason to believe that science is a great tool and it helps me understand scripture. See: Psalm 19:1-2 written in blue below...
            How interesting! There was a time when I thought scripture was adult fairy tail stuff. Science was to me was God. Yet, my study of science, along with some personal experiences kept slamming me into the Bible. I just couldn't seem to avoid these encounters no matter how much I wanted to and no matter much I tried. Finally I stopped to realize that whatever was going on was for a reason, and I began to very cautiously start looking into what I had so long dismissed. It was science all along that was leading me back to Christ! Go figure!

As for your following post,I have already seen you prerequisite of definitions!. As for watching metal rust, I'm afraid I do not see the point, as I have no objection to the process of Entropy in the physical experience. In fact we might consider it spiritual as well since Revelations is the Original version of Entropy!

Cheers Inertia!!!

Comment

How interesting! There was a time when I thought scripture was adult fairy tail stuff. Science was to me was God. Yet, my study of science, along with some personal experiences kept slamming me into the Bible. I just couldn't seem to avoid these encounters no matter how much I wanted to and no matter much I tried. Finally I stopped to realize that whatever was going on was for a reason, and I began to very cautiously start looking into what I had so long dismissed. It was science all along that was leading me back to Christ! Go figure!

As for your following post,I have already seen you prerequisite of definitions!. As for watching metal rust, I'm afraid I do not see the point, as I have no objection to the process of Entropy in the physical experience. In fact we might consider it spiritual as well since Revelations is the Original version of Entropy!

Cheers Inertia!!!
              What do you expect from a topic about time within a General science - Mathematics forum?

There are many unbelievers at CARM where 1 Corinthians 2:14 applies, but I am not one of them.

Note: One of the rules at CARM is to keep on topic within the forum and the opening post.

Heisenberg

Comment

• What do you expect from a topic about time within a General science - Mathematics forum?

Honesty, open mindedness, and a response to my statements/questions, ALL of them! Two out of three ain't bad! Also, even while under the Secular sub division of Forums, within a Christian environment I would expect some consistency in reference to God and scripture. Yes? No?

There are many unbelievers at CARM where 1 Corinthians 2:14 applies, but I am not one of them.

You're a better Christian then me then. I snare myself on that one too many times!

Note: One of the rules at CARM is to keep on topic within the forum and the opening post.

Since the original topic was Consciousness, and specifically God's Consciousness (which in my mind includes all that is,and verified by scripture) where do you feel I went off topic? I'm asking strictly from the perspective of any correction I need.

Cheers Inertia!

Comment

...<snip>...

Since the original topic was Consciousness, and specifically God's Consciousness (which in my mind includes all that is,and verified by scripture) where do you feel I went off topic? I'm asking strictly from the perspective of any correction I need.

Cheers Inertia!
                  Topic = What is this time stuff? ( See the original post )

Forum = General science / Mathematics

I apologize for not responding to every question asked, but I am constrained on the amount of time -spent- at CARM so I often respond by selecting a number of questions instead of attempting to answer many, many of them all at once.

Earlier you brought up quantum entanglement when discussing the concept of an instantaneous event. Information, even information for entangled particles cannot exceed the speed of light. However, if we know that two particles are spin-entangled, for example, due to conservation of angular momentum when we discover the spin of one, say it is spin up, we already know the spin of the other is spin down without analyzing it, even if it is on the other side of the universe. So, knowledge about another particle is derived by inference in our minds which takes about eight milliseconds to comprehend. It is not instantaneous but very useful.

You might be interested in this: instantaneous

There are other meanings for the word instantaneous in physics. For example the instantaneous velocity of a projectile can be calculated along its parabolic path by finding the tangent or the slope at a specific point along its path. That point ( an object without extension ) is a mathematical concept. It is not physical because there is no such thing as an object without extent.

Just in case you want more:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...d-and-velocity
                  Last edited by inertia; 05-22-18, 11:49 PM.

Heisenberg

Comment

Topic = What is this time stuff? ( See the original post )

Forum = General science / Mathematics

OK. I am guilty as charged! My apology.

I apologize for not responding to every question asked, but I am constrained on the amount of time -spent- at CARM so I often respond by selecting a number of questions instead of attempting to answer many, many of them all at once.

Ah! Understood Inertia. No apology necessary.

Earlier you brought up quantum entanglement when discussing the concept of an instantaneous event. Information, even information for entangled particles cannot exceed the speed of light. However, if we know that two particles are spin-entangled, for example, due to conservation of angular momentum when we discover the spin of one, say it is spin up, we already know the spin of the other is spin down without analyzing it, even if it is on the other side of the universe. So, knowledge about another particle is derived by inference in our minds which takes about eight milliseconds to comprehend. It is not instantaneous but very useful.

You might be interested in this: instantaneous

Yes, I understand how you view this. Good explanatory link. Thank you!

There are other meanings for the word instantaneous in physics. For example the instantaneous velocity of a projectile can be calculated along its parabolic path by finding the tangent or the slope at a specific point along its path. That point ( an object without extension ) is a mathematical concept. It is not physical because there is no such thing as an object without extent.

Just in case you want more:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...d-and-velocity
                    Again, very informative, and while I do not necessarily agree with these explanations, I certainly do comprehend how those more intellectually oriented in science do.
                    I thank you for indulging me Inertia. I'm sure it has been less than comfortable to try and address my none sense while so committed to quantitative reality. and again, my apology for any conflicts I've caused. I do look forward to following your posts here.

Sincerely.

Cheers Inertia!!!

Comment

2.) A second in time is: 9,912,631,770 periods of the transition between two hyperfine energy states in a Cesium 133 atom.

3.) Dinosaurs experienced 370 days per year instead of our current 365.25 days due to the moon's gravitational drag on Earth's orbit.

4.) The smallest amount of time is the Planck time. [ Example: During a -fast- blink of the eye, there are approximately five hundred and fifty thousand trillion, trillion, trillion Planck time units. ]

5.) There is no "now" in Physics. The fabric of the universe, spacetime, is closer to a fluid specified by coordinates and affected by gravity. Past, present, and future are a construction for our reference only.

6.) The Sun's light currently reaching us is eight minutes and twenty seconds old. From Proxima Centrauri is about four years old.

7.) Our perception of time seems shorter as one gets older. ( the oddball effect )

8.) The most precise clock is a strontium clock varying only a second in 15 billion years.

9.) The oldest known object in the universe is 13.1 billion years old. ( Dwarf Galaxy z8_GND_5296 )

10.) Next week your watch will be one second slow due to the Earth's spin deceleration. ( see the international earth rotation service )

Inertia

*Blog reference: Sci-techuniverse . blogspot . com /2016/01/13-facts-about-time-that-will-hurt-your.html
                      Just when I thought quantum mechanics was just well, weird, then it takes another leap into a deeper hole of strangeness.

Temporal causality in the quantum world can be reversed.

" An experiment has confirmed that quantum mechanics allows events to occur with no definite causal order. The work has been carried out by Jacqui Romero, Fabio Costa and colleagues at the University of Queensland in Australia, who say that gaining a better understanding of this indefinite causal order could offer a route towards a theory that combines Einstein’s general theory of relativity with quantum mechanics ."

More? see: https://physicsworld.com/a/quantum-m...ment-confirms/

Heisenberg

Comment

Just when I thought quantum mechanics was just well, weird, then it takes another leap into a deeper hole of strangeness.

Temporal causality in the quantum world can be reversed.

" An experiment has confirmed that quantum mechanics allows events to occur with no definite causal order. The work has been carried out by Jacqui Romero, Fabio Costa and colleagues at the University of Queensland in Australia, who say that gaining a better understanding of this indefinite causal order could offer a route towards a theory that combines Einstein’s general theory of relativity with quantum mechanics ."

More? see: https://physicsworld.com/a/quantum-m...ment-confirms/
                        Bumping up to the top

Heisenberg

Comment

Inertia

A history* of timekeeping.

The Earth’s rotation was the “master clock” against which other clocks were calibrated and adjusted on a regular basis, and as progress continued, technology was refined in order to provide for our need to achieve higher resolution. Pendulum clocks were gradually overtaken by quartz clocks, the first of which was built in 1927 by Warren Marrison and Joseph Horton at the then Bell Telephone Laboratories. Even so, quartz clocks rely on a mechanical vibration whose frequency depends on the size, shape, and temperature of the crystal. No two crystals are exactly alike, so they have to be calibrated against another reference. Finally, in 1967 the General Conference on Weights and Measures decided that the time had come to redefine the second as “the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the cesium-133 atom.

The future: a femtosecond optical frequency comb

* Most of the above was essentially copied from the linked source.

Heisenberg

Comment

Inertia

Time was a featured article in Physics World's favorite articles of 2018.

In the July issue, “Time examined and time experienced” an article surveys our changing scientific and philosophical understanding of time over the centuries.

Heisenberg

Comment

Inertia

Of five favorite articles in 2018, time was one of them.

Heisenberg

Comment

Working...
                              X