Announcement

Collapse

Message to all users:

https://carm.org/forum-rules

Super Member Subscription
https://carm.org/carm-super-members-banner-ad-signup

As most of you are aware, we had a crash to forums and were down for over two days a while back. We did have to do an upgrade to the vbulletin software to fix the forums and that has created changes, VB no longer provide the hybrid or threaded forums. There are some issues/changes to the forums we are not able to fix or change. Also note the link address change, please let friends and posters know of the changed link to the forums. For now this is the only link available, https://forums.carm.org/vb5/ but if clicking on forum on carm.org homepage it will now send you to this link. (edited to add https: now working.

Again, we are working through some of the posting and viewing issues to learn how to post with the changes, you will have to check and test the different features, icons that have changed. You may also want to go to profile settings,since many of the notifications, information in profile, also to update/edit your avatar by clicking on avatar space, pull down arrow next to login for user settings.

Edit to add "How to read forums, to make it easier."
Pull down arrow next to login name upper right select profile, or user settings when page opens to profile,select link in tab that says Account. Then select/choose options, go down to Conversation Detail Options, Select Display mode Posts, NOT Activity, that selection of Posts will make the pages of discussions go to last post on last page rather than out of order that happens if you choose activity threads. Then be sure to go to bottom and select SAVE Changes in your profile options. You can then follow discussions by going through the pages, to the last page having latest responses. Then click on the other links Privacy, Notifications, to select viewing options,the forums get easier if you open all the tabs or links in your profile, user settings and select options. To join Super Member, pull down arrow next to login name, select User Settings and then click on tab/link at top that says Subscriptions.

Thank you for your patience and God Bless.

Diane S
https://carm.org/forum-rules
See more
See less

This is why there is such confushion as to the age of the earth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • This is why there is such confushion as to the age of the earth

    Because men believe that the earth and man began with Noah in which eventually Abraham came down the line.
    But the OLD WORLD that was destroyed by the flood was before Noah.... Adam was created in the beginning when God created the earth... when ever that was.
    Just because it says In the Beginning God created the heavens and the earth, it does not say when the beginning was!
    We are now in another earth age, and we are now also awaiting the NEXT new heaven and earth to be replenished. And I believe from scripture proof, that we probably lived in the OLD WORLD before us as well.
    If we are expecting to live again in the next world in what ever blessings or curses we earn now in this life, so must we have done so in the old world that we don't remember.
    Peter mentions the old world, Solomon tells of the old world and the Bible tells us that there was an old world before that got so bad, that darkness was upon the deep and all men became violent so God had to destroy most all of the life in that earth age and start fresh with just a few people. Noah, his wife, his 3 sons and their wives who were the clean, then two of every flesh ( even of every nation) being the unclean because they were not found righteous as Noah was.

    So, Abraham whom would become father of many nations, was not even mentioned in the Bible until the old world was flooded and all destroyed in Gen. 6.
    That means, our timeline of how old the earth is way off. The earth is very old and again, if we plan to live in the new earth age, same earth, just replenished like Noah's family and those with him in the ark did, then we also lived in the last earth age.
    The purpose of my posts are not to cause bicker or division, but to show truth from the scripture for edifying of the soul. It does not matter what we think, it is what God's Word says that matters.

  • #2
    2 Peter 3: (KJV)
    6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

    7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

    8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.



    2 Peter 2 (KJV)
    4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

    5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

    6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

    Ecc.1:10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

    11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

    The purpose of my posts are not to cause bicker or division, but to show truth from the scripture for edifying of the soul. It does not matter what we think, it is what God's Word says that matters.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by afaithfulone4u View Post
      2 Peter 3: (KJV)
      6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

      7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

      8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.



      2 Peter 2 (KJV)
      4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

      5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

      6 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;

      Ecc.1:10 Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

      11 There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.
      I am sceptical when lists of individual verses are cited. You can support many a theory this way. You have included the Flood as part of the historical timeline which is a plus. Did you know that the science of long ages rejects the possibility of a global flood, because their evidence of dating flounders when the conditions imposed by a global catastrophe are factored in. It also a mistake to use the human study of past origins as an authority greater than Scripture. God's word holds up on its own.
      In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe (Hebrews 1:1-2).

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MarkSC View Post

        I am sceptical when lists of individual verses are cited. You can support many a theory this way. You have included the Flood as part of the historical timeline which is a plus. Did you know that the science of long ages rejects the possibility of a global flood, because their evidence of dating flounders when the conditions imposed by a global catastrophe are factored in. It also a mistake to use the human study of past origins as an authority greater than Scripture. God's word holds up on its own.
        Actually, scientists (whether Christians, Muslims, atheists, Hindus ...) reject a global flood because of thermodynamics and 14000 tree rings, 24000 lake varves and 800,000 ice layers - all undisturbed. Of course, many dating methods would not "flounder" if such a flood had happened (contra factum).
        Regards, HRG.

        "The universe doesn't care what happens to its inhabitants, but its inhabitants do" (Tyrrho).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by HRG View Post

          Actually, scientists (whether Christians, Muslims, atheists, Hindus ...) reject a global flood because of thermodynamics and 14000 tree rings, 24000 lake varves and 800,000 ice layers - all undisturbed. Of course, many dating methods would not "flounder" if such a flood had happened (contra factum).
          Dear HRG,

          Can you recommend a book or two that explains your statements. Thanks so much.
          Cynthia...2 Witnesses knew the events of Damascus Road. Ananias & Judas, Acts 9. Reject Paul? U must reject Luke, Peter 2Pet3:15-18 and Mark, Peter's student. James/John are complicit as well as Matthew.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by HRG View Post

            Actually, scientists (whether Christians, Muslims, atheists, Hindus ...) reject a global flood because of thermodynamics and 14000 tree rings, 24000 lake varves and 800,000 ice layers - all undisturbed. Of course, many dating methods would not "flounder" if such a flood had happened (contra factum).
            Just add the phrase, "Some, but not all.." to the beginning of your statement and we would have an agreement. I have no doubt that the majority of numbers are on your side. Even so, history shows us that the majority are not always right.
            In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe (Hebrews 1:1-2).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cynthia View Post

              Dear HRG,

              Can you recommend a book or two that explains your statements. Thanks so much.
              I hope he does not mention text books. They are riddled with errors.
              In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe (Hebrews 1:1-2).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cynthia View Post

                Dear HRG,

                Can you recommend a book or two that explains your statements. Thanks so much.
                One of the best technical scientific references available is The Age Of The Earth by geologist Brent Dalrymple.

                Another good read is an overview of radiometric dating techniques by a devout Christian scientist, Roger Wiens

                Radiometric Dating: A Christian Perspective
                "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MarkSC View Post

                  Just add the phrase, "Some, but not all.." to the beginning of your statement and we would have an agreement. I have no doubt that the majority of numbers are on your side. Even so, history shows us that the majority are not always right.
                  Of course no one in science claims the numbers are correct just because they are the overwhelming consensus. They became the overwhelming scientific consensus because they've been repeatedly verified and cross-corroborated to such a degree most are considered scientific fact.
                  "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tim H View Post

                    One of the best technical scientific references available is The Age Of The Earth by geologist Brent Dalrymple.

                    Another good read is an overview of radiometric dating techniques by a devout Christian scientist, Roger Wiens

                    Radiometric Dating: A Christian Perspective
                    Thanks for the recommendations. I am an old earther, and have read some explanations of the age of the earth by Dr Hugh Ross, astronomer.

                    Your signature block concerning the pathological liar in the white house--also applied to Obama, who lied every time his mouth flew open, IMO. Trump lies, of course, as does every other egomaniac. But I voted for him to keep Hilary out, who I consider a cold-blooded reptile.
                    Cynthia...2 Witnesses knew the events of Damascus Road. Ananias & Judas, Acts 9. Reject Paul? U must reject Luke, Peter 2Pet3:15-18 and Mark, Peter's student. James/John are complicit as well as Matthew.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tim H View Post

                      Of course no one in science claims the numbers are correct just because they are the overwhelming consensus. They became the overwhelming scientific consensus because they've been repeatedly verified and cross-corroborated to such a degree most are considered scientific fact.
                      Wrong. Modern science, the one you ascribe to, defines science in a way that only includes naturalistic conclusions. Thus, any reference to God is automatically debunked on the basis of what your definition is. That is not science, just a belief system embedded in your worldview.
                      In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe (Hebrews 1:1-2).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cynthia View Post

                        Thanks for the recommendations. I am an old earther, and have read some explanations of the age of the earth by Dr Hugh Ross, astronomer.
                        I nearly went down the road of old earth beliefs. Stay calm, read your Bible and you will see that it does not fit. God was quite able to do what he said he would do, and there are plenty of good scientists out there who will back this up. History also shows us that the long age philosophy had no roots in Christian thought, belonging to those who sought an alternative to Biblical truth.
                        In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe (Hebrews 1:1-2).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I am calm my friend. At 62, I have done a lot of reading and studying. Everyone must be convinced in their own mind.
                          Cynthia...2 Witnesses knew the events of Damascus Road. Ananias & Judas, Acts 9. Reject Paul? U must reject Luke, Peter 2Pet3:15-18 and Mark, Peter's student. James/John are complicit as well as Matthew.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by MarkSC View Post

                            I nearly went down the road of old earth beliefs. Stay calm, read your Bible and you will see that it does not fit. God was quite able to do what he said he would do, and there are plenty of good scientists out there who will back this up. History also shows us that the long age philosophy had no roots in Christian thought, belonging to those who sought an alternative to Biblical truth.
                            Sure - like those who sought an alternative to the Biblical truth of a non-moving Earth, as for instance Luther maintained. History shows us that It takes some time until the Bible is reinterpreted so that it fits results of science which just can't denied any more by reasonable people. Most Christians have already done with respect to the age of the Earth what their ancestors have done with respect to its motion.

                            Fuselier: "My God is not a deceiver. The Earth is old because it looks old",
                            Regards, HRG.

                            "The universe doesn't care what happens to its inhabitants, but its inhabitants do" (Tyrrho).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MarkSC View Post

                              Just add the phrase, "Some, but not all.." to the beginning of your statement and we would have an agreement. I have no doubt that the majority of numbers are on your side. Even so, history shows us that the majority are not always right.
                              The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet. - Damon Runyon

                              fusilier

                              James 2:24
                              Reality rules, Honor the truth - in memory of Chemist.

                              fusilier
                              James 2:24

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X